• Published 14th Jul 2015
  • 4,142 Views, 31 Comments

Mother's Lullaby - Broman



When a storm scares Sweetie Belle, her older sister comes to her side and sings a lullaby.

  • ...
2
 31
 4,142

From a Caring Sister

“Take care now,” Rarity waved a hoof to the town mailmare, who carried a small package between her wings. “Hope your rendezvous goes as planned.”

“Thanks Rarity! I’m sure he’ll love the new scarf! It’s our anniversary after all.”

“Oh, well have a happy anniversary my dear! I wish you two all the best!” Rarity beamed again as the mailmare opened the door to her shop.

“Thanks again! Have fun on your trip to Manehattan!” And with that, she headed out the door.

“Oh I will! Take care now!” Rarity called back as the door to her shop closed with a soft click.

The glamorous fashionista breathed a heavy sigh of relief as she finished working with her last client of the day. She turned to her workshop and began to clean the day’s work. As she continued to clear up her work space, her mind speculated about her upcoming trip. She was cordially invited to attend a meeting with high ranking stylists and fashion designers that is hosted by her friend Fancy Pants and his companion Fleur De Lis. Excitement built inside of her as she thought of all the things that they would take in after the meeting: a broadway show, the newest culinary restaurants, all the sights and sounds of the cities, it just took her breath away.

“I’m telling you Opal, I have a good feeling about this trip,” Rarity explained, as the cat slept lazily on a windowsill. “I was invited by Fancy Pants himself you know, to this event specially and to meet with all the Canterlot fashion elites. Oh he really is a dear friend to have done this.” Rarity uttered, her upbeat mood unwavered. Opal remained on the windowsill and gave an indifferent small yawn, outright ignoring her. Rarity turned and gave an unamused expression to Opal, however, something else caught her attention.

“Oh my… it seems that we are going to be settling in for a storm tonight.” Rarity trotted over to the window and looked up, whilst disturbing Opal from her slumber. She saw as the local weather ponies gathered up clouds and packed them tightly in together in the evening sky. Her mood turned sour for a moment, before releasing a sigh, and walking away from the windowsill. Opal also left her perch, in search of a spot that still received the sun's warm rays.

Hopefully the storm won’t be that bad, otherwise the morning will be quite wet when I leave. Rarity thought to herself, not wanting to get her hooves dirty over thick mud. As she finished tidying the rest of her workshop. With that finished and out of the way, Rarity headed for the kitchen to make a late dinner; she spent nearly the whole day working and she had built up quite an appetite. As she trotted inside she heard the main door open and close quickly followed by the sound of tiny hoofs coming her way.

“Hi Rarity, I’m home!” her little sister called out from the front of the boutique.

“Good Afternoon Sweetie Belle. Did you have fun with your crusading today?” Rarity inquired as she prepared herself a couple of dandelion sandwiches and blueberry muffins from the pantry, as she heard her sister trot into the kitchen.

“Yeah, we just tried doing a few things after school.” Sweetie Belle recollected as Rarity continued to set her meal on the table and began eating, only semi-paying attention to her sister's words.

“Scootaloo had an idea after school today that we should try rollerblading to see if that’s our special talent!”

“Well that’s sounds like fun.” Rarity muttered as she continued to eat, taking in slow delicate bites and savoring the food before her. As she ate Sweetie moved ever closer to her, just outside her peripheral vision.

“Yeah it was, but we ended up crashing into some thorn bushes.” Rarity almost choked, only to briefly catch herself before swallowing her meal. She turned and did a double take at her sister and her eyes widened to see Sweetie Belle’s mane and tail covered in small bristles, burs and thorns.

“Good Heavens Sweetie Belle! You are a mess!” Rarity exclaimed, as she rushed to her sister’s side, examining the small clumps of muck wrapped tightly throughout her hair, creating small knots into her sister’s lovely mane. As she continued to examine her sister, she shuddered as she saw patches of dirt covering most if not all of her sister’s coat.

“It’s not all that bad.” Sweetie Belle replied, trying to calm the situation. “We were only able to get at least half of them out anyway.”

“Indeed you were.” Rarity said as she grabbed one of the bristles and gave it a small pull with her magic. A small yelp escaped Sweetie Belle as Rarity pulled on the small entity that befell her mane. Rarity soon let go and shook her head in disapproval, giving off small tsks with each shake of her head.

“This will not do. Sweetie Belle, you must take a bath and remove this filth immediately from your mane.” Rarity scolded, to which Sweetie Belle’s eyes went wide.

“Rarity! I’m fine! I can get these out of…hey!” Sweetie Belle was swept off her hoofs by Rarity’s magic and the two were headed toward the doors. “Don’t treat me like a foal! I’m fine!” She protested, flaying her hoofs in the air as her sister continued to move down the halls of their home.

“Your mane and coat says otherwise my dear.” Rarity said with an unamused expression as entered through the doors of the bathroom. Once inside, she immediately set for the bathtub, turning the faucets and filling the tub with warm water. As the tub continued to fill, Rarity removed the saddlebag from the struggling filly and set the items on the floor, while hovering her sister over the water.

