• Published 27th May 2012
  • 8,439 Views, 147 Comments

Max Payne Stumbles Into Equestria - CelestialScribe



Our lovably grim Max Payne is sent on a one-way journey to Equestria via bullet express.

  • ...
7
 147
 8,439

Finale: Acceptance

"Max, that was certainly... something," Celestia said as she came down the stairs, the dark pony to her side.

I was leaning against an immaculate pillar, near the centre of the room and on top of the trailing red carpet that lead up the stairs. I had been helped up, but that was about it. I doubted anyone wanted to go near my partially bleeding backside, with their lack of knowledge on human anatomy, for all they knew my pants were inhabited by a swarm of insect life. I couldn't rule it out.

There were guards dotting the perimeter, staring and not staring at the new arrival who just made a complete fool of himself.

"Was it necessary to destroy the sky-roof?" The mare with a gothic-like flowing mane said, to which Celestia amended her sentence, whispering in her ear. "'Sky-light', we mean."

"Not really," I answered simply, and honestly.

She stared at me, annoyed as they trotted ever-closer. There was something about me she hated, but I had become accustomed to people doing that. Meanwhile, Celestia looked at me both emptily and apologetically.

She knew. Twilight had told her.

"Twilight informed us of your arrival... but we hadn't quite expected this," The white princess said.

"You seen the news? There's a lot of reporters out there. Most of which don't seem to mind stepping on royal toes," I said, only then realising they didn't have toes.

"It is frantic out there, as Twilight has said. Forgive me, I have yet to introduce my sister and co-ruler of Equestria, Luna."

Now next to me, I saw how I almost matched their size. Almost. Luna looked skeptically at me and I looked half-heartedly at her. I wasn't sure what she had against me, but I was glad not everyone was sunshine and roses about it.

"You are the human we have heard so much about."

"Yep."

"Pray tell, do you like Equestria?"

Saying I had to think about that question would be a lie. While I often had the pessimistic attitude to any and all developments in my life, that was back when I was Max Payne, ex-cop, vigilante and bodyguard. Now I was Max The Human. It was a far more significant title, one that came with a degree of respect and offers of support.

"Yeah."

"I am pleased, for that at least. However, I must admit that I am not impressed by the new immigration policies my sister has put forth. For that is unfortunately all I see you as."

It was better than being known as a murderer, drug-abuser and death incarnate with a strong liking to hard alcohol.

She went on, Celestia seemingly wanting to interrupt, but letting Luna get whatever this was out in the air, so their may be no animosity between us. Unfortunately for her, I was a bit of an asshole.

"That a bad thing?" She ignored it.

"In the old world, it was a privilege of being granted asylum in Equestria. We were not so lenient on newcomers. They had to prove themselves. Frankly, you do not seem all that capable. No horn, wings or muscle. Intelligence may be the one thing that I see fitting for your stay."

"I just fell through a glass roof, I think that says enough about my intelligence."

"Hm, so does humour," She added impassively.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy entered behind us, wordlessly letting the princess continue. I figured they fought off, or avoided the reporters and was allowed access. That meant there'd be a hell of a lot outside, waiting.

"Would you go back if you had the chance?"

"I don't have the chance, do I?"

"No," Celestia stated plainly from behind her sister. "I had my doubts from the very start, but now I am certain. Nowhere is it written that anypony would be able to transport to other universes. Not only would any attempt be a blind stab in the dark, but it would probably leave you floating in space."

She wasn't telling me anything I already knew. Something told me, even if this world of strange possibilities, that a return trip was unlikely. I hadn't even paid for a ticket, why would I get a freebie back home? They looked at me sympathetically, trying to gauge my reaction.

I didn't care, I had and always will have nothing to lose. A blessing and a curse of staying alive.

"No. I wouldn't. You could say I didn't have much going for me back home."

"A reject in your own world, too?" Luna jeered. If only she was verbally assaulting me with something that wasn't true.

"Well, in about three separate states, yeah."

"Any particular reason?"

"I guess they just didn't like my face." She knew I was hiding something, and the bit of anger forming in her lip was enough to amuse me.

"Understandable," She said snarkily. "But you had better be accustomed to honesty from now on. I am certain Applejack can teach you that."

"How about, instead, you all better get used to minding your own business?"

"The right to your privacy has all but been relinquished since your arrival. Your business is our business." She said with a damnable smile.

Everyone was so damn nice all the time, it must have been enjoyable to take out that pent up aggression on the oblivious newcomer. Whereas I could even see resemblance in Celestia to the 'normal' ponies, her sister was different, emotionally at least. She must of thought I feared her authority and the decree that I was never to see another bit of privacy again, and it looked like nobody would defend me, except Celestia.

"Luna, stop," Celestia said in low tones.

She didn't look back at her sister. "Very well, but we are simply stating that there will be continued investigations. You are quite the abnormality."

"Gee, thanks," I murmured.

She softened after this. I didn't know whether it was due to her sister, or my reserved responses.

"What would you say about the ponies here?" Luna asked.

I'd like to say a lot like humans, but I doubted Pink farmed organs and sold them, or Twilight ran a corrupt political campaign. Fluttershy could have been a quiet psychopath though.

"Supportive," I summed up in one word. "Never would have I of thought I'd be smothered by so much unwanted support."

"A side effect of being civil, I'm afraid," She commented sarcastically, but not in an attempt of offending or insulting me, more in the purpose of comedy. She smiled along with it. Already, the one opponent I had in this world seemed accepting of my presence.

I should have been thankful, but I suppose I rather missed some of my enemies, keeping me focused and on a straight path of objective murder. Now that they were gone, it was like having the stabilisers taken off my bike, leaving me swerving into bins and neighbour's gardens.

"So, where do you go from here, human?" She asked, relaxing her stance of authority.

"You tell me. I'm the fresh-off-the-boat immigrant here, remember?"

She scanned me one last time, circling the unassuming prey, but smirked. I heard the large doors open behind me, but didn't turn around to meet who I assumed would be Twilight and the others.

"You impress me human, I must admit," She said. "My judgement, if it counted for anything, would rule in your favour, I assure you." I noticed a bitterness in her voice, staring at a stained glass window. "I suppose this is my way of saying you pass my frivolous test. I shall take my leave now, you are free to go about your business without my hindrance." She nodded her head to me slightly, not at all as majestic as her sister, but volumes deeper in personality.

"Is that a free pass to wreck more 'sky-roofs'?"

"Stay away from the castle, and we won't have a problem. But I am sure my sister will be delighted to cover the costs of your stay, so by all means, free rein."

"Noted." I was going to smash so many sky-roofs. Celestia didn't appear affected as she watched her sister walk past her and up the stairs.

We were left in quiet save for the sounds of the ponies behind us approaching.

"If you don't mind," Celestia started. "I would like to speak with Max in private for a moment."

I turned and saw Twilight nodding slowly, before breaking off with her friends near the exit. Celestia lead me down a hall of blinding white that cut through the ground floor of the castle. There were rooms either side of the seemingly endless corridor, but we entered none of them. There were fancy portraits or bits of expensive... things, I wasn't sure what, dotting the walls.

The old-fashioned walk and talk, like we were negotiating a business deal for my life.

"I apologise for my sister... while she is slowly modernizing, I'm afraid I committed my own regrettable act a while ago that impaired her contemporary standpoint," She looked to the floor, or the left side of the hall, anywhere but my eyes as she ended wistfully.

"You... willing to share?" It was only fair, two people knew my secret, where was I supposed to stand in case of a blackmail? I needed something.

"It is not as if it is a secret... but sometimes I fear others judge me on the event, which they have every right to," She stopped, noticing she was gradually tiptoeing around the subject, and forced herself to tell me. "My sister once, under the influence of something that wasn't her..." I could relate. "...Tried to overthrow me. I banished her to the moon for a thousand years."

Damn. I now had to question who had it harder, me or Luna. My biased opinion gave me the answer, while another pressing matter popped to mind.

"Ponies live for thousands of years?"

She laughed lightly, and in a shot it was over, before continuing. "If only... no, only us royals have that 'privilege'. Some even state that we're immortal," She sighed.

"I can't imagine a worse hell." And for what felt like the first time, I spoke truthfully. Day in and day out, knowing there's no touching embrace from his bony hand, being forced to live, with only the memories of others to sustain you. It was like my worst nightmare: having nothing to live for, yet being kept alive by some kind of sick deity.

