• Published 13th Jul 2015
  • 5,120 Views, 410 Comments

Metamorphosis - PaintSplotch



Having every human being vanish is bad enough. Waking up as some horrible bug monster is even worse. All I know is that I have to get home...somehow. Set in the Ponies after People universe.

  • ...
21
 410
 5,120

7 - Cosmonaut

‘When I orbited the Earth in a spaceship, I saw for the first time how beautiful our planet is.
Mankind, let us preserve and increase this beauty, and not destroy it.’---Yuri Gagarin

I am Yuri.

It is the name my Person gave me long ago. It has something to do with the lights in the sky at night and a Person that went there. I do not understand it fully, but it is important to my Person.

My Person is sick. She has been sick for a very long time. It is my job to help her. I am a Helper.

Mother was a Helper too. She told my siblings and I that we would all also be Helpers. She Helped her Person who is also sick. He was very sad. He had to go away to a place for a long time with sand and death. When he came back, Mother Helped him when he cried at night and he told her of sad things. She Helped him and he gave back the wonderful things that only the People can give. I learned from my Person that it is called Love.

This was back when my name was the smell of rain on rocks. Now, I am Yuri.

I met my Person a long time ago. I was still young. I was taken to a place where the sharp smell stung my nose and many Persons laid in beds and could not rise. My Person was in this place. She was sick too. Her forelegs were bandaged up. She had long, thin strings stuck in them too. I was brought there by a Person that makes us into Helpers. I was to be her Helper.

My Person was happy when I was brought there. She pet my head and said what Persons call Words. I was happy to find she smelled happier. I was being a Helper already!

I learned special Words. I learned Come, Sit, Stay and many others. I am very clever. I even learned the special Word Yuri. That special Word is mine. I am proud to be Helper to a good Person that gives special Words.

I am proud to be a Helper. I help my Person. My Person is afraid sometimes. So I guard my Person. My Person has bad dreams. My Person needs many round things that she eats to feel better. My Person is ill. It is my job to bring the round things to my Person. They make her feel better.

My Person likes to go to the wood. She is learning to live there and to go through it. She takes me along. I am happy to be there! I can Help. I Help a lot.

I went with my Person to the place with a lot of other Persons. They sit all day and listen to another Person Talk. They make make marks on flat white things. I cannot help with the Talking or the making of marks, but I still Help by being there. It makes my Person feel better.

I was with my Person for so long that they left the place with the Talking. Now my Person was going to learn more about the wood. My Person seemed to be happy there. We went with other Persons, but I made sure to always look out for mine.

Then the strange thing happened.

It was night when it happened. I saw my Person get strange. She got darker. She… changed. She still smelled like my Person so I knew it was my Person. I was confused. My person was different! She had a very hard time and I did my best to Help. I tried to understand what has happened, but I could not.

Later, my Person said the best Word. Home. It would be my job to Help her there. She was scared, but I will not let her be so. I would Help.

It was all strange. I only ever understood small Words. But I began to understand more of the Words. At first, it was small Words. But more and more Words came until the Words were like my own. My Person spoke and I can understand.

I learned that I became Different too.

Some Words still escape me. I do not know some, but I am learning. I am clever.

I learned of the Sun and Moon that comes and goes. It means it has been a Day. We have been going home for many of these Days. My Person said it would be many more Days until we are Home.

Many things have happened since then. Some good and some bad. Many new things to smell and taste and many new things to see. I did my best to understand it. I did my best to keep my Person moving. To keep going to Home.

Now we have stopped.

It has been a Sun and a Moon since the death of the Little Person.

Now my Person is lying there. She does not want to rise. I can smell how sad she is. I am sad too. The Little Person had died. I am sad for the Little Person. I like Little Persons. My Person had to put the Little Person in the ground forever. I remember when Mother was put into the ground forever too. I was sad then. I am sad now.

I try to bring the bag of round things to my Person. She will not stir. She just sleeps. I have watched my Person open the bag before, so I do so now. I put the round things down in front of my Person. She only moves to turn away.

She will not eat the round things.

I remember that my Person will not eat the round things without water. I run to where I can smell water. It is a bright room with a bright, hard white thing. It has water there inside. I get a mouthful and hold it. I have to bring it to my Person.

I open my mouth over my Person's face and drop the water. She will not drink, but she makes angry and sad noises. She waves a foreleg at says what must be Angry Words at me. I understand some, but not all.

My Person gets like this. She does not mean it.

If my Person will not drink, then I will get my Person a food.

I cannot get a food from the hard tubes. I can get my food from the bag that is for me. It is closed, but I am clever. I chew it open and I can get a mouth of food.

I put it in a pile around my Person. She can eat now. She will not starve. I eat some too. It is hard work to be clever.

She still does not get up and sometimes she dreams and cries. I wash the tears away. I must keep my Person clean. I groom her face and back. There is no fur, but I still do my best. My poor, sick Person. I bring more water, sometimes she will drink, sometimes she will not.

I cannot get her to eat a food. She must eat a food.

I lay down with my Person. I must keep her warm. I must keep her safe. It is my job to be a Helper and I am clever. I must watch. I must be aware. I cannot allow anything to come in the night to hurt my Person.

A Sun and a Moon come again. Still my Person will not eat the round things or take the water or the food.

I must take action. I must think.

I am strong. I must use that.

I take my Person in my jaws. I must get her up. I must.

I pull hard. She does not want to rise. I must make her.

I pull and pull and she is up. I must make her stand. She cries and shakes like when I was small and she was small too. I say that I am Sorry. It is a new word I have recently learned.

I give her many kisses. I must keep her up.

I push. I push harder. She takes a step. I push again. She steps again. I push my Person harder and harder. I make her walk. I make her move. She cannot lay down forever.

We are going Home. We will go Home. I am a Helper; she needs Help to move again.

I shout. I usually do not speak, but it is important now to shout. I shout at my Person that we must move again. She moves, but she looks sad. I shout that we must keep moving or else we will be in the ground forever too.

I bring the round things. She cries as she eats them. I understand that the round things are important. I was given round things once when I was sick. I was better. They will make my Person better. She gets her own water. She does not eat a food still.

It is okay. There are small steps. I am proud of my Person.

I wag my tail and shout! I am happy she ate the round things! My Person will be better now!

It is time to go. We must go. I push my Person to the rolling thing with the sticks. She sees it and looks at me.

She says many Words to me. She says she is sorry. She says I am a good dog.

I am a good dog.

It is okay, I shout. You did not feel well. You are better now.

I kiss her before she can cry again. There is no time to be sad. There is only time to go. We must get Home.

She puts the things on that makes the rolling thing follow her. She stumbles.

It is okay. I put my body against my Person. I will help her go. I will keep her steady.

I guide her. My Person has to hold to the Special Helper Vest to help go. I go slow. We all go slow together. Whatever my person needs, I must do.

I can smell rabbits in the grass. I can smell the sky and the oncoming rain. I can smell many things. I ignore them. I am a Helper. My job is important. I must guide my Person and be distracted by nothing.

I love my Person. I must not let anything happen to her.

I do not understand the flat thing with the lines on it, but I do remember a Road. There is something in me that is pointing. I must follow it. We must follow it.

Together.

Author's Note:

Here's a nicer chapter to be an upper to the previous chapter's downer! It's all Yuri and what goes through his doggy head :D

In other news I made a soundtrack for the fic!

You can listen to it over here on 8 tracks!

Until next time friends, time to write another chapter!