“Wait, Rarity! Please, stop!” Sweetie Belle pleaded as she neared the bubbly water.

“Darling, this is for your own good. Your hair is an atrocity and is in a dire state. You need to take a bath this instant.” Rarity said firmly as she lowered her sister further toward the tub. Sweetie Belle continued to struggle, her small hoofs kicking outward in all directions. When that failed she resorted to something that caught Rarity by surprise.

“Rarity! If you let me go, I’ll tell you about a colt I know at school!”

The words played around Rarity’s mind and she held Sweetie Belle above the water, mere feet away from the liquid bath. A small sly smile crossed her lips as she leaned forward to her sister.

“Oh really now?” She said, her gaze never leaving her younger sibling. Sweetie Belle gave an uneasy smile and squeaked out her reply.

“Yes, yes! I’ll even tell you his name! Please, if you let me go, I will take care of myself and… and…” Sweetie paused, unsure of what to say next until a wave of Rarity’s hoof caught her attention.

“You drive a hard bargain darling. To tell about your crush? A young colt that piques your interest? It’s very tempting dear.” Rarity placed a hood to her chin and began to ponder for a few moments, a hopeful Sweetie Belle could only search for any hope that her sister would consider her offer. “In fact,” Rarity continued as she closed her eyes, “I might have to take you up on that offer.” She gave a small smile and Sweetie Belle was both relieved and elated.

“Does that mean you will stop treating me like a foal?”

“Nope.” Rarity’s reply caught Sweetie Belle off guard as the elder sibling released the aura from her horn. Sweetie Belle screamed as she plummeted into the warm water of the awaiting tub. Water splashed out over the sides as she made impact and her head shot out of the water in deep surprise, leaving her whole body completely soaked.

“I hate you!” Sweetie Belle’s voiced raised sharply as Rarity focused on a line of shampoo and conditioners nearby.

“Darling, a lady doesn’t say words like that.” Rarity explained calmly as she selected a few of the bottles and hovered them over her sister’s head.

“You annoy me sister.” Sweetie Belle said as she stuck her tongue out her.

“A little better.” Rarity sighed as she applied the shampoo on her sister mane. “Besides my dear, I don’t want to spoil the fun in guessing of who the lucky colt is.” She hummed as Sweetie Belle pouted in embarrassment, folding her hooves in irritation. After a few moments of applying the right shampoo she applied a small dab of conditioner on her mane. Rarity soon took notice of her sister silence.

“If you insist, then by all means, you can clean yourself up.” She said as she placed the bottles aside. Sweetie Belle looked at her for a moment before breathing out, and raised her hooves onto her mane. Rarity giggled at the sight as Sweetie Belle rubbed the lather all over her head and down her back, almost resembling a small bubbly creature.

As she stepped back from the sight she took notice of the saddlebags on the tile floor. Lifting the bags up she noticed a large book contained within. As she observed the item she saw a small pile of notes next to the book inside.

“Is this some homework from Miss Cheerilee?” Rarity asked as she inspected the book.

“Yes Rarity. It’s a part of our social studies in History that we’re going to have after fall break.” Sweetie Belle blankly stated as she continued to scrub herself clean.

“Be sure to get behind the ears dear.” Rarity suggested as she looked at the book before her, “I guess you have your work cut out for you my dear. As I will be away on my trip, at least I know that you will have plenty of responsibility and work to keep you occupied while I’m gone.”

Sweetie Belle grunted in reply, her eyes staring lazily at the wall in front of her. Rarity did not expect that kind of curt reply. She quickly cleared her throat and continued where she left off.

“There will be a few things I will leave to let you know what to do. I have a list that will benefit and help you while I’m…” Rarity turned to face Sweetie Belle while she talked but paused when she saw that she was not properly cleaning the back of her ears; she could clearly see a few burs still stuck behind her.

“You didn’t get the ears.” Rarity stated, her stout expression turned blank at the error before her. Sweetie Belle’s eyes widened in surprise and she quickly tried to cover up the mistake.

“I’m fine! I got the spot!” She scrambled, wiping her hair roughly with her hoofs, prompting Rarity to shake her head.

“No, no, no, you will end up rubbing your mane off like that. Let me do it.” Rarity pressed forward and outstretched her hoofs so that they reached across the tub to Sweetie Belle. She began to squirm as her elder sister pressed her hoofs upon her mane and began doing the work herself, rubbing a firm yet gentle motion across her head. Sweetie Belle continued to fidget in distress, making it difficult for Rarity to concentrate.

“Darling would you please hold still, this won’t take long.” Rarity calmly asserted, even though she was beginning to struggle to hold her rebellious sister still.

“No! I don’t want to be treated like a foal! I can handle myself!” Sweetie Belle cried out as she swung her head back away from Rarity. She did this several times, splashing out large amounts of water onto the tile’s surface.

