• Published 6th Aug 2015
  • 495 Views, 3 Comments

Civil War - Lord of Flies



When the solar system is dragged into a civil war, can the Equestrian Federation defeat the New Lunar Republic and maintain control of the solar system?

  • ...
7
 3
 495

Prologue: A Canterlot Visit

U.C. 0065

Canterlot, Capital of the Equestrian Federation

I took a deep breath, my first one since coming back to Terra. Fresh, clean air filled my lungs. Good air, unlike in the colonies. I smiled, and closed my eyes. “Ahh… I like it here.”

“That’s good,” a voice said, “I’m glad that you still like it here on Terra.”

I turned slightly, and glanced at Celestia, my sister. “Oh, Tia. I didn’t see you standing there.”

Celestia smiled. “Come here, Luna.”

We hugged each other. I, unconsciously, smelled my sister’s mane. Roses?

I looked at Celestia. She looked… tired. “You look tired, Tia.” I said, “What have I missed?”

Celestia sighed. “What do you know of Tenor Y. Minovsky?”

“Dr. Minovsky? I’ve met him once, or twice. Why?”

“Well, as of two days ago, the field of physics has been changed.”

“Oh?”

I was confused. Why was Celestia talking about a scientist who’d been declared a disgrace by his peers?

“The Minovsky Physics Society has discovered what they call the ‘Minovsky Particle.’”

“Let me guess,” I said, “this particle could theoretically revolutionize warfare?”

“Yeah.”

I rolled my eyes. “Wonderful,” I stated, “Simply wonderful. Another useless particle.”

“Luna, come on. This particle could actually do it.”

“I doubt it. Unless this ‘Society’ can prove their particle’s usefulness, I’m not going to support it.”

Celestia smiled, slightly. “That’s the sister I know. Well, come on, it’ll get dark in a few hours.”

I nodded, out of reflex, more than anything. I followed behind Celestia, taking in the city. “You know,” I said, remembering, “I remember Canterlot being a small castle in the middle of a valley that opened to the sea.”

“Yeah. That was a long time ago.”

I nodded again. “Look at it now. Although…”

I paused, stopping in front of an open street, looking toward the library. Towering skyscrapers surrounded it. I snorted. “Of course, keep the library. I like that building.”

“Luna, it’s been forty years since you’ve been here. I have no intention of getting rid of the library.”

I glanced at Celestia. “Right. Make sure you do.”

Celestia sighed. “Come on. There’s something I want to show you.”

I raised an eyebrow at her, but sighed. “Fine, fine.”

Following behind Celestia, I took in the city’s sights. More tall skyscrapers, smaller building housing shops, apartment buildings, and, surprisingly, slums.

I rolled my eyes. Even in the heart of the Equestrian Federation, you still found slums. Pausing in front of one of the smaller shops, I heard an argument start up. Between colts. Not surprising.

I walked closer to the group of colts. One of the colts, a unicorn, said, “Hey, hey, leave him alone.”

The unicorn looked to be of noble birth, judging by his posture and clothing. He was a fan of hair gel, judging by his slicked-back crimson and light blue hair.

The colt he was defending was a pegasus, who was down on one knee. The unicorn spoke again. “Just because he’s from the colonies doesn’t mean he’s bad.”

Oh. Of course. This argument again. Wonderful.

One of the other colts barked, “He’s a dirty Spacenoid!”

“No, he’s a pony like us,” replied the unicorn colt, coolly.

“If he really is a pony like us,” another colt challenged, “then he should defend himself.”

The pegasus, with dark green fur, light pink hair, and blue eyes, stood. “Very well, then,” he said, “if it’s self defense you want, then I’ll do it.”

“Good,” smiled the challenger, an earth pony, who rushed the dark green pegasus.

The pegasus leapt into the air, letting the earth pony slam into the wall behind where the pegasus had been.

The earth pony stumbled back from the wall. The pegasus, descending upon his opponent, slammed the bottom of his shoes into the earth pony’s shoulders, forcing him down to the ground.

The pegasus stepped off the earth pony, before kicking his fallen opponent in the side.

“How’s that?”

The earth pony grunted, “Fine, fine, you win.”

Extending a hand toward the earth pony, the pegasus seemed to be a kind pony. The earth pony took the hand, and the pegasus pulled the earth pony to his feet. “Well,” the unicorn, noticing me, said, “you guys might wanna stop. One of the princesses is watching.”

I smiled, softly. The colts turned to face me. They chuckled, embarrassed. “It’s fine,” I said, waving my hand dismissively. “Run along, now.”

The unicorn and the pegasus stayed behind as the other colts ran off. “Sorry about that,” the unicorn apologized, “not everyone here likes Spacenoids.”

The pegasus shrugged. “I don’t mind. I like it here.”

The unicorn extended a hand. “I’m Blazing Halcyon.”

Taking Blazing Halcyon’s hand, the pegasus said, “Well, I’m Wild Breeze.”

The two colts turned to me. “Princess Luna,” Wild Breeze said, “I had no idea that you’d be here.”

I smiled again, “As I said, it’s fine. Not very many ponies are aware of my movements. Well, the planetside ones anyway.”

“Oh,” Blazing Halcyon said, “I see. I’d better get going. My parents are going to be cross with me if I don’t get home soon.”

He jogged off, after picking up a duffle bag. Wild Breeze glanced at his watch. His eyes widened, slightly. “I’ve gotta go. Gonna be late for dinner.”

I nodded. Heading back to the shop, I noticed that Celestia had kept walking. Oh no, where she’d go? I didn’t think it was that long.

“There you are, Luna,” Celestia said, from behind me.

I turned around. Celestia stood, slight smile on her face. A unicorn filly stood next to her, cyan eyes looking up at me, curious. “This,” Celestia said, gesturing to the filly, “is Sunset Shimmer, my student.”

I kneeled, wanting to get a closer look at Sunset Shimmer. “Hi,” I said, “I’m Princess Luna.”

She had crimson and yellow hair, giving me the impression that she had a fiery personality. Her cyan eyes seemed a bit out of place, being surrounded by light amber fur.

“I like your hair,” Sunset Shimmer said, smiling.

I smiled, “I like you, Sunset. You’ve got a great teacher.”

I stood, and looked at Celestia. “Well, Celestia,” I prompted, “there’s still a lot you need to show me.”

Celestia nodded.

Author's Note:

If you have any suggestions, feedback, concerns, or want to ask me any questions, leave them in the comments below. Thanks!