• Published 19th Jul 2015
  • 984 Views, 31 Comments

My Little Mages: After Effects - dracone



It's been a few weeks since Twilight moved to town and everyone is adjusting and preparing for changes

  • ...
4
 31
 984

The Golden Ticket

Author's Note:

The bulk of chapter was written by Foxhelm, I just tidied it up a bit and gave a few little suggestions to help add some flavor or move the chapter along a bit more smoothly. The two of us had a discussion about our stories, after a suggestion by me, we decided to have our stories tie into each other. So in a way this story and the ones Foxhelm is working on in the My Little Mages universe are a collaboration. By now some of you have noticed that each of the chapters in this story move in chronological order with the newer chapters taking place an undisclosed amount of time after the prior ones, this chapter is a bit an exception in regards to that, I tried to position it properly and just kept bouncing back to this position. In terms points in the timeline of the story the chapter's starting point is shortly after the meeting that happened in the prologue and rounds out in its time a bit before chapter 1 (which is why I'm just referring to this as chapter 0.5). Please feel free to offer up suggestions in regards to the story when you feel like it.

Twilight, with Spike on her shoulders, was lending a hand to Applejack in the apple orchard of Sweet Apple Temple. It had only been a week since Luna’s return, but it seemed that things returned to normal in Magiville almost overnight. Twilight was impressed that with one two-handed punch Applejack was able to knock all the apples out of the tree with no damage to the tree. “I’ve never seen apples harvested so quickly.”

“It’s called apple-bucking. It's a trick we in the Apple family have. Ya see we channel our connection with the earth and basically cast a spell causing the tree to let go of the fruit.” Applejack explained as best she could. For her this is all part of her, strike a tree with a specific want and the tree 9999 times out of 10,000 times aquseses, but this something a Magicborn cannot truly grasp, it's not as bad as trying to explain colors to the blind, but it's not that far off of a comparison.”

“So you're magic, aside from Holy, is getting fruits from plants just by striking a tree. I Didn't know Earthborn can do that.”
“Ya have yer nose in a book too much, ya'll won't find much about Earthborn In them books written by the Magicborn of where ya from.” Applejack said as she started loading the harvested apples into a cart.

“So you do this in so early in the summer, I thought apple harvesting was in the fall with other fruits and vegetable.” Twilight commented on Applejack's harvesting of apples.

“Na, normally we do it later in the year with everything else, but we're expecting a drought in this part of Mystika this year so we’re saving as much of non-Cider apples we can so our other crops can get the water that they need.”

“What about the rest of your family, there were almost 30 people here when I came here to check on the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration.” Twilight commented at the absence of the family she saw when she arrived.

“They all had to go back their churches and businesses.” Applejack answered as she struck another tree and more apples fell into more baskets. “They’ll be back with the rest of the family for the family reunion. So it's Big Mac an’ me... (well expect for Roma, Caramel, Golden Harvest and a few others who specialize with other plants,) at least for one more year. Apple Bloom ain't old enough yet and Granny… Well someone has to watch over little Apple Bloom.”
“Oh, I guess she has no memory of your parents, does she.”

“Let's not talk about it, Ah got work to do. So what ya think of Magiville so far?”

“Well the people here are much kinder than most of Chantalot, they also are in your face more.”

“It’s a small farming town. Well not as much farming as it did about 100 years ago. But small towns tend to be close knit.”Applejack informed.

“Say what's up with the candy-maker Bonbon, it's like I know her from somewhere,” Twilight asked remembering one of the townsfolk, for some reason she thought she saw her in Chantalot.

“Well she is cohabiting with Lyra Heartstrings, maybe Lyra had a picture of her when she lived in Chantalot. She moved here about a month before ya and she mentioned she had an acquaintance that studied under Princess Celestia once or twice.”

“No. It’s something… Spike are you okay?” Twilight asked just before Spike burped up a letter and a golden ticket.

“What does it say?” Applejack asked.
Twilight started, “To Twilight Sparkle…

Let it be known henceforth and presently that you are cordially invited to the annual Grand Gala. To be held on the upcoming Spring Equinox. Accompanying this letter is your ticket.
You attendance would be most appreciated as this will be the first official event with the recently re-instated Princess Luna.
Sincerely The Prime Administrator of Their Royal Highnesses, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna’s Government, Baron Roi Fancy-pants.

Twilight read.

And look you have the first ticket to the party. See, ticket #1. V.I.P. too… And Familiar status? Spike thought as he read the ticket.
“It means that I have a familiar and it is expected that I bring him or her, in this case you.”

“Ah, the Grand Gala. What Ah’d give ta attend.”

“You don’t strike me as the closest Cinderella type.” Twilight commented a little perplexed, based on everything she had experienced with Applejack

“Haha, shoot sugarcube, Ah ain't into all that hotie-totie fancy-pansy stuff. It’s the business. If Ah can sell at least 800 bits worth of goods, why we can afford new equipment, so Apple Bloom doesn't destroy what we have when she tinkers with them, we can even expand the farm a bit.” As Applejack told Twilight of her plans and her intent Twilight pictured in her mind's eye Applejack having a stand for her wares and a line of patrons made up of the gala attendants as the paladin foresaw.

