• Published 11th Jul 2015
  • 3,740 Views, 495 Comments

Return to Equestria: The Rise of Roam - Daniel-Gleebits



Sunset Shimmer and Sonata Dusk live happily together, bonded by experience and united in love. But an unexpected visit from the Equestrian Discord, and a mysterious journal entry from Twilight Sparkle send them on a journey back to Equestria

  • ...
19
 495
 3,740

I Can Give You Everything

Return to Equestria: The Rise of Roam

Sunset Shimmer


Sunset’s whole body was numb. She had known in her relatively short existence the soul-staining agony of reliving a nightmare; how many sleepless nights followed the wretched night when she had donned the skin of her true self, even she had lost count. As real or terrifying as those experiences had ever been, however many times she’d awoken drenched in sweat, or been broken from sleep by the sound of her own screaming, she could honestly say that none of it had been as awful as this. This, she couldn’t wake up from. This, she couldn’t close herself away from, simply curl up and let the tears fall until she felt the weight of it lessen but never leave.

This wasn’t some phantom horror. This was real.

High above, at the centre of the space where the rain was denied passage, Sonata hovered like the harbinger of the apocalypse, her hooves raised high and her voice calling loud over the scene. As before, Sunset could hear the music, but knew at the same time that it wasn’t being directed at her. Everypony else around, however, was sitting meekly on the sodden ground, all staring like zombies up at their master. The music was so beautiful, and so nostalgic, it made Sunset’s insides squirm unpleasantly. It was no longer the more upbeat, playful notes Sonata had made during her brief demonstration beside the river; it had returned to the powerful reverberations that, despite the loss of two of the three singers, had not lost its penetration.

Sunset unstuck her jaw. Summoning all of her courage, she screamed for the heavens, and those whom occupied it, to hear her.

“SONATA!”

The singing stopped.

High above, the transparent wings flapped once, and Sunset saw Sonata turn. The sight summoned a surge of fear into her heart; a familiar sensation of terror washed over her, seeming in Sunset’s mind that the massive serpent were glaring down upon her again, rather than her marefriend. As though the two were distinct entities.

Sonata’s face broke into an expression of unmistakable delight, despite the malevolent glow of red in her eyes.

“You came back!” she cried.

Rather faster than Sunset would have expected, Sonata swooped down, gliding like a bat down to the thoroughfare Sunset was standing in. Sunset took an involuntary step back, but recovered quickly, and tried to control the trembling threatening to take over her body.

“Don’t worry,” Sonata said, half laughing.

Sunset immediately made a concerted effort to stop her legs from moving, wondering if Sonata had noticed her backing away.

“Isn’t this wonderful?” Sonata asked, looking around.

Sunset hesitated. “W-What is?” she asked, forcing herself to speak as the silence drew on.

Sonata laughed. Sunset wanted to cry at the sound of it. It was the same laugh, the exact same laugh that Sonata always used when full of cheer and nonsense. To hear it now, in her present state... It bit into Sunset’s picture of her like fire over dry paper.

“I can change this,” Sonata said eagerly, her voice trembling with glee. “I can change everything. You don’t have to bare this new Equestria anymore,” she went on with distaste. “I can make it like it was! I’ve thought it all out. I’ll make the Roamans leave. They’ll go home, and bring back Princess Celestia. I’ll put Equestria back together, and everything can go back to the way you knew it!”

She grinned at Sunset, certainty and excitement etched into her face.

Sunset stared back, filled with a burning sense of dread.

“Sonata...” she breathed.

“It’s no problem, really,” Sonata went on, looking around at the mesmerised ponies. She hovered over to a Roaman and lifted their head by the chin. “They love me. I can ask them to do anything.” Taking the pony’s head in both hooves, she turned it from side to side, looking idly into the contours and features of the face.

“They’ll do anything I ask them to,” she went on. “Go anywhere, say anything. They’d even kill for me if I asked them to.”

Sunset saw her hooves press against the sides of the soldier’s helmet.

“Sonata!” she said again, more urgently.

“Hm?” Sonata asked, looking around.

“Please, Sonata. Just stop this. This isn’t right.”

Sonata raised her eyebrows. Then she smiled, and swept back to Sunset.

“Silly Shimmy,” she giggled, sending a fresh pang through Sunset’s guts. “Don’t you see? I can make everything right again. Just the way you want it! Don’t you want Equestria how it used to be?”

