• Published 24th Jul 2015
  • 10,221 Views, 1,496 Comments

Split Second: An Eternity Divided - wille179



Sparkle is no stranger to death. At least when you're a necromancer, death is avoidable. Or is it? With a new body and new goals, Sparkle is ready to take on the world. Sequel to Split Second.

  • ...
43
 1,496
 10,221

The First Side of the Coin

She didn't remember passing out, but if her waking up was any indication, she must have. Slowly, Sparkle’s mind attempted to figure out what the buck was going on. Her last memories, those of both physical pain and spiritual pleasure, contrasted with the stillness and the uncomfortable cold she now found herself in.

With nothing better to do, she opened her eyes. It wasn’t instant, but within some arbitrary, short amount of time, she came to deeply regret that decision. Before her very eyes was pure, unadulterated madness, of a variety that made even Discord’s rampage look tame by comparison. Her ears burned from the pungent scent of the acrid blackness. Impossible geometric shapes danced before her eyes, while organic forms drifted by, so convoluted in their design that lesser individuals would be driven mad by the mere sight of them.

Sparkle recognized this place, if only by description: the edge of the incomprehensible void between universes.

And yet, as some mockery of time passed, Sparkle came to the realization that her mental facilities were not diminishing in any appreciable way. If she had been reduced to a jibbering wreck by the bizzaraties that were on display before her, she wouldn’t have been able to come to that conclusion in the first place.

That realization calmed the necromancer down immensely. A goal formed in her mind; she would escape. Sparkle realized that the odds of her ever returning to her own universe was slim, but if she could find any universe, it would be better than staying here.

A motion caught her eye. There, continuously emerging from the foggy shape that felt like her chest, was a large, black chain. Off to the sides, two smaller chains, each about half the size of the large one, flowed into her body from opposite directions. Despite their strange appearance - they were definitely not made of metal - the chains were the most normal looking things in this madness.

Being the most real looking things, Sparkle immediately latched onto the largest chain, turning it into her literal lifeline. She lurched forwards, drawn by whatever force was pulling the large chain out of her indistinct body. Sparkle didn’t know what she would find, death or salvation being major possibilities, but anything was better than this.

She drifted forwards, drawn by the chain. A distant point of black slowly expanded as she approached, filling her vision more and more. She closed her eyes, and braced herself.


She hit solid ground with a gentle thud, and promptly experienced the strange sensation of waking up while already being wide awake. She blinked her eyes open.

All around her, a light mulberry colored grass grew under a pale, yellow-green sky. The breeze gently tousled her mane as she gazed upon a very familiar castle in the distance. Somehow, against all odds, she had landed in Thorn’s portion of their pocket dimension. She sent out a mental command and, to her relief, the glass-like interface for the pocket dimension control appeared before her.

She gestured with a hoof and felt the whole dimension shudder as its relative time shifted. Instead of being in near stasis, time inside was now progressing nearly a million times as fast as the real world, giving her plenty of time to figure out what just happened.

“MOM!” The scream from her son shattered the tranquility Sparkle had.

Before she could react, Cobalt, via Dye, telepathically screamed, “HELP ME!”

Sparkle panicked and pulled her soul in tight on instinct alone. Funnily enough, that was exactly what she needed to do to save them, for with two loud pops, Thorn and Cobalt materialized before her.

The necromancer immediately noticed something wrong with them. Thorn’s body was strangely distorted, though she couldn’t say to what extent because of how he was curled up. Cobalt’s body, while not distorted, had moving, black lines covering his body. But the worst was their souls. Thorn’s soul portion was swelling up like a balloon and rapidly deforming, while Cobalt’s soul looked like it was being crushed by some sort of giant dragon claw made from soul-stuff.

They both opened their eyes, and Sparkle suddenly saw Death. It was as if she was seeing through their eyes, and they were gazing upon Lady Death herself. She gasped and took a step back; so did Lady Death.

She waved, and so did Lady Death.

She spoke, and though their ears and through her own, she heard a less-distorted version of Lady Death’s voice come out of her own mouth. “What? What’s going on?”

Thorn stood up, and as he did, Sparkle recognized the form he had taken from ancient illustrations: he was Death’s Keeper. He had six limbs, arranged like a Centaur’s body. Two curved horns protruded from his head. On his face, six eyes, arranged in two clusters of three gazed down at her. Every one of his spines was sharper than before, and the blade on his tail now resembled a sword. His wings, with their shadowy membrane, twitched unconsciously and draped themselves over his lower body’s back.

