• Published 14th Jul 2015
  • 4,056 Views, 382 Comments

The Marks of War - DungeonMiner



A Warhammer 40k Xover. In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is only war. For three small fillies who knew only peace, this is a terrifying change. But there is hope for them. They can survive. But the Marks of War will change them.

  • ...
18
 382
 4,056

Chapter XVI

The Blood Raven’s work on Calderis was not done for a long time. They scoured the planet three times, searching for any sign of the Alpha Legion.

Everything came under speculation. Every citizen of the Imperium was questioned. The entirety of the Blood Raven’s obsessive information-gathering habits came into play. They searched everywhere, meeting only ghosts of rumors and the occasional cultist ambush. It was not until another nine months of searching passed that they came across a single cultist psyker, with a single, faint message leading up into the etherium.

The Librarians were quick to isolate the message, and determined where it was heading.

And then, as if to mock them, the Blood Ravens then received a psychic message from Jouran asking for aid.

Driven by both the need to track down the traitors that eluded them so, and the need to protect the Imperium’s citizens, the Blood Ravens answered the call, loud and proud.

Another two months later, and they arrived above imperial planet Jouran of the Jouran system.

And so it came to pass that Apple Bloom landed on the planet's surface, armed with her heavy bolter, a new sergeant, and a small squad, to finally deal out justice.

But the forces of Chaos were not idle on the planet.

---=][=---

Trooper Rey Mammano sat with his back in cover, trying to save himself from the heavy suppressing fire from the green-armored giants just across the valley.

He felt the seven-foot thick rockrete barrier shudder as it took bolt after bolt. His hands were shaking as the heavy bolter thundered in his ears through his flak helmet. The smell of ionized air and fyceline mixed with the scent of blood and death, filling his every sense with terror. “Oh Gath!” he swore, as he ejected a spent powercell from his lasgun.

Almost everyone on Jouran got selected for the Imperial guard. He thought he had been lucky to be in the PDF, but now…

He was surrounded by other guardsmen, many dead, a few still living, all trying desperately to save their home from the forces of chaos just on the other side of the valley.

His hand kept shaking, he could barely steady himself as he grabbed a fresh cell, and he forced himself to recite Litany of Loading to calm his erratic breathing. “Machine Spirit, accept my gift,” he began, only for the cell to slip out of his hands. “Gath!”

He reached for it, hand still shivering, only for a red mechadendrite to beat him to the pack.

A massive, towering figure, a monolith of adamantium and ceramite, appeared before him. The quadruped was surrounded by five other massive men, and Rey suddenly realized he was in the presence of the Emperor’s chosen warriors.

The quadruped looked down at him, staring down past the massive heavy weapon that would take a team of Imperial Guard to move. The helmet’s green visor carried every iota of disgust, and he felt himself wither under the Space Marine’s gaze. It was as if they were the very eyes of the Emperor himself, staring down at him, judging his worth.

Apple Bloom picked up the power pack, and continued staring down at the Guardsmen with a scowl behind her helmet. She glared at him, even as her mind altered her vox grill to deepen her voice. “Are you a coward, or a trooper?”

Rey Mammano felt the gaze of the space marine burn against his skin, and he felt his mind cringe in shame.

And then his grip on the lasgun tightened.

He clenched his teeth, and took a sharp inhale. “I’m a trooper, My lord.”

Apple Bloom’s mechadendrite handed the power pack back. “Then act like it.”

He grabbed the pack with renewed vigor, before reciting the litany again.

“Machine Spirit, accept my gift,

swallow light, and spit out death!”

He moved automatically, sliding the new cell into his lasgun, before popping up from behind cover, and firing full auto into the hordes of the Chaos legion.

Apple Bloom nodded in approval, before waving her squad forward. “Fire along the ridge! Focus on the heavy weapons, and lock them down!”

The squad followed her order precisely, the Heavy Flamer and Lascannon setting up next to Trooper Mammano and unleashing las-fire into the enemy ranks, while the flames threatened to consume anyone that dared to get close.

These marines knew Apple Bloom well, many of them had been trained under her when they were scouts. They trusted her, and considered her to be the second in command to the sergeant. They obeyed her without question.

