• Published 19th Aug 2016
  • 6,602 Views, 315 Comments

The Undesirables - DEI Caboose



Princess Luna assembles a team of Equestria's most undesirable inhabitants in order to deal with the problems too dangerous to risk the lives of the Elements of Harmony.

  • ...
7
 315
 6,602

13. Discourse


Celestia stood before the ornate black table with an angry but knowing frown adorning her features. Her sister was looking to her warily, having noticed Celestia's evident and clearly displayed trepidation. Celestia was almost in shock at the fact that yet another banished enemy from her past had risen up to plague her once more, in its rampage having attacked and even killed her subjects, and heinously striking at the heart of her family also, something Celestia refused to forgive lightly.

“They are called the Amarok,” Celestia stated factually to Luna and Cadance, the only other Alicorns present. Princess Twilight had refused to attend this meeting Celestia had called for when she was asked, choosing instead to tend to her injured brother and needy niece, willing to provide Cadance with a much desired break.

The youngest Alicorn simply looked up with a raised brow. “Who’s called the what?” Cadance asked bewildered.

Had the circumstances been different, Celestia would have grown somewhat annoyed by Cadance’s obvious lack of attentiveness. Given the circumstances however, Celestia was willing to give Cadance the benefit of the doubt, conscious of her tired and distracted disposition. She had after all been effectively alone with an upset baby, maimed husband and an Empire to rule for several hours now. The least Celestia could do was be patient with her.

“The wolves, Cadance,” Celestia soothingly but firmly began again. “They identify themselves as the Amarok. Vicious and feral wolves originating from beyond Mount Everhoof and the Frozen Wastes of the distant north. I have encountered their kind before.”

Celestia’s horn emitted a golden glow and the black table they all stood before became covered in a translucent layer of projected frozen snow and icy hills. Various small canine forms then began to appear, their coats ranging from white to grey to pitch black. They were all noticeably standing by themselves, but occasionally one would launch themselves at another projection in a feral rage, fighting for dominance over the other. The images and setting shifted about and formed entirely new creations to mirror Celestia words as she spoke her story aloud.

“Long ago, close to seven hundred years after Nightmare Moon’s banishment, the Amarok were said to have been simple minded creatures that resided in the north, far beyond the then vanished grounds of The Crystal Empire. They often fought amongst themselves for food and dominance, unable to work as a collective and devoid of all harmony. They were singular beasts in every sense of the word. Their unwillingness to assist each other and cooperate for the greater good of their kind would have resulted in the end of their race had nothing changed.

“But then something did change.

“One day, when the Amarok were out fighting amongst themselves over a particularly large fish that had emerged out of an icy lake, a figure descended out of the mountains; a creature said to be neither wolf nor pony nor anything any Amarok had ever seen before. This creature possessed a unique intelligence and displayed a superiority over the Amarok almost immediately to the point they are said to have just laid down and whimpered before him as he approached. One wolf did not cower however. The strongest Amarok in all the land who none whom had ever dared to challenge had ever lived to tell the tale. This new creature fought him immediately, and struck him down almost as quickly.

“He then crowned himself King, and revealed his name as Qiqirn.

“King Qiqirn rallied the Amarok to his side. He taught them strategy, teamwork, how to work together as one in the same. Within months the Amarok became an effective fighting force, conquering the land and unwavering in their resolve. Qiqirn accomplished this through his vast intellect, but his efforts proved too perfect for me to believe it was entirely of his own doing, leading me to suspect he was employing some form of magic, a magic unlike anything I had ever seen before which allowed him to sway the wolves to his every whim.

“But he himself was an effective leader, make no mistake, and with his new army by his side he began to spread stories, stories of a distant ‘Land of Promise’ with rivers that ran with gold, blossoming with an abundance of never ending food and lush blue skies where not a single flake of snow or ice would ever dare to tarnish its beauty.

“His claims drove the Amarok to invade Equestria; his Land of Promise.