Rarity gritted her teeth and continued to hold her sister back to her side, determined to get her mane right. Another firm tug from the younger sibling and Rarity gasped in surprise as she was dragged forward and fell straight into the bath. Sweetie Belle stared wide eyed at what she had done as the older unicorn lifted her head out of the water, her mane drenched, losing all of its glorious curls. Rarity gasped in shock and blew out some hair that dangled in front her face. She shook her head to get her hair back behind her, which prompted Sweetie Belle to giggle at the sight. Rarity turned and gave a death glare to her young sibling while Sweetie Belle gave a small impish smile.

“Ah… I didn’t mean to do that.” Sweetie Belle said sheepishly, her ears flattened against her head. Rarity grabbed her and instantly pulled her closer, the water in the bathtub splashed about as Sweetie Belle was held tightly against the mare’s chest. She squeaked when her sister began to work faster on her mane, brushing away the enduring burs and thorns that continued to linger.

“Hold still Sweetie this should not take much longer!” Rarity grumbled as she continued to work much faster. As the two struggled inside the bath, Opal walked past the room, giving a blank stare at the warring sisters, then casually walked away to find another resting spot.

****

Ten minutes later in Rarity’s bedroom after having their battle of wills the two sisters, both exhausted from their tug of war, sat together on the floor with soft bath towels covering their bodies. Sweetie Belle sat silently as Rarity used a comb to brush away the small burs and bristles that managed to remain in her two-toned mane. As the pair sat silently together the storm outside neared completion by the weather ponies and would soon be rolling in over Ponyville.

“I am not angry with you darling, I was only trying to help.” Rarity stated as she continued to brush through Sweetie's mane, removing the burs and returning the tangled mess back to a nice straight line. Sweetie Belle only grunted in reply as she resignedly waited for Rarity to finish. “As a lady you must be presentable to all, whether it be inside the homestead or out on the streets.”

“Then are you presentable with your mane down like that?” Sweetie Belle gave a half smile as she stared at Rarity’s mane which was straight and dangled unevenly down the side of her head.

“A temporary set-back my dear, this will only need a reasonable fix and quick touch up.” Rarity waved her sister off and continued to work on her hair, much to Sweetie Belle’s annoyance. Although I will have to deal with this problem in the morning. I would be cutting very close to my departure. she thought to herself, cursing bad luck that some water on the tile floor was enough to fling her into the bath. As she began to contemplate her dilemma, she finished removing the final burs on Sweetie Belle’s mane and then focused her attention on her tail which still had a few burs left.

“Are you done yet Rarity?” Sweetie Belle queried her sister, an amused expression plastered onto her face.

“In a moment darling. You can’t rush art.” Rarity calmly explained as she combed through the tail and a few of the burs came loose with ease. Sweetie Belle winced slightly when Rarity pulled a little too hard on a tangled bur and she had to endure several more brushes before the bur was finally straightened out.

“Now Sweetie,” Rarity began as she was wrapping up her work, “I’ll leave a list for you on the table tomorrow of the things that will require your attention.” Sweetie Belle remained silent as she continued to give a blank stare. “I will let you know that you have much more responsibility while I’m away. I’m sure that you are capable of handling these tasks. Plus since it’s fall break for you I know for certainty that you will have plenty of time to be with Apple Bloom and Scootaloo. I will be out of your hair for almost a full week… pardon the pun. Wouldn’t that be something?” Rarity finished the final lines of Sweetie’s tail and set the brush aside.

“Yeah that’s fine. I’m glad to see that you’ll have fun. I’m quite a static for you.”

“Ecstatic...my dear.” Rarity quietly corrected her. Sweetie Belle grumbled as she stood up from, her towel that wrapped around her midsection fell to the floor. The elder sibling eyed her for a moment and noticed a downtrodden expression on her sister’s countenance.

“Is everything alright dear? Did something happen at school?” Rarity questioned, a hint of concern coming upon her as she wondered what befell her sister’s behalf.

“I’m fine. I have a bunch of plans with Apple Bloom and Scootaloo. I’m going to do lots of fun things with my friends while you're gone.” Sweetie Belle replied. She turned her head and gave off a fake smile which Rarity easily saw through.

“You don’t sound too sure of yourself dear. Is there anything I can do to-”

“I said I was fine!” Sweetie Belle cut her off. Rarity blinked and doubt grew in her at the authenticity of her words. She stared at her younger sibling and could only ponder as to why she snapped like that. Sweetie Belle shut her mouth with her hoof as if she was shocked and she turned towards the door, her head hanging low to the floor.

“Sweetie Belle. What has gotten into you?” Rarity questioned as the filly neared the door.

“I’m fine Rarity. I’m happy that you're going on your trip, in fact, I wouldn’t realize that you were even...gone.” Sweetie explained in a drown manner. Rarity could only sit there dumbfounded. She could not fathom what bizarre behavior had afflicted her sister.

“Sweetie Belle you're exaggerating. Please come back this instant and tell me what is the matter.” Rarity protested but she could already hear the slamming of her sister’s door as her voice echoed down the halls.

