• Published 6th Jul 2015
  • 3,198 Views, 47 Comments

The Sun Sets at Twilight - ModMCdl



Twilight was her first friend. The first one to forgive her. There was no stopping the love that would engulf Sunset Shimmer's heart. But there is a way to stop it from blossoming.

  • ...
17
 47
 3,198

Choose Your Words Carefully

The glare of the sun dissipated over the horizon, slowly shrouding the world in a dark blanked, pierced only by the light of the moon coming up over the opposite crest. It was a stunning sight. Yet it resembled something greater. Something close to home. It resembled love.

Sunset Shimmer gazed out into the stellar light show, sitting on the edge of a hill. And of course, Twilight was on her mind.

Twilight Sparkle. She made the term "go gay for a friend" literal in Sunset's eyes. Before she was reformed, if you could even call it that, never before had she even considered liking another girl in that way. Especially after the pleasurable experiences she had with Flash.

Perhaps that was it.

Dating Flash Sentry was a reminder of her past life. It was a burden she had to carry, and she did not want to carry it. But that could not have been the only reason she started liking Twilight. That would be cold and selfish.

Twilight had welcomed her in. She had seen the best of her. Twilight had been her first... friend. There was a special bond between them. The bond was present between all of her friends, but with Twilight, it was stronger. And over time, it just became stronger. Until it soon evolved into something more than friendship. It wasn't long until Sunset Shimmer realized that she loved Twilight Sparkle.

The revelation had come to Sunset while she was sitting in the lunchroom one day, picking at her food while some idiot snicked at her and "accidentally" bumped into her. It was very shortly after her change and she was constantly looking back at it in a mixture of awe, sadness, and guilt. It was that day that she realized exactly what part of the memory triggered the "awe" sense.

Shortly thereafter, she was filled with a sense of sorrow. Twilight would never like her in that way, for one, because everyone knew she had a major crush on Flash Sentry. Two, Twilight obviously was not homosexual. Also, Twilight probably wouldn't come back, and if she did, it wouldn't be for a long time.

But she did come back. And Sunset was overjoyed. She almost told her that first night, when the two had stayed up at Pinkie's house, but she couldn't gain the moral strength to do so. Then after the Battle of The Bands, she felt closer than ever to Twilight. And then she left again, with Sunset unable to get the courage to tell her how she felt.

Sunset spent the next few months crying whenever nobody was around, and hugging a stuffed purple unicorn that she had purchased at Build-A-Bear, a poor substitute for a living, breathing person.

Then she surprised everyone including Sunset, arriving here on vacation, just two short months from Christmas. Twilight had told them all it was close to Hearth's Warming Eve, and she needed a slight break from routine. "Just feeling a little overwhelmed," was the reason she gave Applejack when she suddenly stepped out of the portal. Twilight was back, and Sunset was ready to finally tell her. The only question, was how to do it.

And even to that, Sunset had a pretty good idea of what she wanted to do.


The next morning, Sunset Shimmer stepped into school with a slight spring in her step, a bouquet of fresh flowers from "The Lucky Rose" in her left hand, ready to give to Twilight.

Sure, she got a few strange glances walking down the halls, but that didn't matter. Soon, Twilight and her would be girlfriends, and everything would be happy.

Sunset had a whole speech ready in her head, ready to say to Twilight. The fiery teen giggled lightly as she dubbed her speech "Rainbow Dash Awesome" and smiled gleefully. No, nothing could get her down today.

The flowers were placed gently in her locker, ready for third period where she knew Twilight would be outside with the rest of the girls, watching Rainbow practice soccer during their free period.

The first two periods went by quickly, with Sunset incredibly anxious and feverishly glancing at the clock. Finally third period came, and as custom, the seven of them went out back to the soccer fields. That was the long part.

The our seemed to take forever to pass by for Sunset. Constantly checking her phone to see that only two minutes had passed since she had last checked. But eventually, third period began to end, and Sunset excused herself to her locker.

Quickly grabbing her flowers, and heading back to the field, Sunset exited the building and walked around the corner, only to quickly hide behind it again.

Someone had beaten her to Twilight.

"Hey, um, Twi?"

Rainbow spoke hesitantly, not sure of whether she should lead into it, or just pop the question.

"What is it Rainbow?" replied Twilight Sparkle cheerfully. She turned to face her friend, completely oblivious to the blush beginning to creep over the other girl's face.

The rainbow haired girl nervously kicked her soccer ball up to her hands and began to fiddle with it nervously. "I, um... do you want to maybe... go on a date? Sometime?" she asked, looking anywhere but Twilight.

"Oh Rainbow," said Twilight smiling softly. "I would love to." The other girl's eyes darted up, and a gleeful smile spread across her face. "But I can't." The smile vanished.

Sunset Shimmer stood behind the corner of the gym, peeking out, one hand gripping the wall corner, the other clutching her bouquet of red, orange, and lavender flowers.

She had been crushed and heart broken when Twilight had almost agreed, but now, even though she felt bad for Dash, she couldn't help felt a surge of relief at her princess turning the athlete down..

"Your pony version beat you to the chase."

And with that line, Sunset's heart was broken one more, dangling in tatters held up by frayed heartstrings. Twilight couldn't date human Rainbow Dash because pony Rainbow Dash was dating her. Which meant that she couldn't date Sunset either. The poor girl's crush was taken. The fiery girl turned and began to walk away, dropping the bouquet as she went.


As Twilight and Rainbow parted ways, Twilight breathed a sigh of relief. That was a close one. Before she had left for this vacation, Cadence had come up with a plan in case any of her friends in the human world was interested in a romantic relationship.

"Just let them down by telling them you're dating the pony alternate," Cadence had said.

"What if Sunset Shimmer asks me?" Twilight had asked.

Cadence just smirked slyly and said, "She is the pony version."

An incredibly cryptic answer on love from the Princess of Love. In the end, Cadence eventually just told her to improvise. And also seemed to push the fact that a relationship between the two wouldn't be as strange since there was only one known Sunset Shimmer.

Suddenly, she felt something crunch under her foot. Looking down, Twilight saw that she had accidentally stepped on a bouquet of extremely beautiful flowers. Twilight picked them up, and looked them over. They were the same flowers that she had seen Sunset mysteriously slip into her locker earlier this morning. Twilight had thought someone had given them to her, because from a distance, they sorted to match her hair. But up close, she noticed specs of purple as well.

Twilight's color of purple.


By the time lunch had ruled around, all of Twilight's friends had heard of what had happened between Twilight and Dash. The six girls, only Twilight was missing, sat at the table, trying to console a Rainbow Dash who didn't want it nor need it.

"I'm fine, girls!" cried Dash for the umpteenth time. "Besides, now I can have the resolution of knowing that pony me is just as awesome at asking people out as me!"

"Maybe if yer real nice and ask Twi, she'll let ya' in on a threesome!" said Applejack. "Then you get to experience just how awesome ya' are at-"

"Applejack, don't be so uncouth," interjected Rarity. "It isn't becoming of a lady to freely discuss such... taboo matters."

"Taboo matters- Rarity, don't be such a killjoy," groaned Rainbow Dash.

Sunset was silent this whole time, trying desperately to hold back the flow of tears while picking at her salad. She didn't want to be here anymore. She wanted to just go home. And not to her human world home.

She wanted to go home to Equestria. She wanted to be somewhere where she could at least be near Twilight as a friend, instead of having to be stuck here, only seeing the girl in short periods with months in between. Maybe she could even find a way to live with her, as a room mate or something.

She was jogged out of her thoughts by Rarity clearing her throat loudly in her ear. "What?" snapped Sunset Shimmer, glaring at the fashonista.

A little taken aback by Sunset's rudeness, Rarity only gestured to someone behind her. Turning around, the fiery teen came face-to-skirt with Twilight Sparkle.

Blushing lightly and backing up, Sunset fought harder to hold back her tears as she looked to see what Twilight had to say.

"I- I'm going to head home now," said Twilight, looking around at the group, her eyes lingering on Sunset for a bit longer, an action that went unnoticed, much to the princess' relief.

"You're leaving already?" asked Fluttershy. "But you only got here a few days ago."

"Yea, I'm sorry girls, it's just that, I- I'm feeling a little homesick." The group accepted the excuse with little thought, and sought to say their goodbyes. Turning to Dash, Twilight added, "I'm sorry again, Rainbow."

The rainbow haired girl waved a hand at Twilight. "I told you already Twi, don't beat yourself up over it! Two of me would be two much for you to handle all the time anyways." It took all of Sunset's willpower not to clap Rainbow across the face. "Say though, there is an idea I had..."

The group wandered off with Twilight, heading towards the front of the building, and in turn, the portal to see Twilight off. Sunset Shimmer was the only one who stayed behind, finally letting a tear slip out and slide down her cheek.

Author's Note:

All of my TwiDash fans will be so disappointing.

Twidashforever said: No! No! Bad! Rainbow is not amused at you trying to steal her wafu.

OH WELL! :twilightsheepish: