• Published 16th Jul 2015
  • 5,166 Views, 635 Comments

Cryo-7 - Metal Pony Fan



Twilight searches the galaxy for the remnants of her world with the help of freelance pilot Astral Plane.

  • ...
19
 635
 5,166

PreviousChapters Next
Singular Awakening

"You are a brave one, are you not?"

He sat, alone in the dark. Waiting, watching. For what, I could not say. I knew I would regret this the moment he spoke to me, but I felt leaving would be the greater tragedy in the end. I now know how wrong that was.

"Not the talkative sort?"

He stood, towering over me, head brushing against hanging wires, ears twitching at the touch of falling dust. The place we were in was ancient, sealed. My hooves rippled filthy water long left still. I could see no entrance, no exit. He seemed unconcerned. The spot where he sat was clean. No dust dirtied the floor beneath him. How long had he been sitting there?

"More of a listener, then? Very well."

I should have left when I had my chance.

"So bold, you ponies. Ever searching, ever seeking. Journeying farther, building higher, with no thought of what waits at end of the road, at the peak of the mountain, in the depths of the abyss. My kind were like you once."

He was a pony, taller than I, but he was a pony.

"They sought to rise above their station, to know things beyond their grasp, to control things beyond their power. This pursuit destroyed them all."

He was a pony, I was sure of it.

"Shall I tell you of this pursuit? Would you like to hear what happens when one creates a power beyond all reason?"

I tried to escape then. I don't know how he held me there, but I could not move, I could not leave. I could do nothing, nothing but listen, and watch as he walked towards me.

"Oh, no," he cooed, like one would to a child, "don't fear me, little one. I'm not referring to myself. My kind created a goddess, I am clearly not female. She was beautiful, wise, and powerful beyond compare. They discarded her for being too gentle."

He turned away from me, pacing about the forsaken place we were buried in. Water glowed and turned solid where he stepped, leaving him dry. The dust that fell burned away, rather than settle on him, leaving him clean.

"I merely wish to spare your kind the horror mine were forced to endure. She is solely to blame for what is to come, for failing to learn from last time."

He showed me. I don't know how, but within moments, he grasped the skill I spent my life learning, and he turned it back on me, showing me a time beyond memory, beyond history. A past unknown, outside of our calculations, outside our imaginings. A lost civilization that lived beneath stars no longer burning, that sought to harness the full power of those stars. They destroyed themselves. And the tools of their destruction still walk among us.

"She lied to me. I felt it. The awakening of a power that, like us, is not meant to exist. There are others as well, and there will be more still as time goes on. She has defied me at the expense of an entire world, and hidden the truth. Her deception goes so far beyond a simple lie, that I fear she is beyond forgiveness. And so, it falls to me to correct her, and mistake she is too soft to handle alone."

It was then that I realized, the singularity we have been searching for, that point where all predictive models break down, where we lose all hope of knowing, or even guessing, the future... Why were we searching for it? Why did we look forward? We should have been looking over our shoulder. It's already happened. He's here.

Our worlds, our galaxy, our search...

It is over.

It is over.

It is over.

It is over.

It is over.

It is over.

It is over.

It is over.

It is over.


Director Shiver, professor in charge of the Singularity Project at Newfolk Science Station lowered the paper he was reading. Its author, the heart of the program, a talented esper, skilled in clairvoyance and astral projection, turned slowly, hung by the neck at the end of an extension cord tied to the ceiling.

His computer station was smashed. His voice recorder sat next to it, carefully disassembled. Tablets and other devices were systematically broken in half. Important components and memory chips were removed with care, ground into small pieces under a drinking glass, and left on the desk.

A security guard waited in the doorway, unsure of what to do next. Newfolk was a quiet station, full of academics working towards common goals. They didn't have the resources, or the training to deal with something like this. All he could do was try and keep everypony away from the room until the director gave an order, or brought in outside authorities

Page after page, all the same three words, littered the floor. The printer still churned, putting out even more. It must have been running all night. A thousand pages, scattered about, repeating the same hopeless message.

It is over.

"Get him down," the director ordered quietly, shaken by the loss of the happy pony he had lunch with yesterday. What did he see to lead to this? What was he shown to convince him that his life was futile? And most importantly, who showed it to him? "I'll contact the surface, and ask them to send..." He glanced back at the body, and swallowed back the rising sick in his throat. "I don't know... Somepony."

Who would be able to handle a situation like this? What could police do? There were no authorities capable of making sense of this. The only pony capable of understanding the magic involved was the victim, and he destroyed every device that may have held an answer. Whatever he learned, it died with him.

The printer in the corner suddenly stopped whining. The director looked over as one last piece of paper spat out of it. Was it finally out?

When he picked it up, he realized it was the end of the document. This page didn't repeat the same message. It was different. It was short. It was final.


It is over.

Everything will end.

She didn't keep her promise.

Twilight Sparkle still lives.

Author's Note:

New posting schedule! I will update every Friday.

Sorry for the delay. Business has been busy, and I was sick in December with a respiratory infection. It knocked me out of commission for nearly 3 weeks, and made a large backlog of work for me to sort through in January. It is almost settled, just in time for SXSW, which is going to cause another insane backlog.

PreviousChapters Next