• Published 6th Jul 2015
  • 3,202 Views, 47 Comments

The Sun Sets at Twilight - ModMCdl



Twilight was her first friend. The first one to forgive her. There was no stopping the love that would engulf Sunset Shimmer's heart. But there is a way to stop it from blossoming.

  • ...
17
 47
 3,202

Places We Once Knew

The rest of her friends asked Sunset why she didn't go say goodbye to Twilight. Sunset couldn't answer. She could tell that they were all worried about her. She hadn't really said anything since that morning. Sunset just sighed at their questioning and left, exiting the school and heading toward her home. She didn't bother telling anyone, for she wouldn't be going to back there anyways.

Her plan to go back to Equestria and live in Ponyville had developed into a more stable concept, and she had finally decided to follow her heart and go home. Her real home. As long as she could spend more time with Twilight.

The walk home felt longer than usual, and a brisk chill blew through the air. It was exceptionally cool for a mid-April day. Gradually, the atmosphere shifted from a quaint, suburban district into a more urban area. Buildings towered over the teenager as she walked towards an older, brick building.

Sunset rounded a corner into an alley, and climbed up a fire escape to the top. Then, crawling carefully through a shattered window, she entered the old, abandoned attic of the building.

It was dark and dingy, the little lighting provided from the boarded-up windows slowly starting to fade out as the sun descended in the sky. Dust and other particles floated around and coated the surfaces of things Sunset barely used anymore, a few old textbooks, a radio that no longer worked. The musty wood provided a damp smell that Sunset had some to enjoy and appreciate over time, similar to that of a fermented wine.

Having arrived in the human world with nothing but the clothes the mirror had been courteous enough to provide her with, Sunset obviously couldn't afford a proper home. But the attic was cozy enough; over time, the fiery young teen had accumulated a old, weathered couch a table with a few chairs. She had even managed to snag a television that she jury-rigged up to the buildings TV satellite.

Looking around her four-year-old home, Sunset tried to decide what was worth keeping and bringing to Equestria. Her crowns were immediately out of the question. She was still surprised that she hadn't gotten rid of them yet. Grabbing the tattered blanket she slept with, she placed her spare clothes, a couple of bits she had with her, and Solar, a stuffed orange pegasus that Sunset had been given by Celestia as a foal, on top of it. Turning to the table, her gaze softened and she held up a framed photo of the seven of them hugging from after they defeated the Dazzlings. She placed that too in the blanket.

Thinking intuitively, Sunset also grabbed her iPod, charger, and ripped a power outlet out of the wall, promising to find a way to power it with magic or something. If not anything else, at least she could listen to the music until it eventually died.

Finally assuring herself that she needed nothing else, she waited until nightfall and headed out, giving her Human home one last, farewell glance. And then she left.

The brisk air nipped at her face as she approached Canterlot High's gates for the last time. Sunset paused, and then headed for the statue that represented the gateway between equine and human worlds. Placing her hand on the surface to make sure it was open, (or, in this case, through the surface), she gave one last look at the world, before stepping through.

Sunset Shimmer found herself flying through a dizzying, apparently endless expanse of colors, repeatedly flashing or growing brighter, causing a sense of nausea to form in the pit of her stomach. Yet, almost as soon as it began, the light show faded away, and Sunset fell out of the void, into a blurry room.

Confused and nauseated, the former human stumbled out of the mirror, attempting to walk on her two hind legs, which obviously didn't turn out too well. With a grunt, she fell forward, plopping onto her stomach. Groaning, she rubbed her head and made to get up.

At first, she could have sworn that she was back in the Crystal Empire; the room was clearly made of it, and gave off that faint shimmer that Equestrian crystal normally did. But the view out the window didn't fit the scene. Outside, Sunset could see a quaint little town, bustling with midday life, and an orchard of some sort, expanding into the hills off to the distance. Certainly no place for the Crystal Castle to be... or for that matter, ANY castle to be.

The newly human-turned-pony heard a noise off to her side, almost a humming of some sort. Still quite disoriented from her trip, Sunset turned, and saw a small purple figure placing books away in one of the many tall bookshelves lining the room's walls.

Groaning again, Sunset Shimmer stumbled towards the figure, until she was a few hooves away. "Twilight?" she mumbled.

The purple blob jumped, and turned around. Then, it screamed.

Planing her hoof against her ear, Sunset jerked away from the offensive noise, again, groaning. "Ohhhhhhh..." she moaned.

A door banged open somewhere, and she heard Twilight's worried voice echoing, "Spike?!"

'Oh,' she thought. 'That must have been Spike...' Sunset's mind was a seemingly jumble of random thoughts, colliding together. "T-twilight?" she groaned again, this time, falling to the floor.

Her head. Oh my gosh her head. It was a cacophony of loud noises, the sheer volume of which felt as though it would begin to rip her skull apart at any minute.

Finally, it slowly faded away and the serene silence of unconsciousness slowly pulled Sunset away from reality.

---

Twilight Sparkle looked down on the golden and red pony below her, in a mixture if shock, awe, and plain surprise. Spike hovered behind her, uncertain as to what he should do. Both of them were at a loss. It was Twilight who finally spoke.

"Spike... I think that her body may be in shock. She may even have a light concussion." The lavender mare looked towards him. "I want to you to get a pillow and a blanket from my bed." Naturally, she decided to take charge of the situation; something she did best.

Spike hurried off per the princess' orders, and Twilight focused her attention back to Sunset. 'What in Equestria happened to you?' Her draconian assistant bustled back into the library, clutching a dark navy blanket and lavender pillow.

"Here, Twilight," he said as the alicorn took the items with her magic. She gently lifted Sunset's head and placed the pillow underneath, then proceeding to cover up her friend with the blanket. Caringly, Twilight tucked in the edges of the blanket around the unconscious mare, careful to avoid the unusual additions that the portal had seemed to provide her with.

"Is there anything else you need?" asked Spike, who was standing awkwardly in the doorway.

Twilight smiled up at the dragon softly. "No Spike, that should be all. You can head to bed if you like," she replied, effectively guessing her assistant's intentions. Spike left, leaving the lavender mare alone with an unconscious Sunset Shimmer.

She took this time to study the fiery mare's face. Twilight hadn't seen much of pony Sunset, and was intrigued to observer he in her Equine form.

Sunset Shimmer's flaming mane cascaded outward in a seemingly random flow around her where she lay, imitating the chaotic display that Twilight had come to associate with an actual flame. Her coat was a color that the alicorn could only begin to describe as a cross between orange and golden; she resolved to call it "Sunset Glow," as the coat itself seemed to shimmer in radiance. Sunset's peaceful, sleeping form seemed to emanate beauty, power, and peace all at once, causing Twilight to smile softly in awe down at the mare.

For some odd reason, the bouquet of flowers came to Twilight's mind. She gazed over to a table near the window where the vase housing the flowers sat.

Twilight Sparkle, contrary to common ideas, was not a complete idiot when it came to love. Growing up the the Princess of Love herself as a foal-sitter had that effect. Just because she was awkward in certain romantic situations, didn't mean that she was completely oblivious. It was obvious that Sunset had a crush on somepony, and that she had picked out flowers just for them. What was strange, however, was the choice in colors.

It was increasingly common for somepony in Equestria to choose colors to match the color of their mane to give to their special somepony. However, Sunset's bouquet was a mystery, because of the fact that it had red and orange in it, yet it also had those odd splotches of purple. What they meant, well, Twilight admitted she did not entirely know.

The mare before her let out a small groan, and shivered slightly, attempting to pull the blanket around her tighter. Smiling gently, Twilight extended a wing over the mare, laying it to rest on top of her, giggling as a smile of unknown gratitude and warmth flowed over Sunset Shimmers face. Twilight could almost feel the love radiating outwards from her, but that was nothing unusual.

When the Elements of Harmony are used on a being, they scorch the soul in such a pervasive invasion of that being that an eternal connection is made between the catalyst and the soul. And in the few seconds that this occurs, Twilight could see into the unaltered essence of that pony, being, or person. Of course, this did not become apparent within her first times using the elements. She had only noticed it more prominently with Sunset Shimmer.

Twilight couldn't deny that she had a deeper connection with Sunset. It was almost as if they were an old couple. Twilight could read Sunset. She could see deep into the other mare's thoughts. And that... that was something.

The lavender alicorn smiled, not because of any random instance, but instead because she was unconsciously beginning to place together the parts of the puzzle that was Sunset Shimmer.

