• Published 18th Jul 2015
  • 2,106 Views, 80 Comments

It's Got To Be My Destiny - 1Bluefur



Twilight Sparkle, esteemed magical scholar and known reclusive writer. Years after her failure to enroll in Celestia's School she finds herself in quiet Ponyville, hoping to learn how to educate young minds. Destiny has other ideas.

  • ...
3
 80
 2,106

Sweet As An Apple

Twilight was brought out of her thoughts when her hooves hit well-trodden dirt. As they were leaving the town proper she noticed trees were becoming more frequent, coming up on their left was a well-maintained white fence. She picked up the distinct scent of apples in the air.

The unicorn slowed down, returning to Fluttershy’s side. There was still a bit of tension from her argument with Rainbow Dash earlier. “Okay, I never got the point of the whole… Friendship… Thing… But Fluttershy is clearly friends with Rainbow Dash… So if I want to be on good terms with her I should at least try a better apology...”

She managed to figure out what she wanted to say just as the sign for Sweet Apple Acres came into view. “Hey, uh, thanks again for helping me out Fluttershy.” The pony in question didn’t seem to react. Twilight was once again unsure if the other pony was even listening. It seemed the yellow pegasus was pretty good at not displaying emotion when she wanted to. Regardless, something in her gut told Twilight that she wasn’t being ignored.

“I also wanted to say sorry about Rainbow Dash. I’m not always the best with other ponies… To be honest I never really got the point of friendship at all…” Twilight paused awkwardly before continuing. “The point is, there’s just a lot I don’t understand. But you clearly trust her so… I guess I should give her more of a chance too.”

Twilight was surprised at her own sincerity. The unicorn felt the faintest twinge of anxiety about how Fluttershy was going to react, which was also surprising. “It’s just because I don’t want to make any enemies” Twilight reassured herself “I’m not interested in making friends, I have to have enough time for my work and my studies.”

Astonishingly, the other pony smiled. They both came to a halt in front of Sweet Apple Acres. “It’s okay Twilight. I can tell you’re a little uhm, awkward around others,” she said. “I’m not angry or anything because I kinda know what it’s like.” Her gaze met Twilight’s for a moment before quickly looking away. “Uhm, you know cuz, I’m not that great with other ponies either… Or uhm… Friendship… Even if I do like having friends.”

There was yet another awkward pause as Twilight absorbed what the pegasus pony had said. “Well! Here we are! I can’t wait for you to meet the Apples!” Fluttershy suddenly continued speaking. She started moving towards the farmhouse in the distance with a surprising amount of speed.

As Twilight trotted to keep up the other pony continued, “Applebloom is just the sweetest little filly you could ever meet. I think she’s even in your class! Granny Smith is really great. Even if she’s a little bit uhm, strange, b-but in a good way! Then there’s Big Mac…” Fluttershy trailed off. Twilight look at her confused as the two were coming up on the main entrance.

“What about Big Mac?” Twilight prompted. Fluttershy flushed, her cheeks were now a lot more pink than yellow.

“Oh uhm, he’s just really nice,” she mumbled so softly, Twilight could barely hear the response.

“I am never going to understand ponies.” The unicorn thought to herself. Instead of asking anymore questions she decided to take a better look around. They were at the end of the road into the orchard. She could see the farmhouse and barn very clearly.

The chicken coop was pretty close to the main entrance and as they passed she could hear them happily clucking away. They seemed to be very well taken care of and extremely healthy.

Various fields of crops surrounded them, including a carrot field with a distinct building Twilight could only assume housed the carrot harvest. There was also an impressive cornfield between the carrots and the western part of the apple orchard.

The air was filled with the scents of crops and farm animals. Twilight was actually a bit overwhelmed with all there was to take in. Her head kept moving back and forth as she tried to get a good idea of the land’s layout.

“Well howdy! You must be Twilight Sparkle!” A voice startled Twilight out of her thoughts. Coming from the farmhouse was an orange mare with a well-kept yellow mane that was tied back in a neat ponytail. Her emerald eyes sparkled with friendliness.

“Twilight’s here?!” Before Twilight could form half a thought, another, far younger voice came from behind the orange mare. A yellow filly sporting a very big, very pink bow came eagerly rushing out.

Skidding to a halt in front of the stunned unicorn, the earth pony hopped up and down a couple of times. “I heard you were gonna be my teacher!” she said, “That’s so cool! I’ve never lived with my teacher before!”

“Uh… Well… Technically I’m not going to be your teacher, Miss. Cheerilee is. I’m just here to learn how to be a teacher.” Twilight managed to smile politely as she responded. “That must be Applebloom, but I have no idea who that other mare is, she’s clearly family though. Why didn’t anypony mention her? She can’t possibly be Granny Smith.”