“W-Well,” Sunset stammered. “Yes, I-I suppose—“

“I promise you, I can do it! I know I can. There’s enough negative energy in Equestria to make everypony hear me. I’ll make them see that your way is right.”

“My way?” Sunset asked.

“Of course,” Sonata chuckled. “I want you to be happy. I’ll do it. I’ll make you happy again.”

“Sonata, this doesn’t make me happy.”

Sonata paused, her smile fading. Then it came back just as fast.

“You don’t believe me,” she said, chuckling. “I’ll show you—“

“Sonata, you’re letting the pendant take control,” Sunset said quickly. “It’s affecting your mind. You’d never do this if you—“

Sunset stopped. The revelation of Sonata’s actions came abruptly back to her, and suddenly she wasn’t so sure. Was the pendant affecting her mind? Or was it simply making her become intoxicated with power? Carrying her away with desires that she’d always had, but had not before the power to affect.

“I... I know I was wrong,” Sonata said, bowing her head slightly. “But don’t you see? I’m trying to make it right! I promise you, I can! Don’t you want to see Princess Celestia again? Equestria like it was when you knew it? I’ll make it all happen. No matter what it takes, I’ll do it. I’d do anything for you.” She floating closer, reaching out a tentative hoof. “I love you.”

Sunset stared at the outstretched hoof for a moment or two. She bit her lip, her eyes tearing up.

“Anything?” she rasped.

“Of course!” Sonata cried, her smile returning in full force. “I mean it. I love—“

“Would you kill somepony?”

Sonata stopped. Her smile slowly faded into a strange look, quite alien to Sonata’s face. It took Sunset a moment to realise it was shrewdness.

“If you asked me to? Yes.” She frowned. “Why are you crying?”

“Sonata, please,” Sunset begged, her voice trembling. “Please, just stop. I don’t want this, I just want you to stop. Let’s leave and—“

“I don’t understand,” Sonata said, shaking her head. “Why don’t you want me to change it? You hate how things are. You told me, you want things back how they were.”

“Yes, I do!” Sunset said earnestly, her voice rising in pitch. “But not like this. Not when it means you give yourself over like this! Sonata, we’re trying to get it off you! Don’t you remember what it was like back when you first—”

“I know that!” Sonata roared.

A silence fell between them. Sonata blinked, and then looked away. She cleared her throat as Sunset tried once again to control he renewed trembling in her legs.

“I know we’re trying to get it off me,” Sonata said, forcing her voice back to calm. “But come on! Whilst I have it, why shouldn’t I use it? Look, I’m sorry for what I did to you, I really am. But I can change things now!”

“Sonata, don’t you see what this thing is doing to you?” Sunset asked desperately. “You just told me that you’d kill if I asked you to!”

“And I would,” Sonata said flatly.

An icy blade cut its way into Sunset’s heart, sending a sudden pounding into her ears.

“You don’t mean that,” she said tremulously.

“I said I’d do anything,” Sonata went on, darkly. “You mean more to me than anything. I wouldn’t be alive if you hadn’t been there for me. You think I wouldn’t kill for someone as important to me as you?”

She turned back to the Roaman sitting placidly nearby. Sunset’s heart leapt into her throat as Sonata floated back over to him.

“Wait, what are you—“

“I’ll prove it to you,” Sonata said, still in the same cold tone. She reached out both hooves intently towards the soldier.

“Sonata, stop!” Sunset cried. “Don’t do anything to him!”

Sonata didn’t even pause. She took hold of the pony’s helmet.

Stop!” Sunset screamed. Without actively thinking it, she called upon her magic. She felt the phantom presence of the pain she’d felt earlier, and immediately her well-honed mind instinctively switched to the only magic that she knew would work.

It was perhaps lucky that she wasn’t trying to perform a terribly complex spell. The instructions Script had given her suddenly burned with clarity in her mind, and she fell through the steps as though she’d practised just the day before. A blast of bright, turquoise energy erupted from her horn, glowing brighter, and hotter than it should. And, to her astonishment, there they were; the little incomprehensible runes that surrounded Script’s magic when he called upon this same power.

Sonata turned back, confused, as the bright light began to dazzle her. Then she disappeared in a blast of ferocious force.

