• Published 18th Jul 2015
  • 16,063 Views, 643 Comments

How To Raise Your Moon - Pen Mightier



Spike is the guest of honour at a high society party important to the Council of Friendship. It'll end in political disaster if he doesn't find a date for the dance. Luna magically disguises herself as his date but ends up stuck in her new form.

  • ...
51
 643
 16,063

She Likes To Sing and (Kinda) Dance

My eyes darted back and forth between the two. Blueblood was picking up his pace. He had taken notice of Sona, eyeing her worriedly out of the corner of his eye. The end of the hall where the rest of the council stood was just a horseshoe-toss away from him. One more glance at Sona told him he was still ahead, but only by a breezie length.

Sona didn't rush. She gently sailed across the floor, graceful and serene, every step resounding with mighty purpose.

The prince stopped short, his path blocked. A knot of ponies stood at the end of the hall, obstructing the way up to the raised platform where the Council members stood. The ponies were too mesmerized by the mare of mystery to notice his look of frustration. He looked like he was about to push them aside when he recognized two of the figures in his way. They were Rainbow Dash and Applejack. Both were making a pointed show of watching Sona, hooves planted firmly in his way. The prince opened his mouth, preparing to say something. But the few seconds of surprise on his part gave Sona all the time she needed.

Sona reached the stage.

Blueblood faltered.

The room went reverentially quiet as the dark blue pegasus finally climbed the circular steps to the top of the stage. She didn't need the spotlight; Everything from her silky mane to her glossy coat practically glowed with her presence. Her very mystery commanded everypony’s attention, sparing nopony and nodrake.

She placed a hoof upon the stage’s summit and, with all the grace of angel, rose up to face the crowd. She gazed out across the banquet hall. The banners, ribbons and decorations faded into nothingness behind her. There was just her and her violin.

For a moment, she felt as distant as the moon and stars. She was a stranger beyond anypony's reach, let alone mine. That strange feeling overcame me again, those alien thoughts clamouring for attention; 'Want. Spike Want!'

She gazed down at her violin, taking a slow, deep breath. A few chuckles and snorts dotted the hall. One pony next to me sniggered to another, “She forgot her bow.”

“That’s just adorable.” Another chuckled.

I looked down at the bow in my claw.

No, it wasn’t an accident. She said I’d know what to do. Things would turn awkward if I let things drag on long enough for me to carry the bow up to her. It might even give Blueblood the time he needed to finally get to Rarity. Throw it at her? No, that was a Spike-brand mishap waiting to happen. If only I was a unicorn, I’d be able to levitate it over to her. Or fly it to her if I were a pegasus. But I’m stuck being a dragon.

Wait. I’m a dragon.

That’s it!

I took a deep breath. I felt the familiar rumble build up in my belly, the rising heat tickling my throat. I spun the bow into the air above me, turning a few heads here and there. With a dull roar (more for the audience than anything), I blew a pillar of emerald flame into the air. The bow erupted into viridian sparks that spiralled together to form a brilliant emerald comet.

The ponies gave a loud gasp as the comet whizzed around the ceiling, trailing bright green stardust in its wake. It settled into an orbit around its chosen heavenly body, the mare of mystery. Then, with effortless ease, as if it were just a daily routine for the two of us, Sona raised a forehoof into the air and pulled the comet out of its orbit. She swung the comet through the rest of its arc as the bow materialized in her hoof, as if she were pulling the instrument right out of thin air in a shower of flaming green sparks.

She caught my gaze in hers. She favoured me with a fond smile. And just like that, the longing in my heart simmered away. This mare was looking at me. This goddess was smiling at me. And when she finally spoke, she spoke to me and only me, "Did I ever mention you blow the best kisses, Sparks? Because you do." She hid an adorable giggle behind her good wingtip, though it did nothing to hide the endearing blush on her cheeks. Warm laughter filled the hall. Not a single heart in the room survived unscathed, definitely not mine. I didn't know a pool of warm goo could beat this fast and hard. "Happy Birthday, Sparks." She said to me. The warmth and tenderness in her bright emerald eyes said everything else. Every single pony in the room could feel it, their eyes turning to me in a mix of admiration and envy.

It wasn't until much later that I realized that she had played every single pony in the room like a fiddle long before she got to her actual violin.

I was so transfixed by her brilliance that it took me a while to realize I had lost sight of Blueblood. The prince had melted away into the crowd. No doubt he realized he had lost the floor and had made a quick retreat to save face.

Sona's smile mirrored my own triumphant smirk. "Fillies and Gentlecolts," She turned to face the audience, "Yes, this is indeed a violin. I know how to use it. Do not be afraid." She reassured everypony. This earned her a smattering of chuckles, "I have a license for it." Even more laughter. "A guard checked everything the other day when I tried to bring my violin case inside my own bank. I think it was all the frightened looks the tellers and customers were giving me. I mean, I'm not that bad at the violin. I haven't shattered any windows lately." She put on an innocently puzzled look, earning her more uproarious laughter. "Worst case scenario, you have the Council of Friendship in here with you. I wouldn't be the first violinist to get rainbow-zapped by royal order." The roof was almost lifted by all the laughter.