“You don’t even see it Rarity! Well that’s fine then! Because when I’m all grown up and married I’m going to be living alone! You hear me! I’ll be living alone!” Sweetie’s muffled voice cried out, almost to the point of wailing. Rarity then heard her stomping on the floor several times before another loud slam came from down the hall. But she just sat there in bewilderment, mostly befuddled by Sweetie’s choice of words, unsure as to what she had witnessed or why her sister was behaving this way.

Was it something I said? She thought to herself, trying to decipher what troubled her younger sibling. The chime of the clock brought her out of her stupor and she turned to see that it read ten o'clock.

“Oh my, I’ve got to make sure if everything is ready before I leave tomorrow,” Rarity thought aloud as she headed out of her room and downstairs to the main room.

For the next half hour Rarity checked and rechecked all the luggage and ensured that all of her things were accounted for. Once settling her bags in the main room she quickly made a comprised note of things that she knew Sweetie Belle would need to handle while she was gone. After making the appropriate arrangements she settled the parchment onto the countertop and headed to Sweetie Belle’s room.

Once at her door she stopped and stared at Sweetie Belle’s door, which held a ‘don’t disturb’ sign on the handle. She had an urge to go in and to see her, to say goodnight at the very least. However, she knew better than to pry into her sister's business unless it was dire. Still feeling guilty that she needed to say something she leaned her head forward, and uttered a small hushed parting.

“Goodnight, Sweetie Belle.” she murmured quietly to the door.

After a few moments she was left standing there with nothing but a remorsed goodbye and a sigh of defeat. She turned down the hall and entered her room, closing the door behind her. She made her way towards her open bed and as she settled herself in, she heard the rain coming down on the roof of her home, pattering against the wooden structure.

She sighed again and nestled her purple mane against the softness of her feather pillows. As the rain continued to beat against her house, slowly picking up in tempo, she heard a small rumble in the distance. She sighed again before closing her lush vibrant eyes.

This is going to be a long night. She thought to herself and drifted off to sleep.

****

Several hours later Rarity bolted out of her covers as a thunderclap echoed outside, through the streets of Ponyville, jolting her from her slumber. She shivered at the frightening sound that boomed outside making her rooms windows rattle. Her brow sweated a little and she brought a hoof to clear it up, bringing her straight mane back behind her ears. Her horn lit up as she illuminated the room in a purple hue, casting long shadows along her furniture. She turned to the window and saw the rain pouring down on the glass like silver linings. The rain pounded so hard outside she felt that she was inside a waterfall. She took a deep breath and calmly breathed out, trying to calm her nerves.

Never thought I would ever be awoken like that, she thought to herself as she watched the rain continue to batter against the window, watching the rain stream down her window pane down to the streets below.

Taking another deep breath Rarity breathed out again and settled herself back into the comforts of her bed, pulling her plush blankets back over her. She continued to stare at the window, watching a flash or two off in the distance of town, a low rumble echoing a few seconds later. She stayed like that for some time, the rise and fall of her blanket was the only thing that moved. She didn’t understand why she stayed awake, either the cause for the dreadful storm outside or the worry for Sweetie Belle.

Her small outburst caused much worry upon her mind, unsure if she should have said something different or become less forced in her speech. In a way, it made her uneasy because of it. The nagging thoughts persisted as she lay awake, watching the weather continue to churn up outside, and the rain continuing to batter against her home. With another breath Rarity released her magic, making the room dark once more. She slowly closed her eyes, hoping she could lull herself to sleep. As she was about to close her bright azure eyes a sudden flash encompassed the entire window, her heart skipped a beat as it held her gaze. A second later another thunderclap boomed outside. Not a moment after impact a loud high-pitched shriek pierced her ears and she bolted her body out of her covers.

“Sweetie Belle!” Rarity called out as she kicked the covers off and out of her room. She quickly skidded to a halt in front of her door; already hearing a wailing cry on the other side. She opened the door and entered inside, and, with the light of her aura, saw a filly cowering inside her bed. Rarity could only watch as Sweetie had dug her blankets close to her, her face buried deep within the confines of the fabric. Rarity could distinctly hear the small muffled sobs that came from her.

“Sweetie Belle, are you alright?” Rarity raised her concerned voice. Sweetie Belle didn't respond, her cries continuing to be muffled by the covers. Rarity could only stand there, her breath short and shallow from the small burst of adrenaline. She edged herself closer to the bed, making sure not to take any sudden movements that might startle her sister. She paused briefly when another flash of lightning followed by thunder boomed outside, illuminating the room for a brief moment. She could clearly see her sister curled up tight on the bed, holding the covers close to her in a fetal position. She moved once more when the lightning passed and soon stood over her younger sister. The aura around her horn brightened up, providing enough light in the room to see everything around her. She raised a hoof and gently placed it on top of her sister's back. Sweetie froze up on contact and her sobbing ceased in a brief gasp.

