• Published 5th Jul 2015
  • 3,862 Views, 325 Comments

The Phantom Pony of Everfree - LightningSword



Who is the Phantom Pony of Everfree? What is he? And can he be approached with anything but fear?

  • ...
17
 325
 3,862

Dance with the Devil

Rarity's already upset enough about that Phantom Pony! How is she going to react now that there's a Lamia loose on top of it?! Before, it was Fluttershy, but now it's her own sister! And I couldn't do a thing to help! She'll never forgive me!!

Spike’s little legs pumped harder and faster by the second as he made a beeline for Carousel Boutique. He reached the front door of the boutique in record time and burst through the door without bothering to knock. “RARITY!! RARITY, WHERE ARE YOU?! WE NEED YOUR HELP!!”

Noisy hoofsteps sounded off from the staircase, and they bore Rarity onto the ground floor. “Spikey, darling!” she gasped when she saw him as he was now bent over and gasping for breath. “What's happened to you? Are you all right, dear? Are you hurt? Tell me what's wrong, and Rarity will make it all better, I promise!”

“No . . . not me . . .” Spike heaved, still gaining his breath back, “. . . Sweetie . . . Belle . . . .”

Rarity gasped again. “My sister? Oh, what's happened to her, Spikey? Is she all right? Please, tell me!!”

Spike fought his exhaustion with all his might, “She . . . and Scootaloo . . . and Apple Bloom . . . Everfree . . . taken . . . monster!”

“What?!” Rarity screamed. “A monster in Everfree?! Was it that beastly Phantom Pony? I WILL END HIM!!”

“Not him . . .” Spike heaved, “. . . no time to explain . . . we gotta get the others . . . now!”

“Say no more, Spike!” Rarity replied, swiftly lifting Spike up onto her back and racing out the door. “We'll have to split up! I'll find Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash! You get Twilight and Applejack!”

“Twilight can't!” Spike explained further, “That thing broke into the library and attacked Fluttershy! Twilight's staying with her!”

“Oh, dear, no! Fluttershy hurt, and Sweetie Belle and her friends gone?! Absolutely terrible!”

Spike started feeling a pang of guilt, and found himself replying without even meaning to, “Rarity, I . . . I'm sorry. I couldn't stop it . . . I wasn't strong enough to save them . . . it's . . . it's all my fault!”

The two came to a crossroad, and Rarity stopped, setting him down. “Don't you take one bit of blame for this, Spikey-wikey,” she answered, caressing his cheek with a hoof. “It's this beast who's to blame, not you. We mustn't give up hope now. We have to do whatever it takes to save them! We'll set everything right, I promise. Now go! Get Applejack! Now!”

“Right!” Spike raced down one road, while Rarity sped down the other, each of them setting their sights on uniting their group.


The Lamia finally set down in front of the Everfree Forest, and Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo still screamed and struggled against its gripping tail. The Lamia slithered into the woods, and the darkness covered them from head to hoof, hiding them from anypony that might be on the way to rescue them.

Scootaloo was the first one to summon up enough courage to speak, “Wh-what . . . what are you gonna do with us, y-you freaky . . . cat . . . snake . . . thing?!”

The Lamia gave a chilling hiss of a snicker before responding, “I'm a Lamia, my little pony-bite. Pity you didn't learn about us in school. Not that it would help you to know that you're on today's menu!!”

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!” Sweetie Belle squealed, “fearful” not nearly enough to describe her voice. “Please! Don't eat us! Please! We're ponies! You don't want us! We don't taste good! We . . . we taste like glue!!”

This only served to make the Lamia salivate. “Mmmm . . . delectable . . . .”

“Way to go, Sweetie Belle,” Scootaloo deadpanned. “You wanna grab a twig and give us a garnish while you're at it?!”

“Well how was I supposed to know Lamias like glue?!” Sweetie Belle bit back. “I don’t even know if we really taste like that!!”

“Calm down, y'all,” Apple Bloom spoke up. “We can get outta this. We just have to stay positive and work together!”

Scootaloo sighed and nodded. “Apple Bloom's right. If we turn on each other, there won't be anything left for that thing to eat! We gotta keep it together! We're the Cutie Mark Crusaders! When we're together, we can do anything!”

Sweetie Belle whimpered as the Lamia's tail tightened around them. “I don't even care if we get our cutie marks today!” she whined. “I just wanna be able to try again tomorrow!”

“There is no 'tomorrow' for you little sweet treats!” the Lamia hissed. “Your end is today!”

The girls continued to struggle as their capturer continued to slither through the dirt and mulch of the dark forest. The shadows threatened to engulf them indefinitely as they passed tree after tree, dark bushes, broken twigs, a pair of glowing red eyes, scattering animals—

“What was that?!”

The Crusaders and their captor did a double-take, and saw that they had indeed passed a pair of glowing eyes, like scarlet lamps burning in the shadows of the woods. Suddenly, a dark figure from the same area lashed out with a snarl at the Lamia, catching her in the gut, throwing her several feet into the woods and sending her (and the dizzy Crusaders) rolling into a clearing full of weak sunshine.

As the Lamia righted herself, she glanced wildly in every direction. “Who dares!” she screeched. “Show yourself!”

As if on cue, the shadowy figure stepped out from the darkness at the edge of the clearing. He was a silvery-coated Pegasus stallion, tall and willowy, with a wild, spiky mane of jet-black hair streaked with midnight blue. Perched atop his head was a stainless white fedora with a black band.

“You know what you just said?” he asked the Lamia. “‘No tomorrow’? ‘Your end is today’? Funny how sometimes we tend to project.”

“What? You?!” the Lamia roared. “You wanna get in my way again?”

“I think you have things confused,” the stallion retorted. “You are the burr under my saddle, and I will not tolerate you in my territory anymore.”

“I only brushed you aside before, Pegasus! Get lost, or fear for more than just a bump on the head once I'm through with these fillies!”

The stallion merely scoffed, accompanying it with a crooked sneer. “You think you know fear?” He crouched down low and flexed his wings, which the Crusaders only now saw were not only easily twice the length of the stallion’s body at full span, but were also coal-black and leathery, like dragon wings.

All three Crusaders screamed as the stallion’s eyes began to glow a blinding bright red, the light encompassing the entirety of each eye as if they’d turned into a pair of fiery red suns in his head.

I AM FEAR!!

Nocturne’s bellow sent a flock of birds fluttering out of a nearby treetop. The Lamia hissed back and raced at him as Nocturne charged. She swiped at him with a paw, but he ducked and launched his right front hoof into her face. The Lamia retaliated by slashing at Nocturne with the other paw, nicking his shoulder. Knocked away by the hit, Nocturne bounced back and tackled his foe, making her grunt and loosen her tail, dropping the three fillies into a pile on a grassy patch.

“You scum!” the Lamia roared as the trio scrambled away. “You made me lose my meal!!” She bared her fangs and lunged, attempting to sink them into Nocturne's neck, but he pressed his hooves against her lips to stop her. Seizing an opportunity, she swung her paw into Nocturne's stomach, knocking him backwards into the dirt. She then threw her tail at him and wrapped it around his right foreleg. She pulled, reeling him in painfully and shouting, “GET OVER HERE!!”

Nocturne flailed helplessly and braced for another swipe of a claw that tore into his other shoulder. He dropped like a stone before the Lamia, still caught by her tail, and moaned as she lifted him up to meet her eyes. “You’re slipping, my old friend,” she gloated. “You were a heck of a lot stronger than this ten years ago. Did these little ponies bothering you every day make you soft?”

Nocturne didn’t reply. Instead, he growled as he reached his head up and sank his teeth into the Lamia’s tail as it secured his hoof. She squealed in agony as Nocturne pulled himself up on her tail as if on a rope and thrust his back legs into her chest, throwing her backwards. The Lamia recovered quickly and whirled around, whipping Nocturne in the face with her tail and sending him plowing into a dead tree. He stumbled to his feet, eyed the Lamia with malice in his burning red eyes, and spit the tip of the Lamia’s serpentine tail out of his mouth.

All the while, the Cutie Mark Crusaders watched from the side of the clearing they had scurried to. The urge to run had drained away, and they stood transfixed, as if watching a train wreck.

The Lamia unfurled its wings and charged, but Nocturne raced in head-on, taking to the air on his own massive wings. The Lamia’s claw raked his face, while his hoof bashed her snout in. With the same lightning reflexes, the beast flexed her wings full span, catching Nocturne with one of them and sending him flying into another tree. But Nocturne was quicker this time—he pressed his back hooves into the tree as he connected and sprang off of it, ricocheting back toward the Lamia and catching her in the neck with his front hooves.

Nocturne thrusted his opponent into a tree behind her and had her pinned to it by her throat. The creature struggled and sputtered, swinging her paws, shaking her wings, and flailing her tail. She was panicking, losing control of the situation—and within another few seconds, her body.

The Lamia wasn't the only panic-stricken creature in the area; the Cutie Mark Crusaders continued to stare in awe at the battle as Nocturne struggled to keep the Lamia contained.

All three jumped as Nocturne glanced down at the girls with his luminous eyes. What he said next took a few seconds to register:

“Go. Now!”