I was probably the only one in the room not sharing in the amusement. I was too busy gaping in wide-eyed awe. Princess Luna was cracking casual jokes, tickling every single pony at my birthday party. This is the same Princess Luna who once watched with rapt attention as Twilight threw toy spiders at a nightmare night stall to explain to her the concept of 'fun'. I could see in my mind Princess Luna studying joke books late into the night, practicing smiling in front of a mirror for days on end. How long had she worked so hard to get to where she was now? How long had she waited for the opportunity to show off her hard work?

Probably a long, long while now, judging by the radiant smile on her face.

"Nopony’s run away yet? Good. That means you’re all stuck in here with my music. So you might as well join me in honouring our birthday-colt with tonight's opening dance." She declared, giving me a nod. She gently sat back on her haunches, holding the violin against her neck with one hoof, the bow in another, her one good wing poised to stroke the frets.

And then she sang.

And the world stood still.

"Once upon a time

We lived a fairytale

Fate in verse and rhyme

So certain of our

Happily Ever After

"You would cross the stars

Reach me from afar

Raise me full of wonder

Fill our sky with colour

"My Love Ever Free"

I suddenly remembered the bottle of glitter-snow entrusted to me. I uncapped the bottle and tossed the glitter high into the air. I took careful aim and blew a few gentle balls of flame up at the cloud of glitter. Several little comets trailing emerald sparkles soared out of their glow. They spiralled around the singing pegasus, sprinkling glittery snow in their wake, creating a miniature galaxy around her. Everypony held their breaths as her radiant glow embraced the entire room.

"The whole world I'd face

One hoof is all I need

For as long as one

Is ever held in your embrace

Even the sky I'd raise

"Love will see us through

As we light the stars

Together raise the moon

And make the night sky ours

Forever always to bloom

"Once upon a time

We lived a fairytale

Fate in verse and rhyme

So certain of our

Happily Ever After

My Love Ever Free

"Once upon a time

Fate in verse and rhyme

My Love Ever Free"

She played with a faint smile, her eyes closed as if in a blissful trance. She swayed to the enchantment of her own slow, hopeful melody. The dance floor remained empty. Nopony could dance. They could hardly move. They were enraptured by the soft, bittersweet magic of the song. The young would gape, their hearts filled with feelings they struggled to understand. The elderly would sigh, recalling some fond old memory.

I saw Button Mash slowly reach out for Sweetie Belle's hoof, subtly sidling closer to her. I saw Cherilee softly lean into Big Mac as the stallion rested his muzzle upon her mane. I saw Mr. Cake gently pull Mrs. Cake into a tight embrace. I saw Cranky Doodle stealthily kissing a blushing Matilda on her forehead. Nopony was spared from the embrace of her song.

I was totally not super conscious of how empty the space beside me was, or how far away Sona seemed.

She slowly opened her eyes as she sang the last verse. My heart skipped. She was looking at me. Every eye in the room followed her gaze to me. I forgot that it was all just make-believe. I was over the moon. I wanted the moment to last forever. I wanted her to never look away, to look at me and only me.

'Want. SPIKE WANT.'

I released a breath I didn't even realize I was holding as the last note faded on her lips. I suddenly realized I had a claw over my chest, struggling to keep it from erupting. I wasn't alone. The whole room was silent. Everypony stood stunned in everything from awe to rapture.

Somepony finally broke the silence with a hoofstomp. Then another. I suddenly realized it was me. More and more ponies joined in, clopping in applause. The ovation shook the floor and rattled the windows, threatening to raise the very roof. The mystery mare on the stage curtsied gracefully in humble gratitude, raising even more applause and cheers, even a few wolf-whistles and catcalls.

I felt a sudden urge to stomp on somepony's hooves really, really hard.

"By golly, ol' chap, your marefriend sure can carry a right tune." Fancy Pants leaned in close to whisper to me.

"My Celestia! Hay, Spike, does your marefriend have any sisters?" Thunderlane asked, not even bothering to put away his flared wings.

"My...marefriend?" I tasted the word. It felt...surprisingly good.

'Mine. MINE.'.

Sona finally gave the crowd a gentle smile. The hoofstomps of applause died away into respectful silence in response. "Oh, the dance floor is empty." Sona cocked her head to one side in a show of bewilderment, a quizzical wingtip on her chin. "You know, that reminds me of the last time I played for the Long Patrol. Except that time there was a hydra waiting right behind me." She said, earning herself another round of laughter. "I think it was deaf." She added, to more uproarious laughter. "And it wasn't my fault for once." The very hall shook with mirth. “So, I take it that song was too slow for you? Need something with a little more canter in it?" She smirked, raising her fiddle once more. "Alrighty then. But lemme tell you, this song got even that hydra moving. So try and keep up, okay?" She cast a mischievous grin around the room. She put bow to fiddle and took a slow, deep breath.

"There's a farm of great renown..."

She sang, eyes closed, her fiddle silent.

"...Where they brew a cider brown.

The Moon came rolling down the hill

on Summer Sun's Day to drink her fill."

She opened her eyes and tapped her forehooves on the stage, drumming up a steady rhythm as she drew a long, hearty note on the fiddle. And suddenly the very air erupted with a tune so powerful not a single hoof could remain still.

"With a thirsty fiddle did this mare

play a twiddle drunk and fair

ponies far and wide were seen

to dance a jig upon the green

"Brought by the fiddle

With their briddles in a twiddle

to the middle of the muddle

Did everypony dance the diddle

The Moon in a drunken fuddle

slipped in a puddle and

the whole world went a'reelin'!