“Hold missiles for vehicles and high-priority targets!” Apple Bloom cried as a Plasma Cannon operator and Missile Launcher marine both found cover to her left, before the cannoneer fired a massive ball of superheated plasma down towards the Chaos gunner. The bolt splashed against the heavy bolter, and exploded into a blast of searing, liquid plasma that quickly melted the enemy heavy bolter, and ignited the ammunition, throwing up the entire emplacement into a ball of fire.

The cannoneer ducked behind cover, letting the plasma weapon vent so it didn’t melt his own armor into soup.

“Lukaros! With me, we’re moving up!” She yelled, before she began moving forward, opening fire against the regrouping enemy.

Another marine, armed with a multi-melta, moved up with her, the short range of the highly powerful weapon rendering it useless. “Keep firing!” she roared, and was answered with enough fire from their side. “They’re breaking!”

The Chaos legionnaires were falling back, their heavy weapons gone in a puddle of plasma, and wilting under the heavy attacks of Apple Bloom’s suppressing fire.

“They better not be!” Lukaros laughed. “I haven’t gotten a chance to introduce them to my friend!”

Apple Bloom smirked, as she continued to walk forward, into the scattered and sporadic enemy fire.

“Die before the might of the Emperor!” she roared, continuing to fire. “Feel his wrath, traitors!”

The enemy squad broke, running for cover and giving up their ground, leaving Apple Bloom’s Devastator squad to take it.

And that’s when a defiler, a daemonically-possessed tank that walked on six spine-like legs, crested the hill.

“Defiler!” Apple Bloom yelled, before a missile ripped into the walking tank.

The Devastator began reloading.

Lukaros raised his multi-melta, only for the barrel of tank to swivel down to him.

The cannon fired, and Lukaros was reduced to red mist.

Apple Bloom roared, firing up into the monster’s armored hide, while another missile and another bolt of plasma shot forward from the Blood Raven’s ridge.

The explosions rocked the defiler, and its massive turret head turned to them once more.

And then Trooper Mammano leapt up, over the rockrete barrier, and began running down the valley towards Apple Bloom and the defilier.

Apple Bloom leapt backwards, the weight and bulk of the heavy bolter slowing her down, and tried to stay clear of the massive lumbering monster and continuing to unload her heavy bolter into the defiler’s underbelly.

Trooper Mammano ran down to the discarded Multi-melta, a weapon almost as large as he was.

Another volley of plasma and missile slammed into the defiler’s body, the former melting the monster’s armor while the later shattered it to pieces.

The defiler’s head spun around, trying to find the source of the fire beneath it, before firing random shots to the ground.

Apple Bloom, her soul invisible to the daemon's warp-sight, was knocked down by a glancing blow, the explosion rocking her to the ground. She tried to get back up to her hooves, but as she looked up, all she could see was the massive foot of the defiler, waiting above her to crush her utterly.

And then Trooper Mammano fired.

High-energy infrared waves slammed into the defiler’s belly, and the waves in turn agitated the molecules to a liquid state, melting straight through the armor almost immediately. If a man had been there, his arm could have vaporized.

With a hole now presenting itself, the missile marine found his chance. Even as the defiler was reeling from the melta blow, he took aim, and fired, letting the rocket fly straight and true, directly into the defiler's exposed vitals.

And the explosion rocked Apple Bloom till her teeth chattered.

The defiler, now dead, slowly fell backwards, slamming down into the chaos line.

“Now! Forward, Guardsmen!” A commissar yelled down the Imperial line. “Forward for glory! For Jouran! For the Emperor!”

The Guard began to move, chugging forward as the Devastator squad sent to support them began to collect themselves.

Apple Bloom stood, her mechadendrites grabbing the heavy bolter, before she walked over to the trooper that she dwarfed by comparison. “Well done, Trooper.”

He nodded. “Thank you, My lord.”

“So,” Apple Bloom said with a smirk. “Which are you?”

Trooper Mammano smiled back. “I am no coward, My lord.”

---=][=---

Captain Burgolf Aren of the Fourth Company strode into the Imperial Guard command center, and instantly commanded the attention of the men around him.

Many did not dare look him in the eye, the few that did however, bowed deeply, and prayed to the Emperor that he did not notice them staring.

His massive, armored figure walked through the otherwise packed command center, and the crowd of mere mortals parted for him. Finally, he came to a single figure, and paused. “Lord General Liverance, I presume?”

Maximinus Thrax Liverance looked up from his data slate, and, to his credit, he did not immediately throw himself prone before him and begged for mercy. “Greetings, my Lord,” he greeted. “Forgive me if I seem distant, my Lord, but my men need my attention.”