Through his eyes, Sparkle could see herself, transformed to look like a smaller version of Lady Death. She now had six legs, four forelegs and two hind legs. Her face looked to be encased in crystal, although it was just as sensitive to touch as the skin that had once been there. A ridge of horns extended from her primary horn, down the back of her skull - and in her mane - until they blended into the spines - the same ones as her old body had - protruding from her back. Across her body, crystal-like growths protruded out of her skin, all of them looking like bones, giving her the appearance of a walking skeleton. That appearance was accentuated by how emaciated she looked. While her mane was the same black hair that she had previously, her tail had been replaced with black vines - the same black vines that she had been fighting off just that morning. On her back, two boney wings, sans the membrane that would grant lift, sat tucked against her sides. In her mouth, her equine front had been replaced with a sharper set of flesh-ripping carnivore’s fangs.

All those observations she made through Thorn’s eyes took only a second to make. She twisted around, and gazed at the mockery of a tail she had. Giving it an experimental flick, she found that the vines acted like prehensile tentacles, reacting to her thoughts as any limb would, and providing her with an unexpected level of sensory input.

“Seriously, what's going on?” Sparkle repeated. Flashes of memory shot through her head. They felt like hers, but were distinctly different from hers as well. With a start, she realized that the link between her and Thorn was frighteningly wide open. Panicking at the thought of a repeat of the Sparkrovitar incident, Sparkle screamed, “The link!” She promptly tried as hard as she could to close it, and felt Thorn echo her efforts.

Said efforts ultimately proved fruitless, as the link refused to shut. However, Thorn made an observation: “We’re still separate. I still feel like me, and you like you, but we don’t feel like me, or it.”

“You’re right!” Sparkle realized with no small amount of relief. Even with full access to each other’s senses, memories, and bodies, they still felt like their own individual primarily in their own body. “Do you think this was the way it was supposed to be?”

“If it is, it’s much nicer than what being that thing was like,” the drake replied.

“And what about Cobalt?” Sparkle asked as she looked to the aforementioned stallion. Other than the lines, which looked something like bones painted onto his fur, Cobalt was physically unchanged.

Thorn contemplated the stallion, who was starting to bow down to them. A small part of each of the linked pair realized that this exchange between them was happening much faster than normal. “I think we’re only getting his surface thoughts and sensations, but not the reverse. He hasn’t reacted as if he can hear this.”

Sparkle hummed contemplatively. “Let’s see if he can hear this. COBALT!

Cobalt jumped. “Lady Death?”

“It worked,” Sparkle noted. “Cobalt, it’s me, Sparkle. That’s Thorn, if you didn’t recognize him.”

“Mistress? You’re Lady Death?” He broke out into a grin. “Called it.”

“If you’re making jokes, I assume that you’re feeling alright. Are you?” Sparkle asked.

He nodded. “I feel good. Really good. I can feel power pouring into me - your power. There’s no mistaking that feeling. I can’t hear Dye’s voice, though, and my soul feels tight.”

Sparkle looked more closely at the “claw” that was clutching Cobalt’s soul. It only took her a second to see that it was part of her own soul, which had mysteriously grown to a massive size and density, comparable to that of Luna’s, Celestia’s, or Cadance’s souls. “Well, as long as you feel that you are healthy... I still want to know what happened to us.”

“What about the identity ritual?” Cobalt suggested. “It can show what we are now, and if we compare that to what we were...”

“We might know what happened!” Sparkle exclaimed. “That’s genius!”

The purple grass beneath them shifted, flattening out into a rough but level stone. Upon the stone, chalk lines and candles materialized, brought forth by Sparkle’s will influencing the pocket dimension. Within the span of a thought, the ritual space was constructed.

“Convenient,” Thorn remarked.

“I know, right?” Sparkle replied as she stepped into the circle. “We’ll each do this, just in case.”

Sparkle’s horn - the first one - darkened with magical power. A beam shot out and struck the flame of the first candle before splitting and ricocheting to the others before converging again on Sparkle’s head. Her eyes flashed and her mind filled with information about itself.

Without warning, the circle exploded.

The trio was sent flying. With a solid thud, they each landed on the grass some distance away. Yet they stood quickly; all three were uninjured, only needing time to recover from the surprise.

“The buck was that?” Thorn growled. “It wasn’t supposed to explode.”

“I-”

Thorn turned to look at his mother, whose first left hoof was pressed against her mouth as if she was going to be sick. Sparkle wobbled slightly as her six eyes rolled in their sockets. “I-” she repeated. Her head dropped and she threw up. It wasn’t vomit that came out.

