• Published 24th Jul 2015
  • 56,689 Views, 2,207 Comments

New Beginnings - Hiver



A magical accident have a human end up in Equestria in the form of a unicorn.

  • ...
69
 2,207
 56,689

Chapter 20

“Blank Page to see the Princess.” I said and stopped outside her door.

The guards looked at me passively for a moment before the right one nodded and pulled the door open for me, letting me inside.

Walking past him, I let the door swing closed behind me. The room was empty, not that it surprised me as the Moon had been rising when I entered the tower so she was likely out on the balcony.

As annoyed with her as I was, I knew better than to bother her then. Instead, I dropped my bag on one of the chairs and walked over to check out her bookshelf.

I was still not sure if I was going to yell at her or...

“Page, welcome.”

I turned my head, looking back at the Princess as she entered the room. “Luna,” I answered, turning to her. “Why?”

She stopped, looking a bit taken aback. “Why what?”

“What could have possibly compelled you to have my book published after I specifically refused to even borrow half of what I needed to do it!?”

Luna frowned. “I wished to help my friend. You did not wish to borrow the money and end up indebted to me. It is not a loan, it is a gift.”

I stared at her for a long moment. “Luna... having that many books printed alone would have cost over ten thousand bits. That's not even counting paying for the cover artwork and having it done quickly.”

“It is not a major sum for us,” she said hesitantly, one front hoof lifted off the floor. “...You do not like it?”

Groaning, I rested my forehead against the bookshelf... which was easier said than done when you are a unicorn, but I managed it.

“...I did, Luna. I just wish you had not done it,” I sighed and pulled back before I turned to her. “Thank you, but I wanted to do it on my own.”

She frowned sadly. “...We apologize. We did not realize.”

Damn it.

How could I be mad at her for wanting to help and having the ability to do so in a way that, for her, was basically trivial?

“I am thankful.” I sighed and walked over, jumping up to lay down on the couch. “Annoyed, but thankful. How did you even manage to get the edited version of the draft? And how did you get such a good cover?”

“The publisher had it still,” she clarified. “As for the cover, you did show me the 'Star Wars' in your dreams. I... guessed. If you did not like it, it could be changed for the second edition.”

Yeah, sure. Like I would even sell all of the five thousand books printed. Oh well, worst-case scenario, I could always return all the unsold books to Luna.

That thought perked me up a bit.

Let's see how she likes it when she ends up with four thousand, nine hundred and twelve first editions of 'A New Hope'. I'll even sign them all for her so she would feel worse about throwing them away.

“Well, nobody can say you are not industrious when you wish to be.” I sighed, before I shook my head as she walked over to the table, pouring herself a cup of tea.

“You should relax, Page. It is a good book, it will sell.”

I sighed. “No offense, Luna... but your literary preferences is a thousand years out of date.”

She gave me an amused look, “Dreams and stories 'are' part of my realm of powers, Page. I can tell a good story from a bad one; both the original and your new adaptation are good stories.”

“Well, just don't get your hopes up too much. Just because a story is good doesn't mean people will buy it.”

Or that it's well written.

I was starting to think my life here would be a lot less complicated without interfering Princesses... and now that I thought about it...

“You know the rumor going around the castle?” I asked a moment after Luna sat down on one of the chairs, sipping on her liquid sugar.

She raised her eyebrows. “Hmm? Which one?”

...Which one do you think?

I gave her an annoyed look. “The one about you and me, Princess.”

“Ah, that one.”

“I have reasons to believe that your sister started it...” I said and shifted in annoyance. “I have no solid proof though.”

Luna looked thoughtful and sipped at her beverage again. “...Now considering it, it does sound like something my sister would do. At times she can be a bit of a prankster... preferably those that can in no way be tracked back to her,” she slowly said, putting her cup down on the table. “Celestia is quite a skilled politician and I know from experience... on both sides... that she is a menace on the battlefield, coming up with tactics nopony else has ever considered before. It seems to me that during the thousand or so years I was in exile, she had channeled those impulses into other matters. Not that she was not a bit of a prankster when we were growing up.”

I raised an eyebrow at that. “...Could she not get a hobby other than messing with people?”

Luna just smiled.

“When is her birthday? I'll get her a model airship to build or something.” I finally sighed, resting my side against the backrest of the couch.

That brought a laugh out of the Princess. “She would quite enjoy that, I believe.”