• Published 24th Jul 2015
  • 10,213 Views, 1,496 Comments

Split Second: An Eternity Divided - wille179



Sparkle is no stranger to death. At least when you're a necromancer, death is avoidable. Or is it? With a new body and new goals, Sparkle is ready to take on the world. Sequel to Split Second.

  • ...
43
 1,496
 10,213

The Other Side of the Coin

The two goddesses were reclining on giant, ornately decorated pillows, conversing between themselves. The building they were in had also transformed into a miniature palace under the direction of Sparkle’s parents, who were experimenting with their new control over the afterlife’s environment. Outside, Thorn and Cobalt had decided to spar, in order to test their new power, never mind that they were inside each other’s head and could see and feel everything from each other. Scootaloo had decided to watch the titan and the assassin spar, which ended up with the two males turning it into a competition of who could win more of her adoration.

Yet the general good mood was soured by the sheer amount of unknowns they were dealing with. Sparkle was just finishing up her explanation of what she knew to Twilight.

“So, we really are goddesses?”

Sparkle nodded.

“We look the way we do because you attached extra bits to your soul, and your bodies adapted to that. Then, me being me, I reflected that during my own ascension.”

Sparkle nodded again.

“And we’re potentially stuck here until we can figure out a way home,” Twilight said.

“Yeah, I can’t feel the one anchor I had left. We could be drifting through the void for all I know.”

“Wonderful.” Twilight’s shoulders slumped.

“I'm not that worried, though. Thorn says that we can’t be stuck here forever because I met myself, the future me -”

“Oh, right. Time travel,” Twilight muttered.

“And I couldn’t have met me unless I returned home and lived long enough to find a way back in time. Circular causality is a wonderful thing in situations like this,” Sparkle remarked.

Twilight smiled. Her hoof traced the plant-like embroidery on her cushion. “Of course, that means you absolutely must find a way to time travel.”

The dark goddess nodded. “Of course, you do too. There were books that described you. Obviously, you have to go back at least once.”

The goddess of life replied, “Fine, but we have to get out of here first. I don’t even know how I got here to begin with. Sure, I was floating in the void, but what connection would I have with this place?”

“I might have an idea,” Sparkle replied. “I’ll try and confirm it later, though. Home first, and preferably before we eat through my stockpile of real food.”

“Wait, what? Can’t you just make food in here?”

Sparkle shrugged. “Yes and no. I can, but nothing made in here can leave here. If you eat it, and then you exit, the matter vanishes from your body, wherever it might be. I’ve got enough for four people for a month, but I’m bigger, Thorn’s bigger, and we have you and Scoots to feed as well. Plus, wherever Sombra is, he’s eating some of that food. I guess I should put him into stasis...” Sparkle’s horn darked. Like ink flowing in water, a specter emerged from her horn. However, in the afterlife, it took on a far more pony-like form than before. In fact, it was so realistic that the little inconsistencies made it look rather unsettling.

Nodding, for it was created already knowing its task, the specter flew off to find the ex-tyrant to kiss into an enchanted sleep. “That’s easy enough,” Sparkle remarked as it flew away.

Then she stood up and stretched. “Ah... Ok, let me put Scootaloo to bed as well, and then we’ll go figure out if there's still a connection to home.” She trotted outside to where the rest of the group was.

Craters dotted the landscape, while the burning husk of a city provided the backdrop. For supposedly “light” sparing, the surrounding environment looked like a battlemage’s warzone. Above the two warring combatants, Scootaloo watched from her cloud perch.

“Hey, Mom,” Thorn’s deep voice rumbled. The titanic dragon landed before shrinking down as far as he could go. Alas, he’d never be small enough to ride on Sparkle’s back ever again. “Look what I can do. Cobalt!”

The assassin nodded and launched a high-powered cutting curse at the drake, cleanly decapitating the latter. Thorn’s head bounced on the ground once before the body went and picked it up. “Ok, you know how with injuries like this, I’d need you to stitch me back together?” His severed head said. “I can do it by myself now.”

The lich tossed his head up into the air. A tendril of blood shot out of his neck, latched onto the head as if the blood was rope, and then pulled it back in. With a wet squelch, his head landed back on his body and started healing the wound. A second later, and Thorn was literally as good as new. “Cobalt’s got a healing factor, too.”

“Yes,” Cobalt agreed, “though it doesn’t seem to be as fast as Thorns. Still, I had a gash on my leg that I don’t have now.”