"As the fiddle played a twiddle

did the sun sleep till Hearthswarmin' Eve!

"Hay!"

"Ponies neighed and chomped their bits

For the merry Moon had lost her wits!

Unicorns danced'n'pegasi flung their spells

And the earth ponies did fly and yell

"Play faster, Moon, Faster

Because we all want to dance like that!

"Hay!"

"With a thirsty fiddle did this mare

play a twiddle drunk and fair

ponies far and wide were seen

to dance a jig upon the green

"The Moon did play the fiddle wild

Gambol and canter, gallop and trotter

Spin all akimbo like a windmill sailing

Whirl and whorl and sing what ho!

'Cause the Moon's strings are singing

As the whole wild world goes flailing!

"As the fiddle played a twiddle

did the sun sleep till Hearthswarmin' Eve!

"Hay!"

She danced. Boy, did she dance. Sure, she danced just like Twilight, if you were generous enough to call that dancing. If it weren't for the music's distraction somepony would've surely called the paramedics in. I'm pretty sure limbs shouldn't be jerking and spasming like that. Was dancing like a slinky in a washing machine something burned into alicorn genes or something?

Still, she somehow managed to keep the beat with her hooves, all while carrying the rapidfire tune on her violin. If anypony noticed her pseudo-seizure on the stage, nopony showed it. Everypony was far too busy stomping and jumping on the dance floor. It might be pure country fare but everypony from the oldest townspony to the most reserved noble couldn't resist moving their hooves to the beat.

"Wheeeeee!" Pinkie had leapt to the occasion, literally, swinging off the disco ball above. Unicorn horns lit up in the excitement, casting lights of every hue across the walls as the party truly came alive.

"Your marefriend's aaaaaaaaaaaawesome!" Rainbow cheered as she and the other pegasi took to the air, pairing up to dance midair jigs.

"Stop your marefrieeeend, she's gonna put me out of a job!" Lyra Heartstrings wailed as she led an army of ponies on a wild rendition of the Ponyville river dance.

"My marefriend." I repeated under my breath. I felt the words touch a chord somewhere inside me. 'Mine. WANT.'.

"Play faster, Moon, Faster, Because we all want to dance like that!"

Sona sang at the top of her voice, her wing and bow a wicked blur on the tortured violin. I could practically see the smoke rising up out of the creaking wood. The wide smile on her face spoke to me; She was truly enjoying herself as I'd never seen her done before. It was as if she had cast aside all inhibitions and reservations she had as....as a Princess.

Realization struck me. This was no act. There was no way her seizure-like dancing could be part of an act. This was Luna when you strip her of all the trappings and adornments of a princess.

This was Luna, not the princess but the mare.

And she was beautiful. Breathtakingly beautiful. Want. Want! SPIKE WANT!.

"As the fiddle played a twiddle

did the sun sleep till Hearthswarmin' Eve!"

She whooped.

"Hay!"

The ponies cheered along to the song. Hats, jackets, hors d'ouvres and one random Scootaloo were tossed high into the air.

"With a thirsty fiddle did this mare

play a twiddle drunk and fair!

Ponies far and wide were seen

to dance a jig upon the green!"

Sona did it. It turned out I wasn't imagining the smoke. The violin actually burst into flame. But nopony paid it any mind, not even the fiddler herself. She just carried on playing the flaming fiddle, even as she jumped and jigged off the edge of stage to fall straight into the jiving crowd. The dancing ponies caught her in their outstretched forehooves and half-carried her, half-tossed her towards me. A flustered Octavia and an excited Fiddly Faddle took the stage in her place, picking up her tune seamlessly.

Big Mac and Bulk Biceps were the last to catch Sona before tossing her straight at me. She twirled gracefully in midair, tossing her flaming violin aside like a wedding bouquet. Ponies in one corner of the room actually leapt over one another to catch the active fire hazard. Somehow it was Ditzy who caught it to the excited cheers of the crowd. Nopony even bothered to pause and consider the fact that Ditzy Doo was holding an open flame. Nopony cared. There was too much dancing to do!

I froze as Sona's shadow grew large enough to engulf me. Everypony around me stepped back, leaving me dead in the centre of Sona's landing zone. They were all cheering me on. That was when I suddenly realized I was expected to actually catch sixty pounds of rambunctious pegasus out of the air. I absentmindedly wondered if they'd still cheer a Spike-shaped smear on the dance floor. But the expectant grin on Sona's face as she sailed towards me put all doubts out of my mind.

SPIKE WANT! MIIIIIIINE!.

I'd catch her. By golly I'd catch her or die trying. Never mind that I'd probably be flattened either way. I reached up into the air to catch her. She reached out towards me. We met halfway. I gazed deep into her bright emerald eyes as she curled her forehooves around me. She smiled fondly at me as I wrapped her in my embrace.

WANT! WA-....

Something new arose within me, drowning out the strange frantic feelings that had bugged me all evening. It was an odd, calm certainty. It was a deep, unwavering happiness. She was happy, incredibly happy. I could tell it was the happiest she had ever been. Her eyes revealed everything and hid nothing. And I was part of it. By Celestia, I was part of her incredible happiness! And it was all I could ever want; For her to be happy, happier, always and forever happy. I felt complete, whole, and I could never want for anything more.