Instead, golden light poured out of her mouth, forming a radiant pool below her. She hurled again, and more of that light came out.

When she was finally finished, she remarked, “That felt awful.”

“What was that?” Cobalt asked.

Sparkle smirked, although the expression seemed forced. “Just watch.”

The pool of light quivered, then lurched. Suddenly, it began expanding in all directions, mostly away from Sparkle, and collecting into large, ever growing, ever multiplying blobs. As each blob separated out from the rest, it grew larger and more defined. Claws, paws, and hooves started forming. Eyes, mouth, limbs, and all sorts of other body parts took shape. Within a moment, the formerly empty field was full of creatures, mostly ponies, diamond dogs, and small vermin.

There was a scream, and then suddenly the field erupted into chaos. There was screaming, cheering and hugging at first, but then the jubilation quickly died away as it was replaced by a sense of panic. Those closest to the trio suddenly realized where they were, and fled in panic. That panic quickly spread to the others, who in turn started fleeing, which in turn caused the animals to panic.

Amidst all the chaos, Sparkle stated, “The ritual worked. Apparently, it turns out that my books were wrong about soul eating, and that, A, those souls weren't actually destroyed by me eating them, and B, I’d apparently never once realized that I could cough them up. So I did - all of them.”

“All of them?” Thorn asked.

“All of them,” Sparkle affirmed. “Including-”

“SPARKLE!”

The trio turned to where the new, yet familiar voice had come from. There, charging against the crowd, were the two ponies Sparkle had desperately wanted to see again.

“Mom! Dad!”

The two ghostly ponies, a mare and a stallion, and younger looking than their living counterparts, raced up to her and caught her with a tackle hug. “Oh, Sparkle, it’s so good to see you for real!” Twilight Velvet said.

“You have no idea how long we’ve waited for this!” Night Light shouted, tears of joy welling up in his eyes.

“Thorn, get over here,” Velvet said through her sobbing. “I want to hug my grandson for the first time.”

Thorn hesitated. “How... how did you know my name? You died the day I was born.”

Twilight unconsciously pulled back from her parents upon hearing that. The same question nagged at her as well.

“We could see, hear, and feel everything you two ever did,” Night Light answered for his wife. “That’s how we recognized your new faces.”

“E-everything?” Sparkle stammered.

The older mare immediately realized what was going through her daughter’s head. “We forgive you, Twilight Velvet Sparkle.” She lifted a hoof up to her daughter’s chin. “You are our child. We’ll always forgive you, and we’ll always love you. Even if you do make some questionable decisions...”

“She’s right, you know,” Night Light replied. “We love you, and will always love you from now until forever.” He looked over at Cobalt. “Son, thank you for being there for her. I’m glad my precious little filly can count you as her friend.”

“You’re welcome, sir,” Cobalt replied.

Thorn cleared his throat to get their attention. “Not to be rude or anything, but do you think we can save this reunion for later? We’ve got more pressing matters at the moment, like the fact that we might be trapped in a bubble universe drifting through the void, that we’re trapped in here with the thousands of souls that we’ve murdered, that the Everfree forest is apparently at war with ponykind back home, or that Cobalt, Mom, and I are apparently three facets of the goddess of Death.”

The smiles faded all around. The new goddess of death massaged her forehead before her eyes suddenly went wide. “Scootaloo!”

Everyone but Cobalt immediately knew what she was talking about. When he asked, Thorn quickly filled him in. Meanwhile, Sparkle immediately took off to find the little orange pegasus, who had been unceremoniously tossed into the pocket dimension at the beginning of the attack.

Sparkle called up the interface for the pocket dimension as she ran and pulled up the map. She stopped, scowling. “The buck is going on here?”

“What?” Cobalt asked as he ran up next to her.

“The internal and external geometry of this dimension has shifted. It’s now something like 4000% of its original diameter and is partitioned into four distinct areas. It’s also shaped like a fermata with two layers in both the crescent and the central sphere, instead of the sphere it was. I didn’t make any of those changes,” Sparkle said. Her horn darkened, releasing a stream of magic into the screen.

“Can you find her?” Cobalt asked.

“I’m having the system scry for her, but this is a massive area to search, and the scrying abilities I built in are sub-par at best. I don’t actually remember where I sent her, either.”

Her frown persisted for about thirty more seconds, until suddenly a little orange dot appeared on the map, followed by a black one on a different spot. “Found her,” Sparkle declared.

The memory appeared in Thorn’s mind as well. A second later, he’d grown large enough to carry the rest of the group. “Hop on.”

A goofy grin appeared on Velvet’s face. “Oh, I always loved when you two went flying!” She eagerly hopped onto Thorn’s back.