Sunset collapsed to her knees, gasping. Whether she’d not performed the magic well, or if such powerful magic naturally drained the user this much, she didn’t know, but she felt as though somepony had been driving over her lungs with the Flim Flam Brother’s ridiculous vehicle.

The building in front of her erupted in a blast of kinetic force, an ominous red glow burgeoning from the wreckage, and a dark figure rising out of it.

“You... you attacked me...” Sonata gasped, pushing aside a wooden beam.

“You were going to hurt that guy,” Sunset panted. “Please, Sonata, just stop this and—“

“How could you do that?” Sonata demanded, rising into the air, her eyes brightening with savage intensity. “I’m trying to make you happy!”

“Sonata, this isn’t you!” Sunset shouted, although it cost her. “You can’t see what you’re doing. Stop using the pendant now, before it’s—“

“There they are!”

From a nearby second-storey window came a flash of blue, and suddenly Script appeared in a flash of light next to Sunset.

“LEAVE!” Sonata bellowed. “Both of you, leave, or I’ll make you love me too.”

This last utterance might have sounded nonsensical in any other context, but the manner in which Sonata spat it out gave it a strangely sinister sensation.

“We’re not leaving,” Loyal Stride said firmly, clanking up the street to stand beside Script and Sunset.

“How did you two find us?” Sunset asked.

“Well, fortunately, Dead-Filly here,” he explained, waving a hoof in Sonata’s direction, “hypnotised our company at about the time I came around. Then it was just a matter of following the supernatural floating pony with the creepy gauze wings.” Script waved a hoof. “How could we not find you?”

“I said leave!” Sonata shrieked, glaring at Sunset. “I won’t accept this. Why can’t you just accept that I want to make everything better for you?”

“Oh?” Script asked sharply. “And at what cost?”

Before Sonata could do more than bare her teeth, a sudden explosion behind them drew all of their attentions. The ventnavis still hovering over them had apparently decided to open fire on the town, massive fireballs disgorging from its sides. It seemed that Sonata’s singing hadn’t reached high enough, or penetrated deep enough into the war machine to affect its crew.

“They’re reacting to the loss of contact with ground troops,” Loyal Stride said tensely. “We have to move. They’ll bombard the entire area, raze the town to the ground.”

Sonata turned to give the ventnavis a look of vicious malevolence. With a scream of rage, she drew a massive gulp of air, inflating her lungs as far as they would go.

Even if Sunset had managed to understand exactly what was happening, it would have made no difference. Every one of her senses seemed to be on fire. Her ears throbbed, she screwed her eyes tight shut. The feeling in her legs gave way as the sound overtook her entire being.

Her ears rang as though she’d been thrown back from an explosion. In trying to open her eyes, she immediately shut them tight again as a wave of nausea shot through her gut. As the ringing gave way, she slowly managed to make sense of her surroundings.

“Oh, crap!”

She wished that Script wouldn’t yell like that.

Standing up, she heard thunder rolling above, and looked gingerly up.

The ventnavis listed to one side. For a moment or two, Sunset couldn’t see why, but then she noticed the clouds lightening, literally turning whiter, and whiter. Tiny black forms were flying out of the great machine, as though fleeing. But why?

“She’s disabled the cloud-machine!” Loyal Stride barked.

Sunset felt two, powerful limbs encircle her torso, and suddenly her hooves left the ground. It took a second or two to realise she was being fireman-lifted, moving roughly away from Sonata.

Sonata seemed to be paying them no attention, but was looking up with a malicious grin and the ventnavis’ predicament. Sunset looked back up as well.

The ventnavis groaned like an old ironclad sinking, its huge, metal girders holding it to the clouds seemed to be crumbling. Then Sunset realised what the problem was. The clouds were dissipating; the very force keeping the massive vehicle airborne was vanishing!

Within seconds the front of the ventnavis dipped as the encircling girders fell straight through the thinning cloud. The rest followed not soon after, sending the great machine crashing in what seemed to Sunset like slow motion, to the ground below.

Sunset instinctively closed her eyes, expecting an explosion, but none came. A terrible grinding, like a thousand cars all being compacted at once, rang across the land, followed incongruently by the sound of torrents of water roaring. Sunset opened her eyes just in time to see just what was happening. The crippled form of the ventnavis had struck the desert plane beyond the farthest buildings, but a massive wave of foaming water was surging downwards into the basin of the town.