I felt my grip on her grow firm. My chest and shoulders broadened to better support her elfin figure. My feet struck the ground, anchoring me to the earth, to better keep her safe. My embrace grew to catch all of her in my arms. My very muscles stretched to better protect her in my hold.

It was an easy feat to swing her out of her flight and into a tight spin across the dance floor. Together we spun, she around me, I around her, like Equestria and the Moon.

Fireworks suddenly whizzed up into the air all around us, erupting into brilliant blooms of multi-coloured light. I was wondering where I left that Hooves-Labs package. Huh, so that's what it contained; those funky flameless fireworks from that one wedding.

"Wow, Sparks! You grew!" Sona gasped, wide-eyed, as we spun round and round each other.

"Heh, yeah. I don't know what it is, but it feels awesome!" I grinned back at her, too caught up in the moment to care.

"You look real cool, Sparks." Sona whispered in a voice only I could hear, "Really cool."

I soared. I felt my heart rise up and up. The world couldn’t hold me down. Because she was carrying me up with her.

If the audience had noticed anything at all about my body, they didn't show it. The crowd had cleared a wide circle, stomping and cheering for us. Something had erupted into flames somewhere. Somepony was shouting something about a flaming violin. There was a frantic raincloud-line forming in the air. There were more explosions as somepony decided to try and douse the fire with hard apple cider. But we didn't care. At that very moment there was just her smile of pure joy. My world was just this mare in my arms. Her happiness was everything.

She landed on the dance floor in a wild canter as we carried on skipping and jiving around one another. It struck me that neither of us could dance. By ourselves we were just flailing and hopping like windmills in a firestorm. But together we were mirroring each other, complimenting each other's crazed thrashing, creating something that was actually worthy of the circle's cheers.

"Go Squiiiiirt!" Rainbow yipped.

"Show'em, sugarcube!" Applejack whooped.

"YEAAAAH!" Even Bulk Biceps had to contribute.

"Sonata!" The crowd cheered.

"Spike!" The crowd roared.

"Fiiiiiiire!" Ditzy squeaked.

"Sonata!"

"Spike!"

"Sonata!"

"Spike!"

The night melted away into a haze of pure awesome. Some bits of it probably burned too.

And she was happy. And I was happy that she was happy. And I could never want for anything more.

"Spike, my good fellow, happy birthday! Time sure does fly, does it not?" A smooth and plummy gray stallion I barely recognized was the next one to pull me into yet another chummy chat. What was his name again? Cheese grate? Bed Sit? Jet Setter? Yeah, that’s probably it.

"Sure does, Mr. Jet Setter. Thanks." I gave him a friendly nod. A pretty big throng of ponies, both nobles and townsponies alike, had gathered towards the head-end of the hall. And at its centre was the star of the show. Yep, that's right, it was the one and only Spike.

"It's 'Jet Set', actually." He said, before quickly adding, "But you can call me 'Jet Setter' if you like. I like that. In fact I like it lots!" He declared with a loud guffaw, "Now, Spike, my good fellow, I must admit I never looked at Ponyville properly before. Or tasted its cider." He dropped his voice into a conspiring tone, "And I say, coming down here for your birthday has opened up my eyes. Or basted my tongue, of course."

"Of course," I agreed with whatever he was saying. I didn't really get it but it sounded important, whatever it was.

"With the council in power and Lady Sonata beside you, confidence in Ponyville investments will soar! And I want first bite of the pie, so to speak!" He pulled me close to him, waving a forehoof into the middle distance at all the invisible investment pies in the air. "Now, do you think you can cajole her Excellency, Ms. Applejack, into accepting an investment of one hundred thousand bits to expand her cider production so we might have enough to export across Equestria and beyond? Hmm?"

"Well..." I scratched my chin thoughtfully, more to force my lips from smiling madly than anything, "I'm going to have to speak to my assistants and get back to you, but...." Before I could finish I was already being pulled aside by another pony jockeying for my precious attention.

"Spike, dearest." It was another noble, a golden-custard mare with a curled peach mane. With how close she was leaning into me, batting her eyelashes at me, I barely recognized her as Baroness Swan Song. "Why have you waited oh so long to invite me to one of your parties? See, the girls and I were starting to think you're much too exclusive for us." She pouted at me playfully. She peered around before dropping her voice to a secretive whisper, "See, you know how Yakyakistan are really close with the Council now? The yaks would only trade with Ponyville and you know how they produce the most heavenly Yak wool. See, Equestria, neigh, the whole world needs high fashion produced with that wool, and the girls and I want in. We're hoping you and Lady Sonata might..." She didn’t get to finish as yet another pony squeezed into the fray.

"Spike, Ol' Chap, a word if you please!" Fancy Pants slapped me companionably on the back, prying me loose from Swan Song’s hold.

"Spike, buddy, have I got a sweet pot to share with you and your lady!" A dark gray stallion I recognized as Davenport, owner of Ponyville Sofas and Quills, cut off my retreat.

"Mr. Spike, sir, I'm Silver Quill of Canterlot Times. Can I please have a statement on..." A pony waving a camera and flashbulb called over the crowd.

"Sir Spike, I represent Stable-Tec incorporated, and..." A shady mare spoke up.

"Spiiiike! The horse-of-offers buffet table is on fiiiire!" Ditzy squeaked over the din, pointing a hoof at the hors d'oeuvres table that was, in fact, still on fire.

"Sir Spike!"

"Spike, buddy!"

"Mr. Spike, sir!"

"Spike, my friend...."

Everypony's callin' for the Spike. Everypony wants a piece of the dragon. But there was more than enough of me to go around. Because I'm big like that. Ponies wanted to talk to me. Ponies listened to me. And this time it's not just because I’m trying to sing the Cloudsdale national anthem. It’s not just because they thought I was speaking on Princess Twilight Sparkle's behalf. Nope. I'm done with playing second fiddle. I'm my own dragon now, the dragon on everypony's lips.

And it's all because...

Because...

I slowly looked around me.

There was a massive herd of ponies around me. There was no shortage of ponies fighting to be next to me. But that space next to me felt emptier than ever.

Because she wasn't next to me.

A sudden violent emptiness took hold of me. It wasn't a loss, no. It was worse. It was a deep, dark pit of dread that suddenly opened up in my stomach.

Where was she? What if she's hungry again? What if she got lost? What if she hurt her other wing? What if she caught fire? Because, y'know, that buffet stable is still sorta on fire.

"Excuse me." I said, pushing my way out of the throng. "Please, gimme some room." I got a little rough as I shoved and elbowed a path through the pony pile. "Everypony, I can feel Discord preparing to send me his present by dragonfire. I'd rather not burp whatever joke he sends all over you." I finally resorted to underhoofed tactics. It was even more effective than Shining and Cadence’s snog-shield. A very wide circle clear of ponies very quickly formed around me. "Thanks."

I quickly left the bewildered circle of ponies behind as I searched around frantically, hunting for any hints of dark blue and pale moonsilver. As I searched, I slowly came to a very obvious conclusion; I'm a moron. There is only one pony I wanted next to me. No amount of other ponies could ever replace her. How could I have let all these other ponies distract me from her?

I prowled the hall, feverishly searching for that sweet grin, that adorable blush. I wanted them back. I didn’t want her to just disappear on me now that the show was over. I didn’t want her bright smiles and silvery laughter to just end tonight. I wanted them to last tomorrow. And the day after. Every single day for as long as I could help it. Because she deserves it. Heavens knows she deserves it. I have no idea why I felt that way, why it felt like something between grim desperation and titillating happiness. And I didn’t care. I just wanted to see her.

There I stood at the end of the grand hall. A large glass double door stood open, revealing a spacious balcony overlooking Ponyville. And there I found her.

Her petite frame looked so small against the wide, darkening sky. She was sat on her haunches, peering intently at the horizon. There, cresting out above the gathering black clouds, was the moon, casting its silver glow across her radiant face. She looked so calm, so serene, as she basked in the gentle moonlight.

Gosh, she’s so adorable when she’s raising the moon….

Oh, right, she had to go raise the moon. Because she's the Princess. Of the Night. And stuff. Right. Yeah, nothing to worry about here. I could just go back to….uh...keeping an eye on her. Yep, that’s what I’d do. I peered out at her from the door. You know, just in case. I mean, that dark thunderstorm blowing over from the Everfree Forest looked pretty nasty. And she was so small. What if one gust of wind was all it took to blow her away? She'd get lost and muddy again, and I’d have to go find her and bring her home and wash her clean and….

"Spike." The sudden voice triggered something I call the ‘cookie-jar reflex’, conditioned by many years of being caught by that voice with my claw stuck in a cookie jar.

"Uh, I wasn't doing anything! Honest!" I whirled around. "T-Twilight!" I gasped, almost stumbling backwards from the force of her glare.

"We need to talk, buster." The Princess of Friendship growled as she slowly loomed over me. "But first, are you alright?" Her dark scowl slowly gave way to a worried frown. "Do you remember who I am?" Her voice suddenly shook, a hint of a whimper creeping into it.

The question chilled me to the core. What could she possibly mean? How could I ever forget her? That was impossible! Never! Not in forever and ever!

"O-of course I do!" I gasped, "I'd never ever forget you, Twilight. You're my BSBFF!" I cried. I had never been more frightened by a mere question in my entire life.

Twilight took a deep breath, looking immensely relieved. "And just to be sure, how do I like my quesadillas?" She asked, pointedly.

"Twilight, quesadillas scare the purple out of you." I said, flatly.

"Phew. Looks like the greed hasn't eaten your brain again." My unicorn sister breathed a sigh of relief.

"What? My brain? Greed?" I blinked, struggling to make sense of her words, "What do you mean?" I mean, I don’t remember much of what happened that time my greed made me grow fifty sizes over a slice of birthday cake, but I’m pretty certain no brains were eaten, much less my own.

"Never mind." Twilight sighed, shaking a hoof dismissively. "What's more important is, you grew bigger. Again. Did you accept gifts from somepony?" She demanded, her tone dead serious.

"You know I don't take birthday presents anymore, Twilight. The only ones I received today were yours." I muttered, crossing my claws across my chest. I can't believe she didn't trust me. I'm a grown dragon. I'm totally responsible. Most of the time.

"Wait, you mean it's my fault you grew bigger this time?" Twilight gasped, clutching her head with her forehooves.