"Do human leaders not rule that long?" She asked.

"They're lucky if they get four years. As far as age, about thirty more years on me and you snuff it."

A thousand years of torture. I had some catching up to do. I can see why someone would be bitter due to that, I'd be concerned for their mental state if they weren't.

"Twilight told me about your family."

"Yeah... I guessed as much."

"I haven't the faintest idea of how to come to terms with it, let alone help you with it. Things like you described to Twilight are just simply unheard of in Equestria. And it sounds disturbingly common in your world."

"Nope. Just... me. Don't worry about help, I've had enough of that through the final droplets of a glass. You could almost say I'm over it." It would be a lie, but you could say it.

"I fail to see how one would simply be able to 'get over' something like that," She said sternly. She sure knew how to spot dishonesty. Not even a thousand years would be able to wipe a slate that dirty.

"Suppose I'm an emotionless shell then. No one's going to scold me for it."

"I can't help but notice... that sounded inadvertently aimed at myself." It only took a second to realise she was right. "Searching for a form of retribution? Twilight told me you felt guilty, like you hadn't paid the price."

We stopped and turned at the end, on the way back to the main hall. Blissful silence from both of us.

"Courageous, aren't you? Just to jump through our roof like that."

Fear is for those who have something to lose besides their life.

"I'd tell you I'll cover the costs, but I won't. I've got about ten-or-so golden coins left," I said.

"Bits."

"Huh?"

"The currency is 'bits'," She reiterated.

It wasn't quite the most important topic, but anything to kill the walk back's length. "It's simple, I'll give you that. Couldn't come up with anything better?"

"I wanted 'Cells' before Luna was banished. Luna wanted... 'Lunars'. At least mine wasn't so blatantly inclined towards myself," She thought about it fondly, my depressing aura being removed by nostalgia. "I settled for whatever the people wanted until she came back. Turns out they weren't very imaginative at the time."

Funny, if I was ever walking next to somebody who held this much power back on Earth I'd probably be restrained in a chair with a straight-jacket and mouth-guard. Though, I did half-expect the world to recognise me for vigilante escapades that didn't seep into much public focus, I wasn't as popular as I believed.

"I can offer financial support through Twilight and rights as a citizen of Equestria. From there, you choose your own path," She said abruptly.

Hooray, because governing my own actions never steered me wrong before. The price of giving freedom to an idiot psychopath. I remained indifferent.

"I would like Twilight to continue her study of you, but it is not a crucial matter and will be compiled for review periodically."

The noiselessness lasted until Celestia thought of yet another matter that needed attending to.

"I understand you have a drug problem?"

"Good thing you reminded me, it's been a while."

"I can't judge you, Max, not after your story, and I can certainly understand why painkillers may be helpful, but professional help is available. Pinkie managed to cut down her parties a day from seven to four."

I couldn't tell whether she was serious or not originally, but a character like Pink, I'm sure she was.

"Feel free to live your own life though, I am simply stating there is help. It does not feel just to order you around."

Not that I would listen, but it was a nice sentiment.

"I'll see what happens."

We reached the main hall once again, and I could hear the roaring of the journalists outside.

"I'll arrange a pegasus chariot to take you and the elements back, but it will still mean going outside into the reporter's view. At some point I shall make a public statement, hopefully simple enough to dissuade too much enthusiasm on tracking and questioning you, but I can guarantee, initially at least, they will be looking for answers."

"Might as well get it out the way now then," I said, looking at the exit.

"Very well, the chariot should arrive in the courtyard outside shortly. I wish to speak to Twilight first though."

"Anything about me?" I asked, partly between stalling for time and genuine curiosity.

"Technicalities, I'm sure they will bore you," She flashed a smile that told me it wouldn't just be technicalities, but I wouldn't exactly care either.

"I'm that transparent, huh? Fair enough." And with that, it was time to leave sanctuary. "I'll see you when I need money for drugs."

She laughed a composed, gentle laugh. "I look forward to it. Goodbye for now."

I saw Twilight and her group head for the princess as I departed, the guards pushing aside the door for me.

Outside was as bright and sunny as I had left it, with considerable more shouting. There was a large set of golden gates a fair distance away blocking off the interviewers from the courtyard, a grass and stone mix of paths and thin hills. There were regiments of guards marching to and fro, undergoing training practice, or sleeping at their post. The guards saw me exit, and in turn, the unrest outside amplify.

