• Published 24th May 2012
  • 3,192 Views, 73 Comments

Always connected - The-rogue-shadow



Applejack struggles with new feelings while Rainbow Dash struggles just to survive

  • ...
16
 73
 3,192

Chapter 2

Rainbow Dash awoke in her cloud bed, after a night full of confusing dreams and restlessness. She rubbed her eyes and looked at her clock.

‘What! I’m never up this early on my days off,’ she thought, but she knew that it wasn’t true; for the past few months she had been struggling to sleep and even not wanting too at all.
‘Why am I thinking these things, having these dreams, Applejack is my best friend, this..is..wrong.’ These thoughts kept going through her mind as she struggled to make sense of them.

‘I-I need to tell Applejack about this,’ and with that thought in mind she opened her wings and flew at top speed out of her house, leaving her signature rainbow trail behind her. She never got tired of flying, the speed, the adrenaline, the unerring freedom, but today she had trouble enjoying herself, not with this huge weight hanging on her shoulders.
As she approached Sweet Apple Acres, a smile came over her face, with a yearning that only confused her more. She spotted Applejack lying down underneath a tree, her straw coloured mane shone in the sun and Rainbow couldn’t help but be taken aback at the beauty of the moment.

‘Okay Rainbow, focus, how are you going to say this’ she thought, clearing her throat for a practice run.
“Applejack, we’ve been friends for a long time and there is something I need to tell you,” she said aloud, before taking a deep breath and half-yelling;“I think I’m a fillyfooler and I’m in love with you.” The sentence seemed to come out as one long word. Rainbow facehooved at the absurdity of the speech.
“You know what? I’m just gunna wing it,” she finally decided and flew down from the cloud she had been sitting on, straight for Applejack. When she reached her, Rainbow opened her mouth, but when she was actually there, she choked on the words and instead, on the spur of the moment, could only say;

“How do you expect to beat me at the next iron pony competition if you can’t even handle this orchard?”
‘What!! Why did you say that!’ she scolded herself as Applejack looked at her with annoyance. ‘All you had to do was tell her that you had feelings for her and now look what you did, you made her angry.” With no other options left to her Rainbow told Applejack she was only there to show her a new flying trick, and shot off into the air at Applejack’s approval. While in the air, she did some spins and flips, never taking her eyes of Applejack for more than a moment.

“She’s just…so beautiful,” said Rainbow. “Maybe I can make her see me the way I see her.”
With that, she flew into cloud after cloud, gathering water droplets and then, with a very calculated move, she flew in between Applejack and the sun, knowing that an aura would form around her, finishing off her patented “Raindash Twirl.” Rainbow looked down at Applejack, and the smile she saw on Applejack’s face was entrancing.

“Hey Rainbow!” yelled a voice from beside her and she turned just in time to see a huge mass of feathers coming straight at her.
“Gil…” Rainbow tried to exclaim before all of the air in her lungs was forced out by the griffin slamming into her.
“Shouldn’t have chosen them Dash,” she screamed above the roar of the wind in the descent.
Rainbow knew what was coming but couldn’t prepare for the sheer force of the impact. She felt it through her whole body as her left wing crumpled underneath her, every fragile, hollow bone shattering. She opened her mouth to cry out but no sound came.

“Always had to be the hero, didn’t you Dash,” Gilda yelled as she slashed at Rainbow’s body with her talons. “Always had to be weak like them.” Rainbow struggled to keep conscious, but the pain was too much. As she passed out, she heard Applejacks voice, first softly, and then right next to her a few moment later.
“Ap-Applejack” she groaned out, her whole body in protest.
“Shhh don’t talk sugarcube, save your strength,” said Applejack, her voice was cracking.
“No, you need to hear this,” begged Rainbow. “Applejack… I… Love… You.” Her voice trailed off at the end as she passed out. But she did hear Applejack reply with “I love you too Rainbow.”