“Sweetie Belle?” Rarity probed, her voice soft and gentle. Sweetie Belle lifted her head from the covers and Rarity could clearly see her tired eyes were bright red, stained by many tears. For a moment they could only stare at each other, staring into each others eyes as if for the first time. Sweetie Belle’s lips began to quiver, another hiccuping sob escaped her, and she hugged into her sister's chest, continuing to cry into her alabaster coat. Rarity returned the hug, holding her close to her body and gently hushing her with soft coos. They stayed like that for some time, locked into each others embrace and neither side wanting to let go.

“I’m sorry.” Sweetie Belle broke the silence, “I’m so sorry,” she repeated.

“Darling, it’s fine. The storm was to blame for your awakening. You don’t need to apologize for-” she stopped when Sweetie Belle shook her head into her chest.

“No… it’s not that.” She whimpered, her arms wrapping even tighter around her elder sister, ‘It’s not that at all.”

“Please Sweetie, tell me.” Rarity softly encouraged her, rubbing her mane gently with her hoof.

“I… I…” Sweetie sniffled, her words escaping her. She wept again and she buried her face into her white coat, her tears breaking forth once more and caressing down her cheeks.

“I... had a nightmare... Rarity. I was alone.” Sweetie Belle cracked and she sobbed once again. Rarity continued to comfort her younger sibling; whatever nightmare she had made her scared and it was not from the storm. Rarity could feel her shake again and she continue to stroke her mane back and forth. She did this several times before swallowing her dry mouth before speaking again.

“Sweetie Belle, do you know what happened in your nightmare? Can you explain it to me please?” Rarity lifted herself up onto the bed, wriggling closely to her younger sister, moving her slightly so that she sat onto her lap. Sweetie Belle shook her head and rubbed her tiny hooves over her eyes.

“Rarity. I’m so sorry... for lying to you. It’s… this is all my fault.” she lowered her head in defeat and Rarity stared at her in mild confusion but showing more concern for her the longer she looked at her.

“Whatever do you mean dear? Nothing's your fault and I am not-” she tried to speak out but Sweetie cut her off by looking her dead in the eye.

“Rarity, I lied to you,” she finally said it, “I lied to you, I lied to my friends, and I lied to myself. Now I’m horrible because of it.” She blubbered out her words, fresh tears continued to stream down her face, crying her heart out to her older sister. Rarity frowned and moved a delicate hoof to her sisters chin and gently forced her to look at her.

“Sweetie Belle, you are not horrible. You are a sweet, kind, gentle filly that everyone adores and loves. Don’t ever say that or even let anypony else tell you differently.” Rarity reached out and held Sweetie tightly against her chest, holding her in arms in a tight embrace, nuzzling the top her head with her own. They stayed like that for some time, the only sound was the storm that continued to rage outside. Sweetie Belle still continued to cry into her arms, however, she was much more quiet than before to which Rarity took notice.

“Darling. Can you explain to me what happened?” Rarity asked, giving a reassuring smile to her younger sibling, stroking her sister's mane with her hoof. Sweetie Belle sniffled a moment, wiping away a few fresh tears with her hooves, before taking a shuddered breath.

“It all started after school.” Sweetie Belle began, her gaze avoiding Rarity, “Apple Bloom and Scootaloo had planned out our next crusading and we were going to have a lot of fun. When it got late and we were going to call it a night I said that I wanted to try more crusading tomorrow. But…” Sweetie Belle paused, her voice becoming shaky. “But they said that they had other plans. Apple Bloom told me she had some family trip with her siblings and Scootaloo was going to be with Rainbow Dash for the fall break. What made it worse is that they asked me what I was going to do for fall break. I… I lied to them by saying I was going with you to Manehatten.” Sweetie Belle began shaking again, another wave of tears already threatening to stream down her face once again. Rarity remained silent, taking it all in, and patiently waited for her to continue. Sweetie began again, only her voice began to quiver between words.

“I lied to you, Rarity. I lied so that you wouldn’t have to worry. I got so frustrated, that I didn’t know what to say...or what to think. I was rude to you, and I went to bed angry. And then… then the nightmare came.” The dam broke once more and tears resumed streaming down her face.

“Go on.” Rarity urged gently. Sweetie Belle sobs soon turned to whimpers, her voice becoming more shaky with each breath. Her body shook along with her and Rarity’s hoof, which was calmly stroking her mane, was the only thing that kept her steady.

“In my nightmare, I was alone. No friends…no family…the lie I told was enough to break, my friendship. My best friends, left me, you never came back, from Manehatten…and the colt I liked…never stayed with me.” Sweetie’s sobs raised in volume and she buried her small muzzle into Rarity’s side.

“I don’t want to be alone! I never want to be alone!” she finally cried out, her tears dampening into Rarity's coat. Rarity could only sit there as her sister cried out in grief. She sat there in deep contemplation, the only thing that disturbed her would be the lighting that rumbled in the distance or the thunder that lit outside. After spending time in deep thought a realization came over Rarity and recalled a memory that invoked her mind. She gently nudged Sweetie Belle with her hoof and she stirred for a moment to look up to her older sister. Rarity beamed at her as she held her close.

“It’s okay dear. I know what you're going through.”

Sweetie Belle wiped away some tears and could only stare at her sister.

