• Published 4th Aug 2015
  • 36,812 Views, 1,227 Comments

Sunset's Little Twilight - PoisonClaw



An accident with the Mirror Portal ends up with Twilight stuck as a small pony in the Equestra Girls' world. Her friends can't get over how cute she is.

  • ...
46
 1,227
 36,812

First Contact

In another life, Sunset Shimmer must have been a pegasus. That was the only way she could properly explain the exhilaration she got while cruising down the road on her motorbike, watching the world speed by while feeling the wind whip past her. What was strange was she couldn’t recall ever experiencing this feeling back in Equestria, though that could have just been because the few times she had traveled by chariot she might have been more concerned with getting her hooves back on solid ground.

As her initial exhilaration began to fade, she noticed the stoplight ahead of her flash to yellow. Slowing her bike down to a stop just as the light switched to red, Sunset took a moment to peek over her shoulder at the bag currently carrying the pony Twilight. At least she had stopped screaming after the first mile or so.

“How you holding up back there?” Sunset asked, to which she promptly received a swift kick to her back, cushioned slightly by the backpack. “Ow!”

“You could have given me a better warning!” Twilight whined from inside the confines of her canvas prison.

Sunset just laughed. “What, and miss having you flip out when I drove off?”

Twilight glared at Sunset through the backpack. ”I swear, sometimes you’re almost as bad as Rainbow Dash!”

“I’d be more inclined to blame Pinkie’s influence on that one, actually. Oh, and the light’s green by the way.” This time Twilight had enough warning to brace herself as Sunset revved the engine and drove off once more.

Now that she wasn’t terrified for her life, Twilight could better focus on their destination, though peeking out through the open zipper proved unhelpful, as houses and street signs she only vaguely recognized zipped by her.

“Where are we headed anyway?” She had to yell to be heard over the combined roar of the wind and the motorcycle’s engine.

“Rarity’s place. It’s closer than my apartment, plus we all agreed to meet there, remember?”

Twilight did remember, but after everything that had happened so far it had slipped her mind. Even in the cramped space of Sunset’s backpack, her wings briefly fluttered in trepidation. If that weren’t enough, the panic from earlier hadn’t completely vanished; merely shifted to the pit of her stomach at the prospect of having to ultimately explain all this to her friends.

To Sunset, Twilight’s silence was telling enough. “Worried about how the others will react?”

Twilight sighed in response. “A little bit, I guess…”

“Yeah, I wouldn’t exactly be looking forward to it either if I was in your place.” As they came to another red light, an idea in regards to Twilight’s predicament suddenly occurred to Sunset. “You know, I could just keep going and take you to my apartment instead. I’d probably have to make up something to tell the others, but I’m sure they’d understand given the circumstances, right?”

Twilight had to admit that part of her was tempted to take Sunset up on her offer. But, as appealing as that sounded, she knew that doing so had the potential to only complicate matters for the both of them. ”No, as much as I want to, hiding this wouldn’t be fair to any of them. I have no idea how long it’ll be before I can fix the portal between our two worlds, and eventually they’ll figure out something’s wrong. Better to just get this over with sooner than later.”

“Alright, if you’re sure…” Sunset noted that this particular light seemed to take an obscene amount of time to finally change colors, and the rest of the journey continued on in silence after that.

Thankfully, it wasn’t long before the two of them arrived at Rarity’s. Pulling into the driveway, Sunset cut the engine before removing her helmet and setting it in her lap. Reaching behind her to pull her phone out, she quickly wrote out a text that read, Hey Rarity, I’m waiting out front. Can you open the garage for me? Thanks.

As the text went out, Sunset sighed as she rested her arms on top of her helmet. “Well, no turning back now. All we can do now is wait and—”

“AH-CHOO!”

Sunset jumped, startled by the abrupt sound. “Gesundheit.”

The sounds of sniffling could be heard as Twilight shifted positions. “It’s really dusty in here. You should really think about cleaning this out more often.”