“I understand, Lord General,” the Captain said before picking up a data slate himself, which now seemed comically small in comparison. “You are moving your men forward to the Saint’s Valley?”

“Yes, my lord. From there, we may move north, and then we can flank the traitor’s here,” he said, highlight a dot on the map.

Captain Burgolf nodded. “I see the wisdom in that, I shall dedicate one devastator squad, and a tactical squad to that front, while the rest of the company shall harry the traitors on the southern end.”

Maximinus nodded, before setting his slate down. “My lord, if I may speak frankly, but perhaps a devastator squad is not the best option.”

Captain Aren lowered the data slate, and set it down gently for the tech priests that were in the room.

“Is there a problem?”

Lord General Liverance leaned foreward. “I have had numerous reports about a certain marine.”

The captain’s eyes narrowed. “Which marine?”

The Lord General waited a moment, before he spoke again. “The one who stands on four legs. Do not misunderstand, he has fought with honor and has been a truly fearsome fighter. Yet his appearance...unnerves my men. It simply seems...questionable.”

The captain’s eyes narrowed as he regarded the Lord General, before finally speaking. “Question not the secrets of the Blood Ravens, we will guard them with our lives.”

“I’m sure you will.”

---=][=---

Sergeant Artur approached his Devastators with a smile on his face. “Well done, brothers! Well done!”

Apple Bloom smiled, as her mechadendrites worked on cleaning her massive gun. “We do what we can!” she answered, proudly.

“What we can, indeed!” Artur laughed. “When you get your service studs, I’m putting you in for sergeant, Apple Bloom!”

She smiled underneath her helmet, glad for the praise. “I’m honored, Brother-Sergeant.”

“You make the Chapter proud,” he said before gathering the squad around. “Now, everyone, come here, I have our orders.”

The devastators came in, gathering around Artur as he began to explain the next part of the plan. "We have been tasked to move along with the main body of the company, to harass the traitors from the southern edge. Once there, the plan is to drive them into an Imperial Guard ambush, with some of our own forces there to assist. Then, once we catch them between the hammer and the anvil, we strike them down where they stand!”

A cheer sounded from the squad, and Artur gave them a smile.

“You are free until 0500. We leave with the others at 0600 Imperial Standard.”

“Sir, yes, sir!” the marines answered.

“See you then, marines!” The sergeant said, before giving them a salute.

The marines answered with their own, before they began shouldering their weapons. One, however, simply began moving towards the door.

“Where are you going, Bethir?” Apple Bloom asked.

“To inspect the guardsmen, they are not made of the same stuff as we are,” he answered.

“That’s true for me,” Apple Bloom noted with a smirk.

“Nonetheless, I feel that we should check on them, see if their mettle is prepared for the battle ahead.”

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes, before standing. “Very well, I’ll go with you, lest you offend their honor too greatly.”

“Their honor? What are they going to do if I offend their honor?” he asked, dismissively.

“And that is why I am going with you,” she said, as her mechadendrites lifted the massive bolter onto her back, letting it sit reverently on the backpack that held her ammunition.

Bethir shrugged his shoulders. “Suit yourself.”

As they made their way out of the small building where they had been stationed, carrying their weapons with them, they were soon greeted by the sight of the hundreds of tents that housed the guard.

A few, the closest to them, immediately snapped to attention, not daring to appear sloppy before the men they believed were gods.

Apple Bloom nodded in approval while Bethir glared at them from behind helmet.

“As you were, Guardsmen,” she said, her voice disguised, and the guardsmen quickly returned to their tents, tidying them up quickly.

“My lord? My lord!” a voice called, and Apple Bloom looked over to see Trooper Mammano, her photographic memory recognizing him instantly.

“Ah, Guardsman, greetings,” she said.

“My liege!” he said, approaching her before bowing. “If I may have a moment!”

“It so happens that I have a moment to spare,” she answered.

“My lord, I have heard rumors that your form has instigated an inquiry.”

“My form?” she asked.

“They're suspicious of you, my liege. You seem…” he hesitated, “unnatural…”

Apple Bloom’s mind quickly began running through possibilities. Someone was suspicious of her. They themselves could do nothing, but questions could be asked. The Chapter’s recent history with chaos and corruption would certainly bring them under the eye of someone with the authority to do something.

