• Published 22nd Jul 2015
  • 3,347 Views, 28 Comments

Cries of a Self-Tormented Soul - twilightsparkle3562



Luna reveals to Celestia her guilt she carried since being freed of her Nightmare Moon persona.

  • ...
19
 28
 3,347

A Visit From the Master

Chapter 3

"A Visit from the Master"

While Twilight and Celestia had joined forces to get her to reveal her feelings, Luna laid in her bed at Canterlot Castle once again tossing and turning in her sleep as the Tantabus created another dream for her suffer through. Despite all that she went through initially, Luna was still feeling a sense of guilt for what she had done as Nightmare Moon and it showed. As Luna slept, tears formed in the night princess' eyes and the cries of agony were heard.

"This is what I deserve!" she mumbled, tossing and turning roughly. "Yes, Tantabus, let me suffer your wrath! I deserve all that I have caused!"

After a few moments, Luna opened her tear filled eyes and thrust herself up, heavily panting and breathing with sweat dripping down her face wildly. After a few moments, Luna shut her eyes again and once again silently started crying.

"My sister will never know what I go through!" Luna cried to herself. "It is none of her concern! She controls the day, I control the night and what I witness, she cannot."

Just then, Luna felt a strong wind blow across her room as it slammed the windows shut with a loud bang. It was a wind that seemed all too familiar for her as Luna hadn't felt this wind since she, Celestia and Cadence were imprisoned in Tartarus, courtesy of Tirek. Suddenly, a bright light came through the windows, causing them to open once again with a loud bang.

"Who is there?" asked Luna, shielding her eyes from the light with her wings. "If you come on behalf of my sister, I-."

"I come in peace, Princess Luna," said a calming voice and Luna lowered her wings to reveal a figure on two legs, dressed in white and had long brown hair and a beard. "Why do you show hostility to me?"

Luna could not believe what she was seeing and the figure stood in her room with a smile on his face. Seeing the figure before her caused Luna to climb out of bed and bow to him.

"Master," whispered Luna, bowing to the figure. "You have returned to me. How may I serve you?"

The figure bowed down to Luna and placed his hand on her chin, lifting her head to his face.

"You serve no one but yourself," replied the figure as Luna raised herself up. "But, I fear that you refuse to believe such a purpose. Why do you trouble yourself, my young mare?"

Luna swallowed nervously as she was being forced to reveal her feelings to the figure, but she could see that the master was only doing this out of love for Luna.

"I know what you are suffering from," continued the figure. "You suffer from your own wounds that you yourself have inflicted."

"Yes, master," replied Luna. "I suffer because I let the darkness inside of me take control of my mind. All I wanted was for ponies to love the night and I was met with regret and hatred. I couldn't control my emotions and I vowed to suffer the consequences for my actions."

The figure then floated over to Luna and sat next to her on her bed. He then stroked her mane and continued to smile at Luna warmly.

"My young mare," said the master. "We all sometimes suffer from our mistakes that we have made in the past. But, it is much worse to hide the feelings from those we care about."

He then stopped stroking Luna's mane and looked over a picture from Twilight's coronation that showed Luna looking uncomfortable. It had happened to be the same picture that Twilight had in her kitchen.

"Since you were freed from the evil spirit that controlled you," continued the master, grabbing and looking at the picture. "I have seen you hide your feelings from your loved ones, day after day and I say this: the longer you hold your feelings, the more pain your soul will suffer."

The master then put the picture down and looked back towards Luna, who had felt a small tear trickle down her face.

"What do you want me to do, master?" begged Luna, looking over to him. "Tell me, and I will do anything you say."

The master closed his eyes for a moment and then for the first time, his smile disappeared and his voice turned wise.

"You must face your fears," he said wisely. "It is as you once said to that young pony Scootaloo that everypony must face their fears or their nightmares will continue. That is what you need to do right now."

Luna wanted to protest, but this was her master, her guardian angel that watches over herself, Celestia and all the loved ones that she held so dearly to her heart, despite all she did as Nightmare Moon. Lowering her head and closing her eyes once again, she knew that she needed to face her ultimate fears and that was to tell Celestia everything that had been inside of her for so long. But, of course, Luna was hesitant about it.

"But, master, what if…" Luna started to say, but when she opened her eyes, she found that the master was gone. Luna called out to the master several times, but she got no response. She was alone with her thoughts, thoughts that she would eventually have to get out into the open.

Meanwhile, Celestia had returned to Canterlot after meeting with Twilight and getting her support in trying to get Luna to reveal her feelings to her.

"Where is Luna?" she asked one of the guards.

"In her quarters, probably sleeping," replied one of the guards. "However, I heard her crying in her sleep and I wanted to report what I heard to the royal doctors. I thought she was being attacked or something."

Celestia sighed at that moment, knowing that what the guard was telling her was nothing more than her sister's continual nightmares, unaware that Luna had conversed with the spirit that had helped them survive their ordeal in Tartarus.

It was only a matter of time before a plan was put in place to help Luna overcome her inner feelings for good…