Snickering, Sunset replied with, “I’ll keep that mind, though none of my books have complained so far.” Catching movement out of the corner of her eye, Sunset looked up at the front windows of the house to see one of the curtains pulled back to reveal Rarity looking out at her. She waved to Sunset Shimmer, who politely waved back before Rarity disappeared back into the house. Moments later, the garage doors slowly creaked open.

As she walked her bike into the garage, Sunset thought about how the two of them were going to go about revealing Twilight’s current state to the others. She couldn’t exactly have Twilight jump out and go “Hey, guess what? I’m a pony now!”

Once her bike was safely inside, Sunset reached down and opened up the under-seat compartment once more, hoping that Spike would have already figured out what had gone wrong with the mirror back in Equestria and replied back with a solution already under way.

No such luck though, as her journal was just as inert as you’d expect a book to be. Sunset groaned as she ran her hand down her face. “Great… just great…”

“No response yet from Spike?”

“Nope. Looks like we’re on our own for now.” Picking up the journal, she made sure to hit the panel to shut the garage door on her way as she stepped into Rarity’s house.

Rarity was already there to greet her. “Sunset Shimmer, darling! So nice to see you, we were all wondering what was keeping you.”

“Sorry, Rarity. I stopped to help the Coach with something and lost track of time.”

“My, how nice of you! Although…” Rarity looked behind Sunset, as if expecting someone else to be trailing behind her. “I don’t see Twilight with you. I thought the two of you were coming together?”

Sunset felt the mare in question shift against her back at the mention of her name. “A-actually, Twilight sent me a note saying that something’s come up and that she may be a bit late. She says it’s alright if we start without her.”

“Oh, that’s a shame, but it can’t be helped I guess. I can only imagine how busy she must be, being a princess and all.” Rarity sighed, placing her hands on her cheeks as a dreamy look filled her eyes. “Princess Twilight Sparkle… oh, it sounds so much like something out of a fairy tale. Must be lovely…”

Sunset raised an eyebrow as the girl seemed to drift off into her own little world. “Uh… Rarity?”

“Oh!” Realizing she had dozed off, Rarity snapped to attention, a slight blush tinting her cheeks as if she had been caught doing something less than proper. “Well, I…” Coughing into her hand, she took a second more to compose herself. “Regardless, I’m happy that you were able to make it. The others are already waiting in the living room.”

Turning around, the indigo-haired girl strolled off in the direction of her living room. Making sure to remove her shoes and place them on the rack near the front door (she could still remember the earful Rarity had given Applejack and Rainbow for not taking their shoes off at the door and tracking mud in from outside), Sunset followed not far behind her.

The first thing she saw upon stepping into the room was Rainbow Dash sprawled out over most of the couch, her arm propped up against the armrest and supporting her head as she lazily flipped through channels without even registering what was on. The rest of the couch was subsequently occupied by Pinkie Pie, who rested upside down so her pink hair hung off the edge, kicking her feet up in the air and humming a little tune to herself to pass the time. Sitting off to the side in the reclining chair was Applejack, her bag resting against the base of the chair and two notebooks open on her lap, while she chewed away at the end of her pen as she tried to make heads or tails of the homework one of her teachers had been devilish enough to issue right before the long weekend.

“Sunny!” Pinkie Pie sprung up as she noticed Sunset Shimmer, flipping end over end until she was sitting the right way up on the couch. “You’re finally here!”

“About time, too.” Shutting off the TV, Rainbow tossed the remote onto the coffee table as she pulled herself up into a proper sitting position, stretching her arms above her head as she did so. “Any longer and I would have fallen asleep.”

Applejack snorted as she glanced up from the books in front of her. “I didn’t think ya ever needed a reason to take a nap. If’n I were to guess, I’d say ya get more beauty sleep than Rarity!”

“Hey! I do not! No one sleeps more than Rarity!”

“Excuse me?” Rainbow flinched at Rarity’s voice, having forgotten whose house she was currently in. The girl in question was standing in the opposite entryway, leaning with her back against the wall and her arms crossed over her chest as she looked at Rainbow with a baleful expression on her face.