Twilight looked at her ticket to see if she could invite anyone, but she only had the one and it was only for her... and Spike. Before she could say anything, “Did somebody say they got tickets to the Grand Gala?” Twilight needed no guess to identify the speaker. But Rainbow Dash landed right next to the two.

“Yeah, I just got one.”

“Sweet, I so have to be there ” Rainbow Dash cheered.

“Why? It's a formal dance and you're as formal as...well, Applejack, no offense AJ, and the kind of formal in Chantalot isn’t quite the same as here or Manahattan.” Twilight commented.

“My dad once said 'it's not what you know, it's who you know.' and do you know who will be at the gala?”

“Umm, Princess Celestia, Princess Luna...”

“THE WONDERBOLTS!” Rainbow Dash answered. “And the gala is my shot to make the perfect impression. Can you see it, there is a break in the party, the Wonderbolts are bored from all the useless talking, they look up and they see the Blitz Bronco performed by none other than Magiville's own elementalist, Rainbow Dash! They will be left in awe and Captain Spitfire herself let me into Wonderbolts Academy!” As Rainbow Dash told of her desires, Twilight imaged the picture Rainbow Dash was trying to paint, the Wonderbolts in their standard flight-suit with their jaws open as they see Rainbow Dash pull off the move in question and how Rainbow envisions the reaction of the leader of the Wonderbolts. However, Twilight could not help but roll her eyes, she may not know a lot about the Wonderbolts, but showing off at a royal party would not likely get the results Rainbow Dash desires, but Twilight could tell the underlying motive of her new friend; to spend time and network with current members of the Wonderbolts to increase her chances of joining them. As for Applejack, while she never attended a gala before, it is unlikely the paladin would make any sales, last Twilight checked, an event like that would be catered.

“I only have the one ticket, and it's for me and possibly Spike, as he is my familiar.” Twilight informed with a sheepish smile.

“Oh... well... um...” Rainbow Dash started but was at a complete loss.

“Well whatever ya do don't tell Rarity ya got one.” Applejack advised.

“Why?”

“You think we're bad with asking you, and we're … well, tomboys.” Rainbow Dash informed. Twilight thought about it for a minute and then froze. If Applejack and Rainbow Dash were so determined to get a ticket and they both would likely have other chances to accomplish their wants… She needed to change thoughts.

Twilight, I am hungry. Can we get something to eat? Spike asked.

“But we just ate.”

When? It’s almost noon.

“He’s right, it is almost Noon.” Rainbow Dash pointed out.

“Yeah, ya looking a little shiny… Ah can see why Spike’s always hungry, ya ain't gettin’ enough to eat yaself, Sugarcube.”

“Ugh, fine. I am heading back to town to see what we can do about Spike’s hunger pains. I just hope none of our other friends find out about the ticket, I don’t even want to think about the kinds of crazy stuff they’d try to do in order to gain my favor in hopes I bring them along to the most elite...oh no…” Twilight paused as she she shivered.

You just realize something really bad Twilight? Spike asked.

“You know how Pinkie is?” Twilight commented

Yeah she’s a party enthusiast and...somehow is able to know about things she shouldn’t.

“That and some events cause her body to react in unusual ways, some of them have been noted by our friends. What if she has some sort of reaction to invites to parties she didn’t set up herself?”

That would be bad, I say we get food at home, the less chance of interacting with Pinkie today the better...unless she anticipates that and we go home to find her wanting to attend, but then it wouldn’t matter where we go, she’d think we were playing hide-and-seek, and she’s a master at that game.

Both Rainbow Dash and Applejack fell to the ground laughing. “Pinkie having a ‘party sense’ oh please … my spleen... make it stop.” Rainbow Dash laughed holder her sides.

“That's a good one. If she was here last year… Whowie... was Pinkie Pie surprised at her birthday party last year. She was so wrapped up with what she was planning for Marble, her twin, she forgot she was born that day too.” Applejack commented. “Well ya best be off.”

“Yeah... hey why is Rainbow here?” Twilight asked as she started to leave.

“I pre-ordered a barrel of the cider for this year's cider season, I am here to pay it off. So what's my job today?”

“See them baskets full of apples and that empty cart?” Applejack pointed out.

“Load the cart. Agh.” Rainbow complained as she started to work. Twilight could not help to but chuckle to herself as she left the temple grounds and started her walk into town.

As Twilight walked she noticed Fluttershy heading to Sweet Apple Temple, on her shoulder was Angel Bunny, “Oh... good morning Twilight. What brings you to Sweet Apple Temple?” Fluttershy asked.

“I’m doing some research on Earthborn magic. There was not much published in Chantalot's libraries, so I have to do a lot of field research.” Twilight answered.

“Oh, I doubt there would be. No offense, but the Magicborn of Chantalot tend to only care about the magic they can use. I am sorry, I didn't mean to sound racist.Please don’t hate me.” Fluttershy said waving one of her hands clearly trying to not offend Twilight.

“It's okay, Fluttershy. So, what about you?”

“I am here to get some supplies, also Applejack said she’s having problem with local beaver family, and needs them to move their dam upstream. I am here to negotiate before it comes to blows.” Fluttershy answered. As the two talked Spike and Angel started round two of their fight from when they met, it started with hisses and growls. However before the claws could come out, their owners managed to grab them, in the process Twilight's ticket fell to the ground and landed at Fluttershy's feet. “I don't know what has gotten into Angel Bunny, I know he can be aggressive at times, but I don't get his issue with Spike.” Fluttershy said before she noticed the ticket.

