• Published 22nd Jul 2015
  • 9,922 Views, 1,068 Comments

Daughters of Glimmer - Summer Dancer



Starlight reverses the ages of the Mane Six and raises them as her own.

  • ...
32
 1,068
 9,922

Chapter 17 - From the Dead

“How do you spell the word ‘Justice’?” The six-year-old ponies sat their desks, pondering.

“J…u…s-t-i-s?” Sunshine tried.

“Not quite, Sunshine.”

“J-u-s-t-i-s-s?” said Sapphire.

“No, but keep trying,” Starlight encouraged.

“J-u-s-t-i-c-e,” Moonlight stated. “Justice.”

“Very good Moonlight, but allow your sisters the chance to answer the questions next time, alright?”

Moonlight sighed. “Okaaay.”

“Let’s try another word. How aboouuut…” Starlight peered inside her book. “Principal.”

“Oh Mom, not that word,” Prism groaned. “I hate that word. I never get it right!”

“You’ll learn how to spell it soon enough, Prism. Why don’t you try it again?”

With a loud sigh, Prism crossed her forehooves and looked down at her desk’s surface. “P-r-i-n-c-i-p-l-e?”

“Not that kind of Principal, though you did spell it right. Try it again, my starling.”

“P…r…i…n….c…a…p…”

“P-r-i-n-c-i-p-a-l. Principal,” Moonlight interrupted, earing a deep scowl from Prism.

Starlight closed her book. “Moonlight, may I see you in the kitchen?” Moonlight huffed and slid out of her desk, leaving her other sisters to chatter.

“I know, it wasn’t very nice,” Moonlight said as the two stepped into the kitchen. “But we’ve been going over the same ten words for two weeks now, and they still don’t know how to spell them! Couldn’t we go over some new words and come back to this lesson later?”

“Now, Moonlight, what have we discussed? Everypony moves on together. We shouldn’t leave anypony in the dust just because they don’t understand a lesson right away. How would you feel if you didn’t understand something, and needed just a little more time learning it? Would you like it if your sisters and I simply moved onto something else regardless of how you felt? You’d feel pretty left out, wouldn’t you?”

Moonlight hung her head as the words sunk in. “I’d feel awful.”

“Instead of feeling that you have a better grasp of the subject more than your sisters, perhaps you should start humbling yourself and see how you can help them. I know you’re itching to move on, but you need to put those feelings aside. Your sisters are your family, Moonlight. And families work as a team. I want you girls to help each other, not make each other feel bad.”

Moonlight lifted her eyes. “I understand, mother.”

Starlight smiled and kissed Moonlight on the cheek. “That’s my girl.”

When they walked back into the classroom, Moonlight approached Prism, who turned her head away. “I’m sorry that I made you feel bad. You’re really a great speller, Prism. I was just too caught up in my own interests to realize it.”

Prism didn’t answer.

“I know a way you can spell Principal.”

After a slight pause, Prism turned to face Moonlight. She still looked a little upset, but her eyes were curious. “Yeah? How?”

“Well, think of it this way. The Principal is like your pal! P-r-i-n-c-i-p-a-l.”

Prism thought a moment. “The Principal is my pal. P-r-i-n-c-i... p-a-l. Principal?”

“That’s it! You got it right!”

Prism’s face lit up like the sun. “P-r-i-n-c-i-p-a-l!” She shot up from her desk and flew circles around the room. “P-r-i-n-c-i-p-a-l!”

Delighted, the other girls joined in on the spelling, and soon the room was filled with tiny voices shouting out the correct letters of the word.

Chuckling, Starlight tapped her pointing stick against the chalk board. “Alright, settle down, ladies.” Prism finally settled down in her seat, and the girls quieted down. “Now that I’m sure we’re on the same page—how do we spell Principal?”

She grinned and cupped a hoof around her ear as her daughters happily chorused, “P-r-i-n-c-i-p-a-l!”

“Excellent, starlings!” She winked at Moonlight, who grinned back.


Twilight awoke to screaming machines and bright lights. She gasped loudly, flailing her hooves in panic.

“Twilight! Twilight, it’s alright! Nurse, I need some help, please! It’s alright, Twilight, it’s alright.” A gentle but firm hoof pushed against her chest, keeping her in place. “It’s okay.

