• Published 24th Jul 2015
  • 56,742 Views, 2,207 Comments

New Beginnings - Hiver



A magical accident have a human end up in Equestria in the form of a unicorn.

  • ...
69
 2,207
 56,742

Chapter 30

I kept my eyes closed tight, pressed against the padded floor of the cart, trying my best to ignore the whistling wind and not to hyperventilate.

“I apologize.” Luna said, patting my back with her hoof. “With your interest in flying machines, I did not realize that you were afraid of heights.”

“I'm not!” I ground out, pressing down against the floor. “I'm afraid of hitting the ground at terminal velocity!”

“How is this different from my balcony? You have no problem with that.”

Forcing my eyes open, I looked up at her, said; “That had a railing!” and pointed forward to the open front of the cart being pulled through the night by four batponies. “And was not flying through the air!”

“The carriage is enchanted. You can not fall out of it unless you try.” Luna easily said over the sound of the wind. “You are safe.”

“Easy for you to say, you have wings.”

Luckily, the trip was not long. Less than a hour after we left Canterlot, I noticed the carriage starting to descend, heading back towards the ground and I forced my eyes open again to see a gathering of buildings below, lit up by glowing lights in the trees and what seemed like a market set up.

Taking a slow, deep breath, I struggled up to sit up again. This was important to Luna and if they thought that I was cowering next to her, it would ruin the effect.

“Luna, I still think we should have arrived earlier today, talk to the people in charge...”

“Nonsense!” she exclaimed. “I wish to meet the ponies, not the mayor of this town.” She spread her wings and flapped them once, going over the edge and starting to sink down towards the town below.

Luna...

“Down!” I ordered the batponies pulling the carriage. “Get us landed already.”

As the carriage went down for landing, I could hear her all the way from across the square.

"Citizens of Ponyville! We have graced your tiny village with our presence, so that you might behold the real princess of the night! A creature of nightmare no longer, but instead a pony who desires your love and admiration! Together we shall change this dreadful celebration into a bright and glorious feast!"

Damn it, Luna! What the fuck did I just say!?

Jumping off the carriage I trotted across the square in annoyance, jumping over a cowering pony on the cobblestones before I came to a stop, looking up at her. “What are you doing?” I asked the Princess quietly.

She blinked down at me. “I am trying to..”

“Frighten them half to death?” I whispered back. “Luna, this is not the same crowds you were used to back a thousand years ago. Princess Celestia does not use that volume anymore, they connect it to Nightmare Moon, not royalty.”

“Then what...”

I sighed, looking back at the cowering ponies, the purple element bearer slowly approaching across the square, wearing... a large fake beard and a hat with bells on it?

“Lay down. Talk like you talk with me.” I instructed quietly. “Don't try to be impressive, be approachable.”

Luna looked hesitant, but nodded and folded her legs beneath her, laying down and I turned to the cowering crowd, ruthlessly stomping my fear of public speaking into the ground as I spoke up. “Sorry everyone, there were some culture clash here. Princess Luna did not mean to frighten you, simply to congratulate you on your wonderful festival!”

There was little movement, just some lifted heads and more trembling.

Oh for crying out loud.

Fine.

Actions speak louder than words.

Laying down next to Luna, I leaned slightly against her side, causing her to blink slightly in surprise down at me before smiling softly.

That got a greater reaction from the crowd and more ponies raised their heads to look, starting to climb to their hooves again.

“Princess Luna!” The purple element bearer exclaimed. “I'm...”

“Starswirl the Bearded. We recognize your costume.” Luna said, using the same volume she used in private. “You even got the bells right.”

“Oh! You recognized it!” she said happily. “I'm actually...”

“Twilight Sparkle. Our sister's student and Bearer of the Element of Magic.”

Sparkle blinked. “Oh... yes. May I ask what you are doing here, Princess?” she asked carefully, right front hoof slightly lifted off the ground as her eyes flicked to me.

“We wished to show that We are no longer Nightmare Moon.” Luna explained. “We wish to change this night to not be one of terror, but of celebration.”

“But it's not just fear, Princess.” Sparkle explained. “There is plenty of fun.”

Luna looked at her curiously. “What kind of fun do you speak of?”



XXXXXXXXXX



“Huzzah!” Luna cheered as she managed to toss the ball through the ring at the stand, picking up the next one.

It was good to see that she was entertained, at least, and the ponies did seem to be reacting better to her presence. At least they were not cowering in fear, even if the kids hid from her.

One step at a time.

“Sorry, I didn't catch your name?” Sparkle asked me as we watched Luna try to win a stuffed toy.

I blinked at that before I chuckled. “Sorry. I'm Blank Page, I'm a friend of Princess Luna. She invited me to come along, so here I am.” I said with a shrug.

Sparkle looked thoughtful before she nodded. “I see.”

There was a squeak like a frightened chicken and I looked over in surprise as a pink pony dressed like a chicken ran away from Luna after having almost run into her rounding the corner of the stall.

“What in the world...”

“It's Pinkie Pie.” Twilight Sparkle semi-explained to me and continued; “You get used to it.” before she trotted over to talk to Luna.