“I get the first time, they were protecting us because they thought we were threatened. But this is ridiculous.” Twilight commented just as Spike blew a puff of fire in the direction of the rabbit. “SPIKE!”

But I want rabbit.

“You are not eating Fluttershy's animal companion.”

Fine

As Twilight scolded the dragon, Fluttershy picked up the ticket to the gala. “You dropped th... your ticket to... to... the Grand Gala!” Fluttershy said as she looked at the ticket. A huge dreamy smile grew on her face.

“Let me guess, you would like to go?” Twilight asked knowing the answer to the question.

“Well yes and no. You see, I just want to see the gardens, specifically the animal preserve. All the animals, from all over Mystica, all the birds singing, the all the flowers in bloom. It’s a druid’s dream to behold.”

“I’ll tell you what I told AJ and Dash,” said Twilight as she took the ticket back and slipped it into one of her robe’s internal pockets, “it is only an invite for me and Spike, that said if you and the rest of the girls can be quiet about this to the rest of the town, Rarity and Pinkie too since they haven’t found out about this yet, and aren’t too disruptive I’ll see about talking to Princess Celestia about this, hopefully you’ll all get invites to the next one, but as it stands the tickets are limited and usually are all gone before anybody really knows it, for a highly exclusive event and invitations are few.”

“Oh, no. I cannot ask you do that. It’s too soon in our friendship for such a big favor.”

“You were willing to die trying to give Rarity, Pinkie and I a chance to get past those werewolves and we met the day before.” Twilight pointed out.

“True. Yet just getting the chance to lifetime is enough for me and the gardens,” said Fluttershy dreamily. “Even if it doesn’t pan out.”

“Spike and I need to go grab a bite, we’ll see you later Fluttershy. And remember to don’t tell Pinkie and/or Rarity about the ticket, we don’t want any problems. After the event you can tell them, but hasn’t happened yet,” with that Twilight and Spike left Fluttershy and Angel to their work. Or so Twilight thought.

“Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye, I, Pinkamena Diane Pie, better known as Pinkie Pie, will NOT tell a single soul about Twilight being invited to The ultra exclusive, bestest, most famous…. Annual party in all of Mystica: The Grand Gala until after the Gala. Even though it is the place for Pinkie!” Twilight looked and saw Pinkie Pie perform the Pinkie Promise. After that her mouth morphed into a zipper and zipped it. The sudden appearance of the pink jester caught Twilight and Fluttershy off guard.

“Dah.” Twilight screamed.

“Dah, yourself Twilight. Please forgive me for overhearing.” Pinkie said as she helped Twilight back up.

“What are you doing here? How much did you hear?” Twilight asked.

“I arrived just as Fluttershy handed back the… thing that cannot be named.”

“You can say Gala ticket.” Twilight said.

“Ah be care about the leeway you give Pinkie when she makes a Pinkie Promise. To her those are as binding as any written contract and thrice as sacred. But she will use whatever loopholes ya give her.” Came the voice of Applejack. The three turned to the paladin “Got Gummy?” Applejack asked the pink jester.

“Yes sirry.” Pinkie Pie said as she pulled Gummy, her pet alligator, out seemingly nowhere.

“He got his meat teeth?” Applejack continued to question.

“Checkoroiny.” Pinkie answered as she pulled out of, Celestia knows whe... “Sorry Foxhelm, but I don't think even Celestia knows where I keep Gummy's meat eating dentures. Also these fourth wall breaking jokes work if used rarely, unless you want me to turn into this universe's Deadpool. Which is just silly because I am Pinkie Pie.” Pinkie said to the author/narrator as she put the dentures in question into Gummy's mouth.

“Wait a minute, why is Pinkie here and what is the importance of Gummy having his…” Twilight started.

“Applejack, you said you would negotiate.” Fluttershy scolded.

“Yep and part of that is making it clear what Ah intend for them critters if they don’t take the deal. Ah said Ah was putting all my cards on the table.”

“Wait what is going on?”

“Applejack, being a paladin, will strive to do the lawful and good thing, actively negotiate. But also will be ready and able to use force, like letting Gummy take up residence on Sweet Apple Temple in the fields flooded due to the beaver dam and since Gummy is an alligator and since alligators eat beavers...” Pinkie Pie explained the situation.

“Isn’t that evil?” Twilight asked.

“Sadly no. That’s the circle of life.” Fluttershy answered a little depressed. “Alligators do eat beavers and technically Applejack is not feeding the beavers directly to Gummy.” Twilight decided to leave it at that and leave, little did she know Spike’s near scuffle with Angel had left noticeable marks on her clothes.

“Well, I best be going. Oh, and Pinkie, you can only discuss the event and ticket with everybody else that knows, you can’t share that information with anyone new.” Twilight said as she finally left the area.

Well, that's four out of five. We might as well tell...

“No!” Twilight shouted at her dragon. “I don't need the headache of all my friends wanting to go to the party. I might not even go myself.” Twilight stated. As she arrived into town she headed to one of the restaurants in town. There she saw a woman somewhere around Big Mac’s age just sigh. She was engrossed in reading a book and writing. She looked up and waved to Twilight inviting her to the table.