As Twilight struggled to control her breathing, her eyes flitted up to the pony standing over her. “Butterc—Fluttershy,” she whispered with the slight shake of her head. A nurse came bustling in and pressed some buttons, silencing the machines. “Wait, what…what’s happening, what’s going on?”

“I’m here,” Fluttershy assured her, and stepped back as the nurse checked Twilight over.

“Do you know your name?” the nurse asked, shining a light in Twilight’s eyes.

“T…Twilight Sparkle.”

“What nation is this?”

“Equestria.”

“What’s today’s date?”

“June…June twelfth. A week before this year’s Summer Sun Celebration.”

The nurse switched off the light and smiled. “Very good, Princess Twilight.” She checked Twilight’s vitals with brisk efficiency before giving a satisfied nod. “Alright, hang tight. I’ll be back with your Doctor. Don’t worry—he’s the best there is.”

The nurse left before Twilight could ask her any questions. Fluttershy returned to her side, fussing with Twilight’s blanket. “Are you alright?”

“I think so,” Twilight replied, blinking around at her hospital room, looking slightly bewildered. “What happened? Where are we? Where are the others?”

Fluttershy started to open her mouth when a stallion flanked by three other ponies with clipboards strode in. “Princess Twilight,” he smiled, approaching her bed. “Do you remember me? My name is Doctor Horse.”

Twilight eyed him carefully. “Yes, I’ve…I’ve seen you before…”

Doctor Horse’s eyes crinkled as he grinned. Yes, he looked the same way Twilight remembered him—except now, his mane was streaked with silver, and he had deep lines in his face. “I’ll never forget how Rainbow Dash broke back into the hospital just to read that Daring Do book. It’s a story we tell all the patients to distract them from their injections. The fillies and colts here love it especially.”

“…What happened?”

Doctor Horse’s smile was replaced with something more serious and cautious. “What’s the last thing you remember, Twilight?”

Twilight wracked her brain. “I…we were on a train back to Ponyville.”

Doctor Horse gave a nod. “Unfortunately, upon your arrival, your friend Rarity started experiencing a panic attack. Providentially, my staff and I were there in case of an emergency.” He paused, allowing Twilight to absorb this information. “We were able to escort all six of you in, but as soon as the nurses started giving Rarity treatment, Rainbow Dash tried to intervene…quite violently.”

Twilight’s mouth went dry.

“Don’t worry, they’re perfectly safe. We had them sedated, and they’re resting in separate rooms just down the hall.”

Twilight looked to Fluttershy for confirmation, and the pegasus nodded solemnly. Twilight tried to think back to the moments they arrived, but her mind was too foggy. She blinked confusedly. “I had a breakdown too?”

“No, not quite. After the doctors had to restrain Rainbow Dash, you lost consciousness.” He flipped a page in his clipboard. “High stress, exhaustion, and a significant raise in blood pressure. Something we’ll need to mind.”

Twilight glanced at the ponies standing to the side, taking notes. “W…What about Applejack and Pinkie Pie?”

“Oh, they’re doing fine. We performed a brief check-up on all three,” he said, nodding at Fluttershy. “But everything checks out nicely. We are, however, expecting a number of counselors and psychologists.”

Fluttershy fidgeted.

“Other than the obvious, the six of you are perfectly safe. The royal guard has closed off the entire wing, so only you ladies are occupying this floor. In addition to the guards, you’ll be under my protection as well. My staff and I will see to it that nopony enters the wing without proper clearance.” His stern, yet protective tone relaxed Twilight a little. Doctor Horse was a no-nonsense pony when it came to the safety of his patients. “Do you have any questions, Princess Twilight?”

“Just Twilight is fine,” she said with a small smile. “When can I get out of this bed? I’m fine, really.”

“Well, I’d like to run just a few more tests, but after which, I don’t see why not. I suggest going easy, however. Keep yourself as relaxed as possible. I need to do a quick run downstairs, but I’ll return shortly. I’ll have one of the nurses bring you some food.” With another nod to Fluttershy, Doctor Horse and the trio of ponies with clipboards left the room.

“Do you want any water?” Fluttershy asked.

“No thank you.”

Fluttershy nodded and pulled a nearby chair over and sat next to Twilight’s bed. “You mustn’t rush yourself. I saw you when you fainted. You looked so exhausted.

“And now I’ve had my rest,” Twilight smiled. “Really, it’s no big deal. I’m more concerned about Rarity and Rainbow Dash…” She thought back to her last waking memory and shook her head. “I take it Doctor Blank was being vague for my benefit.”