“They descended over the Crystal Mountains in hoards into the villages on the borderlands of the Frozen North, in awe of the grass, the heat and of these little ponies that made easy prey. Word reached Canterlot swiftly and I set off to meet the Amarok head on, driving back Qiqirn’s initial forces from the villages they had plundered. We were able to capture one of the many wolves before he could escape, which is how we came to learn of their history and of Qiqirn’s emergence in the first place.

“I learned that if I was able to show that Qiqirn was not all powerful, his followers would lose faith and flee as the cowards they supposedly once were. When I met the Amarok on the field of battle however, Qiqirn hid behind droves of his soldiers, never once surfacing despite how much I neared. I never once got a good look at him the entire time he was in Equestria. I remember it all quite clearly. I called out his name in a rage at what he had done, and with that he turned tail and ran with his pack ever following behind him. I pursued them for days after that; over the mountains, never once allowing them a moment to rest. I refused to give up until they were driven back into the wastes from which they'd came.

“In doing so I ensured that they would never dare trifle with pony kind again, or so I had thought.”

Celestia paused her reminiscences, turning her attention to the two others with her at the table, both infatuated by Celestia’s story. The magical manifestation on the table had displayed Celestia’s entire tale as she spoke, culminating in a miniature projection of a younger Celestia returning from a land of ice and snow, battered and bloodied from horn to hooves, covered in grime and wearing a hollow look of resignation.

The scene vanished in an instant with another flick of Celestia’s horn, returning the table to its dreary original form as Celestia shifted her attention to that day's events and the details of the wolves attack on The Crystal Empire and her royal guards. “It appears the Amarok have resurfaced after many generations. Perhaps the reemergence of the Empire and it's close proximity to their territory is what prompted this attack, or maybe it is simply a splinter pack inspired by folktales of The Land of Promise. Either way, we must act before the wolves attempt this again, which I fear is only a matter of time.”

The trio grew quiet, each looking towards the table with reflective gazes, pondering their own individual possibilities of response.

Cadance was the first to speak. “Should we mobilise the guard? Prepare for an attack? Or should we chase them into the forest?” she stated with uncertainty, her tone shaky as she imagined these creatures marching on her Empire, diverging on her subjects.

“I do not think that would be wise,” Luna said patently. “The guard have already lost two of their own and their Captain is currently bedridden. Sending them out after these beasts so soon will surely result in an outcry.”

“I agree,” stated Celestia towards Cadance, though she did don a small smile before she spoke again. “Though I also agree that we reinforce the Empire’s defences, if only for moral support. But I'm afraid guards alone may not be enough. From my experience, the Amarok are susceptible to only two things; raw strength and high levels of magic, and while we ponies may not be renowned for our strength, magic on the other hoof is something we have in high supply.”

The other Alicorns nodded, though Celestia took note that Luna’s was far more hesitant. Luna was already aware of what Celestia was bound to say. At this point, after so many similar incidents having occurred before, the answer was obvious.

“Luna, Cadance, I would suggest that we prepare Twilight and the Elements of-”

“Oh blah blah bleh! Honestly, Celestia, don't you ever get tired of the same old routine? Elements this, Twily save my hiney that!”

Celestia could hardly suppress her groan, resigning to simply close her eyes and count to three as the slender body of a draconequus wrapped around her form, his head practically inches from her scrunched up muzzle.

“Hello, Celestia.”

“Hello, Discord.”

As if acknowledging her evident disapproval of his close proximity, Discord chose to slither off of Celestia and appeared at the opposite side of the table between Cadance and Luna, who shuffled away at his sudden presence. His smile quickly turned anguished, hurt shining in his teary eyes, though it was obviously intended to mock. “Really, Celestia? Inviting everypony but me to your little get together here? You wound me.”

Given their current state of affairs, Celestia didn't have the time nor the temperament to deal with one of Discord’s games. “Since you were obviously listening, Discord, you realise that this get together is a serious matter, one which you have no place at!”

Discord snidely snorted, uncaring of Celestia’s tone. “Oh come now, Celestia. Mythical wolves from beyond the veil invading Equestria to fulfil their dastardly deeds, and you didn't call me for help? I'm more insulted than anything, after all, what are friends for, friend,” he finished with a surprisingly stern tone.