“Interesting. We’ll investigate that more later. For now, I need to borrow Scootaloo,” Sparkle said.

Looking down from her cloud at the sound of her name, Scootaloo called out, “Yeah?”

Sparkle levitated the filly down to her. “Sorry, Scoots, but it’s nap time.”

Before the orange pegasus could reply, a sleep spell crashed against her head. She was unconscious an instant later. “Mom, Dad,” Sparkle called out. “Could you watch over Scootaloo for a while?”

“Sure thing,” the ghost of Twilight Velvet replied. “We’ll keep her nice and comfy.”

“You know how to contact me if you need to,” Sparkle said. “And... she’s in an enchanted sleep, so if there happen to be some loud noises, she won’t wake up.” She turned to her son and student, and motioned for them to follow.


“You do realize that they’re-”

“Yes.”

“Twelve years apart and-”

“I know.”

“I’m just saying that-”

“Cobalt, would you kindly stop talking about the thing that I know my parents may or may not be doing?”

Cobalt’s jaw snapped shut against his will.

“Thank you.”

The group continued on in silence for a time. Cobalt shot Thorn a pleading glance. Thorn replied with a smirk, and then inhaled. “They’re fucking like rabbits, aren’t they?”

Seething, Sparkle growled, “LANGUAGE.” Next to her, Twilight was similarly gritting her teeth, as well as blushing profusely.

“And yet she doesn’t deny,” Thorn quipped. “So... Mom... any chance that you’d let me lose my virginity any time soon?”

Sparkle stopped, groaned, and then teleported a good distance ahead.

It didn’t help, as everyone else in the group just teleported after her. However, before they did catch up to her, Twilight gave the two males each a no-nonsense glare, which served to get them to drop the matter entirely. Sure, Thorn might have been a demigod-dracolich, and Cobalt might have been a goddess-empowered assassin, but Twilight was a full goddess of the opposite power, placing her firmly in the “do not screw with” category.

As Twilight appeared next to her sister, she asked, “So where exactly are we going?”

“One of the new sections of the afterlife. I built this place with a large number of precautionary monitoring spells, so that I could always have a good idea of what’s happening in- and outside. When I arrived, I noticed that there was a large, steady flow of energy through this dimension, with a slight net increase in the total energy inside.”

“Could that chain that I used to get here be causing it?” Twilight asked.

“Wait. Was it a black chain that seemed to emerge from your body?” Sparkle asked, surprised.

“Not exactly. It seemed to flow into me and split into two smaller chains that came out of me,” Twilight said. “I had to pull on the big one really hard to get moving.”

“Interesting. I had the same chains, in the opposite directions. I just latched on to the big chain to get pulled here. I wonder what they were.” Sparkle paused. She lifted a hoof and pressed on a spot that looked like empty air to everyone else. The air split open like a curtain, revealing a dark room beyond. “Beauty first.”

Twilight raised the single eyebrow over her left eye cluster. Then, she turned and went inside. Sparkle followed suit, and then Cobalt and Thorn entered behind her. Sparkle clicked her tongue, and the room flooded with light.

Whatever they expected to see, that which lay before them was definitely not it. There were only two things, both of which dominated the massive chamber. Closest to them was a massive tree made of solid blue crystal, with branches that formed a perfect three dimensional fractal. Sparkle noted that it exactly matched the cutie mark tree on Twilight’s flanks, which had grown symmetrical because of her ascension. On the branches, Sparkle thought the tree was bearing glowing fruit, but then gasped when she realized that it wasn’t fruit, but infant souls growing on that tree. Down on the ground, a river of glowing, liquid soul-stuff fed the tree, originating from the main areas of the afterlife. From above, a golden mist - even purer soul-stuff, rained down upon the tree.

But behind the tree of souls, the far wall of the room was missing. Instead, there was a shimmering, translucent membrane, beyond which Sparkle could see the sheer madness of incomprehensible void. Something deep within her knew that bringing a mortal pony unprotected into this chamber would destroy them.

It seemed that even this glimpse was too much for Cobalt. He whimpered and covered his eyes. Taking pity on him, Sparkle teleported him out of the chamber.

“This is... wow.” The words to describe it simply wouldn’t come to Twilight.

“I think that this place is yours,” Sparkle said. “The tree, it’s your cutie mark.”

Drawn by some irresistible urge, Twilight trotted up to the tree and placed her hoof on it. Like a fireworks show encased in glass, color exploded forth from the point where she touched and ricocheted up the branches. Hundreds of new souls appeared in the branches above them. A golden aura surged from Twilight’s horn and plucked an infant soul from the lowest branch.

Immediately, it began expanding. The single, golden point of light grew into a little ball, where it promptly burst into flame. The color rapidly shifted to a pale blue, and within the span of half a second, it had completely specialized into a newborn pony foal’s soul.

“Euphoria.” The word escaped Twilight’s lips without her even consciously realizing what she had said. And yet, in the instant that followed, the soul surged in brightness. The magic of the afterlife kicked in, and within two seconds, the body of a pale blue foal formed around it. “She’s ready,” the goddess of life remarked with no small amount of awe and wonder.

Yet no instinct pushed her further. Twilight was left waiting, holding the new infant lovingly in her magic, but with almost no idea what to do next. “She needs to go. Her body’s waiting for her... but how do I get her there?”

“Twilight.” She turned towards her sister, who said, “I know you didn’t do the identity ritual, but I think I’ve figured it all out now. You are life. You, in a way, have always been life. Search within yourself; you’ll know what to do.”

Twilight closed her eyes. Her magic lifted little Euphoria up higher and towards the membrane that kept the void separate from them. Below her, one of the chains appeared, while a golden shell surrounded the infant. The shell sank down, merging with the chain until a single link was glowing with the same radiance. Then the chain shot forwards at impossible speeds, whisking the newborn Euphoria to the body she would inhabit for the rest of her life.

“That was amazing!” Thorn exclaimed. Sparkle nodded vigorously, too stunned for words but in full agreement.

She quickly composed herself. “I feel really honored to be one of the first people to see the birth of a new soul.”

“It wasn’t anything special,” Twilight remarked. “I do that all the time.”

“No, you didn’t,” Sparkle corrected. “Your abstract half did, but your mortal half was just an ordinary mare this morning. The new memories are probably really confusing.” She chuckled a little. “You confirmed a lot for me, though.”

Twilight took a second to process before she replied, “I did?”

“Yes. First, you proved that those chains are our connection to home - I was tracking the soul as it left - and that those chains are the road by which souls travel to and from the afterlife. You also just proved reincarnation theory-” At Twilight’s confused expression, Sparkle added, “I’ll explain later. And, I think, based on how the light seemed to split, that we’re the Life and Death of both timelines. Anyway, with that information, I think I can make us a portal to each of our timelines. There’s just one problem...”

“What?”

“I have no idea which connection goes to which timeline.”


“That’s easy,” Twilight Velvet replied when the two goddesses explained their predicament. She brushed a loose strand of her unusually disheveled mane out of her eye. “Spike.”

“Spike?” Twilight asked, then it clicked. “That’s great! We open a portal to both worlds and have Thorn send a trackable letter to Spike. Whichever portal the smoke goes through is my home!”

Sparkle facehooved, disappointed in herself for not realizing that obvious solution. She announced that she would go grab some real paper, and then teleported away. A few moments later, she reappeared with the required materials. She scratched out a quick note, wrapped it up, cast a quick spell on it, and then handed it to Thorn. Then she set to work on opening the actual portals.

It took a few minutes, but she eventually pried the two holes in space open. “Ready.”

Thorn ignited the scroll with a jet of emerald flame. Disintegrating into smoke, the scroll hovered in place for a brief moment before surging towards the leftmost portal. Sparkle immediately tossed an anchor spell through Twilight’s portal, and then another, distinctly different anchor through her own.

With the dimensional anchors in place, Sparkle let her portals fade. “Feel for them. It’s a lot like when we’re bending spacetime to meet each other. Can you sense them?”

Twilight lit her horn and scrunched her face up in concentration. “Umm... yeah, I found them.”

“Do you think you can make the jump yourself?”

She thought for a second. “Yes. I’m sure I can.”

“Good.” The death goddess smiled. “Now remember, no banishing annoying ponies here, ok? I’ll get them eventually; I don’t need them any sooner than that.”

“Got it,” Twilight replied with mock exasperation. “I assume that I can visit any time?”

“Sure.”

“Hey, what did that letter say?” Twilight inquired.

Sparkle chuckled. “Dear Spike, Your mom died and went to paradise, and then she made a baby. With love, Aunt Sparkle.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “You do realise that he’s going to take that entirely the wrong way, don’t you?”

“He’s a hormonal drake on the cusp of puberty. I KNOW,” she replied, snickering. From nearby, Thorn echoed the sound.

