• Published 13th Jul 2015
  • 9,693 Views, 1,967 Comments

Founders of Alexandria - Starscribe



Four months after the end of human civilization, six ponies come together to rebuild. They learn that the apocalypse has not made friendship any easier.

  • ...
45
 1,967
 9,693

PreviousChapters Next
Part 6 (Alex) - Chapter 2

In her youth, Alex had read about the meetings of the “Big Three” during the second world war, as they made sweeping plans to end the Axis powers, plans that would have consequences stretching long past their own lifetimes. Yet now, as she sat in the cargo area aboard a loaned HPI Hummingbird, she imagined she knew a little of what those men might’ve felt.

There were no nations at stake; all of those were already gone. Alex was no Alicorn, she couldn’t imagine the scales of time the Equestrian princesses used. Yet even so, she couldn’t help but feel the weight of destiny pressing on them. Just as mighty ships could be steered by minor adjustments of a comparatively small rotor, much of Earth’s history might now depend on just a few. The loss of the Equestrian library would mean rediscovering magic from scratch. The loss of the “proof” of what had happened might create a future rife with suspicion and fear. Without that, why believe what they had to say about the cause of the Event? Without it, the future might bring chaos and war.

Who best to capitalize on that than the being called Odium? Alex didn’t know how to fight something that could pry apart the minds of ponies, but what else could they do?

It had not taken her very long at all to reach the conclusion that the scale was outside her capabilities. She had thus summoned every ally she knew together. The cargo area of the Hummingbird was transformed into a war-room, with a folding table and a collapsable whiteboard and a projector.

“Let’s review.” She took a deep breath, stepping up before what were left of the ponies of her city. Her friends. Perhaps the last hope for a peaceful future. Moriah slouched in her chair, sipping a coke and looking disturbed. Joseph was beside her, surrounded by papers and at least three different tablets. They had kept empty seats for Sky, Adrian, and Oliver. As sitting in the room with them would have killed her, a drone with a screen for her face stood in for their HPI representative. Was Taylor Gamble their friend?

Yes, Alex decided. Not because she was sure it was actually the truth, but because she needed it to be. Only her friends could sit at her table.

“We have three goals here. First, recover the library. Second, rescue or find our missing friends. Third, get Alexandria back. Does anyone disagree with those priorities?”

Taylor looked uneasy. Her image hesitantly raised a hand. “Forgive me Alex, but… didn’t you tell me you’d listened in on lots of what they said?”

“Yeah.”

“And didn’t you say they’d burned the books already? I don’t understand how we can get them back if they’re already gone. At this point aren’t we just left with the digital copies you managed to send to us? About… a fourth the collection, if I remember. We can do some amazing things with reconstructive forensics, but not get a book out of charcoal.”

Alex frowned, though she didn’t hold anything back. The true nature of the library was actually fairly important for them to understand if they were going to plan anything together. Not that she didn’t think Alexandria’s ponies all understood. “We never actually unloaded all the books. We planned on it, but we figured out something better. Instead of using barcodes, we would only have digital copies available. That way, no matter what happened we couldn’t really lose anything. Even if people kicked us out of the building, you would always have the digital originals in that bunker of yours.”

“Yes, but…” Taylor looked as though she were trying to be delicate. “You said you had one of your people turn traitor. He had to know where you were keeping the books, right? Unless you hadn’t told anyone…”

“He knew.” Alex didn’t know if the strange manipulation would compel Adrian to reveal a secret like that or not. It was possible raw torture could, though she couldn’t imagine anypony actually doing something like it. “But even if he led them right to it, he wouldn’t be able to get it open. The saddlebags Princess Luna gave me weren’t just made of cloth. They were a…” She reached back, to some of her first “perfect” memories. The memories she had put down just after emerging from her time with Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Twilight, and the nightmare being that wasn’t a pony at all. She could still see a tree made from crystal, still see the little gathering of ponies that had assembled for her goodbye breakfast.

She heard the purple Alicorn’s words as though she were still there, and repeated them exactly, intonation and all. “A singularity-class temporospatial claudication. My soul is the key. If anypony but me opens the bag, it’s just a bag. Pretty annoying if somepony puts something in there, cuz’ I can’t get to the ‘just a bag’ part of the saddlebags myself. Somepony else has to open it for me and dump out whatever crap got shoved in.”

Moriah glanced briefly up at the stump of her own horn. “You’re sure they won’t just be able to trash the bag somehow? What good is a ‘claudication’ if you can’t get in to get our books out?”

Alex shook her head again. “The pony who made it was pretty sure it would be really hard to destroy. Its most basic defense would be to come right to me… She didn’t really explain how it would, but she was the Princess of Magic, so I trust her.”

“Princess of Magic.” Taylor repeated the term, and didn’t even sound like she was making fun of it. Much. “Too bad we didn’t have any of those before the Collapse.”