"Twi, we don't know that for sure. I mean, even I don't know what the hay's going on, and last I checked it is kinda my body." I raised both claws calmingly. Their effects were lost on Twilight.

"No, no, no! We've been so careful! This can't happen now!" She squeaked, her mane twanging out at odd angles, "I mean, my glamour spell is keeping everypony from noticing it, but it'll only hold out for as long as you don't grow any bigger! If we don't figure out the trigger in time, you might grow even bigger and shatter my spell! And there'd be panic on the streets and....."

"Oh." Realization struck me, "So that's why nopony has noticed me go supersize." Sudden relief washed over me. I narrowly dodged an ursa there. After the whole giant-dragon-rampage thing, it took Twilight and I months to convince the ponies of Ponyville that I wasn't a danger to anypony. I was already on my second chance. I doubt I'd get a third if anypony thought I was about to go all fifty flavours of Tirek on the town again.

"If the nobles see you they're so going to freak!" Twilight went on in panic.

Wait a sec. So this is all about the nobles. Again. "Twi..." I growled, temper slowly rising.

"Sparks? Is something wrong?" I heard Sona ask. Twilight and I turned to find Sona beside us, closing the double doors behind her. Outside the storm darkened, threatening a few flashes of lightning.

"Is something wrong?" Twilight suddenly scoffed, "You tell us, Princess Luna." She rounded on Sona, her eyes blazing with distrust.

Oh horseapples. How did she figure it out? I mean, we even fooled Shining Armour.

Ah.

Right, my dragonfire only sends stuff to and from royals. It wasn't that big a leap of logic from there, especially for the likes of Twilight 'Purplesmart' Sparkle.

"Well spotted, Twilight Sparkle." Princess Luna didn't even bother denying anything, her face perfectly neutral. "I knew you would see through our deception when you saw the dragonfire spell work on me."

Princess Luna seemed to have considered the possibility at least. Did she mean to let Twilight find out? Why?

"After going through all that trouble to trick me and Shining Armour, why did you give it away so easily?" Twilight voiced my question for me.

"As the head of ceremony, you were the only one who could stop me. I had to maintain my deception long enough for me to reach the stage." Princess Luna explained, calmly. "Once there, our objective was sealed. Your knowledge of our ruse no longer mattered."

"And what was this 'objective'?" Twilight demanded.

"To give Spike his birthday back." Princess Luna said, simply. "And to stop those who might steal it for their own ends." She gave her a cool look.

"Oh. That." Twilight faltered, realizing exactly what she meant. Her ears drooped flat against her mane, her lips muttering something under her breath. It sounded a lot like 'Blueblood'.

"But..." Twilight's scowl returned with a vengeance, her ears perking up once more as she glared up at Princess Luna, "You lied to me! I trusted you with Spike, and you lied!" She cried at the princess.

"Twilight Sparkle." Princess Luna said, calmly.

"You can't sneak about and secretly meddle in my kingdom while dragging my little brother around after you, Princess! You have no right!" Twilight's voice grew shrill, her hysterics spiralling out of control. From the looks of it, this was at least a 'Smarty Pants' on the Twifreak scale.

"Twilight Sparkle." Princess Luna repeated, more firmly.

"Let me guess, you wanted to use your 'Sonata' disguise to charm the nobles. That's it, isn't it?!" The mad gleam in her eye, the wild frazzles in her mane, everything was going out of control.

This crazed obsession of hers had gone too far. "Twi!" I finally lost my own temper, "Why is it always about the nobles?!"

"Because I'm the Princess of Friendship. It's my duty to....!" Twi rounded on me angrily, that mad perfectionist gleam burning furiously in her magenta eyes.

Her eyes slowly widened. The fire in her eyes died away to nothing. She gave a quiet gasp, a wing flying up to her mouth in shock. "S-Spike, I-..."

I glared back at her through my tears. "Twi. Does...does nothing else matter to you anymore?" My voice slowly dropped away into a whisper. "Do I not matter to you anymore?"

"Spike, please, I didn't mean..." Twilight whispered shakily, reaching a trembling forehoof towards me.

She never got to explain what she meant. One commotion wasn't enough, another just had to interrupt us.

"You ruined it! You ruined my happily ever after!" A drawn-out wail drew ever closer. "And I actually thought you were my friends!"

"Now, that's unfair of ya, Rares." Applejack's hat bobbed into view, flanking what looked like a flock of tissues floating in a light blue magical aura. "Ah have nuthin' against ya and his highnessness tyin' as many knots as ya darn well like. But Spike's birthday party ain't the place to do it." Applejack pushed her hat up to reveal a firm glare aimed at the magical flock of tissues. Fortunately the tissues were too sodden to catch fire under the ferocity of Applejack's glare.

"Hay, it was a totally lame move. And you know it." Rainbow Dash flapped backwards through the air above Applejack. "We saved you and Bluebutt from being totally un-cool in front of everypony. Your. Welcome."

"But he was going to prooo-poo-ose to meee-eee-ee-e!" The flock of tissues parted to reveal a wailing Rarity. "H-he even had a r-ring for me." She whimpered, her lips quivering pitifully. "Wh-what if I never get t-to see it?" She sniffled, softly, before bursting into another bawl. "It's all your fault!" She cried, suddenly noticing Sona. “You dare stay around after ruining my life?! Oooooh, it. Is. ON!” She declared, striding up towards the dark blue pegasus in a grand display of towering fury.