“Script!” Loyal Stride bawled. “Lets go! We can’t do anything now!”

“We’re not leaving without Old Red-Eye, here,” Script said grimly, staring up at Sonata, his green eyes glittering.

Loyal Stride skidded to a halt. As he and Script stood there, the waters rushed in; a shallow skin washing out into the crevices of the street, staining the earth dark red.

“What do you expect us to do?” Loyal Stride demanded angrily, one eye on Sonata.

“You,” Sonata said, turning back around. The cruel smile around her mouth receded into a grimace of loathing. Her glowing eyes fixed onto Script. “You turned her against me. This is all your fault.”

“You have no idea how happy that would make me right now, were it actually true,” Script replied, his lip curling. “Sad to say, however, you’ve brought everything you’re getting, and everything I’m going to do to you, upon yourself.”

Sonata growled. A low, rumbling sound deep in her throat that sounded unnaturally predatory for a pony. Almost reptilian.

“You’re a little thing to me now,” Sonata said, low and serious. “I don’t want you to love me. I’ll make you go away, and then we’ll be happy again.”

She drew in a swift breath.

“Sonata, don’t!” Sunset screamed, realising what she was about to do. Too late! Sonata opened her mouth, and thrust her head forward. A barrage of sound that seemed to quaver the air itself blasted downwards exactly where Script had been standing, gauging a channel in the compacted soil and sending splatters of mud across the nearby storefronts.

Sonata let out a curse when she noticed the lack of dead Roaman, and then cried out in outrage as she was blasted sideways by a baby-blue bolt of magical energy. Gliding around with the momentum of the blast, she let out another harsh note, shattering the windows of a hater’s shop. Script disappeared again, reappearing to Sonata’s left, but she was wise to him now. She swooped upwards, and everypony watching shut their eyes involuntarily as the evening sunlight dazzled them with an orange radiance, the clouds above burning away without the ventnavis to replenish them.

“Damnit!” Script exclaimed, running to one side with his eyes tight shut in an effort to avoid whatever Sonata was planning, but to no avail.

Sunset blinked the brightness from her eyes, and looked up just in time to see Script get knocked sideways through the wall of the saloon by a massive fish tail.

Sonata landed heavily in the middle of the street. Still slightly dazzled by the sunlight, Sunset could only make out a large shadow surrounded by the gold and orange of evening, rapidly shrinking.

“Sonata!” Sunset cried. Slipping off of Loyal Stride’s back, she galloped back. “Please, I’m begging you to stop!”

“Why!?” Sonata spat, pausing as she advanced on the saloon. “He’s lied to you! They’re all lying! This horrible world is making you hate me!”

“No pony has lied to me,” Sunset retorted. “No pony but you. The one pony I thought would never lie to me.”

Sonata’s demonic scowl softened. The sharp fangs Sunset had barely noticed protruding down from her lips receded, and her glowing red eyes widened. She took a single step away from the hole in the saloon, and then seemed to hesitate.

“It... it wasn’t like that,” she said quietly.

“You lied,” Sunset said again. “You lied to us. Script is right; you’ve brought everything on yourself.”

“Sunset, please, I didn’t mean to do it!” Sonata pleaded. “I-It just sort of happened. I was scared of what I’d do if—“

“You’re doing it now!” Sunset cried, staring directly into Sonata’s eyes. “Why can’t you see what you’re doing?”

Sonata’s wide eyes began to dim, the red fading. Tears welled up and spilled over her cheeks as she looked around at the devastation she’d caused. Looking back at Sunset, she trotted hastily forward. “I love you!” she said in a desperate whisper, looking beseechingly into Sunset’s face.

Sunset stared back, unable to reply. She saw real fear grow in Sonata’s suddenly trembling lip and unblinking eyes.

“You love me too, right?” Sonata asked hopelessly. “Please, Sunset. P-Please just say it!”

A long pause followed, during which they both stared unblinkingly at each other. Eventually, with what seemed like a great effort, Sunset managed to open her mouth. The hinge of her jaw felt worn and aching.

“I...”

It was all she could manage. After a few more seconds, she closed her mouth, and dropped her gaze to the ground.