“If they’re smart, I still think they could do it. Attacking the saddlebags with something mundane would just send it to me. So they’ll want to ruin the spell instead. I don’t know anything about how that works, but with how proud of it that pony was, I’m guessing it won’t be easy. If we’ve got any hope of finding it intact, we’ll have to get there before they complete whatever spell it takes to ruin a spell made by an Alicorn. So that’s our time limit. One of two. Based on the audio we got back from Oliver, it seems like the longer you’re under this Odium’s control, the less you can resist. We already know they’ve done it to Adrian. If they haven’t tried Oliver, they will soon.”

She looked to Joseph. “Please tell me all that writing you collected and all the studying you’ve been doing are going to pay off and tell us what to do.” All eyes turned to the unicorn then.

He fiddled with his papers for several more moments, not seeming to notice. He didn’t notice, not until Moriah nudged him and he looked up. Then he blushed, ears flattening on his head. Had he even heard a single word in the last ten minutes?

Rather than embarrass him, Moriah whispered in his ear, and he nodded hastily. “Y-Yeah! Of course! I, uh… I’ve got it here somewhere…” He pulled his laptop closer to him, and the projector lit up. Alex saw the screen full of their books, at least the ones they had managed to make digital so far. Joseph brought up one of the titles: Unseen Dangers and Unlikely Threats: the Illustrated Guide to Equestria’s Rarest Predators. It was one of the few hundred non-essential books they had managed to scan before the newcomers had arrived and they had suspended digitalization. “This book, uh… talks about a number of creatures that lived in Equestria. Lots of the ones in here aren’t physical, so they’re afraid that some of them might’ve found their way across. I looked for anything that might be able to influence the actions of multiple ponies at once, and… it’s a pretty short list.”

He brought each up in turn. “First, the Morpheans.” He opened to a page of the beautiful full-color volume, depicting an elegant gray pony with a black cloak and a medieval farming implement leaning on her back. Alex gasped.

Taylor actually laughed. “No way you didn’t draw that.” She learned forward, so the screen only showed her forehead for a moment. “The Equestrian aliens have an angel of death myth?”

Joseph nodded. “I think it’s something like that. They don’t exist in the real world, at least, not according to this. It’s confusing, but it talks about dreams like they take place somewhere, somewhere almost real. There are several different ones, each with crazy powers they’ll use on ponies who get in their way. This one is death, but there’s more.” He flicked through a few different illustrations on successive pages. She was sure each had correspondences in Earth mythologies somewhere, if she had known where to look. An elegant tempter, a monstrous spider with shears and red silk thread, a great stag.

“The Morpheans are like dream gods. I only skimmed it, but the book didn’t seem to know if any of it was real or not. But if it was right, some of them could mentally influence ponies. Infect them through their dreams, then force them to do things when they wake up. Your friend Princess Luna fought some.”

Alex frowned at the latest illustration, then shook her head. “Looks like a very specific list. Like a pantheon. Even if most aren’t real, I’m guessing you’d tell us if there was one of them named ‘Odium’.”

Joseph spluttered for a moment, as though she had just tripped him. Alex realized with a twinge of guilt she might’ve done just that by mentioning what might’ve been his next point. “Sorry for interrupting.” She blushed, suddenly staring at the marker resting by her hooves. “What else could it be?”

The unicorn took another few moments before he finally answered. “Yeah, well… there weren’t very many other things that were able to manipulate whole groups. There’s one that was able to corrupt a princess, but it could only have one host at a time. The only thing this book talks about-”

“Which might not even be the same thing!” Moriah added.

“Yeah, might not. But the only thing close is this.” The page changed, displaying a creature Alex could barely describe. It was like a half-melted pony, twisting into shadow with a wickedly pointed horn. “It’s called an ‘Umbrum.’ These aren’t like the Morpheans, they’re real. Well…” He paused. “I think they are. Equestrian books talk about such crazy stuff that I don’t always know if it’s supposed to be literal or not. I think this one was though, because it talks about one of them enslaving a whole country. It’s not physical… but it’s not omniscient. Its essence has to be contained, or else it will disintegrate over time. Like an object, or a pony. It could roam around for a few miles from its host, but not further.”

Alex shivered as she took in the wicked horn, the bright green eyes. She had never seen so much hate in a simple drawing before. “They can force ponies to act against their will?”

Joseph nodded. “Not at first. They have to break your will first. They feed on hatred and anger. Eventually, when that’s all you’ve got left, the shadow can fill you up and you won’t have the strength left to fight. Force you to do whatever it wants. These guys used to be a whole race, though the book says they’re generally thought to be gone now.”

“Apparently not. There’s at least one left. Odium.” Alex remained quiet, letting the reality of what they had just learned sink in. True, there was no guarantee the being these ponies called Odium really was one of these ‘Umbrum.’ It might be, or it might be something else entirely. But they had nothing else to go on; not a drop more information. They had no choice but to make some assumptions, or else just make no plans at all and charge in blind.

“So, we know the ponies in there are acting against their will. That means we absolutely can’t kill anypony, and we should avoid hurting them as much as possible.” Moriah opened her mouth to speak, but Alex just kept going, getting louder. It worked, and the unicorn remained quiet. “Adrian would never hurt us. He was the one who came up with the plan to sneak into that house and learn what was really going on. If he had been evil, he could’ve stopped us from leaving, could’ve told them where the Hummingbird was so they could stop us from getting in, all kinds of things. I will not have us wasting time debating it. Agreed?”

