• Published 12th Jul 2015
  • 2,298 Views, 38 Comments

The End of The Long Road - Cobalt the Kitsune



After spending the last three thousand years wanting the world, a rouge alicorn finally returns to Equestria. But what will his reception be like?

  • ...
1
 38
 2,298

The Fox in The Castle

As daylight begins to shine through the tips of the mountains of the Frozen North. The Royal Canterlot train moved through the trough blanket of white that reach for miles and miles, like a bowl of cold milk. Princess Celestia eyed the beauty of it. The snow’s reach kept going and going, like frosting on a cake, with a few crystal cherry's and Buttercream flavored to suit all tastebuds! No focus… said the Sun Princess shaking away any thought of the event she would be missing again. With a sigh, she wondered why when there was cake, something always Important happened?

Snores fill the lantern-lit room disturbing the sweet peace of silence she had hoped would last before making the trip. Turning to the side to see her sleeping siblings brought some sweet memories when their big brother would tuck them in bed at night. He would tell them stories of adventurers and fantasies in faraway places. It was so simple back then before they became rulers, like no studies from Starswirl, no learning how to act like a noble and many other things… If Twilight had read her mind, she would think they had lived on a different planet. Giggling to herself, she looked to Luna has she was trying to hold her brother like a teddy bear, but couldn’t quite reach around him since he was three times bigger than she was.

Having forgotten what it was like to hear her brother snore, It was a surprise to her. With how long it's been since that day he left them with a kingdom… she didn't even think to recall anything about him. After she and Luna defeated Discord and other villains all those years ago... it was almost like he never existed

‘Oh Cobalt..’ she looked to his sleeping form as he was drooling on Luna’s mane. There are many questions that she wanted to him to answer after all these years, but most of all. ‘Why didn’t you come back sooner?’

After getting out of the tangled mess of her siblings. She went to fix herself up before raising the sun so that it would glide across the world effortlessly. She didn’t worry about forgetting to move it at all. It was a trick Cobalt had taught her and Luna when they were little. He really knew how to move them smoothly across the sky with no sweat at all. It took her hundreds of years just to master gliding a ball of fire across the sky while Luna crashed the Moon a few times into the ocean… If you ever heard about the sinking of Atlantis, let's just say it was only a meteor that drowned the once great kingdom.

Seeing the sun nearing 8am, she knew pretty soon they will be nearing The Crystal Empire in an hour. Celestia yawned as she brushed out her ethereal “Come on you two slug-a-beds.” She said to her brother and sister. “I sent a letter to Cadence, she’ll be expecting us soon.”

The two made small movements, but made no sign of truly getting up. She sighed, then thinking on what she could do to get them up... Smirking, Celestia used her magic to open one of the windows next to her. Snatching two snowballs out of a nearby bank which she then threw onto her sleeping siblings.

Feeling the impact, as well the sudden cold, Luna jumped like a startled cat and accidentally crashed through the roof of the car. “W-Was that really necessary?” Luna asked feeling cold from the impact and now outside, she looked down at her sister though the hole she had created.

“Well, It got the job done.” Celestia said with a smirk, before turning to see that the snowball had hardly affected Cobalt. “Well...for one of you at least” She added as Cobalt turned over onto his belly with his head falling back with his drool dripping on the Royal Carpet flooring. Noticing Luna was back inside, she was sneaking up to him with bucket of… No she wouldn’t… But then again, when was the last time they had to wake him up by force and pay him back for all those pranks he had pulled on them when they were little?

Celestia nodded her approval and Luna gently used her magic to glide the bucket above their dear brothers belly. Knowing fully well if they pull this off, there is no way of getting out of the car, or even teleporting out in time. With one more look at each other, they nodded in agreement knowing this might be their last day of their lives.

If someone were listening to what was going on in the royal car, they might have thought they heard the Princesses torturing some sort of animal, considering the high pitched yipping that came next.

--- --- ---

Cobalt licked at his coat as he tried to get it clean. ‘I didn’t deserve this... did I?’ He thought to himself. He started himself down in a reflection of one of the trains metallic surfaces. Nothing seemed to out of place... Of course, he didn’t notice that the tip of his tale was still a shade of periwinkle. Being sure he was done, he thought to himself that everything was once again right in the world. He didn't even notice the staring ponies that begin to giggle, not really caring to know what’s funny he continued to head back to his sisters. As he came back into the Royal car, he could see that his sisters were only looking down at their hooves. “What’s wrong?” Cobalt asked cocking his head. “I’d thought you two would be in hysterics after that.”

