• Published 24th Jul 2015
  • 56,818 Views, 2,207 Comments

New Beginnings - Hiver



A magical accident have a human end up in Equestria in the form of a unicorn.

  • ...
69
 2,207
 56,818

Chapter 49

I frowned up at the force field bubble, shimmering just enough to hide the night sky from view and making the moon look pink.

“What are you thinking about?” Luna asked as I walked beside her as we moved though the gardens.

“Just... worrying. About that threat.” I admitted with a shrug.

“I won't let anyone hurt you.” Luna said and gave my ear a nuzzle.

I snorted at that. “Thank you, Princess. I'm completely helpless.”

“That's not what I-”

I grinned. “I know.” I frowned and continued; “But that is also a thing I worry about. Luna, if something does happen, focus on keeping things together. Not on getting me safe.”

She stopped and went quiet at that and I stopped, turning to look up at her.

Luna shook her head. “I'm not... I'm not sure I can promise that, Page.” she said softly. “I don't want to lose you.”

Moving up to her, I gave her a small nuzzle. “Assign a guard to me or something if it eases your mind. But I don't want you to risk Equestria or Canterlot to try to save me if there is an incident.”

She gave me an unhappy look but nodded, giving me a nuzzle back. “...I promise.”

I then grinned and booped her nose. “Besides, I'm not completely unable to defend myself.”

“I know.” she sighed and moved next to me, draping her wing over my back before moving past to nibble at a flower on the closest bush. “But you have to promise to stay safe and avoid trouble.”

I grinned and joined her to try one of the flowers. “No, I'll run directly into danger, yelling my name as loudly as I can.”

Hmm, that was actually not bad at all. Slightly sweet and sour.

That earned me a twack over the back of my head by her wing.

I chuckled and leaned against her side. “So... Twilight Sparkle is coming to the wedding.”

Luna grinned at that. “So she is... Well, I won't be able to really meet with her. Would you mind giving things a small poke?”

“I could...” I said before I hmm-ed. “But should we really? I mean, is it really fair to Twilight? She would kind of end up in the middle of things.”

“And my sister didn't with you?” Luna countered and draped her wing across my back again. “Besides, she is my sister's 'type'. It's coming sooner or later, doesn't she deserve a bit of a warning, to figure things out on her own first?”

Leaning softly against her side, I considered that. That was a very good point. It would be quite a surprise on its own, wouldn't it?

Figuring it out on her own would be better, wouldn't it?

“I suppose.” I finally said. “If you are sure about Celestia...”

Luna giggled at that and nodded. “I am. She talks about Twilight Sparkle often and I know that look in her eyes. She might not even realize it herself yet. I suspect that Princess Cadence has also noticed.”

“...Do you think she had something to do with you and me?” I asked with a frown. “How does 'princess of love' even work?”

“She can feel, see and affect the love between ponies. But you need not worry, she has not interfered.” Luna said before she frowned. “...Other than possibly to volunteer to take some lesser duties to give us more time together, now that I think about it.”

I frowned. “If you ask me, messing with people's emotions like that is really freaky. And really open for abuse.”

Luna grinned. “It's nothing like a love potion, My Page.” she reassured me. “There has to be something there for her to be able to do anything and even then, it's more like encouragement than making something happen.”

“...Even so.”

Smiling, Luna nuzzled at my ear. “Relax. I trust Cadence.”

“If that's not what she wants you to think.” I grumbled before I nodded. “Very well. If you trust her, I suppose I will as well.”

I just didn't like the idea of something messing with my head. Shrugging, though, I followed Luna back onto the main path through the garden, heading in the general direction of the hedge labyrinth.

Walking along, I glanced up at the shield bubble again.

There was really something disturbing about not being able to see the stars, it was just a faint pink shimmer across the black of the night.

It was a constant reminder that something was threatening my new home. And even worse, my... marefriend.

It was really fortunate that somebody was able to discover the threat, whatever it was, and get word out...

I stopped walking and frowned.

That was rather amazing luck, wasn't it?

“Page?” Luna asked, folding her wing on her side again as she turned to look at me.

“...Luna, you said you got a water damaged message concerning this threat, right?”

She nodded. “Indeed.”

“What would a vague threat to Canterlot result in? What is the procedure?”

“This.” she said with a shrug, looking around. “Recalling extra guards, checkpoints, more patrols. Shield around the city. Extra defenses to keep the populations safe.”

I slowly nodded as I sat down. “Recalling extra guards... from where?”

“Mostly other cities and villages.” Luna answered, looking thoughtful.

“If somebody knew that that would happen and they wanted to lower security somewhere else...” I said, looking up at the shield. “Not only that, but would the casting of the shield also expose Shining Armor? Even if it is his special talent, keeping this thing up has to be draining. It would mean that one of our stronger defensive assets would be disabled.”

Luna frowned. “...You are making a very good point.” she said and shifted her wings. “Are you sure that you were not military before ending up here?”

“No.” I answered with a shrug. “I just played a lot of games and... it's what I would have done.”

“Perhaps we should return and discuss the matter with Princess Cadence and Captain Armor.” Luna slowly said. “Let them know that it's a strong possibility that he might be one of the primary targets.”

I hesitated, but nodded. “I'm just guessing here, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt.”