Her two hearts began to beat faster.

If she were discovered by someone, anyone, who did not share the view of her chaplain, then the whole chapter could be purged.

All these thoughts flew through her mind in the time it took a fly’s wings to beat.

The Trooper didn’t even notice her hesitate.

“Unnatural?” She asked, as if she needed clarification.

“It is not my place to say nor ask, My lord. All I know is that you are one of the Emperor’s chosen. I simply fear that there are others who may ask. I simply wished to let you know.”

Apple Bloom nodded. “You have my thanks, Guardsmen, now back to your post, lest you fail in your vigil.”

Trooper Mammano saluted. “Yes, My lord! The Emperor Protects!”

Apple Bloom nodded as he left. “The Emperor Protects, indeed,” she said, before turning back and heading back to the small building that held the rest of her squad.

---=][=---

The battle did not sit well with Apple Bloom.

The Alpha Legion had indeed been caught between the Guard and the Blood Ravens, and they had fallen with ease. They did manage to last a short while, holding out in a small fortification in the valley for a month, before falling apart. Even now the force of two hundred Chaos Marines was slowly being picked through by the Guard’s flamers, cooking the bodies beyond all doubt.

Yet it was almost too easy. Especially since their force outnumbered the Blood Ravens two-to-one. A part of her liked to think that perhaps it was the numbers of the Imperial Guard that had helped turned the tide, but she was not so sure.

It seemed Captain Aren shared her concerns. He had made a call to Omnis Arcanum for backup almost a month ago, to continue to search for any sign of the Alpha Legion on the planet. They were to arrive any day now, and Apple Bloom was sure that there would be enough work for them.

The Imperial Guard was already celebrating their victory, despite the Captain’s warning that the Alpha Legion may not have left the planet, and may yet have forces hidden away.

This warning was dismissed. As paranoia of all things!

Apple Bloom shook her head, unable to believe this utter foolishness that the Imperial Guard insisted on. Still, she had her orders, move up to the northernmost space port city and fortify it lest the Alpha Legion decide to ambush them.

Paranoia, please, it was the greatest strength of a Space Marine. You could not surprise a Space Marine, for they suspected everything of being a trap.

Stepping into the waiting belly of the purring Thunderhawk, Apple Bloom led her squad in, to wait for the other two squads to file in. So far, her devastators were the first ones to appear, in the defence of her absent brothers, they were early.

“Strap in,” Sergeant Artur ordered, grabbing one of the adamantine handles along the walls while his magnetic soles activated. The others followed suit, with Apple Bloom finding a place to stand, her mechadendrite grabbing a handle for herself.

“So, this is the marine I have heard so much about…” a voice said, and all eyes went to a figure that hid in the shadows.

He had been hidden from view, somehow invisible until this moment. His face was tall, and dark. His black hair clung to his head, slicked back and looking wet. His face bore an ugly scar that tore at his upper lip, revealing his flat, horse-like teeth beneath them. His long black cloak, hemmed with red and gold, flowed all the way down to his shining, knee-high boots, and was tied around his waist by a bright red sash.

And there, at the knot, sat the large, golden badge of the Inquisition.

Apple Bloom’s two hearts froze at the sight of the “I” shaped badge, and could feel the cold smile of the skull at its center.

“When I had heard of you, I was sure that someone was mistaken.”

Apple Bloom quickly collected herself. “Greetings Mister…”

“Lord Inquisitor Vicconius Constans Kapperman II, Ordo Xenos. Of course, let us not get distracted honora—Blood Raven.”

Apple Bloom grit her teeth. “What can I help you with, Lord Inquisitor?”

“Your...stature seems somewhat unnatural. Tell me, Blood Raven, how did you get this form?”

Apple Bloom’s mind began to race. She needed something. Anything.

The Inquisition had all but complete and total authority in the Imperium. Whole planets have lost their lives to the word of an Inquisitor. An Inquisitor’s word had in fact ended a Chapter, the Flame Falcons. Their Gene seed had been altered and defiled when they were first founded. The Inquisition ordered their complete and total destruction.

She needed to come up with something, anything, to keep the suspicious eye of the Inquisition off of her and her Chapter.

Something! Anything!

“I—”

“They’re Bionics,” a new voice said, and both turned to see Librarian Lazarus Briehl. “There is no need to lie to the Good Lord Inquisitor, Brother Appericius.”