“Ms. Sparkle, just the person I needed to talk to. My name is Cheerilee, I am the town teacher. I use to run the library during the summer and afterschool… mind helping out a fellow scholar.”

“Sure. You can just call me Twilight. So what are you researching?”

“This new history book. There is so much between the finding and the start of Celestia’s sole rule. There is so much I have to add to my lessons.”

“Maybe a trip to the Royal archives can help you out. Princess Celestia has been really helpful with scholars in my experience. Maybe I can ask her to let you have some time there before school begins.”

“Thank you. What time is it?”

“Noonish”

“So, may I take your order?” came the voice of the waiter.

“Yes, um two of the house specials, one for myself, one for Twilight Sparkle and one full turkey for the dragon.”

“Separate bills please.” Twilight said as she took one of the open chairs.

I think this is going to be a better day than you thought, Spike said to Twilight, it’s been ages since I had whole...anything.

Twilight shot her familiar a look and said, “The last time you ate a whole something was when we had our last family gathering, dad’s still mad at you for eating the entire roast in addition to half the salad.”

I saved you all from food poisoning, Dad got a bad roast and Mom didn't cook it properly. Also the meal Shining brought with him was better, you can't say I am wrong. Spike commented. Twilight rolled her eyes. Okay, so I might have been a little ravenous, Twilight rolled her eyes again, and skipped the two prior meals to help you with your research subject at the time… was it bugs? Holiday traditions? Or...you know what I can’t really recall what you were on a study kick for that time.

“So, is there anything I can help you with?” Twilight asked Cheerilee, changing the subject of discussion, she clearly couldn’t win against Spike.

“Alright, what do you know about Rex Sombra and Krystalopoloies?”

“That ‘rex’ means king, 'sombra' means shadow and 'krystalopolies' means city of crystals.” Twilight answered surprised at the question.

“How about Discord?” Cheerilee asked, trying another subject.

“That in music it signifies a disruption in the harmony that was achieved and the word itself is frequently used as a synonym for 'chaos'.” Twilight answered.

“Um... what about Tirek and Scorpan?” Cheerilee asked clearly trying to see what Celestia's apprentice knows.

“Sorry but I don't know anything about either of those.” for some reason Twilight got the feeling that Nightmare Moon's statement about Celestia not teaching history may be partly true, but Twilight's personal hero from history was Star Swirl the Great and Celestia covered him to a ‘t’, no pun intended.

“Well thanks, hopefully Princess Celestia will have some sort of seminar for all teachers to cover the material in the next history textbook.” Cheerilee said as the waiter arrived.

“One whole turkey for the dragon and two chicken sandwiches with baked potatoes.”

Twilight was just about to go into the intricacies of a multiple ruler system versus a singular ruler system when their food arrived, at which point she realized she hadn’t asked for a beverage to be served to her or Spike, not that her familiar really cared since he was literally making a go at diving into his food the moment it was in front of him.

“You are aware that dragons also need gems and such.”

“Yeah, but where can I find any? This isn't the capitol.”

“Believe it or not, Rarity has a unique spell that allows her to find gems. That’s why she uses them in most of her designs.” After a few bites Cheerilee looked at Twilight, as if examining her cloths, “Um Twilight, did you get into a fight?”

“No, but I had to pull Spike away from a fight with Angel Bunny. Why do you...” Twilight then looked at her clothes and notices a few tears. “SPIKE!” Twilight shouted at the dragon. “You ruined my clothes, now I have to sew them.”

“Actually Rarity could easily stitch that up in no time.” Cheerilee suggested sincerely and cheerfully. Twilight sighed, she was not looking forward to that. Well, maybe Rarity will be too focused on her clothes. Just as long as she keeps quiet about the ticket.

After they ate they receive the bill, “Only 32 bits, my meal alone could be closer to 65 bits back in Chantalot.”

“Well Chantalot is the capitol city, and costs tend to be higher in the more 'developed' cities, it doesn't surprise me.” Cheerilee commented as she placed a twenty-bit coin, a ten-bit coin and two one-bit coins, Twilight was surprised to see such small currencies, being use to 50 bit notes, then again she never technically paid for anything in her life. After the bill was paid Twilight took Spike, before he could choke on a turkey bone and went to Rarity's boutique.

There Twilight saw a girl about Apple Bloom's age that looked a lot like Rarity, but her hair was different outside and she looked bored. “Excuse me, I am looking for Rarity, I have clothes that need some repairs.”

“She's inside, trying to come up with a new design.” the girl said.

“Spike, I am leaving you here.” Twilight said as she handed the dragon to the girl, “Do you mind keeping an eye on him... sorry I didn't get your name.”

“Sweetie Belle, but yes I will take care of Spike.” Sweetie Belle said as she accepted Spike.

Please don't leave me. Spike thought, but Twilight continued into the boutique as Sweetie Belle began listing what they were going to do together… as if the poor dragon didn’t have enough reasons to question his masculinity.

“Excuse me, Rarity, are you busy?” Twilight said as she shut the door. Rarity was at one of several desks, and was clearly at a lost for a design.

“Sadly, Twilight Darling, I am at a... WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR.... breath, Rarity, breath... you can fix it...” Rarity said as she managed to rein herself in. “Go into a changing booth, and I will take care of this.” Rarity said as she gestured to Twilight's clothes. “Just make sure to empty all your pockets.” Rarity said. Twilight complied, but in her haste to get this all over with she forgot one pocket. After a short while Rarity's hand came through the curtain of the cloth-changing booth in it was Twilight's gala ticket. “Um Twilight, you forgot this in one of your robe's inner pockets.”