“I-I’m sorry brother.” Luna said apologetically. “We did laugh for a minute...but seeing how upset it made you...We realized it really wasn’t that funny...” Celestia nodded in agreement with her sister.

“Hey, no harm done.” Cobalt said, giving his little sisters an encouraging smile. He looked out the window to see the snowflake of the Crystal city in the distance. The sight of it made him smile. It was his first stop of his journey, and the Crystal ponies had been more than hospitable. Perhaps it was their Crystal Heart, and The Castle that acted like a beacon of warmth and love in a cold world, but he never found a more caring or gentle people. Thinking about how they had fallen into the hands of the despot Sombra...it still made him feel angry and, to a lesser extent, useless.

The conductor soon called out the stop for The Crystal Empire, and Luna remember what their party lacked. “Has Anyone seen Twilight?”

“I hope she didn’t spend all night out on the back platform.” Cobalt said as he got up and trotting out of the royal car again. “I’ll go look for her.”

His quick search of the train ended up with finding the lavender princess curled up and shivering on the caboose’s platform. “Oh dear...” He said before helping her up and putting a wing around her for warmth. “Are you okay? We didn’t mean to leave you out here.”

“I-I-It’s fine.” Twilight said with chattering teeth, “The door locked b-b-behind you...I-I’m sure you didn’t notice.”

“Still it was wrong of us to leave you like that. Here-” His horn glowed for a moment, and so did Twilight's body. The magic was tingly, but left her feeling warm and comfortable. “That’s a warming spell I picked up during my travels. You wouldn’t believe how many uses it has.”

“Thanks,” She said as the magic aura around her dissipated and she was left a little numb. “I think I might have read about it before...but perhaps you can show me sometime.”

Cobalt smiled and lead her off the train and towards his sisters. “After all you’ve offered to let me talk to you about my feelings whenever. It’s the least I can do.”

“Come on lovebirds.” Celestia prompted teasingly. “Best not keep Cadence waiting.”

Cobalt sighed but smiled as he followed his sisters. The paths were familiar to him and not much had changed since he last visited. Well except maybe the large crystal statue of a small dragon holding The Crystal Heart. ‘Huh… I never seen or heard of Dragons being here… I have to ask about this.’

“What’s the story behind this.” Cobalt said gesturing to it, a look of confusion coming across his face.

“Oh, that.” Twilight said before giggling a little. “Spike, my baby dragon assistant is kind of the Hero of the crystal ponies.”

“What for?” Cobalt asked, before a mob of crystal ponies gathered around him to explain.

“Spike, The Brave and Glorious, has saved The Crystal Empire twice over!” Explained one wide eyed pony, who seemed so enraptured in telling the story that she didn’t even notice she was talking to an unfamiliar alicorn. “First he returned the Crystal Heart to us in our time of dire need!”

“Then he saved us again during the Equestrian Games!” A little one said.

“Don’t forget the time he helped us make friends with a Changeling.” Another called out, making Cobalt’s head spin as he looked to who was speaking.

“Friends with a what now?” He said, ending up looking very confused.

“I’m sure he’ll tell you all about it when you meet him.” Twilight said as she started leading him through the crowd of earth ponies. “But that’s not why we’re here.”

Pressing on, they soon made it to the Castle Plaza, the center of the snowflake, the streets of the city made with the Castle spire rising high into the sky. At the base of it was the Crystal Heart, which shined with great light of warmth, moving slowly in a rotating motion. Near it where two stallions waiting. One had brilliant gamboge with light apple greenish spots coat and the mane being vivid and brilliant vermilion. He was also wearing wizard's robes with glasses near the tip of his nose. The other pony had a light grey coat with a sapphire blue mane with a few cerulean streaks. He was also wearing purple armor, making his status as Captain of the Royal Guard.

“Shining!” Twilight called out as she galloped up to the Captain and wrapped him in a hug. “It’s been so long since seeing you.” Noticing that someone was missing, she asked. “Where's Cadence?”

“Don’t worry, she is taking care of the baby.” Said the Captain as he broke from the embrace. He was always glad to see his sister but...

“Honestly when we heard you were coming such short notice, we worried that something might have gone wrong.” The other pony interrupted as he tapped his hoof nervously and pushing his glasses back into position before they fell off the end of his muzzle. Cobalt thought he looked like a young Starswirl. The socialistic disposition, the long beard off of his chin, it was old Starswirl back alive again. Remembering back in the days, he would call the old bearded wizard ‘The Bearded Book of Knowledge!’ This made him chuckle heartily.