“You… you do?” Sweetie Belle said, being hopeful.

“Yes. In a matter of perspective to be precise. For I too had the experience of being alone.” Rarity calmly stated which made Sweetie Belle stare at her curiously.

“You were scared of being alone?” Sweetie questioned, looking for more details.

“Oh yes. It’s all part of growing up my dear. However, you have not been to told about loneliness the same way as Mother told me.” Rarity looked out and stared at the window, the rain continued to patter against their home albeit not as torrent as was before.

“You know how Mother and Father were always going on business trips, correct?” Rarity looked back down to Sweetie who gave a small nod in reply. “Well, my dear, it was not always the case when I was growing up. You see, both Mother and Father were always with me when I was growing up. Sure they may leave occasionally to do business with other ponies and were apart of various art shows but they always were giving me their full attention when they were at home. Eventually their trips would take longer and either Mother or Father might be away. Sooner or later it required that they would both would be needed in their work.” Rarity paused, letting the words sink in so that Sweetie Belle could understand before resuming.

“Then one day, a storm similar to this one we are experiencing now, had come along and gave me such a fright that I thought I would never fall back to sleep. Mother came to my side that night and stayed with me. She calmed me, she caressed my cheeks, she kissed me on the head, she held me during my darkest hour. Then... she whispered to me something that I would never forget. She said, ‘No matter what happens, no matter how far apart we may be, no matter the distance that keeps us separated, know that you will always be in Mother's heart.’” Rarity trembled for but a moment, the words being remembered within her and how close her bond was to her mother and father. She looked down to see Sweetie Belle bearing a small smile, her eyes were red and her cheeks puffy. She sniffled again and her small smile faded away, and she looked to the side once more.

“I just don’t want to be alone. I’m sorry for lying to your Rarity. I’m just…” she began to say when Rarity interrupted her.

“You have nothing to apologize for Sweetie Belle. In fact, I should be the one who should be apologizing to you. I should have paid attention to your needs first dear. I should be there for you when you need answers to questions that are hard to ask. I should be there for you when you need me most of all, even when you may not need me to be there. Do you understand what I am saying, darling?”

“I guess… yes… I think so.” Sweetie Belle replied, her face still a little downtrodden, however, Rarity could tell that her words were starting to have an affect on her. Another thunderclap struck outside and the young filly gasped in surprise, clutching tightly around Rarity’s midsection rubbing her muzzle into Rarity’s fur. Rarity repressed the urge to smile at the sight before her and instead gave a warm chuckle, while gently caressing the top of her mane. They stayed like that for what seemed like hours, yet only lasted for a few minutes. Then, an idea came to her mind that she never thought before, and she settled herself further into the bed, making herself comfortable for both her and her sister. Once settling herself against the back of the bed, with Sweetie Belle’s head resting in her lap she began to hum in a soft tone. Sweetie Belle soon took notice and she looked up at Rarity, wondering what her sister was up to.

“Rarity, what are you doing?” Sweetie questioned, sniffing a little bit and rubbing away the tears that already came down. Rarity hushed her as she gently held her close, her head placed right over Rarity’s chest, ever listening to her rhythmic heartbeat.

“Mother sang me this whenever I was troubled.” Rarity spoke slowly still emitting a gentle hum. “I believe she never sang this to you,” she paused for a moment and then added, “Hopefully I still remember all of the words.” she wrapped her hooves around her, ever becoming a large teddy bear to her younger sibling. Her humming moved to a beat, gentling changing in tone. The humming grew louder yet remained ever soft, the noise she created dampened the thundering rain outside. Then in a silent whisper, Rarity began to sing in a slow yet peaceful tune.

“Hush my child the storm is here,
Be quiet my dear I will abide,
I will keep you safe and warm,
Mother will always be by your side.”

As she sang she began to rock herself back and forth, carrying Sweetie Belle with her. She lowered a hoof down and rubbed her cheek, drying away the tears that remained.

“I’ll wipe away your tender tears,
No need to fear my little dear,
I will comfort your tender heart,
For mother will always be near.”

Rarity closed her eyes and the light on her horn brightened the room in calm purplish light. Sweetie Belle soon took comfort and was resting more comfortably in Rarity’s arms. A blanket was raised and placed over the both of them, keeping them nice and warm.

“I’ll wrap your blankets so snug and tight,
For the storm will continue to rage outside,
But I’ll keep you from all harm,
As long as you stay by mother's side.”

She hummed once more, her pitch reaching new heights.

“The wolves of everfree do howl through the night,
Their cries can be heard for miles around,
But no need to fear their loud maws,
For mother will keep you safe and sound.”

She continued to rock back and forth, Sweetie’s eyes becoming heavy from the peaceful tune.

“Close your heavy sleepy eyes,
Dream of dreams that bring peace and calm,
Dream away into the night
As mother sings this tiny psalm”

She soon stopped rocking and she heard a gentle sigh escape Sweetie Belle, signifying that sleep has overcome her, yet Rarity continued on.