Twilight merely rolled her eyes. “If that’s the way you’re going to be, then I’ll see you later. I’ve got a vine infestation to fix.” Her horn started glowing.

“Twilight, wait,” Sparkle said, causing her sister to extinguish her horn.

The goddess looked back at her darker sibling. “Yes?”

“Do you have to go yet?” She asked. “I mean, the time dilation is so extreme that a second of real time is almost eleven days in here, and I can push it faster if we need it. We’ve got time... and I kind of want your help in getting this place up and running.”

Twilight paused, her face contemplative. “I suppose I could stay for a while. I’m in no rush.” She turned back towards her sister. “But I thought that you built this place with dark magic. I wouldn’t know the first thing about how to do anything in here.”

“There’s more than that,” Sparkle said. “There’s all those souls I brought with me, there’s all the souls I need to sort... I need a sorting method, too. I also need to get more of the design work done for the pits and paradise, which is probably going to take me decades anyway. We also probably need some way of disguising ourselves when we return. I could use illusions, but they’re a pain to use for a long time and you’re so out of luck in that department. And then there’s all those souls calling out for me to end their pain and... yeah, I’ve suddenly got a whole lot to do, and that’s probably not even everything.”

Twilight sat down onto the hard ground. “Wow... Actually, now that I think about it, there’s probably something I need to be doing to get things up and running for myself as well. Does that identity ritual work if you cast if for somepony else?”

Sparkle nodded.

“Yeah, I probably need to do that myself. I’m glad you stopped me. What if I had just gone home and ended up neglecting something that catastrophically impacted the next generation of ponies?”

“That would have been bad,” Sparkle replied.


Thirty seconds. That was all the time that had passed since the moment of their ascent, if you counted with a clock in the real world. It had also been just that long since a subtle magical pulse rippled through the entirety of both sets of spacetime.

The shards of Time could feel it, as the pulse solidified a fundamental aspect of reality. But they weren't the only ones. Seven other individuals reacted to the pulse.

In the heart of the Great Minotaur Maze, King Bakhotir, the God of Stone, looked to the sky, worriedly. In the great Deer forests, Lady Holone, Goddess of Water, paused mid stride, only resuming when one of her assistants addressed her. The Storm Emperor, God of the Sky, grinned wickedly, putting the griffins near him on edge. Lady Evrfyr, Goddess of Fire and the largest dragon in the world, immediately started figuring how much her investments would change when this came to light. Princess Cadance, Goddess of Love, frowned, having never felt the sensation before. Princess Luna, Goddess of Outer Space and the Night, redoubled her efforts to break free of the vines.

Luna's struggles proved unnecessary, as Celestia promptly burst into celestial flame, incinerating the vines that bound her and a good portion of the surrounding Everfree in response to the pulse.

She was mortified to learn that she’d ignited near the Tree of Harmony, but then relieved to discover that it had survived unscathed. It was at this point that the two Celestia’s diverged slightly. In Sparkle’s timeline, Celestia smiled and said, “So it was Beatrix that fulfilled Apollo’s prophecy¹. She’s earlier than I expected².” Conversely, Twilight’s Celestia frowned with worry and muttered, “If Twilight fulfilled the prophecy, does that mean her double also ascended? That cannot be good.”

Both Celestias resynchronized when the looked towards Luna, who nodded in understanding. Then, both Celestias gathered their magic and teleported to the place where they expected their student to be: the aether. They were both wrong.

Author's Note:

Some explanations for things that the characters are likely to never talk about again:

¹ The prophecy Celestia is referring to is not one that she has ever shared with anyone except her sister, nor does she ever intend to share. It states that “a pony who learns from her would ascend as the final deity.” Technically, both Twilight and Sparkle count for this, as Sparkle learned from the materials that Celestia gave Twilight, and she was given insight into a little snippet of Celestia’s past during their few encounters. However, it should be noted that the prophecy, based upon a mathematical prediction, was invalidated by the time split, and only coincidentally came true.

² Celestia knew that Star Swirl’s spell was supposed to amplify a pony’s natural magical talent to their most extreme. If it was used on a pony with the ability to ascend, she suspected that it, or its completed version, would trigger the ascension. Due to Sparkle’s interference, Trixie didn’t get the journal that had the spell yet. This is why Celestia feels that Trixie is “early.”


So I whacked my keyborad for a while and this came out. Man, I'm on a roll.