“May I ask what's so funny?” Shining asked to the unknown stallion, looking him up and down sternly.

“Stand down Captain. There is no need to treat him coldly” Celestia said, to her Captain of the Guard. The authoritative tone triggered something in the former guard, causing him to shiver a bit. “After all...” She said her tone becoming warmer. “He is mine and Luna’s brother.”

Both of stallions were absolutely shocked. “I-I didn’t know you had one.” The stunned guardsmen stammered out.

“Neither did I...” Said the other pony writing his glasses of the bridge of his muzzle again “I mean in all the Histories of Equestria I’ve read, there wasn’t the slightest mention of..”

“Because I didn’t want anyone to remember me.” Cobalt admitted. “Still, It’s nice to see that we still have scholar's that appreciate Equestrian History. I’d be happy to fill in some of holes in between the lines sometime, Mr...?”

“S-sunburst.” He replied smiling shakily with nervousness.

“The name is Cobalt.” Cobalt reply, having his hoof out in a friendly gesture.

“I-I’ll look forward to it Prince Cobalt.” As Sunburst bowed down to him.

Cobalt stepping back in a wild surprise look. “No, I’m not a Prince anymore!” Speaking in a high fox voice. He rub the back of his head smiling nervously In embarrassment. “It’s just Cobalt. No need to bow down to me...” The others were looking at him with a funny look, thinking he just sounded like a fox. His sisters were glancing at each other, concerned.

If Fluttershy were to hear him, she might had believed that he was an actual fox’ Twilight thought as she looked to Cobalt with a small smile, ‘It might be funny for his sisters to see him being treated like Fluttershy treats a sweet little animal’. She laughed at the thought for a moment, but she knew they should move on before more awkwardness happens.

Clearing her throat to catch Shining’s attention. “Hey Big Brother, can we see Cadence now? We want to talk with her about a problem that has come up recently. And no it’s not Cobalt.” Twilight added seeing how he seem to be sizing him up. “It’s very urgent.”

Shining didn’t catch all of what her sister said, but he did catch her expression. ‘Oh dear, I know that look. It’s always the look she gives me when there's a problem. Glad I’m taking this seriously now or I could have had made the biggest mistake in all of Equestria… What did she say again… Big problem, need Cadence and Cobalt is the problem?’ Glancing back to the Male Alicorn in question, he was a head taller than Princess Celestia for sure, and his build seemed to be fit for either a warrior or a traveler... ‘I better stay near him to protect the others, I can’t make the same mistake again. No one is going to get brainwashed and being turn into food on my watch.’

Remembering that Cadence was taking care of Flurry Heart at the moment, Shining tried thinking up some way to stall the group, so this mysterious Alicorn couldn’t get the chance to harm his daughter. ‘Hmm… She wanted to put Flurry to sleep before seeing the Princesses. What time is it?’ The captain looked across the plaza to spot a clock tower nearby, it was nearing 10am. ‘Ok we got 10 to 15 minutes before Flurry will be asleep. I can’t risk an enemy nearing my daughter, I will give a tour and have Sunburst lead while I interrogate the guest a bit.’

“Sorry Twily,” Shining said, trying to remain as casual as possible and not tip Cobalt off about his suspicions. “Cadence wanted to have Flurry asleep before seeing everypony. Since it’s nearing Flurry’s naptime. How about a little tour of the castle, before seeing Cadence?”

“That sounds lovely.” Cobalt said with a weak smile. “I haven’t visited since before King Sombra took over, and a tour would be a lovely way to get reaquainted with the place.”

“Well, I’m sure Sunburst will be able to give quite the insightful commentary while we walk.” Shining said nodding to his crystaller.

“Well yes of course, I’d be happy to!” Sunburst said, honored to be called upon to help in any capacity. “I guess where we’re standing is a great place to start. This palaza not only houses the Crystal Heart as you can see, but acts as a gathering place for most public events.”

As Sunburst went on, Shining trotted over to Cobalt. “So Cobalt...” He started as he tried to think of questions that wouldn’t tip Cobalt off. “So why exactly did you come back?”

“Well, I guess I wanting to see my family again.” Cobalt said, trying to be as kind and as reasonable as he can. He didn’t need to go around making enemies here. “You can understand that right? You and your sister seem really close.”

“Yes I can understand that.” Nodding to the Alicorn. He understood of importance of family. “Twilight and I are very close, even though we both live farway, in different castles. I always find the time to spend with my little sister. Even if we haven’t seen each other for quite some time.”