"Your Excellency." Sona gave Rarity a curt nod. "With all due respect, if he truly cares for you, it wouldn't matter to him where he proposes to you."

"Don't you dare! Don't. You. Dare!" Rarity shrieked, hysterically. "Dear, sweet Blueblood knows that proposing to a lady is a grand affair! Everything has to be just right! The place, the timing...!"

"That's just it, Rares. It wasn't the place nor the time. This is somepony else's birthday party. It's Spike's birthday party for goodness sake!" Applejack argued.

"Ohohoho, don't think I don't know exactly what you're up to, Applejack darling.” Rarity rounded on Applejack like a vengeful tornado. “You of all ponies would simply love to see Blueblood and I separated. Don't deny it!" The furious unicorn lashed out accusingly.

"Wha-...Ah'd never!" Applejack gasped, looking all sorts of hurt.

"And don't bring poor Spikey-Wikey into this! The poor dear doesn't deserve to..." Her eyes landed on me. Those big, teary sapphire orbs slowly softened as she gazed at me. "Oh, Spike, you poor thing. No, please, darling, don't mind these silly fillies. We’re so sorry we’re ruining your party with all this drama." She struggled to grimace through her tears. Her eyes hardened as they wandered back up to Sona.

Sona was already beating a hasty retreat. She probably knew as well as we all did that there would be no reasoning with a hysterical Rarity who seemed eager to lash out at anything and everything.

"You!" Rarity shrieked after her.

Sona paused mid-step. She gave a little sigh as she turned to peer over her withers, allowing Rarity a sideways look. "Yes, your Excellency?" She replied, stiffly.

"Don't you trot away from me." Rarity growled, "I don't know what you're planning, using poor Spikey-Wikey to gatecrash this party and hussying it up to charm everypony. But if you think for a moment that you can toy around with darling little Spike..."

"'Use'? 'Toy'?" Sona suddenly scoffed, slowly turning around to face Rarity, her eyes smouldering like dying stars. "Pardon me for saying so, but that is a little too rich for a simple little pony like me."

Rarity faltered for but a moment as the petite pegasus bore down on her. But she quickly rallied, straightening up to her full impressive height. She marched on Sona, slowly backing the dark blue pegasus into the table bearing the towering birthday cake. "Do not play coy with me. Any simpleton can see it! There is nothing anypony, let alone a rich, snobby banker's girl, could possibly want in Spi-..." She gave a gasp, throwing a forehoof over her mouth as she realized what she had just said. But it was too late.

Nothing.

There is nothing anypony could possibly want in me.

I...

Something soft gently wrapped itself around me. I was almost too numb to feel the dark blue wing pull me in against something warm and comforting. I stiffly looked around to see Sona holding me against her side protectively, her body turned as if to shield me from Rarity. The look she gave Rarity was as cold as the void itself. Rarity seemed to shrink back, almost cowed, though more by the guilt burning on her own face than Sona’s frigid glare.

"'Nothing'?" Sona intoned levelly, raising herself up to her full majestic height. "If what one wants is all that mattered in a relationship, then isn't it perfect that 'nothing' is exactly what I want?" She glared at Rarity. “You’re right, Ms. Rarity. I have money, luxury, power, everything. I have never wanted for anything. I didn’t even know there was anything I wanted in my life. Not until I met Sparks. He found me when I was lost, fed me when I was hungry, washed me when I was all mucky and ugly, hugged me when nopony else dared. He’s shown me everything I never knew I wanted. And I’d spend the rest of my life finding out what else he can show me.” Her voice shook, her breath short, her temper even shorter. "I am glad. I am glad you're with Blueblood. You deserve each other. Because surely when it comes to 'wants', you will never find each other lacking."

"You will not speak of him that way!" Rarity suddenly shrieked, rising up once more.

*SLAP*

The party went silent.

Rarity stumbled backwards. Her eyes were wide with shock, her ears flat against her mane, her horn still sparking violently.

Sona staggered back, reeling, before crashing into the table bearing the cake. Her eyes were wide with shock, bright blue magic still blazing across her reddening cheeks. The towering Pinkie-brand monstrosity above her wobbled dangerously, its many enchanted candles swaying threateningly in the air.

“Rares, watch out!” Applejack was quick to pull the stunned Rarity out of the way of the cake’s looming shadow.

“Sona!” I shouted, dashing for the pegasus curled up at the foot of the teetering table. As I bore down on her I knew it was already too late. The monster of a cake was already sliding down towards us. It was a massive eighteen layer cloud-cake, one layer for each year I’ve lived, or so Pinkie had told me. And its full weight was bearing down on the petite pegasus below it like a thundercloud, frosted cream and flaming candles and all.

Sona looked between me and the incoming catastrophe. She gritted her teeth, kicking out against the floor to launch herself straight at me. She crashed bodily into me, sending us tumbling and rolling across the floor together. She suddenly pushed me down, pinning me flat to the ground. I lay flat on my back, staring numbly up at her face and the wing she held like a shield above us.

And then it came, hurtling around us like an avalanche. Sona held me tight, even as her tiny frame was battered like a boat in a thundering storm. And yet the wing she held above us stood fast against the onslaught. That was when an acrid black stench struck my nose. I had only smelled it once before, that one time I accidentally breathed fire on a goose-down pillow.