“They had to be careful. They didn’t know how much you could take.”

They sat in silence for a moment. “…Fluttershy? What’s Ponyville like?”

“…I don’t really know. Before the train could even pull in, there were...there were just…tons of ponies…tons. I couldn’t even get a good look at the rest of Ponyville because the crowds were so large.” Fluttershy shook her head, her eyes almost dazed. “So much yelling and screaming. So many bright flashes…cameras, I think. And when the train stopped, Rarity just started screaming. I-I don’t even know what happened. I don’t remember much else…everything was such a blur…it was almost like I was dreaming.”

After a while, Twilight spoke quietly. “I guess they know we’re alive now.”

“Mmhm.”

The clock on the wall ticked by as they lapsed into more silence. Twilight’s eyes fell on Fluttershy’s cast. “So…um…they did an observation?”

Fluttershy smiled. “My wing really is irreparable, yes. Let’s not worry about it now, Twilight. We need to focus on the others…and about where we go from here.”

“Where we go from here,” Twilight half laughed, half scoffed, falling back against her pillow and rubbing her forehead. She frowned as her hoof grazed over a thick bandage covering her left temple. She supposed that was from the fall. “Where could we possibly go from here, Fluttershy? I can’t see my family like this, I’m a mess!

“They’re dying to see you, I’m sure! Whatever problems we have, I’m sure our families will help us through it.”

Twilight pressed her lips tightly, blinking back tears. “I don’t even know what to say to them. We’ve been gone for eighteen years…my family thought I was dead.”

Fluttershy brushed a lock of Twilight’s mane behind her ear. “Tell them that you love them. That’s all you need to say.”

Twilight choked, and Fluttershy leaned in to hug her.


“Those are beautiful,” Nurse Redheart said, peering over Pinkie Pie’s shoulder. Pinkie glanced up and smiled before returning to her coloring. Sine the wing had been closed off for them, Applejack and Pinkie Pie sat in the lounge area in between patient rooms.

Applejack sat back quietly as she watched Pinkie’s drawings pile up. The nurses had given her a box of crayons and some paper to color with a few hours ago, and the pink pony hasn’t stopped coloring since.

Applejack wasn’t sure that Pinkie’s sudden desire to color pictures was just Pinkie being Pinkie or something else—she wasn’t entirely sure of her friends’ mental state. Heck, she wasn’t entirely sure about her own mental state at this point.

“They’re quite good,” Redheart told her as they watched Pinkie work. “It’s a great way of communicating if need be. That’s good news.”

The farm pony nodded absently as another nurse came bustling up. “Nurse Redheart, there’s a fax that came in that needs your si—” She trailed off, her eyes darting between Applejack and Pinkie Pie.

“My signature?” Redheart finished pointedly but keeping politeness. “Who is the fax from?”

Applejack raised an eyebrow and the young nurse swallowed weakly. “C…Conference in Fillydelphia.”

She locked gazes with Applejack, and her coat seemed to pale. Nurse Redheart swiftly turned the other nurse around with a firm hoof. “You’ll have to show me, Nurse Sweetheart. Please excuse us, Applejack.”

Applejack nodded as Redheart steered her now sweating co worker down the hall. She eyed the vending machine next to their table and wondered if Nurse Redheart would be willing to spare a bit or two when she returned. Anything in that machine was sure to be better than the food they served here.

What I wouldn’t give for a nice bowl of porridge. She shook her head. I mean, apple pie.

Pinkie Pie brushed aside another finished picture, and Applejack slid it over with a hoof, curious. Her face instantly grew stormy.

It was a picture of Starlight Glimmer.

Applejack started to crumble it up, but Pinkie quickly snatched it away. “Pinkie, give it here.”

Pinkie shook her head and hid it on the other side if the table with a stubborn glare. “You can’t draw pictures like that,” she growled. “Give it here.

When Pinkie didn’t budge, Applejack threw up her hooves. “Fine,” she spat, hopping down from her seat at the table. “If you wanna to draw pictures of psychopaths, keep ‘em. Keep ‘em all! I ain’t gonna risk upsettin’ you. I’ve had more than my fair share of breakdowns today, thank you very much.”

Applejack stormed off and Pinkie kept drawing.


“Those things’ll kill you,” a deep, gravelly voice said.