---

Sunset slowly woke up to the comfortable warm feeling of a soft, cozy blanket draped over her. She smiled, shifting slightly to feel the covering's furry softness caress her entire body. Still completely unaware of her surroundings, Sunset rolled over, in the process accidentally knocking the blanket off of her.

She gazed at the fleece through half-lidded eyes, wondering how she could still feel its softness if she had knocked it away. The thought process proved too much for Sunset's still sleeping mind, and she gave up, instead pulling the blanket still on her closer to wrap around her body.

That's when her new blanket let out a yelp.

The unicorn's eyes shot open, and she glared at the offending piece of cloth angrily. However, the image of the blanket in her mind did not much the blanket she currently saw. The image she had portrayed depicted the blanket as black, when in reality, it was a deep lavender. This didn't strike her as odd, as a blanket could be many colors. What did strike her as odd was that her blanket had sprouted feathers.

Sunset was just about to question the mystery when she felt a warm presence behind her scooch up to her, pressing against her back. The wing she was holding onto flexed slightly, pulling itself into a better position. The fiery mare just lay there, unmoving, as she was cuddled up against what she could only hope was Twilight Sparkle, and not some random purple pegasus.

Purple pegasus? Sunset glanced downwards, and her theory was confirmed. Her two front hooves were laying out before her. Looking back, however, she couldn't figure out why she didn't realize it before. But it had been so long since she had been in this world, it must have surprised her. There was no other explanation for it.

As her eyes adjusted to the ever-growing darkness in the room, the mare was able to make out the telltale purple glow of unicorn magic emanating from behind her. Sunset finally fully relaxed, and closed her eyes. The alicorn behind her was most definitely Twilight. Sunset leaned back into the comforting embrace, and began to drift off once again, cocooned by the warm feeling of those lavender wings.

That is of course until she heard the fluttering of different wings and the light patter of something landing near her.

"Owlicious!" whispered Twilight in a scolding manner. "Don't bother her, she's sleeping."

Wondering was in Equestria was going on, Sunset cracked her eyes open again, only to be met with two yellow glowing orbs. She did the only thing that came to her mind; she screamed.

Twilight jumped and yelped as the fiery mare next to her pushed against her in a struggle to get away from the "monster."

"WHAT IS THAT!" screamed Sunset. "GET IT AWAY FROM ME!"

Twilight tried to calm the poor mare down. "Sunset, calm down!" she cried as the mare tried to clamber over her in a vain attempt. "It's just my owl!" She held the mare steady with her magic. "Just... calm down."

The fiery mare's heart finally returned to a normal pace, and she relaxed into the magical grip. The aura gently set her down and Sunset made an effort to stand, as all hopes of her rest were now dashed by that owl. Just for good measure, she stuck her tongue out at the nocturnal menace, which just gave a small "hoot!" in reply.

Twilight also stood up, turning towards Sunset with an uneasy gaze, and said, "Actually, you may want to sit back down."

That sentence make Sunset's heart freeze in fear, and she immediately sat down. Nothing that followed that phrase could be good. It just couldn't be. The ominous tone that Twilight used, and the grim features of her face outlines by the weak glow of the candle rested on the table... it just added up to bad news. Steeling herself for whatever was to come, she waited patiently to hear whatever news the lavender alicorn must bring.

The Princess of Friendship sat down and sighed. "I don't know exactly how to tell you this, but um... you have something new," she said softly. "Something that I know for a fact wasn't there the last time you were here, and something that I'm pretty sure Celestia doesn't know about."

Sunset blushed. After all, she was used to the perverted makeup of high-school teens, and how immature they could be at times. Having that mindset rooted into her brain... she feared the worse, and looked down underneath her.

Twilight must have caught on to what she was doing, and she too flushed a deep crimson that blended with her coat perfectly. Sunset decided that she wanted to see Twilight like that as often as equinely possible.

"No- um... just no. It's not that," stuttered Twilight hastily, before mumbling something unintelligible under her breath.

Confused as to what else it could be, Sunset cut to the chase and asked, "Well, then what is it?"

Taking a deep breath, Twilight spoke again. "Sunset Shimmer, somehow, over the course of whatever has happened, you have..." the lavender mare gestured to Sunset's back.

"You have grown wings."

Author's Note:

Well, sorry for the long wait guys...

HOWS THAT FOR A BLOODY PLOT TWIST?!?!