That was it, the grand ending to another chapter of my life. Into the swarms of paparazzi choking on breaths of excitement and shouting questions at me.

I walked closer to the gate, much to the guards' dismay as I came into hearing distance. There were a mix of logical and stupid questions. "What size shoe do you wear?" "Why are you so bald?" "Are you considering growing a moustache?" Simple, idiotic questions that would amuse the dimmer readers in their audience. I opted to ignore them as I answered some general ones.

"Why did you come to Equestria?"

"Didn't have a choice."

"Are you friends with the elements?"

Again, 'friends' was a word overused in this culture. Despite what we had been through, I wasn't looking for companionship, even if there was no invisible gun being held to the back of their heads that was a side effect of knowing me.

"Call 'em that if you want."

"Are you the seventh element of harmony?"

"No idea what that is."

The flashing of camera bulbs and ponies climbing on top of one another shook the gate, and I thought I should probably stop provoking them. I didn't. I answered in short sentence to avoid giving them the chance to twist my words.

"Is it possible to return home? If yes, are you? If no, what are your thoughts?"

"Not possible. Don't care."

Those words came even easier than I expected they would.

"What do you think of Equestria?"

"Too sunny. Otherwise, it's nice."

Could use more alcohol.

"Plans for the future?"

"Sleep."

Nothing to add on to that.

As quickly as it began, I felt that was enough, especially as the chariot had arrived, lowering carefully to the ground by two pegasus guard-ponies. Twilight approached it and waved me nearer with her friends. I wordlessly left the interrogators who, upon deciding that was all they were getting, rushed back to base by wing or carriage. It looked like reading the news tomorrow would be interesting.

The patrols relaxed, no longer having the prospect of the gate falling down on top of them and my departure imminent.

Twilight opened the chariot side-door, a gold strip for a handlebar on a white base. "The airship's going to be repaired and sent back to me, in case you were wondering." I wasn't, I barely registered that I damaged it in the first place. I assumed it was floating above the castle until some cocky guard got a bright idea to throw a spear at it.

I sat in the corner, closest to the safety-less edge. Not even a seatbelt. The others followed after, and they had the smart idea to keep Pink furthest away from me.

She and Rainbow Dash began gloating about how well they did their parts, the others following intently. I rested my head on my hand and stared over the landscape. I couldn't, or rather, didn't want to say much about the moment; it was a period of reflection, but the mirror was blanketed with dust.

I've had my moments for cheesy mental monologues, but now felt more appropriate than ever to bring up a favourite, modified for my current purpose:

The way I see it, there are two types of people: those who spend their lives trying to build a future, and those who spend their lives trying to rebuild the past. The past was present in every action, move and breath I took, but it wasn't rebuild-able anymore. I was too far gone, they were too far gone. The people who took them were dead, leaving only myself. That meant the future was the only option. You could say I was funnelled into a optimistic view, like a lab rat hunting for the cheese at the end of the maze that would turn out to be a cyanide capsule.

So that was it then, it was over, and I was at a loss. Of course, that was nothing new, but this felt different. Like every action I've ever taken had been leading up to a moment in which everything would clarify and I'd have an idea of where my life was going. Instead, destiny just left a note on my doorstep, and I was fresh out of neighbours to track it down with. I was doomed to drift endlessly in a sea of unforgotten tears and blood, with the exception of being surrounded by magic ponies. It wasn't quite the retirement plan I had in mind.

However, these circumstances, like from any human perspective, are completely new. In no way was I restricted or screwed. I had the chance to do stuff, I just needed to figure out what that stuff was. I felt a nap, a liking to cider, and some hay fries might help me on that journey.

Yes, the guilt was still there. But yes, talking about it helped. However insignificant it may have seemed, I justified my being to Twilight with that confession, and part of the grey, demoralizing world I lived in was shifted. Like a loan, sooner or later I'd guess I'd be paying tenfold for that paralysing moment of weakness where I was open to her, that's how it always works. For now though, I had countless possibilities to distract myself with exploring this new world, all I had to do was figure out which cables would hot-wire the car that took me to the many unwanted adventures.

Maybe I could stop thinking in metaphors.