“Er… I mean… no offense?” Rainbow quickly stammered out.

Rarity just sighed, rubbing her temples in resignation. “I suppose that’s the closest to an apology I’m going to get out of you.”

Rainbow didn’t say anything further, desperately trying to disappear into the couch. As the others all laughed at Rainbow yet again sticking her foot in her mouth, Sunset noticed that one member of their little group was missing. “Where’s Fluttershy?”

“In the kitchen,” Rarity answered as she stepped into the living room with them. “She offered to make some snacks for us, and asked if she could use my kitchen. I couldn’t exactly refuse a request like that, now could I?”

“Oh, yeah!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed, quickly forgetting her embarrassment from before. “I could go for something to eat right about now!”

“Reckon I could use some grub too, now that ya mention it.” Slamming her school books closed, she threw them back into her bag before tossing the whole thing over her shoulder and behind the chair with a loud thud. “Granny did say to never study on an empty stomach.”

Rarity giggled at her friends. “Well then, I’m sure Fluttershy will be happy to hear that. I’ll go see if she needs some extra help.”

“A-actually, Rarity…” Sunset suddenly spoke up, causing Rarity to pause mid-step as she turned to leave. “Could you wait for a minute? There’s something important you should know.” As she leaned down to put the journal on the table, she looking around the room at the other three before adding, “There’s something I have to tell all of you actually, and it has to do with why I was so late getting here.”

All of them were now looking at her with worry on their faces. ”Darling, is everything alright?” A look of concern passed across Rarity’s face, as her hand shot up to cover her mouth in shock. “You’re… you’re not in trouble with something, are you?”

Sunset could see where this was going and quickly put up her hands in defense. “No, no, this has nothing to do with me! Honest!”

Rarity’s posture noticeable relaxed. “Oh, that’s a relief…”

“Then what is it then?” Rainbow exclaimed. “If it’s so important, tell us already!”

“Alright. You see—“

“AH-CHOO!”

Sunset Shimmer froze as anything she was prepared to say vanished off the tip of her tongue, no doubt causing her to resemble a deer in headlights as the four girls all stared at her with varying degrees of confusion on their faces. No one said anything for a few agonizingly long seconds, as an awkward silence filled the room.

Rainbow Dash was the one to finally break the silence, pointing in Sunset’s direction. “Did… did your backpack just sneeze?”

“Uh…” Sunset Shimmer was having difficulties coming up with a suitable answer to that. Oh, horseapples.

“Everyone else heard that, right? I’m not going crazy, am I?”

“No, I definitely heard somethin’ or other,” Applejack replied back. “Sunset Shimmer, what exactly was it ya’ll needed to tell us?

Again, Sunset was at a loss for how to properly respond. Come on, say something! Anything!

“Ooh!” Pinkie abruptly jumped up, a wishful look in her eyes. “Did a puppy follow you home? Can I name it? Oh, pretty please!” Pinkie clapped her hands together as she looked at Sunset with a pouting expression on her face.

Surprisingly, that was enough to finally shake Sunset out her momentary stupor, though her first course of action was to groan as she put her hand over her eyes. “No Pinkie, it’s not a puppy, and it didn’t exactly follow me home.” So much for breaking it to them gently. Slipping her backpack off, she held it against her chest as she fully unzipped it and peered inside. “You can come out now.”

Rarity and the others all looked on in anticipation as Sunset’s backpack began to shake and squirm, indicating that whatever was inside was indeed alive. None of them were expecting what did finally pop its head out, staring at them with almost cartoonishly large purple eyes.

“What in tarnation…?” was all Applejack could think to say at the sight of the purple-furred creature.

“Aww!” Pinkie squeed. “It’s so cute!” Bounding closer, she began to scratch Twilight behind the ears like she would a dog. Surprisingly, Sunset noted, Twilight seemed to be enjoying the attention, even lazily flicking her other ear every so often.

“What the heck is it?” Rainbow said, no doubt asking the question they were all thinking.

