• Published 9th Jul 2015
  • 2,128 Views, 166 Comments

Such A New Place - ILIKEBOOKS



When a young orphaned dragon has to move from her home, little did she know that she would go on a life changing adventure.

  • ...
10
 166
 2,128

Chapter 8 The First Step

12 hours earlier.

"Here Twilight." Applejack tightened the bandage around Twilight's barrel. She grimaced as she saw the blood soak into the bandage. Twilight didn't even seem to notice the large wound on her side. Applejack had her share of accidental injuries. Big Mac's broken leg? That's not too bad. Apple Bloom covered in beestings? Ugly but easy to heal, this however was something else entirely. "Does that hurt?" Applejack asked in a concerned voice.

"I can't tell." Twilight said. The look in her eyes was one of pain; emotional pain not physical. Her mane was a mess and she didn't seem to care.

"Ya can't get yer mind off of Spike can ya?"

"How could I? All this time that I've been neglecting him. I've should of seen it sooner." She sniffled.

"Ah know this must be hard on ya, but ah'm sure Spike and Dim Sum will be fine."

Twilight wiped her eyes and glanced at Applejack. "Are you sure?"

"Of course sugercube." She opened her front legs as an offering to Twilight. Twilight hugged Applejack and cried on her chest. "It'll be okay Twi." Applejack stroked Twilight's back.

"I should of stopped them." She sniffled. "I should of held on to him. I'm a horrible friend."

"Don't say that Twilight, you're a great friend. We had no idea that this would have happened."

"I should of been better to him, I should of appreciated him. What's wrong with me?" Applejack paused and thought about the question. Her friend is in a fragile emotional state, should she answer the question honestly or should she try her best to spare Twilight's feelings? Applejack sighed.

"Nothing's wrong with ya. We all make mistakes." She stared into Twilight's violet eyes. "Everything will be okay. Ya have us, don't ever forget that."

"Thank you Applejack." Twilight smiled. "I'm glad you're here." That smile made Applejack feel like she did something right.

"No problem Twilight, you would do the same for me." They sat there for a few more seconds. Twilight never really noticed it but being with such good friend like Applejack made her feel happy, almost warm in fact.

Applejack did have questions about the situation as well. Why did Dim Sum get arrested? Why is there no trial? The more and more she thought about it the more it sounded suspicious.

Applejack ignored these thoughts and glanced over to the clock mounted on the wall. 12:30am Applejack thought. It was very late and she had to get home to get some shuteye. She glanced over to Owlowiscious who was perched on a small wooden peg. She smiled. At least Twilight won't be alone tonight.

Applejack stood up and walked to the doorway of Twilight's bedroom. "If ya ever need a shoulder to cry on, ya know where ah live." Applejack said.

"Thank you. I'll try to get some sleep." Twilight said.

Applejack tipped her Stetson and exited the room.

"I miss him." Twilight said quietly to herself. She laid on her side and closed her eyes.

In The Present

Spike and Dim Sum sat in the carriage that Princess Celestia reserved for them. Dim Sum opened the map that she was given and read it. The map was well detailed and shown a large part of Equestria. The path that the pair had to travel was drawn in with a black dotted line.

"Well it looks like we have a long way to go." She pointed towards an area on the map. "We have to cut through this mountain first, then we have to go through some small villages. Our end location is in the Whitetail Woods."

"That sounds like a lot of walking." Spike said. "It would be faster if I had wings."

"That's okay Spike." Dim Sum gave him a reassuring smile. "This'll be a piece of cake."

"Well I guess we'll just have to find out." He placed a hand on his sword's handle. "I wonder if I'll ever have to use this."

"Let's hope not." She glanced at him. "I'd really rather not hurt anypony."

"Sometimes it's necessary. But who would attack two firebreathing dragons?"

"An idiot." Dim Sum said with an amused smile.

Spike grinned and he turned his head to look out the carriage's window. He watched as unicorns walked around with bags of clothes and and other items. The way they walked it made it seem as if they treated themselves like royalty. The uptight and egotistical way they carried themselves. He shook his head and face palmed. These are the kind of ponies Rarity wanted to be like. Such positive role models. Something occurred to Spike, he thought about Rarity without thinking about how beautiful she is or how amazing she is Woah, that's weird. Perhaps Spike was over Rarity, or maybe he's just so caught up in his own issues that be forgot about the mare he chased after over the years. Either way he had a clear head which he will need.

He glanced over at Dim Sum. She was happily staring out the carriage's window. She's always so optimistic. He smiled. Maybe I should be more like her. Spike closed his eyes and let the rhythmic pattern of clopping horseshoes on stone lull him to sleep.

Dim Sum glanced over to see Spike taking a nap. She smiled and leaned over to him. She placed her lips his cheek. She gave him a small peck before she pulled away from him and confidently smirked. "We'll find that gem Spike, I promise."

Some time later

"Spike wake up." Dim Sum said in an attempt to wake the sleeping drake. "Come on sleepy head. We're here." Dim Sum shook him.

Spike's eyes slowly opened as he sat up. He yawned and stretched his arms.

"What's up?" Spike asked.

"We gotta go Spike." Dim Sum said.

"Oh yeah, the gem." Spike opened the carriage door. He covered his eyes as the bright sunlight shined on him. "Geez." He glanced around to see a long winding dirt path. The area was beautiful with green grass and trees scattered about.

"Sir Spike." The guard said. Spike turned to see the guard.

"Yes?" He asked.

"We have your equipment in these backpacks." The guard lit his horn and levitated the back pack in front of Spike.

"Thank you." Spike grabbed the backpack and put it on. "It's a bit heavy." He said.

"Well inside there is food and clothing. The weather on a mountain tends to be unpredictable." The guard explained. Spike nodded and glanced over to the mountain which sat on the horizon.

"We have to travel through that huh?"

"I'm afraid so. I wish you good luck sir Spike."

"Thank you."

The guard walked over to the carriage and used his magic to hook him up to the harness. He turned to his fellow guardsmen. They both nodded and began to trot off, away from the pair.

"Well here we are." Dim Sum stared at the mountain. "We're really doing this aren't we?" She asked.

"Yep, let's hope we don't meet any bears or mountain lions along the way." Spike said.

"Great, now I'll be thinking about that the entire time."

Spike smiled. "We're just going to have to find out."

"I feel like you jinxed us." Dim Sum shook her head. "Welp let's not keep 'em waiting." Dim Sum began to walk forward. Spike took his first step forward and knitted his brow. He knows anything could happen on this trip. He could be hurt... and so could she.

"I'll protect you," he said in a soft whisper. "Even if it's from myself."

Author's Note:

So this took a ludicrous amount of time. Do I feel like a jerk? Yep! But anyways hope you enjoyed and I'll see you in the next chapter.