Apple Bloom blinked. “But, Librarian—”

“The Adeptus Mechanicus would not have our chapter destroyed at the cost of a single secret.” Lazarus said as a squad of Assault Marines followed behind, each armed with a jump pack and a chainsword.

The Inquisitor gave the Librarian a long look. “Bionics?” he repeated.

“You would have to ask the Mechanicus about it,” Lazarus said. “Of course, while you are there, you might as well ask them about the Techna-Lingua.”

Inquisitor Vicconius glared at the librarian as the Assault marines began to surround him, blocking the only exit to the Thunderhawk’s belly. The Inquisition had been after the secrets of the binary-based language for millennia now, and it was with no small amount of pleasure that Lazarus brought it up again. “Watch your tongue, psyker. I will not be trifled with.”

A chainsword revved up behind Lazarus, and the assault marine gave a hollow laugh. “Forgive me, Inquisitor, my finger slipped.”

Vicconius gave a quick look around at the vehicle's filling cabin, and decided that perhaps he could leave the matter of a smart-mouth Librarian for another time. “These Bionics, what do you know?”

“What do you mean, Inquisitor?” Lazarus asked, as Apple Bloom watched the temperature drop on her auto senses. “You’ve already seen them.”

“I…” the inquisitor began. “I…o-of course, I have.”

Lazarus smiled. “You see, there’s nothing to worry about, Inquisitor. It is simply the Mechanicus testing a rediscovered design, nothing sinister here.”

“Of course,” he said, before stepping off the Thunderhawk. “Now, do pardon me, but I have business to attend to here. The Emperor Protects.”

“The Emperor protects,” Lazarus repeated back, before scowling as soon as the man left earshot. “He is a fool of an Inquisitor. He delves where no man should, yet brought no protection against the warp.”

“All for the better, I think,” Karlon Thyras said, before sliding his chainsword to his magnetic belt.

“Karlon?” Apple Bloom called.

“Hello, ‘Brother Appericius’ it has been a while, hasn’t it?” Karlon said with a smirk.

“Aye, I was starting to forget,” Ramiel said as he walked in. “Sadly, it seems that I will always remember your kind, Xenos,” he said, taking the spot next to her.

“And I was just remembering the smell of fresh air,” Apple Bloom answered, “But, I will live with your stench again if I must.”

“Greetings, Apple Bloom,” a robotic voice called. “It has been many months now.”

Apple Bloom cocked her head, “I’m sorry...I don’t…”

“I understand,” he answered in a deadpan. “When we first met, I could not speak, but at last, my voice has been returned. In a matter of speaking.”

“Israfiel!” Apple Bloom yelled in recognition.

“Yes, Sister, we’re all here,” Coberos said. “It has been a while, indeed.”

Apple Bloom smiled. “My, my, just like old times, huh?”

“Indeed, Apple Bloom. Indeed,” Lazarus answered.

---=][=---

The port Spire, docked with the numerous Strike Cruisers of the Omnis Arcanum, was fully fortified, and garrisoned by three full companies of Blood Ravens. Truly, a sight to behold.

With the spire as their Headquarters, the Blood Ravens could quickly respond to any attack anywhere on the planet.

It was no surprise to Apple Bloom then, that she was called to the Chapter Master’s temporary office.

It was also no surprise that Chaplain Baltus was there, it only made sense.

What did surprise her was the presence of Lazarus’ Assault squad. “Ah,” Gabriel said, as she entered. “Just the marine we were waiting for.” He stood, and stood before the marines. “Apple Bloom, if you’ll stand with the others,” he ordered.

She obeyed.

Gabriel stood in front of the gathered marines and took a deep breath. “Now, I suppose I should start with you, young Apple Bloom. Now, the Codex Astartes does not approve of this action, however, when it comes to you, I doubt the Codex would approve at all. And so, without further ado, Apple Bloom, I hereby grant you the rank of Tactical Marine.”

“What?!” she yelled in her head.

Everything else was could have possibly said went unheard by the young xeno. She had been promoted.

And this was the happiest day of her life.

---=][=---

“An unprotected soul can no more cross the storms of the warp than a heretic can bear the gaze of the Inquisition!”—Imperial Thought of the Day.


Alright! That’s another chapter! Next time, more orks!

“Waaagh!”

Pinkie, put down the cleaver.

"It's a choppa!"

No, no it's not.

Anyway, see you next time! Bye!