“As I sing my lullaby,
Know that we will never part,
When you wake at tomorrow’s dawn,
Know that you’ll always be in mother's heart.”

Rarity paused, finishing her Mother’s lullaby but then leaned forward and added,

“Know that you’ll always be in my heart.”

She leaned forward, planting a tiny kiss on top of her brow and shuffled herself until she sat idly next to her sister, who was now smiling at this point. Rarity turned to the window and took notice that the storm had dampened and the rain that came down was lighter than before. That brought a smile to her face and caused her to dim her aura around her horn until it was no more. A thought soon occurred to her, causing the smile to broadened her features. She closed her eyes and rested her head just above Sweetie Belle’s, her straight tail wrapping around her body to keep her warm. She made a soft hum, replaying the song she did moments ago, until she too drifted off to sleep. As the two sisters slept in peaceful slumber the cat Opal had leapt up and sat at the foot of the bed, kneading the bedsheets until it was comfortable. The Persian cat then rested down and a smile crept up her mouth as it dreamed into peaceful sleep.

***

Sweetie Belle awoke the next morning to find that she was alone in her bed. She looked around her bed, hoping to find her sister with her, but found that her room was the same as before. She pondered for a moment and could only stare out at the window, which was bright and sunny in the morning sun.

Was it all a dream? She thought to herself before hearing a faint voice from downstairs.

“Sweetie Belle! Are you awake? The Train leaves in thirty minutes! We have to go soon!” It was Rarity’s voice, and she was about to-

Wait. Did she say… we? Sweetie immediately thought as she bolted out of bed and down to the stairs below. She raced until she was in the kitchen and skidded to a halt to where her sister was finishing cooking some scrambled eggs with toast. Rarity gave a warm smile as she entered inside.

“Ah there you are. I took the liberty of gathering your things for your trip along with your school work that I can easily-” she was interrupted when Sweetie Belle raised her squeaky voice.

“Wait a minute! Are you saying that-” she trailed off when Rarity gave a warm chuckle and broad smile to her younger sibling.

“Well I do know a few museums that can help with your work. Plus imagine the look on your friends’ faces when you bring back some souvenirs.”

Sweetie Belle was speechless at first, then a slow, teary smile graced upon her countenance as she rushed Rarity into a fierce hug. Rarity returned the gesture in kind.

“Thank you Rarity! Thank you!” Sweetie Belle began to cry, but at this point they were tears of joy.

“It’s no problem at all darling. Besides, this home can survive a week’s worth of dust.” She giggled as she let go of her sister and headed over to the table to eat. Sweetie Belle followed and the two quickly ate their meals before heading out the door’s with their bags in tow. As Rarity shut the door behind her, Sweetie Belle, who was already by her side, gave her sister a tender hug.

“Whatever is that for darling?” Rarity asked, giving a small smile to her younger sibling.

“For being my best sister.” She simply said, to which Rarity beamed her smile even brighter.

Author's Note:

I like to thank all of my editors and proofreaders for helping me make this story. Without them this story would not have come to fruition. I hope you all enjoyed in following this story.

Feedback is appreciated and a blog will be made for this soon.

~Broman

Comments ( 31 )

FEELSFEELSFEELSFEELSFEELSFEELSFEELSFEELS.

:unsuresweetie: What's this?
:raritystarry: nothing
:unsuresweetie: Are you sure?
:duck: Yes.
:unsuresweetie: Nothing my hoof!
:raritywink: It's just a cushion !

img08.deviantart.net/c2cc/i/2015/105/0/9/i_lost_it_by_hillbe-d8ptaov.jpg

:unsuresweetie: Yeah, so you say. ..

Oh, Celestia, so many feels, I LOOOOOOVE IIIIIIT! XD

You might want to fix the short description. Unless the storm is psychologically traumatizing Sweetie Belle, I think you meant "scares," not "scars."

6204037 I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Feels and all. :twilightsmile:

6204361 I'm going to take this as a complement. :pinkiesmile:

6204950 Glad you liked it friend. :twilightsmile:

6205539 I didn't realize the mistake. Thanks for that. :twilightblush:

6206213 I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Nice, great ending and great song. Love the ending and Rarity's decision. keep it up. :raritywink:

6206604 Oh thanks so much! I'm glad that you enjoyed the song that I created. I hope to create more stories that are just like it.

Two sisters in sisterly bond mode but who is the boy Sweetie likes?

This bit in the summary reads awkwardly-

When Sweetie Belle explain what she dreamed Rarity will give a valuable lesson about growing up and sing a Lullaby that their mother once sang.

It should probably be more like-

When Sweetie Belle explains what she dreamt, Rarity teaches her a valuable lesson about growing up and sings a lullaby that their mother once sang.

Also, here-

Rarity waved her sister off and continued to work on her hair, much to Sweetie Belle’s annoyance. Although I will have to deal with this problem in the morning. I would be cutting very close to my departure. she thought to herself,

I had to read it several times to notice that there was a thought in there. Thoughts should be distinguished either being being in italics or within single quotes(or both, something to make it clear that it's internal dialogue).