“No...” Sonata squeaked, backing away. “Please, Celestia no.” She took a shaky step back towards Sunset. “Please say it. You’re the only thing I have left! There’s nothing in this entire world, only you. Please say that you love me too!”

Sunset couldn’t look at her. Blinking back tears, she held in a sniff.

“I... I can’t...” she muttered thickly.

For a moment or two, it seemed to Sunset at least as though time had frozen over. An unnatural silence fell all around them, as though the rest of the world were just fantasy, and the only things that were real were herself, and Sonata.

As fast as the illusion had come, it broke. Sonata’s legs gave way beneath her, tears pouring down her face. Sunset might well have liked to do the same, but she didn’t think that she could summon the energy even to collapse into misery.

“You don’t mean that,” Sonata sobbed, shaking her head jerkily. “I don’t believe you. Y-You’re kind, and s-smart, and beautiful. You s-s-saved me from being alone. Without you I... I...”

Sunset said nothing, but simply stood there, not really conscious of whatever she was doing. She didn’t know whether what she was doing, what she was saying, whether these decisions were the right ones or not. All she knew was that it was all she could have done. But that didn’t make it any more bearable.

Engrossed in shock, she didn’t notice the glow of the pendant until it began to make her eyes sting from the brightness. Looking up, she noticed with a thrill of horror the cloud of green mist swirling into the pendant. A thick, glittering green mist, coming from... herself!

“I won’t let it end,” Sonata said, her voice hardening. “I can’t.”

Sunset took several steps back as the glow spread back to Sonata’s eyes. The siren rose as her wings re-spread, the tears on her face burning away in the intensity of the light.

“If you can’t say it yourself,” Sonata said, trembling, “then I’ll make you say it.”

“Sonata...” Sunset sobbed.

“I won’t lose you,” Sonata said darkly. “I can’t.”

“Sonata, you can’t...”

Sonata said nothing more, but raised her head, and once again drew in a deep breath.

Sunset’s panicked mind automatically summoned the threadbare knowledge of the alicorn magic. She had to do something, stop Sonata now. She could blast her again, or make a shield. Neither would permanently stop her, and anything more complicated was likely beyond her at present. Her experience using this magic was simply too fledgling. All she could do was stare, rooted to the ground, as Sonata rose over her, preparing to rob her of her mind and impose a happy fantasy upon them all. For a moment, Sunset considered just letting her. It had to feel better than how she felt right now.

Sonata opened her mouth a final time.


CLANG!


Not the sound Sunset had been expecting.

Sonata vanished, only to reappear a few feet away in the mud. Sunset stared, uncomprehendingly, and then looked left as she heard the shifting of broken wood.

“Stupid... damn... fish-faced...”

Script emerged by degrees, his forehead bleeding but his horn glowing, and his eyes fixed unforgivingly on Sonata. For a moment or two Sunset couldn’t see what Script could have done, until Sonata pushed herself up out of the gooey soil. Before she could stand, a large, round piece of metal that Sunset recognised as the saloon’s sign crashed down like a giant shoe crushing a bug. It struck the back of Sonata’s head with a loud clanging and crunching sound, crushing her back into the mud.

“It’s lucky... that you can’t... can’t die,” Script groaned, limping out of the hole. “Lucky for me. I can just keep—


CLANG!


“—hitting you—“


CLANG!


“—again... and again—“


CLANG!


“—until you stay... down!”


CLANG!


“Stop it!” Sonata screeched.

The metal sign blasted out of its aura, wedging into the side of a nearby florist’s. Face all bloody and twisted, Sonata bore clumsily down on Script.

“Knock her out!” Script shouted. “It’s the only— GRAUGH!

“I’ll kill you!” Sonata snarled, pinning Script against a wooden wall. “I’ll kill you all!”

And she might have started doing so. Except that for the sixth time, there came a loud crunching sound, as a wooden wagon crashed over her back, breaking into spars. Sonata crumpled to the floor, noticeably dazed. She looked up, groaning, her injuries healing visibly on her head and back.

She and Sunset stared at each other, Sonata splattered in mud and blood, Sunset visibly trembling, whether from emotion or the strain of the powerful magic, it was hard to say. Sonata’s eyes moved slowly upwards to the saloon sign, dented and tarnished, in its turquoise magical aura.