Excitement drained from the filly’s face. “Oh,” she said, there was a short pause before she continued, “Wait… Does that mean you’re a student? But you’re a grown pony!” Twilight didn’t get a chance to answer as the orange mare had arrived and put a hoof on the filly’s shoulder.

“Now settle down Applebloom,” she said with amusement in her tone, “Learning how to teach is a bit different than what you little ones learn from Cheerilee. Twilight will be helping Cheerilee with her lessons. So even if she’s not replacing Cheerilee as your teacher, she’s kind of like… A second teacher,” the mare then glanced up and smiled at Fluttershy. “Well howdy Fluttershy, it’s lovely to see you!”

“It’s good to see you too Applejack,” the pegasus in question replied. “I would uhm, give you a hug but…” she glanced at the cart hitched around her.

“Applejack,” Twilight mused, the name felt familiar somehow.

Applejack let out a laugh “No worries, if you want me to bring that the rest of the way I’d be more than happy!”

In the meantime, the youngest Apple had been contemplating the responses she got. Just as Applejack finished her offer the filly spoke again, “So she is gonna be my teacher! Well why didn’t ya say so?!”

Twilight felt a strange mixture of annoyance and embarrassment. “Oh no, if I can’t even explain my job to a filly how am I going to teach them?!” she thought. “Uh well… Ya see…”

“Applebloom! Enough questions sugarcube, Twilight is probably quite tired. Perhaps you can ask her about school tomorrow?” Twilight felt filled with relief. She had only known Applejack for a few minutes but the mare already seemed like the most normal pony Twilight had met so far. “For now, Granny Smith and Big Mac still need your help inside, okay?”

The filly looked rather put out, but she didn’t argue. “Okay Applejack,” she said, “It’s nice to meetcha Miss. Sparkle.” She turned and walked back to the farmhouse, much less enthusiastically than when she came out before.

“Sorry about that, Applebloom has always been excitable,” Applejack chuckled, “Well you heard the gal, my name is Applejack. I don’t know if anypony has mentioned me but I actually recently moved back to Ponyville. I’m not sure if I’ll be staying here or with my colleague Rarity. But it’s really nice to meet you Twilight Sparkle.”

“Well that explains why her accent sounds different,” Twilight thought. The way the mare spoke was pretty distinguished from the other Apples. Although she had the same twang in her voice, it was a lot milder than her sibling. “Well it’s nice to meet you too Applejack,” she said, for once not solely out of nicety “I hope you don’t mind me asking, where are you from?”

The orange mare seemed amused at the question. “I suppose you don’t know much about fashion if you’re asking that,” she said. “Honestly, that’s a good thing. No offense but a lot of ponies in the fashion scene from Canterlot are a… Hoof-full to reckon with.”

Twilight had no clue what Applejack was talking about. It must have showed in her expression because the other mare chuckled again and put a friendly hoof on Twilight’s shoulder. “Don’t worry about it sugarcube, you seem like good company. I’m actually from here but I lived most of my life in Manehatten. It’s pretty good to be back though. Now, let’s go in and meet the rest of your new family. Fluttershy and I can help you unpack after.”

“New family?!” Twilight thought, “Oh for ponies sakes what the hay do I even say to that?!” the unicorn didn’t have a lot of time to figure it out though, because Fluttershy was already responding to the orange earth pony.

“Oh uhm Applejack, sorry to interrupt, but I just wanted to let you know that I won’t need help bringing the cart in”.

“Okay sugarcube, as long as you feel comfort-“

Before Applejack could finish her reply there was an embarrassingly loud gurgle from Twilight’s stomach. She felt her cheeks heat up as the two ponies with her burst out in laughter.

“Alright then, that settles it, let’s go in. Rest assured Apple family cookin’ is the best you’ll ever have!” the earth pony’s voice took on a bit more twang as she got excited about dinner.

As the three mares started towards the farmhouse Twilight briefly mused on her day. Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and now Applejack… She couldn’t remember the last time she interacted this much with so many ponies… Without reading a book even.

“New family,” Twilight didn’t know what she thought about that. She was honestly too tired and hungry to care at that point. “As long as I get to study in peace,” she thought. Though she was soon going to discover that there was nothing more important to the Apples than spending time with family… Especially chosen family.

Author's Note:

Can somepony say zombie fic? :pinkiegasp:

AJ's cutie-mark will be noted in the next chapter. It's going to be a little bit different from the cover image though, and I've got my reasons for that :ajsmug:. Reasons that I admit will probably make the plot a lot easier to predict but eh, not planning on writing a serious epic. I'll leave that to the greats for now.

Anywho, I can't imagine Applejack fully commiting to a upstuck Manehatten lifestyle, even if she grew up there. She can talk the talk, and walk the walk, but deep down she's still honest and reliable. It's going to be fun puzzling out the finer points of her character cuz she's definitely more complicated than the AJ we know. More of her backstory shall be revealed.