Twilight froze, she was now five for five and she was … well... exposed. “Ah sorry, I was in a bit of a hurry.”

“It doesn't have to deal with me finding out about you being invited to the most exclusive party in all of Mystica?” Rarity did not wait for an answer. “Well Darling, you must go. But not just for yourself, not just for Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, but all of us. You owe it to us to attend and have the greatest time there ever. I know how I would conduct my night, if it were me. All of Chantalot’s top elite would be talking but soon they gradually all pause as a young woman enters. Where is she from, have you seen her before, isn’t she beautiful, and glamorous, these and many more questions they would all ask at a lost at the young woman, a Rarity, among them. Her dress both complements her and the gala, and yet makes her the center of everyone’s attention. She would soon be greeted by the ruling princesses, and then at awe over her, they would introduce her to … him… their distant nephew, the Grand Duke, Prince Blueblood. She would dance with him and set his heart ablaze, but she would never give into his advance, nor would she string him along. And before the next Hearth Warming she would say ‘I do’ and take on the title Grand Duchess, Princess Rarity, it would be a glorious event, only topped by the marriage of the current youngest princess the adopted niece of Princess Celestia herself, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza. Haaaa,” Rarity sighed in delight over her dream. As Rarity told her ‘dream’ Twilight pictured the events as Rarity dreamed them but with the Cinderella suit playing in the background. “But of course, those are my dreams, Twilight, Darling. Not yours. And while my desire to attend is great, to ask you to see if I can attend this upcoming gala, is just barbaric, not even Applejack or Fluttershy would stoop so low, Pinkie Pie may because it’s a party, but that’s a big if. Rainbow Dash may, but to be fair Rainbow may not if she thinks it all the way through…. I am now inspired. Your gown for the gala, you will be the talk of the town and all the eligible bachelors will be flooding your parents' home to gain their blessings and you will have your choice of the most influential families in all of Mystica. I can see your dress now, Twilight’s gala dress/good one from Suited for Success danced in Rarity's mind "... it will be magnificent.”

“You’re taking this very well.” Twilight said not entirely sure if Rarity had not had a mental break down as she takes her ticket. “Can you promise me to not tell anyone else about it, save Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, they already know about the ticket..”

“Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye. Now your clothes will be ready in a minute.” Rarity said as she left to head back to her work. After a few minutes Rarity returned with a measuring tape with pen and notepad. “Have to make sure that your gown will fit properly, so I will need measurements.” Rarity said as she prepared to take measurements.

Half an hour later, after Twilight got her clothes back and helped Rarity enchant her pen and measuring tape so that the tape could measure by itself and the pen would record the measurements by itself, Twilight exited the boutique and found the most adorable thing. Spike was playing tea with Sweetie Belle, but Spike was not in a dress, he was in a poorly made suit, top hat with a mustache and a cane near by. “Now Mister Dracos, would you like one lump of sugar or two?” Sweetie Belle squeaked happily.

“I am sorry but Mister Dracos has to head home. But he’s free to host tea every Tuesday at 4pm. So if you can find more young ladies…” Twilight said as she picked up Spike.

“Really?” Sweetie Belle asked full of cheer and hope. Twilight nodded. Sweetie Belle gasped and ran inside “Rarity! Rarity! I have the most exciting news!” the young girl squeaked.

There was a sudden crash, trund and what sounded like a metal pan coming to a stop, like some sort of carton crash. “Sweetie Belle…” came Rarity’s voice clearly not happy with whatever just happened.

“I am sorry. But my news is so exciting.” happily squeaked the little girl.

Twilight laughed to herself as she took Spike and headed to their current home, the Golden Oak Library. Once inside she placed Spike down on the floor and laid down on the couch and held the ticket over her heart.

One more reason for me to hate Blueblood. Spike thought. Twilight was about to get up to question but then she remembered her mind is linked to Spike and due to the Elements of Harmony his mind is linked to the others and that Spike has a crush on Rarity. So what are you going to do?

“I don't know. All my… oh shoot I never asked you if you wanted to go. I am sorry. Do you want to go?”

Actually yeah, I do. And so do you. And that we want everyone to attend this year as well. So just ask Princess Celestia.

Twilight thought about it, Spike was right. Maybe if she explained everthin.... “Spike take a letter.” Twilight ordered. After rolling his eyes Spike puffed up a scroll and quill and prepared to write. “Dear Princess Celestia, I have recently received a ticket for the Grand Gala and while I do wish to attend I am not sure I can. I just made these friends and I don’t want this to be a reason for friction. Applejack would like to attend to sell her wares. I know this event is catered… Rainbow Dash wants to network with the current members of the Wonderbolts. Fluttershy would like to see the preserve in your gardens and with the animals there. Pinkie Pie would like to attend because...well you remember the Summer Sun Celebration and the double party. And Rarity… she too wishes to network. I know It may be overstepping things, but can my friends own wants come too, can they attend? I’m sorry to say that I can’t in good conscience attend without my friends. Sincerely Your Faithful Student, Twilight Sparkle. PS I look forward to seeing Princess Luna again.”