Twilight heard her brothers remark and glance back with a smile. Cobalt felt that it might have been Insult, but sadly thinking... he hasn’t been very close to his sisters at all since 3,000 years ago… ‘I hope I can be as close to my sisters, as they are to each other...’

As Sunburst lead them through the tour on history and trivia of the castle Shining notice that they were falling a bit behind the others. Turning to ask him another question. He notice the Male Alicorn frown a bit. “Hey… Is something wrong?”

Snapping out of his headspace, he looked to see who was talking. “Sorry Captain, just thoughts and memories. Umm…” He hoped to change the subject, “What were you going to ask?”

“Well, I was going to ask,” Shining continued, not paying much mind to what he had said. “Why exactly did you have such a strong objection to being called a Prince.”

Cobalt have a small, uncomfortable laugh. “Because I’m not one. I abandoned that title when I abandoned Equestria. Also...” He paused as he looked about all the luxuries that The Crystal Castle was filled with. “I was never comfortable with that title to begin with... The concept elevating yourself above other ponies... there’s something in my nature that make me viscerally opposed to the idea of such the thing.”

Shining was surprised, and not really sure how to interpret this. It seemed that he was against the idea of aristocracy all together, was he here to try and convince his sisters not to be royalty anymore? Or was he just humble and truly thought he was no better than anypony else?

He’d have to think on this more, but later. There’s still was other questions that need answering. “But why leave? You could have still done good work here, protecting the good people of Equestria.” He demanded with a struness of a military commander.

Cobalt hung his head and thought deeply for a moment. “I dunno...when I left I didn’t perceive any threat towards Equestria. Well, except maybe the bigoted attitudes some members of the three tribes still had towards each other. Now I see that...that perhaps my power acted as a deterrent to outside forces...Had to think of myself as that intimidating though.”

“What exactly is your power?” Shining asked, with bated breath. Knowing this would greatly help him in creating a strategy against this rogue Alicorn.

“Well I can controll the weather, whip up a decently powerful storm in a blink,” Cobalt said, starting to think that perhaps Shining's questions weren’t all they first appeared to be. “But I don’t know how that has to relate to anything.”

“I just don’t see how you ever thought it was a good idea to leave your two young sisters in charge of such a large country!” Shining said defensively. While the company were a bit further away, they were starting to hear a commotion behind them.

“Are you saying they can’t handle themselves?!” Cobalt retorted loudly, catching the group's attention. Their discussion was becoming heated, the Princesses and Sunburst grew nervous. What would it look like if they got into a fight here, the epicenter of love and good feelings of all Equestria?

“No,” Shining said, not backing down. “I’m just saying, that even they aren't infallible!” This made the Princesses blush deeply and looked at each other.

At that moment, from behind the large door they were standing in front of, a high pitched crying started up, hurting Cobalt’s sensitive hearing. Shining looked especially panicked at this new development.

“What the fluff is that!” He said as the group covered their ears from the Supersonic Screeching from the other side.

“T-that must be the baby.” Sunburst called out loudly over the crying with a nervous smile before one of the lense in his glasses cracked. “I should really recast that Filly’s Forebarrence spell.”

As he opened the door to the nursery, a pink magic bolt flew right over his head, trimming the top of his hair a little. Everypony ducked as it began to ricochet off the crystal walls of the castle. Cobalt, still crippled by the sound, took the blast full on. The impact was enough to send the full grown stallion flying out of the castle down to the Plaza below...

Comments ( 14 )

Dat ending tho. One thought.

WHEEEEEEE!

EDIT-MORE!!!!!!!

The worst part of this story is that it hasn't been updated in over a year.
Overall, I like it.

Is this story dead? on a cliff hanger?! Seriously!?

8755492
I unfortunately do have the bad habit of leaving projects unfinished. If I was to come back, I would need to catch up on MLP, and then try to get back into the momentum of writing this story.

8757855
:ajbemused: At least you admitted your habit, if you ever feel like catching up on the show it shouldn't be too hard... unless you stopped watching back before chrysalis, then your going to need to pull a few all nighters :derpytongue2:

2 years later..... STILL NO UPDATES :pinkiehappy::pinkiesad2:

8932287
It has better descriptions that my current project.... but a weaker main character I feel... perhaps I should come back to this though...

8932301
I'll get hold of Platinum, I think I have the next chapter mostly written down.

8932287
:ajsmug: Just to gave Yea a hit it’s back :ajsmug:

It's a good story.
now up-date it.

Login or register to comment