• Published 11th Jul 2015
  • 9,222 Views, 178 Comments

My Faithful Student - FadFreaky



Twilight's latest discovery sends her back to the past. What she finds, is quite the surprise. (Sequel now out!)

  • ...
20
 178
 9,222

Chapter 10

--Narrator's Pov--

Luna’s adventures outside the walls were truly a gift. Her personal restraint had prevented her from truly enjoying her outings with her sister and Princess Twilight. The ponies in town are currently looking at the three royals, surprised that they would be out and about among the common pony, even if it is only for a short period of time.

“That must be the little princess!” Says a bystander

“You mean the littlest princess. I wonder where Celestia is?” Another bystander mentions.

The civilians of Canterlot curiously watch the royal family walk through the town. Some colts and fillies excitedly bouncing, being held back by their parents. For them, it was a great day. Many common ponies have never seen any part of the royal family, and many foals wanted to be friends with the young Luna. Some were just farmers wearing nothing. Some were the more humble workers such as writers or iron workers. All of which were wearing some form of clothing typically themed around their job. The multi colored population of Canterlot were all eagerly watching, trying to get a good view of the royal family. Some even going as far to start laying small cheap coats or their aprons in front of the family, so they wouldn’t have to step in the dirt road.

“Father, why are they all staring at us? It’s really creepy…” Said Luna. Holding onto her father’s leg.

At that notion, the large crowd quickly clears up. Leaving Canterlot empty of nearly all life, at least on the streets.

“Well. At least they’re still quick. Be careful of what you say around the ponies, sweetie. They’re a little shy about us alicorns. It's not often the common pony gets to see us.” Eclipse says to Luna. Picking her up and letting her ride on his back.

Luna quickly asks. “Why?”

“Well, that’s because not everypony is of nobility. So to make our job easier, we use the nobility as a sort of middle pony.” Responded Eclipse.

Luna would tilt her head. Her big blue eyes blinking. “Why?”

“We can’t exactly see everypony, right Solace?” Says Eclipse in response, asking for backup of his wife.

“It’s true. We cannot exactly see everypony. There are far too many commoners.” Solace responded.

Luna would then puff her chest out. “When I’m Queen I’ll make time for all the ponies! One way or another!” An adorable squee escapes Luna

“Well that is some time away.” Solace would then nuzzle Luna. Who giggles a little bit.

The King of the Night smiles widely. “Come my family. A feast awaits.”

They arrive at a very nice restaurant. The posh exterior built to look like the style of what will be the French, Multiple marble columns and a overhang give the outside of the restaurant a very homely look. If homely is living in a expensive hotel everyday. The building itself oozed exclusivity, both figuratively and literally if the bouncer ponies outside were anything to say about it. A steady stream of ponies, all nobility, are constantly entering and exiting the building. Next door is a small cafe which seems to be having quite some good business for some reason. But that is not what the royal family came for.

“Remember Luna. These are all your ponies. They will listen to you and their actions will be based on how you act. They can fear you or…” Eclipse trails off lightly.

“Or they can love you, sweetie.” A soft nuzzle comes in, joining Solace’s voice.

“It’s all about how you act. Some ponies need to be treated harshly if you wish to get their loyalty. Remember your duty is to make sure the crown survives to bring order.” Eclipse says with a soft voice.

“Remember. Do not let ponies stomp over you Luna. Do what must be done.”

With that, they enter the fancy restaurant. Many ponies trying to get a table near the royalty only to be disappointed when the family gets a private table in an enclosed area.

Next door there sits two alicorns. Enjoying a humble sandwich as they talk gleefully in the cafe. Sitting outside under a simple wooden awning among the common pony.

“Just a sandwich…?” Asks Celestia, poking the bread.

“Just try it, Celestia. I promise you it will taste good. Besides, it’s quick food for energy and we still have a lot of work to do.” Twilight says with a smile. Starting on her food.

“I know… but where is the salad… the tasty ice cream?” Celestia says with a pout.

Twilight giggles lightly. “Not everypony gets to eat that way you know.” She shifts her spot at the table to sit next to the filly. Putting a wing around her lightly.

“Yea. I know. But the royal family doesn’t get to interact with the common pony… like ever.” Celestia responds looking around at all the ponies watching the two. Of course, the commoners quickly turn back to their food.

“That’s a shame. You’ll never find more important ponies than the commoners, Celestia.” Twilight responds, taking a bite of her sandwich.

“What do you mean? Isn’t the royal family the most important out of all the ponies?” Celestia asks, eating her sandwich finally. Quite liking the taste, but knowing better than to show it.

Slightly appalled Twilight responds “Of course not, Celestia. The royal family would be nothing without their common ponies. The royal family has a duty to their subjects over themselves. And you’ll find that the best way to get to know the common pony is simply, sitting down, and having a good snack in public. You may even make a few close friends that way…”

Celestia uncomfortably shifts in her seat. As ponies look at her curiously.

“These are your subjects, Princess Celestia. To protect and serve. To treat as well as possible, and make sure that they get their fair share. Because, while you’ll one day run the country, their children will be turning the gears. A general is nothing without her army, and an army cannot run if they do not trust who is giving orders.” Twilight says as she nuzzles Celestia, who gets a shine in her eyes.

“So… you’re saying that these ponies will one day be just as important as me?” Celestia asks quietly.

Twilight responds with a smile. “They’ll be some of the most important ponies to you. Never forget that. That's why you have to make sure that those that are in charge of them are treating them right. That the commoners are happy, even if you have to sacrifice for them. These are the ponies you lead. But they're also the ponies you protect and if you protect them, well, then they’ll protect you back. They’ll give their lives, homes, food and money to keep you safe. Just as long as you return the favor when they need it the most.”

Celestia hops off the bench of the table. Quietly.

“Just remember… they’re only curious. This is one of the first times we’ve eaten out in public like this.” Twilight says worriedly, wondering what Celestia is planning.

Meanwhile, Luna is happily eating her parfait. Looking around the neatly decorated room, art hanging from every wall and the table so neatly carved to look ornate. Solace has left the room at the moment to use the washroom to freshen up after her meal.

“So remember Luna. The Nobility are the most important ponies to you. They’ll keep the common ponies in line. If they aren’t happy, then the crown isn’t safe. Nothing would run and Equestria would come to a grinding halt. The common ponies are replaceable… disposable. You will need to only watch them when there is a group without a noble over them. Otherwise, they are not worth your time.”

Luna nods happily. Gulping down her scoop of Parfait. Staying seated.

At this moment. Celestia moves from her spot on the ground and walks over to a family. Smiling happily at them. “Hi! My name is Princess Celestia Sol! What’s your names?”