Twilight did a quick look over to make sure Spike hadn’t missed anything, or misspelled anything, before rolling it up with an approving nod. As Spike was about to send the message they heard a knock on the door. Twilight answered it, it was Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy. “What are you guys doing here?”

“Well, you told us not tell the others and then they ended up finding out anyway,” said Rainbow Dash, “so we thought th…”

“Everyone who doesn’t live in this building out, now,” said Twilight rather forcefully, “Spike and I are attending to the issue of my invitation that is devoid of you all, in fact we were just about to send it off. No, none you are permitted to read it yet, I say that because I’m sure at least one of you will end up finding it or a copy of it some time after today, but for the time being please vacate my home for the day so I can get all of the things that need to be done today actually done,” it seemed that Twilight’s preemptive rant was well timed see as she managed to cut Rainbow, Pinkie and Rarity all off before they even said anything. Pinkie and Rainbow, Twilight understood them wanting to read it, but Rarity was a bit of a surprise. After everyone left Twilight nodded to Spike to breath his fire and send the letter off. Shortly there was another knock at the door. Oh that’s probably everyone wanting to apologies for today. Thought Twilight.

Either that or someone saying you got another mail order that you don’t recall making, seriously who keeps sending you those random snow globes? Said Spike with a snarky tone. Twilight answered the door and there was Brighteyes Muffins in the Mystican standard mail delivery uniform, with the Magiville town crest on her left shoulder with a set of bubbles on her right shoulder.

“Special Delivery for Twilight Sparkle.” Brighteyes said in her happy, bubbly voice as she handed Twilight a set of keys and a letter.

“What is this for?”

“Someone named Shining Armor sent one of those mobile storage units to you, full of stuff. I think he was trying to help you move out of your old place in Chantarlot and move in here. I think the combination to the mobile storage unit is in that letter, the keys are to your storage unit here in Magiville, which happens to currently house the mobile storage unit.” Brighteyes answered.

At that moment Reality hit Twilight like a freight train, she forgot to tell her parents she was moving and that she just left leaving most of her stuff behind. “Thank you. Say can you lead me to where the storage units are?”

“I was planning to, I made sure you were my last delivery of the day.” Brighteyes answered with a closed eyed smile that clearly came from the heart, in fact it was as if every decision she made she made from the heart.

“Thank you.” Twilight replied as she grabbed Spike and the two followed the mail-sky born.

As the three traveled, there was something nagging at Twilight. Before Twilight asked, “I have strabismus. It’s not easy, but no-one knows their way around Magiville like me.”

“Oh… sorry that…”

“It’s alright, you didn’t know, but there are a few people in town that view me as little more than a ditz because of my ‘derped’ up eyes. But there is this one person in town that wouldn’t want me to change a thing.” Brighteyes said with a smile on her face, as if she…

“So who’s the guy?” Twilight asked as they walked. Just then a Earth-born man dressed in a brown trench coat with an hourglass embroidered on the back, brown pants and a white shirt with a green neck tie was blown out of one of the windows.

“Muffin!!! Are you alright?” Brighteyes asked as she ran to the

“I’m fine. Just a little scraped up.” the Earthborn man said as he got to his feet.

“Please tell me that Dinky was not in there. Because if anything happened to her…” Brighteyes look shifted to be clearly angry, in spite of and despite her strabismus.

“She is with Amethyst Star, Golden Harvest and Noi, they are practicing for the Sisterhood Social. She’s the eldest of five sisters. Sorry I didn't quick get your name, Twilight Sparkle I assume.” the male Earth-born said turning to Twilight Sparkle.

“So, you’re Dr. Time Turner Who, I assume?”

“Technomancer, Chronomancer and Artificer, for all your physic bending needs.” He said as he took out a business card and handed it to Twilight. “You should definitely come and see my lab sometime. You have no idea what science can unlo…”

“Time Muffin, Ms. Sparkle and I have places to go and I need to turn in my uniform. But I will gladly see the results of your latest experiment, after you of course clean up.” Brighteyes said pointing the broken window and the likely mess inside. Time Turner gave a laugh of defeat as he got back up and headed inside. “He means well, but he thinks with his gut, despite having three different doctorates. But I love him all the same.” Brighteyes informed and Twilight made a note of that.

The two continued to walk and talk and for some reason Twilight noted that Brighteyes as a good at flight as Rainbow Dash, at least for the day to day flying. Maybe she would be even better than Rainbow Dash if she didn’t have ‘wall-eyes’. Soon they arrived at Twilight’s new storage unit, well to be more accurate it was the storage unit of the Golden Oak Library to be used by the residing librarian, if any. The storage unit that Magiville had was just big enough to fit the mobile storage unit sent to her by Shining Armor. “Well, here you are, I better be getting home. Time Turner tends to go overboard with his experiments without an adult chaperone. See you tomorrow, maybe you’ll get another snow globe, I am so envious.”

“Wait how do you know I get those snow globes?” Twilight asked confused as to how Brighteyes knew about the snow globes.

“I have been delivering all kinds of things, one time there was this order that had, Princess Celestia knows why, a flower pot, an anvil and a piano of all things. So I can tell what’s in a package, makes surprising me on Hearth Warming very hard though. And I really misse being surprised. Well Good Day.” Brighteyes then flew off.