Despite Discord’s assertions, he and Celestia had come to an understanding some time ago after Tirek’s attack and Discord’s final betrayal, one which Celestia intended to enforce now. “We are both aware that your magic, while powerful, is nothing compared to The Elements of Harmony. So while your offer is appreciated, Discord, I'd rather use the method guaranteed to succeed.”

“I most certainly agree!” Disord erupted with a now joyful exterior. Although he appeared to physically deflate as he returned himself to the ground. “Although, I can't say that sending a currently grieving Princess, four ponies whose safety must be guaranteed in order for The Elements, or whatever their magic is called now, to work in the first place and my dearest friend Fluttershy after ferocious wolves infamous for their savagery is the brightest idea I've ever heard.”

Discord smiled as he saw Celestia’s eye twitch.

“It is a shame though…” he overzealously continued, exaggeratedly curving his body about as he emoted. “If only there was somepony putting together a team of dependable guardians precisely to defend Equestria as an alternative to risking Twilight and her friends. Oh… If only there was somepony...” Discord blinked as he found the three Alicorns staring at him bemused.

“If only there was somepony- Luna that's your cue to do something! I was being dramatic for a reason!”

“Yes, Discord, we noticed,” Luna said with annoyance, dismissing the obscene gestures Discord then made, electing to turn towards Celestia instead. “Discord raises a valid point however, sister. I assembled these ponies precisely for a situation such as this.”

“Wait, hold on,” Cadance interrupted from her side of the table. “What team? What are you all talking about?”

Ready to address Cadance’s questions, Luna was instead pleasantly surprised to find Celestia’s doing it for her. “Luna, over the past several months, has been approaching ponies from all over Equestria to act as another line of defence should Equestria ever be faced with a significant threat. Her reasoning being that the Elements of Harmony should not be put at risk so regularly, despite their consistent success,” Celestia finished under her breath.

Luna was prompted to respond due to the quip however. “It is nevertheless a viable option, one which I suggest you all consider.” Luna arched herself back as she addressed everypony, her gaze stern and her tone adamant. “I propose that I assemble my volunteers and personally escort them north to deal with the Amarok threat; peacefully if possible, but with force if necessary. I also concur with Cadance’s suggestion that the Empire prepare for a likely attack, as we cannot be sure just how many Amarok we are facing. Me and my ponies will pursue for as long as it is safe, but should I deem it necessary we will return to the Empire and then, and only then, do I suggest we deploy the Elements of Harmony.

“Are we in agreement?”

Luna’s fierce determination was fully displayed, only faltering as the seconds drolly passed by and she was met with a continued silence. Luna pursed her lips and waited for either proclamations of condonement or dismissal.

“Does my vote count?” Discord asked with a wave, though he was promptly ignored.

Cadance’s contemplative expression faded as she grew certain of herself. “I guess I can get behind that,” Cadance began anxiously, choosing to explain herself further when she noticed Celestia shoot her a glance. “I mean, if Luna’s going with them and she trusts these ponies to get the job done… I trust Luna, so I say yes,” Cadance emphasised with a tap of her hoof upon the table, earning a pleased smile from Luna.

Celestia was not as swift in responding, looking to the floor with swelling feelings that conflicted with each other while the others looked on with growing impatience. Without Twilight Sparkle present, Celestia was the last vote needed for them all to unanimously agree, and Celestia wasn't entirely convinced to say yes just yet, not with her own internal judgements dictating her decision making.

“Cadance, Discord, could you excuse us for a moment? Luna and I need to speak privately,” Celestia abruptly spoke out, much to the collective befuddlement of the ponies present. In time though Cadance and Discord complied, leaving the two Alicorn sisters alone while they walked out the door. Discord appeared to wink at one of them before he left entirely, but neither Celestia or Luna could tell who it was intended for.

