• Published 22nd Aug 2015
  • 659 Views, 8 Comments

When the Sun Stops Shining - TwilightDash12



Twilight Sparkle faces the most difficult test of all.

  • ...
2
 8
 659

Chapter 4 - With You Always

Twilight awoke to the distant voice of Mayor Mare, amplified by the town hall microphone. The mayor was making an announcement, but Twilight didn't care. She just wanted to head home. Last night was the best sleep she had had since the night before the letter. It was hard not to have your mind cleared when you are sitting next to a pond covered in fog with a beam of moonlight shining down on you.

Twilight rose to her hooves and began to walk towards the voice. As she got closer, she began to make out some of the words that were being said:

"Luna...visiting...news...Celestia..."

It was happening. Luna was coming to Ponyville to tell everypony about Celestia. Her friends and neighbors would hear what happened themselves, and maybe they would realize that they couldn't help her.

As she approached the Golden Oaks Library, Twilight saw the dark figure of Princess Luna descend from the clouds and land softly in front of the murmuring crowd. Only Twilight knew the bad news about to be bestowed upon them, and she shuddered thinking about their reactions. The crowd became completely quiet, and Luna began to speak:

"Citizens of Ponyville...I have ill tidings to bring to you...my sister, ruler of Equestria, has sadly passed on."

There was a slight gasp from several ponies in the crowd, and murmurs that Twilight couldn't make out from her distance.

"Since the coronation of Princess Twilight Sparkle, Celestia's strength decreased each day. She struggled to raise the sun, and wouldn't eat anything. And then one morning...she didn't wake up." Everypony was silent for several moments as they absorbed the heart-wrenching news. "It took me by surprise as well, for I did not expect my sister to die so abruptly...and in this manner..." Luna paused and dipped her head, "that is all the news I have for you. All are encouraged to attend the funeral tomorrow morning at sunrise outside Canterlot Castle."

And with those final words Luna trotted off the stage, quickly disappearing behind the building, leaving the town in utter shock.

Twilight knew that the town would probably be arriving soon to give her condolences, apologies, and comforting words - as they all knew how important Celestia was to her. Turning away and entering the library, Twilight sighed, thinking about all the ponies trying to comfort her when all their words and gifts would do is annoy her. Reading and sleeping were the only things she felt like doing.

* * *

Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity and Applejack all stood in disbelief at the back of the slowly separating crowd. They weren't sure what surprised them more, Twilight shouting at them the day before or the news that Celestia had passed away. One such incident was enough, but two in the span of twenty-four hours was too much for the group to take. Everypony wore a frown, even Pinkie Pie. Fluttershy began to quietly sob on the ground.

"Well...didn't see that one comin'..." Applejack spoke up quietly, scraping the ground with her hooves.

"How could something like this happen?" Rainbow dash stuttered, trying desperately to hold on to her tears.

"She did so much for all of us...I just wished I could have thanked her for her generosity," Rarity spoke up, "If it weren't for Celestia, we wouldn't have Twilight."

Pinkie trotted over to Rarity, and put her hooves around her. "Come here everypony. A hug always helps."

Dash, Fluttershy, and Applejack joined the group hug, each embracing the powerful feeling they received knowing that they were all there for each other, even in the darkest of times. The friends embraced each other for several moments, sharing tears and comforting words over the loss of such an important pony in their lives. The sound of hooves getting progressively louder broke apart the group, and they turned to see princess Luna standing before them.

"I am so sorry to bring this news to all of you, but I had no choice. You needed to find out some way or another..."

"No princess, you had to do this, we understand. It's just...I...I guess we weren't expecting this." Applejack said.

"This must have been what was upsetting Twilight..." Rarity spoke to the group, "Celestia meant more than the world to her...and she was probably overcome with emotions."

"That is why I am here, to ask you about Twilight. How has she been? I fear that the heartbreak she experienced has not healed." Luna trotted forward worriedly.

"She looked horrible when we visited her yesterday," Rainbow answered, "her mane was frazzled and she looked like she hadn't had a good night's rest in several days. We offered to help her, but...well..."

"She yelled at us, and told us to leave...I've never seen Twilight so sad," Pinkie frowned, "and she'd never spoken to us that way before..."

Luna's expression filled with concern. "I must go talk to her...or at least present her with a gift that might help. I would like you all to come with me. You're the most powerful asset for Twilight to get over this loss."

* * *

Twilight lay in her bed, listening to the birds' serenading outside her bedroom window. While the thoughts and memories of loss were still fresh in her mind, she had managed to escape for a moment and appreciate the soothing sounds of the summer day. Smiling, Twilight closed her eyes and relaxed. After all, she was going to be busier than ever helping Luna rule Equestria...

Suddenly a knock at the door interrupted her peaceful thoughts. Spike, who was downstairs, got up and opened it. Twilight heard several voices, who she quickly recognized as her friends, along with the slightly louder tone of princess Luna. At first her face lit up, but then the incident that occurred the previous day arose in her mind, dissipating her smile.

As her friends ascended the stairs, Twilight turned her back to them and put her head down in shame. While she resisted her friends, Twilight sensed the familiar feeling of comfort and security when she was with them as they circled her bed. Luna approached her bed and spoke with kindness and compassion.

"Twilight...I know your grief may seem never ending, but we just thought we would pay you a visit. I also have something I'd like to give you."

While Twilight was annoyed at the disturbance, she turned around and faced the group. All of her friends, even Rainbow Dash and Pinkie, had looks of genuine worry on their faces, as if she was dying. Her eyes turned to Luna, who hesitantly levitated a small box and placed it in front of her.

Luna stared intently at the box, and then back to Twilight, staring deep into her eyes.

"I would like to give these to you, princess." Luna used to magic and slowly opened the box, revealing an engraved, golden necklace with a deep purple amethyst embedded in the center and a crown of the same design. Twilight quickly recognized these items and her eyes widened. Luna stared wistfully at the objects, "You may recognize these, Twilight, and I would like to tell you about their importance to not only Celestia, but me as well."

"Long ago, before Celestia and I were even the rulers of Equestria, these were given to Celestia by my father and mother. We both received necklaces, and Celestia, being the older of the two of us, received a crown as well. We have treasured these items together for hundreds of moons as a reminder of our family. But now, Twilight, I would like to give them to you. Celestia loved you, Twilight...she considered you a part of our family, and the healing for the wound that formed when our parents died..." Luna turned away, hiding her tears, "Although Celestia changed your life, Twilight, you also changed hers. You taught her kindness, compassion, and patience...but most of all, you taught her motherly love, and for that I want to thank you." Smiling, Luna backed away from Twilight's bed, "Oh, and one more thing...do you know why Celestia sent you to make friends in Ponyville? To be her personal student? To become a princess? Because she believed in you, Twilight. She saw it in you the day she met you - the ability to be an amazing friend, and I'm sure these five ponies here know that."

Twilight, who had been holding in her tears throughout the conversation, began to cry and leaped out of the bed over to her friends, embracing them all. "I love you all, and thank you. I wouldn't be anywhere without every one of you."

"We'll always be here for ya Twilight," Rainbow spoke through her own tears, "no matter what comes your way."

The embrace dissolved, everypony smiling at each other. Except Twilight's faded, and she spoke to the group, "I'm sorry for how I treated all of you. I was just so overwhelmed and stressed out by the situation...I lashed out at you all, who were only trying to help. I should have accepted your offer, because true friends are always there for you no matter how dark the past was, the present is, or the future is looking."