As Night Light climbed on behind his wife, he said, “Now, if only we could talk to Shining Armor, this would be a perfect paradise.”

“Funny you should mention that,” Sparkle said, adjusting her seat between Thorn’s back spines. “Technically speaking, this is the afterlife. When I did the identity ritual, I found that this place had permanently bonded to me. This dimension’s very much a part of my soul now.”

“Wait, does that mean we’re inside you right now?” Cobalt asked.

“Yes. It’s one of three such bonds that have appeared. If I’m right about one of those bonds, it could be a path home. The other, I think, leads to Twilight’s timeline. I only have a vague idea of why that one exists.”

With a mighty flap of his wings, the draconic aspect of Death took to the off-colored sky. Directed by the map in his memory, he banked to the left and ascended up a conjured thermal.

“Huh. How much did that ritual tell you, anyway?” Cobalt asked, although his eyes were watching the strange landscape below instead of the mare his inquiry was directed to.

“More than you’d expect. Apparently, I fused to the abstract concept of death. And yet, as contradictory as it sounds, I’ve also always been this way. It’s like I had memories stretching back in time, billions of years, to the moment when the very first cell ever died, and that I’ve always been Death. And yet, I also distinctly remember being a mortal, too. It's a strange dichotomy, and it's giving me a headache.

“It also seems that I’m not done ascending. There’s a second stage to my growth, and the ritual sped it up. I think - and I don’t know how I know this - but I think that it should have taken years for me to fully ascend, and the ritual has sped it up to somewhere around a month, real time. I don’t know if that’s a good or a bad thing,” Sparkle explained.

Thorn dove low, guided by some instinctive knowledge. Then, without warning, he twisted and pushed through some invisible barrier. The world shifted around them. What was once a purple, grassy plane and an off-color sky was now near total darkness, with only a faint glow that seemed to emanate from everywhere and nowhere at once. At her mental command, sunlight erupted around them, revealing a gorgeous green field under the most vibrant blue sky one could possibly comprehend. Sparkle immediately recognized it. “Elysium.”

“This is Elysium?” her father asked. “Wow! It is! This’s amazing!”

“I... I didn’t build this place. But I did. Strange,” Sparkle muttered quietly. Then, louder, she said, “Yes. This is Elysium. Death... future me, I guess, brought me here, once. Thorn, fly lower. You have to smell it; it’s to die for.”

“No death jokes,” Cobalt quipped.

“Wait, what?” Sparkle blinked, then she got it. “Oh. No pun intended.”

Velvet asked in disbelief, “You built all this?”

“Yes. No. Sort of? It’s complicated. I think the abstract part of me did, as we were merging into one being.”

“This merging thing, what’s the deal with that?” Night Light asked. “I didn’t get to see the results of the identity ritual; it knocked me out like the last time you did it.”

“It’s complicated, but the gist of it is that the abstract concept became something like an entity without a personality or a will of its own. It and my soul merged into one singular entity, well binary if you count Thorn, with all the memories, powers, and desires of both. Since I’m the only contributor of a personality core-”

“Curseword’s second postulate states that your soul would completely subsume the partner soul and remain the sole intelligence. Fascinating,” Night Light interjected.

“Yeah, but how-?”

“Did I know?” He replied smugly. “I was reading every book you ever read. I was working out the problems alongside you. Twelve years of being trapped in somepony else’s body gives you a lot of time to learn, especially since you were almost as much of a bookworm as me.”

“And we know how every spell feels to cast correctly,” Velvet added. “Sparkle, you had two very bored magic professors in your head for over a decade. It’s safe to say that we’re almost as good of necromancers as you by proxy. And Sparkle, not to be mean or anything, but your casting method is pathetic. As soon as everything calms down, your father and I are going to be drilling you on everything, starting all the way back with telekinesis.”

Beneath them, Thorn snickered. It was enough to jostle all of his passengers.

“And you too, Thorn,” Velvet said. “I know you can use some magic; I’m going to be drilling you as well.”

“No... NOT HOMEWORK! NOOOOOO!!!”


Thorn touched down at the edge of End of The Line, the End, for short. It was a massive and completely depopulated city, with buildings that were all of the same bland design, replicated repeatedly until there was only a sea of uniformity. The End was, according to Sparkle’s mysterious new memories, purgatory. She expected there to be a huge number of ponies and other beings living here, and yet that was just not the case.

“Scootaloo is in there?” Cobalt asked, looking out at the vast cityscape before them. “It’s going to take forever to find her.”

