• Published 22nd Aug 2015
  • 659 Views, 8 Comments

When the Sun Stops Shining - TwilightDash12



Twilight Sparkle faces the most difficult test of all.

  • ...
2
 8
 659

Chapter 5 - Dawn

Twilight stood at her vanity mirror in her room, fiddling mindlessly with her crown, trying to get find the perfect position. She had very little experience dealing with crowns, and normally she would turn to Rarity for assistance. Unfortunately, Rarity was busy with her own dress, which Twilight knew she would want absolutely perfect for she moved on to help anypony else.

After ten minutes of futile progress, Twilight sighed and gave up and set her crown aside. Looking in the mirror one last time, she concluded her appearance was acceptable and that she looked just fine without it. Twilight quickly put her mane in her favorite style, the same one she wore to her brother's wedding - and combined with the dress she wore on her coronation day, she looked great. And besides, Twilight didn't even want to wear her crown, as it made her feel superior to her friends and neighbors. She quickly grabbed her speech and descended the library stairs.

"Time to go, Spike!" Twilight called, "You'd better be ready to go! We have to meet the others at the station in 5 minutes!" Looking around the room for her assistant, Twilight was surprised to see him standing at the door, ready and waiting.

"Yup! I was just waiting on you!" The dragon's eyes widened as he recognized Twilight's dress. "Great choice! You look fantastic!"

Twilight blushed at the compliment and smiled at her companion. "Thanks Spike. I hope it's nice enough for the occasion, because I don't have anything fancier!" Pushing open the doors, Twilight and Spike began the quick transit to the train station.

"Aw, c'mon Twilight, you wore that dress for your coronation, probably the most important event in your life!" Spike responded.

"Well, if it weren't for Celestia, I wouldn't even be a princess, so we need to show as much respect as possible."

"At this point, I don't think anypony cares about what the other is wearing, because the funeral is about remembering Celestia and how she affected our lives. Yeah, it's important to dress appropriately, but why fuss if what matters is what's on the inside."

Spike's wise words took Twilight by surprise, and she was about to respond when they reached the train station, where Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Fluttershy were all waiting, each wearing a magnificent dress that matched their personality.

"Hello everypony," Twilight greeted the group with a grin, "are you all ready to go?"

"Hiya Twilight!" Applejack spoke first. "Yup, I think we're all just 'bout ready. But what about you?"

"I'll admit, I am a bit nervous about giving my speech," Twilight frowned as the group entered the train car, "I just don't know if it's good enough..."

"Aw, cheer up Twi, you're biggest egghead in all of Ponyville! You're sure to ace it!" Rainbow said jokingly.

"I'm sure it will be wonderful!" Fluttershy smiled.

Twilight smirked at Rainbow, but felt much more confident after her friends' encouraging words. "Thanks everypony. I'll do my best."

The six friends took their seats in the almost full train car, noticing several ponies catching up on sleep they had lost waking up for the early service. The ride was uneventful, quiet, and reflective, leaving each of the friends to their thoughts.

* * *

The silence of the trip was broken by the screeching brakes of the train and the conductor's announcement. The six ponies quickly exited the train and trotted through the station into the high-class city beyond. Looking around, the friends exchanged confused glances with one another. Besides those who had also been on the train with them, not a single pony was in sight.

"Oh my, Canterlot has such a different feel to it when there aren't any ponies in it..." Rarity murmured.

"Yeah, it's almost like its..." Rainbow trailed off.

"A completely different town?" Twilight finished. "Everypony's at the funeral this early I guess."

"Which means we should probably sk'daddle on over there." Applejack began trotting down the street towards the castle.

Following the fast, familiar route, the friends quickly reached their destination. They passed through the empty castle and pushed open the doors to the massive courtyard. A simultaneous gasp arose from the group as they looked over the area.

Hundreds of ponies were standing in front of a massive, luxurious stage, where Luna and Cadence were standing facing a large casket. Twilight recognized many, but most she had never seen before, assuming that there were ponies from all corners of Equestria. The back of the stage was a wall of glass, facing the east where the sun was beginning to peek over the trees. Around the edges of the courtyard were several banners with Celestia's cutie mark.

As Twilight was admiring the breathtaking presentation, she caught the gaze of Luna, who motioned subtly for Twilight to come onto the stage. Twilighti turned to her friends, who were still admiring the scene.

"Um, girls? I have to go. I'll see you all after the service?" Twilight interrupted.

"Oh, sure Twilight. Go ahead!" Applejack idly responded.

"Good luck, Twilight!" Fluttershy smiled warmly.

