• Published 5th Jul 2015
  • 2,854 Views, 82 Comments

Fact or Fanfiction - Tumbleweed



When Twilight Sparkle introduces Rainbow Dash to the wide world of Daring Do fanfiction, Rainbow Dash takes it upon herself to write the BEST FANFIC EVAR. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
3
 82
 2,854

Epilogue

Some time (and a great deal of red ink) later...



DARING DO DAILY, VOLUME 87.

FEATURED THIS WEEK:

PAST SENSE

When a dark ritual goes wrong, Ahuizotl is de-aged into a young, harmless kitten. Can Daring Do punish her arch nemesis for crimes he hasn't technically committed yet?

FALLDOWN: EQUESTRIA, CHAPTER 652

Two hundred years after Cloudsdale and all the other floating cities of ponykind fell to the earth, a lone wanderer sets out across the barren wasteland on a quest to bring back the world that once was. Ongoing. Still ongoing.

YOU'VE GOT WOOD

Second person P.O.V. When you wake up in Willow Whisper's bed, there's only one thing left to do. (Author's note: That thing is sex).

THE BLACKEST COFFEE

Daring Do just wanted to get a latte from Chocobean's coffee shop, but she's in for something much darker instead. TAGS: Gore, Sex, Dark, Death, Torture, Guro, Tax Evasion.

RAINBOW FLASH AND DARING DO SAVE THE DAY AND HAVE A BEACH PARTY WITH A BUNCH OF HOT DUDES

See title.


“I thought I told you to change the title, Rainbow?”

“I did! Instead of a pool party, now it's a beach party!”

“That's...not exactly what I had in mind.”

“It's the best idea I ever had! Now there's a surfing contest, and at the end, I- er, Rainbow Flash gets to punch a shark! I never would've thought of it if you didn't tell me to change the title!”

“Oh. I guess that worked out pretty well? I'm just glad you're having a good time.”

“I should be thanking you, Twilight! If it weren't for you, I wouldn't know about fanfic to begin with! You've been such a good friend, and such a good editor, I decided to put you down as a co-author! I even put your name first on the credits!”

“What.”

“Dibs on the trophy, though.”

“Something tells me that's not going to be an issue.”

Comments ( 29 )

Oh Twilight.
Poor, poor Twilight.
I am so sorry.
(Does the magazine not have quality checking or something?)

6191775 Apparently the editors' taste isn't any better than the average readers'.

and at the end, I- er, Rainbow Flash gets to punch a shark!

As long as you don't jump it Rainbow... as long as you don't jump it.

Meta and funny. Well done.

>Open fimfiction
>1 notification
>Tracking
>This fiction
>"Epilogue".... hah? What?
> 341 words..... WHAT?
B-but.... I expected a pretty long fiction.... I expected something like the struggles RD have when writing. :raritycry:

Okay.... seriously though... when I read the featured list (in this fic), seeing that hideous title suprised me.
Wow..... :pinkiegasp:

At least she changed the title. A word of the title. :twilightsmile:

*reads the titles and descriptions of the other Daring Do fanfics...* Huh... Dash actually might win against those. If for no other reason ponies might believe it to be a satire of bad fanfics.

So this is Fanficception! A fanfic of a fantasy adventure series in a fanfic of a fantasy adventure series in a fanfic of a fantasy adventure series! (What? You all DIDN'T know our world is a bad fanfic?! How could you not!? You think people as stupid and worthless as the Kardasians could ever REALLY exist and achieve fame for nothing other than being vain, stupid attention whores in any REAL world?) :trollestia:

I reviewed this story!

My review can be found here.

mrk

After JelloApocalypse's "Welcome to Fanfiction.net", this was a nice followup. So meta.

I'm kinda waiting on Twilight slapping Dash for that last bit. I'll be waiting a bit, won't I. :p

EDIT: I'll be recommending this on Space Battles and Sufficient Velocity too, for the record.

6194999 Plus let's not forget the deus ex machina used to beat Japan in WW2 that the writers keep having to bend over backwards to justify why it's never used again. I'm sure they hate whoever wrote that little thing into the EU.

6459478 At least they gave the bomb one of the best-developed and subtly foreshadowed backstories ever written!

The Manhattan Project? Sheer literary genius!

6461442 Yeah, but it's clear he didn't think through the implications of how powerful it was, which was bad enough. Then writers for the "Cold War" arc just kept uping the power without considering the implications in a game of oneupsmanship to try and seem cooler. Writers really don't have a proper sense of scale sometimes.

I think one of the neatest things from the WW2 arc was the mosquito fighters the British made. Really, kudos for such an inventive and realistic solution to a lot of problems with the British airforce.

6461476 Let's not forget the bat incindiary bomb idea, which was going to to be written in before they decided to deus ex it with the nukes so they could move the story along.

Really, the 5-year arc of the war was dragging on too long. And with the massive death toll and genocides and stuff, it was risking darkness-induced audience apathy. A sudden shock and end to the war, with a new enemy emerging from the former alliance really picked up reader interest.

But then it got stuck with MAD. Neither side could act without blowing up the world, and audiences were getting sick of the whole apocalypse cliche that everyone was doing (they even wrote about that as kind of a farce in the most recent chapters, what with post-apocalyptic themes making up the majority of the fictional in-world YA novels, which everyone in every dimension knows suck balls) The stalemate and constant escalation of spying to quadruple agents got so confusing that the characters started forgetting which side they were on.

So then they put that whole nuclear thing on the back burner for the space race! Suddenly, the moon was the most important target! What a twist (Space Shyamalan wrote that part, I think.)

So yeah.
This was a surprisingly insightful commentary of the fanfic community in general, and it repeatedly made me giggle. Well done sir, Well Done!

Entertaining stuff, but what really sealed the like from me was the way your self-insert was done. That really tickled me. :rainbowlaugh:

As I've said, this is a beautifully done piece of meta-fiction. Awesome as always.

6192613 While on fire, of course.

Tax Evasion.

You monster.

:rainbowlaugh: A fantastic piece of metafiction. This should be required reading for any prospective fan author. Great message, hilarious delivery. Thank you for it.

You are horrible, and I love you.

Ongoing. Still ongoing.

I love this story.

You deserve a trophy for best self-insert in a fanfic.

10314660

Oh neat, thanks!

Or, uh, sorry that your Patreon'ers made you do it. ;)

Heh, I remember this one story I read that was practically physically painful to read, bad Mary Sue OC, atrocious grammar, and even text speak. Turns out that the author did it all on purpose as a spoof on some of the bad habits of fanfictions.

I would love to sit down and see what Twilight would think of some of my attempts at writing, I'd even make a batch of mint juleps.

Twilight, myself, a couple of cold drinks (or warm drinks time of year depending) and some books/fanfictions and I would be in seventh heaven.

Well done metacomedy of for Fimfiction authors who are starting out

Two hundred years after Cloudsdale and all the other floating cities of ponykind fell to the earth, a lone wanderer sets out across the barren wasteland on a quest to bring back the world that once was. Ongoing. Still ongoing.

lol

Honestly, it was surprisingly wholesome with Twilight showing Rainbow her old story to encourage her. Great story. :ajsmug:

Login or register to comment