“Not really. The spells holding this place together have some neat little features for those with author-level access. Oh, remind me to add Mom and Dad to that list. Anyway, all of these buildings are actually linked. Here, come inside.”

Everyone filed inside. The interior was just as drab as the exterior.

“Alright. Group together at the center and look out towards the walls. As soon as anybody sees anything orange, shout. Ready?”

As soon as they were, the room started flickering. For a time, nothing seemed to happen, but then Thorn shouted, “STOP!”

The flickering stopped, and then started again, but much slower. At this speed, they could tell that they were actually rapidly teleporting between nearly identical rooms. Suddenly, the flickering stopped and they found themselves in the same room as the little orange pegasus.

Scootaloo was huddled in the corner, covered by a blanket that she’d found (which, not coincidentally, didn’t exist until she’d started to look for it).

“Hey, Scoots,” Sparkle said.

Scootaloo jumped and shrieked. Then, upon seeing Sparkle and Thorn’s monstrous forms, screamed some more and pressed herself against the corner.

“Scootaloo, wait! It’s me, Rhodium! I just look different, that’s all.”

“Rody?”

“Yep. The last thing I told you was to wait here, and that I’d be back before you knew it.”

The filly smiled. “Wow. You got tall. You’re almost as tall as Princess Luna now. And your face! And body! What happened?”

Sparkle smiled and turned her body just enough so that Scootaloo could see her flank. “Oh, you could say I found a secret talent of mine.”

The cutie mark adorning Sparkle’s flanks had changed, influenced by whatever had triggered her ascension to goddesshood. The skull biting a starburst remained, but the skull now had six eyes instead of three. It was now a perfect match to every depiction of Death’s cutie mark she’d ever seen. Technically speaking, the causality of which one was matching which was the other way around, but that involved time travel, something Sparkle wasn’t thinking about at the moment.

“You got your cutie mark?” Scootaloo exclaimed. Sparkle simply smiled in response. Scoots raised her hoof. “Put ‘er there.”

Sparkle rolled all six of her eyes and decided to go along with the childish gesture. She too raised her hoof and bumped Scootaloo’s.

Scootaloo promptly died.

Her soul simply vanished and rematerialized a few hoof-lengths away, still in hoof-bump position, while her body collapsed to the floor, having had every last bit of its life forcefully expelled.

Sparkle blinked.

Scootaloo blinked.

Sparkle cleared her throat. “I can fix that.”

Three seconds later and one forbidden necromancy spell later, Zombieloo - sorry, Scootaloo - was standing up again, back in her now fully functional body.

“What was that?” multiple ponies asked.

Sparkle shrugged. “Note to self; godly power means deadly touch defaults to on.”

“Yeah, we’re going to have to fix that,” Cobalt commented.

“Among many, many other things,” Thorn quipped, answering for Sparkle.

Before anyone could say anything else, a powerful wave of magic cascaded through them. For Scootaloo, the least magically sensitive of the group, the wave didn’t even register in her mind. For the rest however, their attention was immediately drawn in the direction of the pulse’s origin. The Death Trio were especially wary, as it was a strong pulse of light magic.

Across the room, a point of golden light erupted from thin air. It rapidly grew and grew until it took the form of a mare of equal stature to Sparkle. Then it flashed, momentarily blinding the five ponies and dragon.

When it faded, a gorgeous alicorn mare stood before them. Her body was curvaceous, her coat was immaculate, and her flesh was beautiful beyond compare. In fact, were it not for a few key details, she could have easily been the hottest mare in the history of Equine culture. However, the extra forelegs and extra eyes, as beautiful as they were individually, detracted from the whole ensemble. Still, there was no denying her beauty.

This was the goddess of life and fertility, the creator of every single soul in existence. This was also the most mysterious of goddesses, having been rarely seen by any mortal ever. Some considered her to be the one who made the universe. Others considered her to be the paragon of virtue and goodness.

But all of that was second compared to what Sparkle’s soul sight showed her. For deep within the light goddess’s soul, there was a core made from something Sparkle knew all too well. It was something that Sparkle couldn’t say she didn’t expect.

“Hey, Twilight. Fancy meeting you here, of all places. Love the new look.”

Author's Note:

FINALLY! I CAN FINALLY SAY WHAT I'VE BEEN WANTING TO SAY FOR AGES!

*Ahem...*

Split Second, a story with Death in every chapter.

Anyway, this chapter focuses primarily on the "what". The next few chapters will show some more of the "why" and "how." Also, I must apologize. In the last chapter, I meant to include a Celestreea cameo. I forgot. She'll come later.