Twilight opened the letter and read it out loud to herself and Spike “Dear Twily,

Mom, Dad and I finished packing your stuff. We look forward to hearing from you. LSBFF. Oh yeah Dad ordered some snow globes for you and had them sent to your new residence. I guess he wants to remind you of home. Also Mom sent her copy of the Daring Do series in addition to yours… I never understood why she bought any in the first place, you know since A.K. Yearling is her rival in the action-themed novel. Well whatever. Oh, I sent Spike all my re-prints, I so hope he enjoys them. The combination to the lock is your birthday. Well take care Twily,

Your BBBFF, Shining Armor.” Twilight finished reading.

Well, let’s get unpacking. Spike thought. Twilight only sighed, she was not looking forward to the unpacking and transporting, but she had to admit it was nice for her family to send to her her things.

When they got back to the library with the last of the items from Twilight’s old place of residence an hour later, Twilight found the letter they just sent attached to the door with a pin that resembled Celestia’s mark and a smiling A++, something Twilight hadn’t seen since she was twelve (and felt a little embarrassed about it, especially since it was her name at the bottom the page, Princess Celestia had cleverly hidden her name with the size and positioning of the pin). Wondering, and worrying, why her letter to the princess was right there on her door she carefully checked the door before tentatively opened the door. When it was fully opened she saw Princess Celestia sitting in Spike’s favorite chair munching on, of all things, a small handful of Twilight’s rolled omelettes from her preparations for a potential picnic with her friends at some point in the future, and drinking some pink colored liquid from a simple glass that happened to have Cadance’s mark on it.

“You are learning about friendship much faster than I thought. But I was already on route when I got your message. You see I want to have Sweet Apple Temple cater the upcoming Grand Gala. How about you invite your friends over and I will explain everything.” Princess Celestia said. She gave off the aura that she knew everything. Unknown to Twilight there were several tickets right next to the glass Celestia was drinking from.

“How do I invite them all now? I don't have a megaphone or anything like that.”

“Spike can send messages to everyone the message is intended to. You can even send letters to your parents and Shining Armor. They would love to hear from you and they all have dragon breath candles to reply.” Celestia answered. She handed a note to Spike. “Give it a try.” Spike breathed his fire on the note. Unlike in the past when there was only one trail of smoke there were five.

“I am sorry about the mess. I was not expecting anybody and Magiville decided to close the library until I finish moving in.” Twilight was starting to panic.

“Calm down, my little mage. It’s alright. I wanted to catch you off guard because if I told you I was coming you would have worried yourself into a mental break down.” Celestia said as she laughed rather un-princess like. Twilight was befuddled at this degree of… familiarity that Celestia was showing. Like Celestia wasn’t her mother-like teacher but the fun aunt. “How about I help you organize.”

“But Pri…” Twilight started only to see Celestia started levitating everything Twilight brought in.

“I will not hear any protest. Now let’s get to work.” Celestia said as everything she levitated began to fly to where their places would be. Twilight started to help, mostly because she thought that a princess should not be cleaning up… well her mess. After half an hour everything was neat, in order and the library was ready to be open again. There was a knock on the door. Twilight answered it and all her new friends were there, Applejack in the front.

“Hey Sugarcube, we got your note. But what in the hay happened to your hand writ.. PRINCESS CELESTIA… um… ah… your highness!” Applejack said as she and the others entered and noticed almost too late that Princess Celestia was also there.

As they all started to bow, “Rise, and be at ease, my little mages. I have heard from Twilight that you each wish to attend the Grand Gala and your reasons for it. I will start with you, Paladin of Sweet Apple Temple.” Celestia said and saluted Applejack, it was the proper greeting to warriors of the Divine, whether they hold more to Avatar Zacherle or Avatar Faust, even for a demigoddess like her. After the salute, “You won’t be able to sell any of your wares, as the Grand Gala and such events are catered. However after tasting the food from this year’s main Summer Sun Celebration, in particular the hard cider. Now the standard catering is eight thousand bits, but we have to remember transporting, you will need an appropriate dress, as well your guests… so ten thousand bits.” Celestia said as she levitated from the stand three tickets and a ten thousand bit bill note.

Applejack accepted the three tickets and the bill note“#2, Applejack Apple V.I.P., and two guest tickets. Apple Bloom is going to have the time of her life, and Big Mac, well he may actually enjoy himself. Thank you kin… Wait did you say… ten… thous…” Celestia nodded and Applejack fainted but was quickly brought back with some smelling salts Pinkie Pie had in one of her pockets, which smelled a bit differently than most other smelling salts.

Turning over to Rainbow Dash, “I am given to understand that you wish to network with the current members of the Wonderbolt to increase your chances of being extended an invitation to attend the academy. However I must inform you that at the Gala the Wonderbolts are not actually there for enjoyment. You see the nobles and most wealthy of Mystica view being a patron to a Wonderbolt as a status symbol. At the Gala, most Wonderbolts are there to… flatter the ego of their patrons and solicit more funds pay for their equipment, as the Wonderbolts’ equipment is a few steps above standard issue for the aerial branch of the ESM. As for newer Wonderbolts they are seeking patrons, but after the first actual dance, they tend to gather at the bar, having done what they needed to. That would be the best time to approach them and talk.” Celestia said as she levitated two tickets to Rainbow Dash.