It was the smell of burning feathers.

Sona held fast, barely wincing, even as her big teal eyes slowly but surely filled with tears of pain. And before I could do anything else, it was over as quickly as it began. I could only stare, stupidly, as the last of the cream and filling settled on the floor.

That was when my slow, idiotic brain caught up. That wing she was shielding me with; It was her injured wing.

“Sona!” I gasped. I reached up to hold her against my chest, leaning her into my shoulder as I looked over her withers at the wing. I was quite certain wings shouldn’t be bent in that angle. Neither should it be covered in smoking scorch marks and candle wax. “Somepony! Somepony get me the first aid kit!” I bellowed. I felt the very ground and windows tremble with my draconic roar. The ponies around us flinched, recoiling in fear. I didn’t care. I was angry. I was angry at the cake. I was angry at the table. I was angry at this whole party. I was angry at...at….

“I-I’m so sorry, dear.” A voice spoke up. It filled me with dark, icy rage. “I didn’t mean to. I don't know what came over me. I got caught up in my horrid feelings. Here, let me help you with that wing.” She dared approach. She dared come close to my poor little Sona.

GO. AWAY.” I roared, fire and smoke leaping from my tongue in my fury.

“S-Spikey-Wikey, I-I didn’t mean it.” She gasped, looking as if I had slapped her. “I only want to help.” She pleaded.

NOT. ONE. STEP. CLOSER!” I pulled Sona closer against me as I glared at her. “OR SO HELP ME….

She gave a pitiful squeak, forehooves clasped over her mouth in shock at my furious outburst. Her body weakly slumped to the ground. She probably broke into a fresh flood of tears. I didn't care. At least she shut her muzzle for once.

.....When had I grown so mean? That was Rarity. She's my friend. I....

“I’m sorry.” I heard the pegasus in my arms whisper softly.

“Sona! Tell me, what can I do?” I gasped, turning back to her, all thoughts of Rarity banished from my mind.

“I-I’m sorry, Sparks.” She whimpered, softly.

“Wh-what? What’re you talking about?!” I demanded.

“I’m sorry. I ended up embarrassing you in the end.” She murmured, her voice shaking with pain.

I looked up. All the eyes in the room were on us. The circle of ponies recoiled as I glared angrily back at them. I roughly tugged a tablecloth off a nearby buffet table, upending all its contents onto the floor. Fine cuisine and expensive china crashed onto the floor, causing a few ponies to yelp in fright. I gave them no mind as I pulled the tablecloth protectively around the trembling pegasus in my arms, shielding her from everypony’s eyes.

She gave a soft whimper of gratitude, pulling the tablecloth tightly around her. “I’m so sorry.” She whispered one last time. "It won't happen again." She suddenly staggered onto her hooves, pushing me aside as she made a wobbly dash for the entrance. Ponies parted to make way, nopony seemingly sure of what else to do.

She was gone before I could even call out to her.

I gave a low grunt as I staggered onto my own two feet. Bits of cake and cream splattered to the floor in my wake. A boom of thunder shook the windows as I strode out after her.

I didn’t think anything in the universe could stop me walking out to find her. But a single voice somehow managed to halt me halfway down the hall. “Spike!” Twilight call after me. I slowly looked around at her. She stood there, her look almost pleading. There was an intense fear in her eyes. I’ve seen that look before. It was the same look she gave me the day I set off on the dragon migration.

She was afraid I would leave her and never return.

Behind her Rarity lay sobbing on the floor. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.” She wailed, over and over. Applejack sat by her side, holding her comfortingly. Blueblood was nowhere to be seen. Flutters, Pinkie and Rainbow stood by, watching me, all looking completely torn.

Walking out on them would be something I could never take back. Even if I could somehow come back and reconcile with them later, the fact would remain that I chose somepony else over them that night. What will that spell for our friendship? For the very Council built upon that friendship?

But if I didn’t go, I would hate myself for the rest of my life. And that is a very, very long time.

But none of that mattered. Only she did.

I made my choice.

Author's Note:

Before anyone asks, let me tell you this. Rarity is my best guiding pony.
Rarity is an inspiration to me. Her lessons of generosity is what helps me do what I do in life. Without her and her inspiration manifestation, my job would be unbearable. So before you ask, no, I don't hate Rarity. I idolize her.

Doesn't stop me portraying her as a quasi-antagonist in a fanfic though....

Now that that's out of the way.......

So, I hope you all enjoyed that as much as I enjoyed writing it. That was probably the most dramatically intense scene I had ever written. I have no idea how it came out, so I 'd greatly appreciate your opinion and feedback.

If you're all wondering about Luna's motivations and feelings, I'm about to release a mini-interlude diving into the very heart of the question. And that of a certain mare.

The first song is sung to the tune of 'Beauty and the Beast', original lyrics by Howard Ashman, composed by Alan Menken.

The second song was very much derived from 'The Cat And the Moon' by Matthew Warchus and Shaun McKenna. However there isn't an instrumental-only version of the song, so I had to settle for having it sung to the tune of 'Toss the Feather' by The Corrs. Turns out it works just as well.

Oh, this whole chapter was written to the tune of this song posted by Amethyst Blade. On repeat. Just thought I'd mention that.