Twilight smiled and waved to her friends as she trotted over to the stairs leading up to the stage. Looking at some of the faces of the ponies in the crowd, many had sad, mournful looks on their faces, some more emotional than others. Twilight frowned thinking about it. She ascended the stairs and made her way next to Luna and Cadence, who each gave her a warm smile. Twilight returned the greeting and stood patiently next to Luna, waiting for the service to begin, silently going over her mental notes about her speech.

"Good morning everypony!" Luna spoke into the microphone, and her voice resonated throughout the courtyard. "Thank you all for joining us here for this sad, but momentous occasion. We are gathered here today not just to mourn the loss of Celestia, but to appreciate what she has done for each and every one of us. To start, princess Twilight Sparkle would like to give a few words about who Celestia was to her." Luna slightly motioned to her, Twilight's signal to begin.

Slowly inhaling and exhaling, Twilight stepped up to the microphone, levitated her papers in front of her, and began to speak.

"When I was young, I thought of myself as just a normal, everyday unicorn, destined for a simple job at a library or bookstore. However, it was because of Celestia's kindness, hospitality, and generosity that my whole life was changed and I am where I am now. She sent me to study friendship, something I didn't really care much about at the time. I made five wonderful friends, who taught me lifelong lessons and virtues, and now they're the most important ponies in my life. We've always been there for each other, no matter what, and we've overcome every challenge, every test thrown at us. I sent letters to Celestia, describing how my friends and I overcame each obstacle. Celestia realized that I had changed because of my friends, so much that she decided to crown me as the princess of friendship, a responsibility and privilege I never imagined bearing. I wouldn't have such amazing, wonderful friends if it weren't for Celestia, and I can't thank her enough for that. Her final test for me was her death, by far the hardest thing I have overcome in my life." Twilight smiled and tried to cover the tears developing in her eyes. "But my friends and princess Luna were there, and reminded me that just as a well-spent day brings about happy sleep, so a well spent life brings about a a happy death. Celestia died happy, happy with what I have become and who I can still be. I forgot that death is a natural course of the mystery of life, and I should appreciate the not only the things Celestia has done for me, but for all of you as well. That's what really matters. In the end, all I can say in the end is thank you. Thank you, teacher and mentor, for helping me find myself and these amazing ponies I am honored to call my friends."

Twilight stepped away from the microphone, smiling with tears streaming down her face, ones not of sadness, but of joy and gratitude. She looked up and saw Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie standing in a circle waiting for her.

Twilight broke into a full gallop and nearly jumped into the group out of joy, everypony crying and laughing.

"Th..thank you all...for everything. You've helped me see the light of life in the darkness of death, and have never left my side. And for that I cannot thank you enough...I love you all with all my heart." Twilight poured out all her feelings into her words, a swarm of emotions filling her head, this time emotions of happiness, gratitude, and joy. At that moment, the sun rose over the trees, beaming light through the glass wall and onto the six friends.

"We love you too Twilight!" Fluttershy cried softly.

"We'll never leave ya hangin' Twi." Rainbow stuttered, struggling to speak.

"Thank you, Twilight, for all you've done for us..." Rarity spoke.

"You've changed our lives, too Twilight." Applejack added through her tears.

Princess Luna released her spell on the sun and turned towards Twilight and her friends, forming tears of her own at the beautiful display of affection and emotions.

This is what it means to live, to be able to overcome the toughest of challenges with the help of your friends. You've done amazing sister, I'm so proud of what you've done. And you should be too.






Fin.

Comments ( 6 )

6352356 Thanks for reading! Glad I could spark some emotions :) :fluttercry:

Thanks for utterly eviscerating my hearth and shredding it into billion o:raritycry

6386193 You're very welcome. That was my goal in this story, so I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll be editing it when I have time.

It is a very nice story, though two facts majorly bothered me.

Luna's stoicity

And the fact that she never used her antique dialect, i believe that in such occasion she would be MUCH more hurt than Twilight, she has just returned after 1000 years of absence from her sister damn, and Celestia dies leaving her alone.
I believe that Luna would be the one to have a mental breakdown.


(Consider that i strongly despise Twilight so i may be saying utter bullshit for the ears of other ponies.)

6389600 Thank you so much for that suggestion. I understand what you mean, and I'll probably end up putting in some more emotional scenes with Luna. It's also very important to hear from someone who doesn't particularly like the main character, so I can try and fix some things to appeal to a wider audience.

Comment posted by TwilightDash12 deleted Feb 6th, 2016
Login or register to comment