Rarity waved her sister off and continued to work on her hair, much to Sweetie Belle’s annoyance. Although I will have to deal with this problem in the morning. I would be cutting very close to my departure, she thought to herself,

or

Rarity waved her sister off and continued to work on her hair, much to Sweetie Belle’s annoyance. 'Although I will have to deal with this problem in the morning. I would be cutting very close to my departure,' she thought to herself,

Without either of those it blurs together.

There were also a couple spots with unneeded capitalization, like Good Afternoon and Good Heavens. The words afternoon and heavens don't nee to be capitalized.

6206775 Can't wait to read/hear them.

Congrats on reaching 300 views! :pinkiehappy: You really deserve it. :twilightsmile:

6221421 It was thanks to you and the others for making it happen. :twilightsmile:

6207114 I made some of the changes that you pointed out. Sorry for not responding earlier and thanks for the tips. Also how do you like the story overall?

6206847 Think of a colt with a propeller beanie. That is the only hint I'll give. :raritywink:

6222806
T'was very cute.

6418665 I appreciate your aww. :twilightsmile:

She sat there in deep contemplation, the only thing that disturbed her would be the lighting that rumbled in the distance or the thunder that lit outside.

You transposed those two words.

This was beautifully done. The pacing was perfect and the interactions between Rarity and Sweetie Belle were depicted wonderfully. It's stories like this that make me wish I didn't grow up as an only child. Aside from a couple of friends from school, all I had were my parents and my dog. That was it. There were many times where I felt alone, and when I look back on those times, I wish that I at least had a sibling to spend time with and comfort - or be comforted by - during hard times, especially during storms, which were immensely frightening for me in the past, and, from what I see here, equally as frightening for Sweetie Belle.

This, my friend, is a masterpiece. You should feel very proud of this story. Have a like and fave. :twilightsmile:

6712304 Man this is a very meaningful comment. I appreciated that you felt so much connection with this story. I wanted a story that brings back our childhood and the ones that cared for us when we were scared. It comes to show that even when we feel like we are alone, we are never truly alone, as long as we have our friends and family with us. I guess depicting both Sweetie Belle and Rarity in this situation made that same feeling even more meaningful.

I am very happy how this story turned out and I have thanks to my editors as well for helping me along the way. Maybe there will be another story in the future that I can focus on another set of siblings or two close friends or lovers even. But for now, I am happy that this story has so much love and respect and you have my utmost thanks.:twilightsmile:

Well, looka like Opal isn't getting fed for another week... :fluttercry:

I wish I had a sister... I really want a sister... I just have a Big Brother... But he never payed me much mind... He just bossed me around most the time... But he would play imaginary games with me sometimes and we used to have tickle wars with my stuffed animals... He's 20 years old now and I'm all alone!! He moved out and I'm only 15!! I wish my Big Brother did stuff like this!! You have no idea how much I'm crying because I miss him and this story just made me realize how much I actually do!! DX This is an amazing story!! Whenever I had a nightmare and ran to my brother he just groaned and said 'Go away... Go back to sleep. It's just a dream' I actually sat in a ball crying because I was so scared. But I was in his room and he didn't even acknowledge that I was there..... I mean now he'll drive around with sometimes and take me places and lets me hang out with him and his friends but that's only when I'm staying over with him. By him I mean our Nana. He's staying with her till he can get his own place but he's a Corrections Officer atleast... But I really miss him... He used to be just across the hall from me.. Sometimes I look into his to expect his stuff to be there but instead find junk we had no where else to put.... Sometimes all a girl needs is her big brother to help protect her.. When he left I actually had more and more nightmares about monsters coming to kill me... I didn't realize how safe he made me feel being just across the hall... I should ask to see if we could hang out some day... Some brother sister time... But he works at night and sleeps during the day because he had to work at night at the Prison... I just want my Bubba!! DX

I posted a comment on here... What happened to it?!?

7383808 Don't worry. I still see it.:raritywink:

7382172 It took me awhile to think of this but I have to say that this is the most heartfelt comment that I have ever read. I had no idea that it effected you so much and in such a way. This story has many things that I wanted to bring out, to have that special moment for everyone that has a sibling. I'm the youngest in my family and I always looked up to my brother or sister for help. Now that I'm older I do miss being with often, and you're right. Family is essential, it is always something that is important in our society. I am so happy that you liked this story and I am very proud that it had touched you in such a way. I should be the one thank you for taking this story into consideration. :twilightsmile:

7386679 Of course!! When I wrote that it was 2 AM and I was crying myself to sleep so why not just cry some more right? Heartfelt you say...? I can't say I've ever been told that before but that's mostly cause I'm that friend who thinks they're a total badass and is a badass. I alos play Trumpet so my ego is an all high. But sometimes you just gotta let everything loose you know? Thanks for even responding to my comment!! At least I'm not ignored. Sorry for the late response. I was reading a Vinyl and Octavia story...

7386885 It's okay. I'm glad that you enjoyed it! :twilightsmile:

7387069 eeyup. I was reading another story!! XD

Login or register to comment