Sunset said nothing. With difficulty she swallowed; it was hard with her throat as tight as it was. For a moment, all she could do was stare into Sonata’s unfocused eyes, which had unhelpfully returned to their usual magenta colour, the red glow about them and the stone dimming to a barely visible shadow in the vanishing radiance of the evening sun.

“I’ve messed up...” Sonata said faintly, dropping her gaze. “I’ve messed up everything.”


Sunset later found that she had little recollection of what happened after this point. She remembered staring down for a long while, simply watching Sonata’s prone, unmoving body lying in the mud. Without its owner conscious to act through, the stone about her throat had dimmed down to a plain-looking chunk of red rock, apparently harmless. Likewise her wings had dissipated like smoke on the wind, and the glow in her eyes vanished utterly.

She had a faint memory of ponies all around her moving, but they were as moving backgrounds in a play; flat and inexpressive in Sunset’s shrunken world. If any of them tried to talk to or interact with her, she had ignored them.

The next thing she was tolerably sure of remembering was of flying. Strange as the thought of it was, however, she had been inclined at the time to think it only a dream; a refuge for her exhausted and tormented mind to dwell in before she had to think of the real world again. All around her was the velvety purple of night, with Luna’s moon and stars twinkling like pieces of crystal in the deep satin of the sky.

She could have done without the wind whistling in her aching ears, though. Or the coldness. Or the voices calling out all around her. Loud, brisk voices like those of soldiers issuing orders. She’d had enough of soldiers for one lifetime...


Sunset pressed her face into the pillow warm against her cheek. She could feel a slight chill around her, but the bed was cosy and the blankets thick.

She smiled as her mind ground back into action, remembering the nightmare she’d had. Strange what lurks in one’s own mind. She supposed that she had some deep, potentially repressed memories and urges about her homeland. She had to wonder whether it was worth talking to Sonata about, since she’d been a big part of the whole unpleasant imagining.

No, she thought sluggishly. It’d just be weird. I don’t want to upset her. Perhaps I’ll just talk to the others at Sugarcube Corner later.

After a few moments, she scowled into the pillow and groaned deep in her throat.

Who the hell is talking right outside the window? she thought irritably. Then she wondered if maybe she’d overslept. But no, that couldn’t be; it was still dark. So who was talking outside the house in the middle of the night?

Then a thought occurred to her.

What if it’s someone trying to break in?

She pushed herself up out of bed, and then instantly fell out, landing painfully on the floor. For some reason she couldn’t feel her hands.

“What the—“ she began in a muffled voice, her face flat against the cold, crystal floor.

Crystal floor? she thought. The bedroom didn’t have a crystal floor.

A door opened somewhere nearby, and the sound of clip-clopping hooves made their way quickly in.

“Hah!” said a loud, raspy voice. “Nice to see I’m not the only one who sleeps like that.”

“R-Rainbow Dash?” Sunset mumbled, pushing herself up. “What are you doing in my house?”

“Your house?” Rainbow’s voice asked, half-laughing. “I think someone’s woken up on the wrong side of the floor.”

Sunset pressed her eyes hard together, trying to blink the sleep out of them as she felt someone helping her back into the bed.

“You shouldn’t push yourself. You’ve been through a lot recently.”

Sunset’s heart skipped a beat. Her eyes snapped open, and she got a good look at the room that she was in for the first time. She recognised none of it. But she did recognise two of the ponies in it.

Rainbow Dash, her hair wilder and somehow harsher than she’d ever seen it before, for some reason she was wearing iron-grey and purple armour with a crescent moon crest. One of her ears was a little torn looking, like an alley-cats, and her eyes had a hard, shiny look to them that immediately reminded her of the Flim-Flam Brothers when she’d met them in Dragon’s Den. She grinned at Sunset with that cocky half-smile Sunset remembered her human self frequently employ, but with the addition of unnaturally sharp teeth.

Next to her, however, was the pony making Sunset stare open-mouthed.

“Hello Sunset,” Twilight said, her face melting into a slightly watery smile.

“Twilight...” Sunset said weakly. “You’re here. Err, I’m here... um...”

She looked around at the unfamiliar surroundings; she suddenly realised that she had no idea where she was.

“It’s okay, Sunset,” Twilight said, kindly, pushing her gently back down onto the bed. “You’re safe now. I know you’ve been through a lot lately, so just rest. And may I be the first to say, welcome to Last Light.”


- To be Continued