Once the door was shut, Celestia turned to Luna with a miniscule frown accompanying her worried stare. “Are you absolutely sure this is the best solution, Luna? Beyond any and all doubt? As in, there is no question that this is the right course of action? I need assurance.”

“Sister,” Luna began, attempting to mimic the soothing tone Celestia so often employed. “Trust me, I would not be undertaking this task if I did not consider myself or those I intend to call upon as being capable of completing it. You are right in believing that Twilight and her friends are most likely more than able to deal with this mess just as effectively as I or you, but just because they can doesn't mean they always should.”

Celestia had no initial response, her teeth lightly grinding together as she continuing ponder Luna’s argument against her own. “It's not just about Twilight, Luna…” Celestia spoke up with a slight sigh. “It is also about the ponies you've seen selected. This Trixie Lulamoon, Lightning Dust and Agent Drops will be put at grave risk if we choose this option, and Princess Ember… Including her raises a great many other issues.”

“I'm aware,” Luna replied with haste. “And they are issues I will not ignore.”

Groaning at the rebuttal, Celestia decided to look of the positive side of things. “Well, at least Starlight Glimmer won't be involved. I suspect Twilight wouldn't take that news very well if she was.”

“Actually she changed her mind,” Luna happily stated, causing Celestia to gawk. “Like, literally a few minutes ago, oh and Sonata wishes to be involved too. They're both waiting outside now. Don't worry, I'll keep an eye on them.”

Luna’s words were not reassuring. Starlight Glimmer’s involvement would complicate matters due to her close relationship with Twilight Sparkle, and Sonata Dusk, Luna’s seemingly unhinged ward? The thought alone of her undertaking a task as grave as this was enough for even Celestia to shiver.

Was Celestia hesitant? Absolutely. Was she in utter disagreement with everything Luna was asking for? Not necessarily.

Because as much as Celestia may have wished for another course of action to be agreed upon. She trusted Luna’s judgement. She trusted Luna with her life. That's what sisters did.

So, with reluctance, Celestia too tapped her hoof on the table twice and gave Luna her nod of approval.

“Yes!” Luna exclaimed, practically prancing in place. “We are agreed then, sister! We shall begin preparations post haste!”

Despite her inner turmoil, Celestia laughed. “Luna, your speech is slipping.”

“Oh, We apologise.”

This time they both shared in their laugher, walking together side by side in the direction of the door to inform Cadance of their agreement to initiate Luna’s plan. They were halted however by Luna’s slowing pace, her legs locking up as a particularly haunting thought came to mind. “Actually, Celestia,” Luna woefully began, now unable to meet Celestia in the eye for some reason. “There is one more recruit I did not inform you of yet.”

Celestia’s brow rose, surprised that Luna would have kept something from her despite their agreement to share in the details. Celestia was sure Luna had good reason for this however, eagerly and inquisitively asking her sister to explain herself further. “Oh? And just who have you picked, Luna? Somepony I know I hope?”

Luna did not stand idle, refusing to stay silent for more than a moment. “Sister, Therapsid has agreed to assist me.”

It was as if Luna could see the light leave Celestia’s eyes. Her broad smile vanished in an instant, her shoulders dropped, her mane stiffened and even her coat appeared to cease shining. Celestia said nothing as she jerkily turned away, grunting her way out of the door with a vicious flick of her horn. Unknowingly, she passed the disguised form of Therapsid as she stomped her way down the hall and away from her frantically pursuing sister and questioning niece.

Author's Note:

Image Source

The amount of mythological research I conducted...

Two things of note, Amarok and Qiqirn, two types of mythical wolves, cept here Amarok is the name of their species and Qiqirn was an individual wolf. They're mainly from Inuit mythology if I understand correctly.

But then again, this story happened over three hundred years ago in-universe, things might have changed since then...

Anyway, next time stuff happens, involving someone who hasn't appeared in a while now. So yeah, Luna's unnamed team (at least in-universe) assemble!

And finally, I'm taking a break this weekend, which means no updates till Monday, probably later even! Don't worry, I'm spending that time writing future chapters to ensure no further delays.