“#3, Rainbow Dash, V.I.P. and a guest ticket. But who am I am going to invite?” Rainbow Dash asked out loud. “Fluttershy you want to go?”

“Yes I do.” Fluttershy answered as she was about to accept the ticket before Celestia levitated it into Rainbow Dash’s pocket.

“Hold on Fluttershy, I was just about to get to you. I didn’t need Twilight’s letter to tell me you wished to see the nature preserve in the Royal Gardens, but the night of the Gala is not the best time, as the animals don’t like the guests as the guests tend to not be the most thoughtful towards them. I do, however, wish to extend to you a personal invitation to come and spend the night and day before the Gala in the Royal Gardens, in fact you can spend a week if you wish and with this ticket, you can also go to the Gala itself.” Celestia said as she levitated another ticket and presented it to Fluttershy along with a week pass to stay in the Royal Gardens, valid the week leading up to the Gala.

“#4 Fluttershy, Companion Status V.I.P., Your majesty… I can…” Fluttershy stuttered as she accepted both.

“Please, I command it.”
‘Hold on a second, what does companion status mean?’ Spike asked in Draconic.

“It means that I am expecting Fluttershy to bring her animal companion Angel Bunny with her, it’s similar to Twilight’s Familiar Status.” Celestia explained after giving a rather un-princess like giggle. “Now to you, Rarity.”

“Yes, your grace?” Rarity asked as the princess turned to her.

“You wish to meet my great… oh screw it we’re talking over one thousand five hundred years worth of generations… grand nephew, the Grand Duke, Prince Blueblood…” at that everyone, including Princess Celestia paused in fright as they heard Spike hiss… he never hissed like that, even to Angel Bunny. After a few seconds, “As I was saying, I want to give you a fair warning, he’s not the charming prince you are expecting. But I doubt I can persuade you to not follow your dream. So...” Celestia said dejectedly as she levitated two tickets to Rarity.

After accepting them with her own magic, “#5 Rarity V.I.P. and one guest ticket, well Sweetie Belle’s birthday is the following day, maybe she’ll accept this as her gift from me… wait a minute, dresses, I still have to make dresses for everyone.”

“And two suits, one for Spike, one for Big Mac.”

“Three, Angel Bunny, you want to look your best at the party? Right?” Fluttershy said turning to her rabbit. Angel knew he was not going to win this argument so he just nodded, clearly not happy but accepting.

“Hold on one minute.” Pinkie said and her whole demeanor morphed into a sorrowful one, on the verge of tears. “What…(sniffle)... about…(sniffle)...Pinkie?” she asked and as she asked it was as if a violin was playing… “Actually Foxhelm, that’s a viola playing.” Pinkie said to the author/narrator… a sad tone.

“Why did she just stare into the wall just say that?” Twilight asked.

“You don’t seem to take advice very well, it’s Pinkie Pie, don’t question it.” Rainbow Dash said.

“Actually Miss Pie, I was saving you for last. You see the Grand Gala is not the kind of party you normally attend and or host. It can be very… stuffy from your perspective. However, it’s not a party without Pinkie Pie. Maybe with the right guests, you’ll have a great time, but do know the best time for partying like you do is during the actual dance.” Celestia said as she levitated five tickets to Pinkie Pie.

Pinkie Pie’s demeanor changed back to it’s usual happy and almost carefree self. “#6 Pinkamena Diane Pie, V.I.P. and four guest tickets.” Pinkie gasped at that. “I got to go and tell my sisters. I’ll be back in a week. Maud will have a great time, Limestone could really use a break from the rock farm and Marble may find just the right person to open up to. Bye everyone.” Pinkie Pie said cheerfully as she accepted the tickets and skipped out of the library to the train station.

“Well… that went better than I thought.” Celestia said. “Well I best be going. I need a good night sleep, still bringing Luna up to speed. Well farewell, everyone.” and with a flash she was gone.

Told ya asking Princess Celestia would resolve this. Spike thought and went over to his chair and made himself comfortable.

“Well, Ah best be getting back to Sweet Apple Temple, see yah Sugarcube.” Applejack said as she headed out of the library and home.

“Well I best head to my cottage, it’s can be quite the walk at times. See you later, Twilight. Come along Angel.” Fluttershy said as she and Angel Bunny left and headed home.

“Well I got work in the morning, still have to finish paying off my cage of cider. But man am I sore.” Rainbow Dash said as she rolled her shoulders and rubbed the muscles of her arm. “How the hell do Earthborn keep doing that day in and day out?” Rainbow Dash asked as she started to fly out.

“They must have an innate level of stamina that Magicborn and Skyborn don’t have.” Twilight mused. “Well, good night Rainbow.”

“Yeah check you later.” Rainbow Dash said as she again started to head out.

“I would recommend going to the spa and have a massage or soaking in one of the hot tubs. Well I have to head back to my boutique, I need to check on my supplies, make sure Mother and Father haven’t encouraged Sweetie Belle to use too many of my gems for her arts and crafts. Well good night Twilight, and you as well, Spikey-Wikey” Rarity said as she too left.
Twilight yawned, “Well it has been a long day. Let’s go to bed.” Twilight then left to change into something more fitting for sleep. After changing clothes she took Spike and went to her bed, resting the dragon just above her head. “Good night Spike.”

“Goodnight Twilight.” and the two, for once in over eight years, fell to sleep together.