• Published 22nd Jul 2015
  • 9,911 Views, 1,068 Comments

Daughters of Glimmer - Summer Dancer



Starlight reverses the ages of the Mane Six and raises them as her own.

  • ...
32
 1,068
 9,911

Chapter 11 - Only In Memory

Princess Luna sighed as she walked through Ponyville. Every subject she passed bowed with the most forlorn expressions she had ever seen. It had been a week since the disappearance of the element bearers, and the town had gone into a frenzy. She continued on her way, taking the time to nod at each pony. She wasn’t in a rush. It wasn’t long before the Friendship Castle neared, in all its splendor and beauty.

Guards that were stationed around the entrance stood aside and saluted to their ruler as she walked into the entrance.

It was a chaotic sight. More guards, both Solar and Lunar kept a silent vigil in the halls. Reporters had flown in, snapping pictures and jotting down notes. Luna paid them no mind and brushed past them and headed to the throne room. Ever since Spike sent the alarming letter to Canterlot, the Friendship Castle turned into a base camp for both private investigators and friends and family of the element bearers.

Quiet sobbing floated to the Princess's’ ears, causing her to sigh again. She would give anything to be somewhere, anywhere else but here.

The throne room was crowded with ponies. Concerned, angry and some hysterical family members and friends filled the room, voices and sobs overlapping in a sorrowful blend of music. Luna’s concerned eyes grazed over the colorful crowd, quickly rummaging her mind over what she could possibly say to them.

Just then, she heard a young, slightly squeaky voice call out her name. Her head turned just in time to see Sweetie Belle push her way past a few ponies. “Princess Luna!” She cried out again.

Her hooves clipped the cold marble as she rushed in front of Luna, the corners of her fearful green eyes gathering tears. “Y-You can see dreams! Can’t you find out where Rarity is when she’s asleep?”

Luna opened her mouth, but the other two Crusaders appeared beside their friend before she could answer. Apple Bloom uttered a guttural sob as she reached up and buried her face into Luna’s chest-plate. “Please,” she choked, her voice muffled. “Please tell us you’ll find our sisters! Big Mac’s been more quiet than usual, an’...an’ Granny f-fell out of bed today...I...I’m scared!”

Luna gently stroked her red mane and pulled back, placing a hoof under the filly’s chin. “It would be foolish of me to make such promises, young Apple Bloom. However, I will promise that I will try my very hardest to bring your sisters back to you, for they are dear to me, too.”

The youngest Apple sniffled and nodded slowly. Luna’s gaze shifted to Scootaloo, who was standing off to the side. She hastily wiped her eyes and swallowed hard, her lower lip giving off a slight tremble. Luna took a step forward and slowly rubbed the top of her head. “Princess!”

Luna’s head snapped up and a stocky pony with a thick mustache and white coat came forward with a crying unicorn female with a pink coat and purple mane at his side. “Is there word? Anything at all?”

“I..”

“Whoever put their dirty paws on my baby girl deserves to burn in Tartarus!” a mare with a short orange mane shouted, slamming down a hoof. A stallion with a rainbow mane spoke to her in soft mutters, to which she replied sharply, “CALM?! How can I be bucking calm when our daughter is missing, Bow?!”

“How could this happen?” a portly blue mare with an apron asked a lanky yellow stallion as they bounced two wailing babies in their forelegs. Luna at least recognized these two, but faintly.

“Nopony would dare hurt Pinkie Pie, would they, Carrot?”

Luna nervously blinked from face to face, running all the reassuring things she could say through her head at once. “Please, everypony….”

A young mare held with a grey coat and violet eyes hugged a sobbing stallion, murmuring, “Fluttershy...oh, Fluttershy!”

Luna’s heart skipped a beat when warm breath tickled her ear. “Princess. Your sister is in need of your presence.” Luna turned to the Celestial guard, and judging by the look in his eyes, the situation was far worse then he let on. With one last glance towards the crowd of ponies, she followed the Celestial guard down the darkened purple halls of the castle.

After half a minute of silence, the guard stopped at a closed door and stood attention, giving a single salute. Luna gave a firm nod of thanks before pushing the door open with a hoof.

What used to be Twilight’s Library was now a pitch dark room with the sole exception with a ray of golden light. That light was focused on a fear-stricken pony at a table, shaking like a leaf. Tears leaked down the pony’s face. “P-Please believe me! I never had anything to do with--”

“Spike mentioned how you treated Rarity in Manehattan two moons ago,” a sharp voice spat. “The judges favored her over you, and so did your assistant. An act out of jealousy, perhaps?”

“I didn’t hurt Rarity! Or her friends! I don’t even know them! I swear it!”

A large, slender body blocked Luna’s view of the mare as the sound of slamming hooves threatened to burst her eardrums. “You’re LYING TO ME!”

“SISTER!” Luna yelled.

The figure stopped short and whirled around, her mane falling over half of her face. “...Luna?”

The lights immediately cut back on, giving view of all of the bookshelves and Daring Doo posters on the walls. The shivering and quaking ball of a pony sat at Twilight’s desk, her parchments still neatly placed at the corner.

Princess Celestia blinked rapidly and eased her hooves off the desk. “I...I am sorry,” she muttered quietly, trying to regain her composure. “I did not mean to raise my voice to you, my little pony. Please, forgive me.”