“As I was trying to say, this is—”

“Looks like one of the horses back on the farm,” Applejack interrupted.

“Except I don’t remember any of your horses being that small. Or purple.” Looking closer, Rainbow added, “Or having a horn sticking out of their forehead.”

Stepping back (much to Twilight’s disappointment), Pinkie seemed to take a second to examine the small pony. “You know, it kind of looks familiar…”

Rarity hummed in thought as she took a good look at the mare. “Now that you mention it, Pinkie, it does look familiar, but I can’t for the life of me place why.”

“That’s because—”

“Oh! I know!” Pinkie exclaimed, once more cutting Sunset off in the middle of her explanation. “It looks just like Twilight!”

That caused Rainbow to burst out laughing. “Oh, that’s rich! Won’t the egghead be surprised when she sees a mini-horse-thing that looks just like her!”

“Pony, actually,” Sunset finally managed to say without being interrupted, causing Rainbow Dash to stop laughing and look at her funny.

“Huh?”

“She’s a pony, not a horse,” Sunset repeated rather adamantly. Glancing down, she saw that the pony in question was currently glowering at Rainbow Dash, no doubt for the ‘egghead’ comment. “Well, are you going to tell them or should I?”

Turning away from Rainbow Dash, Twilight sighed before raising her right foreleg and waving at her friends. “Hi girls.”

Pinkie Pie stepped back in surprise, eyes wide and her mouth hanging open in a surprising moment of shock, an expression shared by the other three girls behind her. All of them continued to stare in disbelief at Twilight, who was beginning to feel rather self-conscious under their gaze.

Eventually, Pinkie Pie managed to squeak out a “T…Twilight?”

Nodding her head, Twilight replied, “Yeah, it’s me.”

After seemingly grasping for something to say, Rarity finally managed to stutter out, “I… uh… I must say that’s an… interesting look for you, dear.”

Applejack didn’t say anything at first, rubbing at her eyes for a second to make sure she wasn’t just seeing things. After that didn’t work, she just tilted her Stetson back and muttered, “Now ain’t that something ya don’ normally see.”

“I can explain, really I can!” Twilight tried to reassure everyone. “There’s a perfectly good explanation for all this! I was on my way over here when—”

“Um… girls?” All eyes suddenly turned as a demure girl appeared in the doorway, hiding behind her long pink hair. “I just finished in the kitchen, so if any of you are hungry, we can—”

Time seemed to stop as Fluttershy caught sight of Twilight sticking out of Sunset’s backpack. Neither one seemed to even breathe as they locked eyes, a myriad of emotions running across Fluttershy’s face one after the other. A feeling of increasing dread descended over the group as they all watched Fluttershy’s eyes widen in surprise.

The sound of a pin hitting the floor echoed through the room like a gunshot.

“EEEEEEEEEEEE!” Bolting across the room so fast that Twilight swore she teleported, Fluttershy hoisted the alicorn up and out of the backpack and held her at arm’s length as she pirouetted in place, a look of pure bliss on her face. “Oh, you are just the cutest thing I’ve ever seen!”

Twilight struggled helplessly in Fluttershy’s grip as she was drawn into a hug, held against the girl’s chest with a strength that Twilight didn’t even know Fluttershy had. Sunset and the others could only look on in slack-jawed shock as Fluttershy nuzzled her cheek against Twilight’s while running her hands through the mare’s hair.

“Uh… Fluttershy?”

“You’re so cute, oh yes you are!” Spinning around once more, Fluttershy hugged the pony tighter as she squeaked in joy.

“Fluttershy!”

“Hm?” Finally snapping out of her cuteness induced euphoria; it took Fluttershy a second to realize where the familiar voice was coming from. Looking down, she was met with the face of a very perturbed Twilight looking up at her.

“Can you please put me down?”

Fluttershy blinked once, then twice. “Oh. Oh my…”

Rainbow Dash had to restrain herself from falling off the couch from laughing so hard.

Author's Note:

Alright, let's see how long I can keep this ball rolling before I crash headfirst into a brick wall.