• Published 9th Oct 2015
  • 425 Views, 2 Comments

Equestrian Side Stories - LOL3evee



Take a peek into the daily lives of the Equestrian populace.

  • ...
 2
 425

A Blustery Stroll (Princess Celestia)

The air was crisp on Hearth's Warming Eve, and the grey, snow-filled clouds were gathered above Canterlot. All of the technicolor residents were nestled safely away in their homes beside their roaring fireplaces, engaging themselves in the winter holiday's cheerful festivities... all except for one lone alicorn, whose hooves landed gently down on the feathery snow that lay upon the walkway of the once bustling city. Each warm breath from her lungs intruded upon the frozen wintry air; the moist molecules of fresh oxygen freezing upon coming into direct contact with below-zero temperatures and creating a delicate fog that drifted lazily away from the pony. Her brightly colored scarf swirled with the wind as her pastel mane whipped smoothly past her face with the blowing of the gentle breeze.

Princess Celestia lifted her head to look towards the clouds above, which were constantly dropping meticulously crafted snowflakes as the seconds ticked by. She took a deep breath of cold air, relishing the taste of a new winter as the freezing air sent a sharp tingling sensation down her windpipe with each collected breath. The princess held out her brightly colored hoof to catch a single fake of the delicate white substance that drifted down from above. The white mare gazed upon the pure flake as it gently melted away in her warm hoof, studying its intricate patterns as the tiny crystal vanished.

She lifted her head towards the sky; her deep lavender hued eyes closed as she took a deep breath inwards, savoring the taste of the fresh seasonal air.

Time seemed to slow in that moment. The swirling flakes of winter's legacy drifted towards the earth with fine grace as the alicorn's mind calmed immensely, flushing out the stress of a long day's stressful work. The cool rush of air all around her created a smooth, graceful waltz of frozen air that lapped at Celestia's technicolor mane, lifting each lone strand of her flowing apparatus a few centimeters upwards as the calming wind caressed each feathery layer of her ethereal hair.

The slow song of winter rose from the frost-blanketed earth, enrapturing the tall mare with its serene melody. The tiny, elegant snowflakes danced about in the frigid climate, enticing the branches from the snow-covered trees to sway back and forth. The seemingly barren plants sprang to life in that moment, undulating with winter's cool, blustery kisses. A sharp sensation pricked at the tip of Celestia's snout, allowing the cold air to seep into her velvety, white fur and fill her warm body with sheer joy as the wind's tempo picked up speed.

Princess Celestia unfurled her massive, vibrant wings and bent her knees at a sharp angle, pushing her hooves off of the frosty land as she swiftly lifted her bundled body upwards once more. She took to the air, spreading her wings as far as she could in an effort to capture every whisper that winter had to offer. The mare rose higher into the air, frolicking in the open air with a wide, joyous smile adorning her cheeks. She dipped downward for but a moment before giving on graceful flap of her well-preened wings relishing in the cool air that drifted to and fro with winter's rhythmic flow, each jubilant moment granting the white mare greater jubilance in her upbeat, yet tender winter dance.

She whipped her elegant wings to the left side, crossing her rightmost wing over her breast and gently drifting to the right. She dipped downwards once more, rising sharply into the air and spreading her front hooves to embrace the sky above her head in a commanding dance, which beckoned each and every stray flake surrounding her to circle her shimmering body. The wind seemingly sang out as the princess directed the snowfall with fluid, graceful movement, caressing the sky with her feathery wings as the cheerful air belted out gales of frozen melodies that took the nearby tree branches up into their joyous dance. Every asset of winter meshed and drifted to the rhythms winter's seasonal song, complimenting the powerful alicorn leader's movements with tact and moving together in perfect harmony. No longer did the heavens have control of the skies; Celestia was the conductor now.

Celestia twirled among the frozen air, guiding the waiting wind and changing the subtle flow of pure snow. She danced among the clouds for what seemed like an eternity before nature's unadulterated, frosty liveliness died down, leaving Princess Celestia with but a slow, fading breeze of frost-bitten air. Just like that, the feeling was gone. Like the dying kiss of a wounded lover fading into a lonely night, the winter's cheerful spirit had left the royal mare standing in the cold with her soft, fleece-lined winter apparel.

Although winter's melodies had failed to resume, not all liveliness was drained from that moment. Princess Celestia angled her massive wings, which were surprisingly light, and gently flapped. This action alone allowed for a slow, gentle descent. She savored every wisp of icy wind that blew her way as she drifted downwards, smiling contently as winter's cheer sobered in Canterlot's evening air. As the princess reached the welcoming pavement below, the dreary clouds above enveloped the sky, dimming the light of the fading sun.

The princess looked to the sun, smiling warmly as it beckoned its mistress to lower its light in an effort to pave the way for a much needed nighttime cycle. After a long winter's day, the sun's energy above Equestria's segment of the planet was surely exhausted by now, inciting the alicorn to make her way back to the palace and set her cosmic child to rest among the heavens. With a fresh, stress-free mind, Princess Celestia lifted her wings and took to the skies, drifting gently towards her residential tower within the palace. Her love for winter, which had not been roused for 1000 years, was now reignited, and the princess couldn't be happier.

She landed atop her balcony and shed her warm clothes, feeling the silky smooth fabric rub against her fur as she peeled each fabric from her bright, white fur. Celestia trod over to her balcony, with not a shred of longing for the cool wind, as her sprightly dance with winter had fulfilled her desire to feel the cold against her fur once more after 1000 years of winter's lonely absence from her career. The princess gazed over towards her sister's tower, smiling as she saw the deep blue mare plod sleepily out from her towering residence. There was no need to fret now. Luna was safe, and winter was in full-throttle.

As the younger alicorn took notice of her elder sister's presence across the way, she waved, inciting a nod of acknowledgement from the solar princess. Celestia's chest puffed out with pride as her sister beamed, the joy of simply seeing her older sister rippling throughout her facial muscles. The elder mare smiled and looked to the sun. Now that the two sisters could rule in harmony once more, she had no doubts that the future would be bright for both of them. Celestia's horn glowed with a sunny aura as she took up the sun within her loving, magical embrace. For one thousand straight years, raising and lowering the sun had dwindled in novelty, becoming a dreadful chore that only served to remind the princess of her sister's absence.

Now that she had returned, Celestia could finally enjoy her day again. Finally, she was at peace, after 1000 years if sorrow. She lifted her head and beamed at the cosmos, laying the sun to rest among the stars as the Equestrian skies embraced the coming joy of night. No longer was the moon a symbol of fear and regret, but of passion and sisterly love. Once again, Celestia could enjoy the day to night cycle without the guilt of her sister's imprisonment and envy weighing down on both of the royal sister's shoulders. Celestia chuckled softly.

She could already smell breakfast.