She waited for assent from the others, which all of them gave except Moriah. Eventually she just grunted. Enough.

“We need nonlethal weapons then. It’s a handicap, since I bet they’re using the real thing. Do we have those, Taylor?”

The young woman’s image nodded. “Most of our combat drones have their biggest payload of nonlethals. When there are only a few hundred of you left, you can’t afford to kill anyone no matter what. We’ve got rubber bullets on most of them, as well as for the hoofguns we made for you… they still use standard sized bullets.” Her image was briefly replaced with that of the other drones, then the boxes that contained nonlethal ammo and where they could find them on the Hummingbird. “You should know, though. They’ve got a reduced range over the real thing, basically no penetration, and they can still kill if you hit somebody wrong. Get them in their temple for instance, or an eye…” She made a gesture with two fingers across her throat. “Kiss mortality goodbye. Aim for the center mass. You’re much less likely to kill someone if you hit them there.”

Moriah got up, opening the designated cargo locker on the wall. Sure enough, the boxes were waiting for them, covered in HPI barcodes. She lifted one out and over to the pile of weapons without another word, beginning the work of switching out the ammo. Without magic, it was bound to be grueling, menial work. Even if her hoof-dexterity was much better than it had been. “I’m still listening!” she called. “But since this is gonna take freakin’ forever, I’m going to start now if that’s okay.”

Alex nodded appreciatively, then turned back to the projection of Taylor. “Anything else? Besides the bullets, I mean.”

Taylor frowned. “Well, our soldiers have more. These new long-range tasers are pretty interesting. Use this little beam of charged plasma to conduct without wires. Or maybe it was a lazer…” she trailed off, shrugging. “Not my department. The energy draw is too high for a drone. Only a soldier plugged into one of the MTRs can use them. We didn't give you any.” Alex didn’t say anything, letting the silence weigh on Taylor along with her eyes. Eventually, the young woman spoke up again. “B-But there are a few other things! I have a net for hunting dangerous wildlife with a netgun. Only two shots, but they’ve got an electrical threat-suppression built in. Enough voltage in there to knock out a horse. Err… a properly sized horse.”

“We’ve also got smoke on two of them, and a few tear-gas grenades. They’re in this locker here, I’ll unlock it for you.” She fiddled with something on her keyboard, and suddenly there was a click from one of the walls. “We didn’t think you’d be needing riot gear, but we left some of it just in case.”

“Alright.” Alex took the marker in her mouth, adding the guns, nets, and gas grenades to their “assets” column. Then she turned to Joseph. “Suppose this ‘Odium’ thing is in an object. What happens if you break it?”

Joseph made a gesture like the one Taylor had used, sans the fingers. “It’ll go back to the place it came from. Not sure where that is, but… I’m pretty sure we won’t see it again. Not in our lifetimes, anyway.”

Alex felt a stab of guilt at that, though she wasn’t entirely sure she should. After all, she didn’t know that she was immortal. Not particularly hard to kill, either. Just hard to make things “stick.” None of her friends even knew it. She wasn’t going to tell them now, either. “Could you recognize the thing if you saw it, Joseph?”

The unicorn nodded. “Easy. If it was in something inanimate, it’d be sucking up magic and probably make the whole area feel like crap. It would probably attack me if I even got close, though. Even during the day, these things can throw magic around. But… Alex, it might be in a pony. What do we do then? We’d have to-”

She didn’t need him to finish. “Could you get it out without harming the host?”

Joseph’s face darkened. “Probably not.”

Moriah shouted from several paces away. “You’re stuffed full of magic, Joe! Just fuckin’ blast it out!”

Joseph looked frustrated. “It isn’t about magic! It’s about will. These things don’t age like people do; it might be thousands of years old. The book doesn’t suggest fighting them under any circumstances. Just says we should call the princesses and let them deal with it.”

There was silence then. Alex remembered her time in Equestria, remembered the glory that radiated from Princess Celestia like an invisible wave. She had never felt safer than in the presence of that celestial pony. If only they could ask for her help now. How was it fair that Equestrian predators were being loosed on Earth?

Would it have been better for everybody to get killed instead? No. It still sucked though. Like many things in her life. Like the fact one of her friends who she was beginning to venture she might have feelings for had been captured by evil ponies and possibly enslaved. Like her missing family and being made into a mare. Like the life she had ahead of her. Nothing was ever fair.

But it didn’t matter. The universe didn’t care about being fair. It didn’t care about anything. “If anypony has to die… I’ll do the killing. I won’t burden any of you with it, so don’t even think about it.” She took a deep breath. “We don’t have much time. If this thing is more powerful at night, we’ve got to move before then. Ms. Gamble, do you have those satellite activity maps we asked for?” At the nod in response, she continued. “I’ve got a plan. It’s not perfect, but… with only the three of us, it will have to do.”

She took a deep breath, then explained it. And, of course, she had been right.

They didn’t like it.

PreviousChapters Next