The mare swallowed hard as she bobbed her head. “O-Of course, P-Princess.” She looked between the two royal sisters, shrinking back slightly. “C-Can I go now? Please?”

Celestia sighed. “Of course you may. I will have somepony escort you back to Manehattan.”

The mare was already halfway across the room. “No need,” she peeped, bolting out the door. Luna turned her head and narrowed her eyes slightly.

“Don’t look at me like that,” Celestia said quietly.

Luna crossed over to her sister, and spoke in a low, earnest voice. “If we panic, they win. Don’t give them what they want.” She paused and shifted her tone. “And yes. Lord Tirek is still in his weakened state and tightly secured in Tartarus. I saw to it personally, like you asked.” Celestia closed her eyes tightly. “What name do we cross off of our list?”

The eldest set her jaw before speaking in a calmer tone. ”Suri Polomare. One of Rarity’s rivals. She’s...innocent. Along with two swindlers...a Griffon...and a Minotaur.”

Luna materialized a parchment and quill, making smooth and neat lines along the material. “Another has been taken into custody. A ‘Lightning Dust’, a rival of Rainbow Dash. There is also a number of Diamond Dogs, a creature called Ahuizotl, and a few Sirens Twilight got into a tangle with a while back.”

Celestia had sunken into a chair and laughed somewhat ruefully. “Oh, Twilight...the trouble you got yourselves into.”

“I still think we are wasting our time with these little rivals of theirs,” Luna said, rolling up the parchment. It disappeared in a wisp of blue dust. “The suspect we should be interrogating is Chrysalis! If anypony wanted to go after Twilight and her friends, it’s that overgrown bug!”

“I know that, Luna,” Celestia replied tiredly. “We are trying to locate her. But this...this is too delicate. We have to go over each and every possibility before we make clear assumptions. I don’t want to risk losing them….” Her eyes turned downcast. “They are too precious to me. To all of us.”

After watching her sister, Luna relented. “Understood.”

The door flung open, hitting the wall with a loud bang. The alicorn’s heads snapped up to see another pony being pushed into the room, followed by a larger pony decked with armor. “What is the meaning of this!?” the smaller pony demanded. Stars that patterned her purple hat and cape projected brightly tinted shapes in the walls with every movement she made. “Just WHAT have I done to deserve this...this brutality!?”

The larger pony removed his helmet revealing his cold blue eyes. “You’re under interrogation for the possible fillynapping of the elements of Harmony, AND the Princess of Friendship, Twilight Sparkle….my little sister.”

“S-S-S-Sister!?” the smaller pony stuttered. “That little librarian is your sister? B-But Trixie would never--”

“According to every single citizen of Ponyville, you were the one who terrorized Ponyville some time ago,” Luna said in a-matter-of-fact tone.

Another guard came up behind Shining Armor and held up a scroll. Shining’s eyes scanned over it with a look of disgust. “You forced Rarity to make 58 banners and tapestries and made Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash hang up every single one of them...Applejack had to spend hours stepping in apple mush to make your cider...you forcefully removed Pinkie Pie’s mouth and nose from her face against her will…”

Trixie cringed as Shining shifted the weight of his gaze onto her. “And you exiled my sister from town.”

The unicorn’s knees started to quake as their heated gazes burned holes in her. “I--but--see--”

“I think I’ll be taking my leave,” Celestia sighed, walking past them. “Do what you must, Captain Armor.”

Luna exhaled and soon followed, but not before pausing at the door. “Do not harm her, Captain.”

Shining Armor looked up. “If she’s hiding something...I can’t make any promises.”

A long moment of silence that was only broken with Trixie’s ragged breathing stretched on before Luna turned away. “Very well.” The door swung shut behind her, and the Princess of the Night was once again left alone with her thoughts.

“Princess…..Princess?”

“Princess.”

Luna’s eyes shifted to a Celestial Guard, who saluted upon her direct attention. “Your highness, there’s been a riot in front of the castle. We’ve set up a barricade to keep ponies back, but they’re growing more restless by the minute.”

Luna’s ears perked up at the distant shouting and screaming from below. “Rioting? There hasn’t been a riot here since the age of Gloin!” She spread her wings and glided across her chamber over to the window. Thousands of ponies had gathered at the gates of Canterlot Palace, pushing and shoving. Luna was appalled at how her ponies were acting. “Who brought about such violence and disarray?”

“Her name is Starlight Glimmer, your grace,” the guard replied.

“I’ve never heard of the name. What has she against us?”

“We don’t know. We have apprehended her, however. She seemed...eager to meet you.”

After a moment's pause, Luna nodded. “Then meet we shall.” She pursed her lips. “Has Spike returned yet?”

The guard shook his head.

Her brow furrowed. “Hmmm.” She began to walk towards the door, when the guard cleared his throat.

“One more thing, your highness. The mare has brought other ponies with her...her daughters. They refused to leave her side.”

He was met with a cool glance. “Then bring them here. Bring them all.”

Author's Note:

AHHHH! CHAPTER! I'm so sorry for the long wait. April was a busy month for me...in my College, our finals started in April, and I had to study my flank off to pass all my tests. Now that school's out, it should be smooth sailing from here!

The next chapter is under construction, and it will be out soon, not to mention longer! Lots of familiar faces will appear, and Canterlot won't be the same.