Diamond Tiara glanced up from her chair and pursed her lips, glancing half-heartedly at the cigarette in her hoof. “Guess I just needed something.”

The heavy-set stallion with a bushy mustache plucked it from her grasp. “May-be. But not this.” He leaned over Diamond’s shoulder and snuffed it out in an ashtray. “Took me forever to quit—don’t you start too. What you need’s a strong drink. Then get back to business as usual.”

Diamond laughed. “Business as usual, hmm?”

The stallion walked around the table and sank into a chair across from Diamond with a heavy sigh. “They really are alive, aren’t they?”

“Every single one,” Diamond beamed, her voice wavering slightly. “Six dead heroes…alive…well…and teenagers. Not something you see every day.”

They fell silent as they listened to the commotion from outside the Hospital. Ponies were fighting to get in, screaming and yelling, demanding answers. Despite the chaotic masses, the guards were able to hold them back.

“Did you warn the families?” she asked quietly.

“I did.” He lifted his shoulders half-heartedly. “It went as well as expected. They’ll have personal escorts over here, I have a few ponies on it.”

Diamond nodded, staring at the paper in her hooves.

The elevator dinged, and Doctor Horse stepped out, scowling at the crowd outside. Reporters fought tooth and nail to get pictures of him as he passed the glass front doors. “Heaven forbid if there’s a patient out there in need of medical treatment and he or she can’t even get inside.”

“How are they, Doctor?” Diamond asked as he approached their table.

“Not suitable for any interviews,” he said pointedly. “But they appear to be in good physical health, with a few minor exceptions. Psychologically, they’ll need intensive care.”

“So exactly what do I reveal to the public? The fact that their friends and neighbors are alive, but they’re trapped in teenage bodies and might be former shells of themselves? Or maybe the fact that our new ruler Starlight Glimmer was somehow responsible for their disappearance and is currently on the loose somewhere in Equestria?”

“Reveal only what is necessary,” Doctor Horse said. “The rest is for the girls to tell. Whatever they’ve been through these past eighteen years, I’m sure they’ll want to disclose themselves.”

Diamond sighed. “Alright. Thank you, Doctor.” As the doctor left to converse with the receptionists up front, Diamond crossed out a few lines on her paper and scribbled down something else. “I’m really starting to miss that cigarette, Snips.”

There was a rumble in Snip’s chest as he chuckled. “You’ll be fine. You’re the strongest Mayor I’ve ever known, Diamond. This town would be a big pile of ash without you.”

“You mean a big pile of ash without Discord—where in Equestria he disappeared to, I have no idea.”

“You’ve kept the sanity.”

“Yeah, well, we’ll see how long that lasts.” After a few more scribbles, Diamond straightened the lapels of her lilac colored blazer. “Care to read over my speech before I throw myself to the wolves?”

“Don’t need to. Whatever you tell ‘em, I’ll be there to back you up one hundred percent.” Snips hopped down from his chair, fidgeting with his bowtie. “I’mma swing by the loo real fast, then I’ll join ya.”

“Hurry back, Governor,” she said as he scuttled off. She stood up from her own chair and reached up to check to see if her updo was still pristine. “Ribbon Slice?”

Ribbon Slice, who had been quietly standing off to the side, gave a small squeak and rushed to her boss’ side, clutching her clipboard to her chest. “Yes, Mayor Tiara?”

“Get me coffee. And lots of it.”

Yes, Mayor Tiara.”


Princess Celestia breathed in the scent of lemongrass and sage. The sounds of birds chirping in the distance filled the air with song, and the rays of the warm sun tickled her face. “More tea, Sister?”

Celestia opened her eyes and smiled, levitating her dainty teacup in the air. As Luna filled her cup, the eldest glanced around at the weeping willows that hung over them, its leaves flowing gently in the breeze. Not too far from their set up, she could spot the crystal-clear waterfalls that towered over the trees. She rather enjoyed swimming in the springs.

“What are your plans tonight, Sister?” Luna asked.

“Oh, I don’t know. Maybe walk by the fireflies. They’re having a special event, I hear. The young ones will choose which ones to pair with for mating season.”

“That sounds…interesting,” Luna replied, taking a sip of her tea.

Celestia chuckled. “I know it doesn’t sound terribly exciting, but I actually do enjoy watching creatures find their soulmates. I suppose it’s the sense of peace and unity that draws me to them.”

Luna nodded. “I’ve been rather drawn to the possums here as well. They’ve been teaching me most intriguing recipes for—” Luna’s sentence stopped dead in its tracks at the sight of Celestial Guards flying in from above. She squinted, shielding her eyes from the sun. “Are you expecting anypony?”

“No, are you?”

The guards landed in front of them and immediately gave a sharp salute. “At ease,” Celestia said with a nod. “What brings you all here? Did something happen?”

The guards exchanged unsure glances, and Luna’s eyes narrowed.

“W-Well, Princess,” one of the guards began. “I’m not sure how to—”

“Oh! Just a moment.” Celestia’s horn glowed, and the others watched as she lowered the sun just behind the trees; the sky turned from azure blue to a scarlet red and pink as the day neared its end. “There we are. Now, what was it you wanted to tell me?”

“…There’s been a slight…development.”

Luna rolled her eyes. “Then I’m sure that whatever it is, Starlight Glimmer should be able to handle it.”

“They wouldn’t have come all this way to the Elysian fields if it’s something minor,” Celestia said, watching the guards with concern. “Has there been an attack, my little ponies? A war of some kind?”

“No, no war, Your Highness…but it does have something to do with Starlight Glimmer.”

Luna scoffed while Celestia smiled, happy at the dismissal of war. “Well now, prey tell! What news do you bring?”

As Celestia made to take another sip of tea, the guard gathered his courage and drew a breath. “Your Highness, Twilight and her friends are alive.”

The teacup shattered.


Twilight slowly wandered past the doorway to Rarity’s room. The unicorn sat on her bed, no longer hooked to the machines. “Hi,” she called out, looking a tad lost.

Twilight stepped back in the center. “Hi.”

A pause.

“Would you mind terribly if I brushed your mane?”

Twilight suddenly realized that her mane was still in the same style Starlight had given her since she was four years old. The nurses had cleaned and brushed it, but they had it restyled to the way it was before, hairclip and all.

Swallowing hard, Twilight nodded vigorously and joined Rarity on her hospital bed.

Rarity’s mane was already loose, free of the bun she had worn all her life. It lacked its usual curls, but it still looked nice. “The nurses were gracious enough to give me a brush and a little bit of mouse,” she said as she unfastened Twilight’s hairclip. “One of them even offered to go fetch me some mane curlers.”

After separating Twilight’s mane into different sections, Rarity started to brush. “…Have you talked to Rainbow Dash? They won’t let me leave this room, let alone see her.”

Twilight chewed her lip. “Rainbow…after she woke up, she started screaming and fighting again. They had to strap her to the bed. Doctor Horse and his team are in her room now. They won’t let any of us in there.”

There was a pause, then a sniffle. She continued to work on Twilight’s mane. “You’re going to look beautiful when you meet with your family. Shining, Cadence, the baby…”

Twilight frowned. “Flurry Heart isn’t a baby anymore. We saw her at the trial, remember? She’s…well she’s around our age. Technically.”

“…Oh, that’s right. Well, there’s one bright side to this. Tons of ponies in their forties would kill to have our youthful looks.” Twilight started to turn her head to face Rarity, but her white hooves kept her head facing front. “I’m sure Spike will be happy to see us too.”

“I just hope he’s alright,” Twilight sighed. “Mo—Starlight did something to him, I just know it. The question is, what? What could she possibly do to a Dragon that large?

“I have no idea, Darling. There we are.” She motioned for Twilight to turn around to face her and fluffed her mane a little. “In true Twilight Sparkle fashion.”

Twilight smiled as she ran her hoof through her mane, back to the way it was. “Thanks, Rarity.”

“Think nothing of it.” Her smile dimmed. “I do apologize about my little…outburst. I don’t know what got into me. So very inappropriate.”

“Rarity, don’t apologize,” Twilight said, appalled. “We’ve been through a lot. If anypony blames you for it, they have no right.”

“Be as it may, I’m hoping against hope that I don’t greet Sweetie Belle that way,” Rarity sighed, making small adjustments to Twilight’s ends. “It’s not something a ten-year-old filly should have to deal with.”

Twilight stared but said nothing.

Author's Note:

From the dead has two meanings here :twilightblush:

To those who have been waiting, I apologize. A lot of things has happened in my life, and I haven't been able to get to this one. But, I feel that I should continue this for whoever still wants to read further.

These chapters will consist of comfort, healing, and some Glimmer-hunting if that's quite alright :twilightsmile: