• Published 5th Jul 2015
  • 3,860 Views, 325 Comments

The Phantom Pony of Everfree - LightningSword



Who is the Phantom Pony of Everfree? What is he? And can he be approached with anything but fear?

  • ...
17
 325
 3,860

You've Got Mail

The image of the burning red eyes slicing a monstrous light through the dark of the Everfree returned to mind. There was a good chance of a repeat performance right this minute. But Fluttershy shook off the fear—she had to take that risk.

She slowly approached the border to the Everfree Forest, still feeling a tad nervous even after disposing of her cowardice. Having seen Nocturne's temper, up close and at its most tempestuous, there was still at least a sliver of doubt to be had. She wouldn't run away this time, though. She was determined, and she would stay that way. She had to show Nocturne the kindness he needed, even if nopony—not even himself—believed he deserved it.

She'd worked out a plan for this moment while she’d written the letter earlier; it was simple, easy, and would prevent conflict of any kind. She'd knock on a tree, almost like knocking on a neighbor's door, leave the letter right on the border to the woods, and walk away before Nocturne saw her. Knowing him, he'd hear the noise and run to confront the “trespassers”, and if Fluttershy was gone by the time he arrived, the letter left in her place, he was sure to find it. It was the perfect plan.

She reached out and tapped on the nearest tree with her hoof (it sounded a bit louder than she was expecting), then reached into the fold under her wing and grabbed . . . .

Nothing.

She felt around deeper under her wing with a hoof, and felt nothing but fur and feathers. No letter. She bent her head down to see underneath, and saw nothing. She did the same thing under her other wing, checking with her eyes and her hooves. There was nothing there, as well.

Now, she started to panic.

“Oh, dear!” Fluttershy fretted, looking all around her to make sure she didn't drop it. “Oh, no! Where is it? Oh, where is it? I hope I didn't lose it! Please tell me I didn't lose it!” She looked all around, but couldn't find it anywhere. Her heart began racing faster every second she was forced to believe she had.

Fluttershy heard rustling in the forest, and her heart rate intensified. Nocturne had been furious with her when she'd had a reason to be here. Now that she didn't, who knew what he would do to her? Having no other choice, Fluttershy turned and flew upwards, keeping her line of sight focused on the ground beneath her so she could retrace her steps. Let's see, she thought, I left the house, walked down the walkway, helped a mouse across the walk, and then I bumped into—

OH, NO!!

Fluttershy flapped harder and stayed high above the ground. She knew exactly where that letter might be, but she was going to need some help in finding the pony who’d taken it. Fluttershy didn't even know if the mail mare knew who Nocturne was or where he lived, and judging from her workload, she could be anywhere by now. It may be awhile before she even noticed Nocturne's letter, but she still had to be caught before she found and delivered it. Nocturne showed Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash little to no mercy, and considering the absent-mindedness of the sweet mail delivery pony, she had no idea what she was about to get herself into.

Fluttershy made her way quickly to Sweet Apple Acres. There was only one pony she knew who could help her best.

* * *

The burning red eyes cut through the shadow of the forest and out into the clear. That insufferable Pegasus meddler was back again, probably with another ridiculous gift of friendship and kindness. When would this torment end? He’d already had to take drastic measures against the rainbow-haired Pegasus that had deliberately antagonized him yesterday—this meant that he’d have to make good on his vow and do the same to this little yellow menace. No matter how nice she was or how cute she looked, she’d been warned, and now she had to pay. No matter how loudly she squealed.

As soon as the eyes hit the clearing, they swept the area, scrutinized the grass, and saw . . . .

Nothing.

Nocturne gently poked his head out from the brush to get a better look, and when his vision tilted upwards into the sky, he saw Fluttershy flying away in a panic. She'd been scared away before he'd even got there. Was she really that much of a coward? If Nocturne were capable of laughter anymore, he'd find it humorous.

But at the same time, that feeling resurfaced. To say it had “returned” would imply that it had ever left—but it was always there. And no matter how terrifying he acted or how monstrous he presented himself to be, it would always be there. It was there when he'd first scared Fluttershy away. It was there after he'd disappeared after hurting her impudent rainbow-maned friend. It was there every day since he'd left Ponyville.

Loneliness.

Isolation.

Pain.

No matter what he did, it was always there.

“. . . Please don't go . . . .”

* * *

The third pony she’d asked furrowed her brow as soon as the word was spoken. After showing her the note and asking who 'Knock-turnee' was, the resident had taken the time to correct her. Evidently, it was pronounced “Knock-turn”. Who knew, right?

The pony took her mail and said good-day before closing the door. “Hmm,” the mail mare muttered, concerned as she sat on the porch, “I just don't know what went wrong . . . .” This was going to be difficult. She might just end up with one undelivered letter at the end of her shift. But she couldn’t let that happen; she always delivered every letter and package she was given, on time, every day. Sighing the undeterred sigh of a true delivery pony, she stood up, hefted up her bag, and pressed on. She had a lot of work to do, and she had to find out who this “Knock-turnee” pony was eventually. There was no address, but if he lived in Ponyville, somepony had to know exactly where, right?

And everypony had to get their mail. It was her job, and she would see it through to the end.

Putting 'Knock-turnee's' note back in the bag, she moved on to the next house.

* * *

“Lemme get this straight,” Applejack spoke earnestly, looking back at Fluttershy in confusion, “you want me to help you find a mail pony who picked up a letter by mistake—a letter you’d written for a ghost, no less—and if we don’t find it, the pony she delivers it to is gonna beat her up, just like he did to Rainbow Dash?”

“Oh, please, Applejack,” Fluttershy begged after finishing her explanation. “I need to get that letter back before she delivers it. After what happened to Rainbow Dash, if something happened to her, I . . . well . . . I could never forgive myself. She’s just so sweet and innocent, and she doesn’t deserve to get hurt over something she’s not even involved in . . . .”

Applejack sighed, “Fluttershy, I'd love to help y'all, but . . . I really think this Nocturne is somepony you shouldn’ta dealt with to begin with. I mean, ya saw what he did to Rainbow. If he's that rough, think of what he coulda done to you.”

“But, Applejack,” Fluttershy attempted to argue. “Please understand. I know what Nocturne did was wrong, but if he hadn’t been threatened, he wouldn’t have hurt Rainbow Dash. I know this was a big risk, but I was willing to take it myself . . . oh, but that doesn't mean I want you to worry about me, I just . . . well, now another friend might be on her way to him, and after what happened to Rainbow Dash . . . oh, this has all gotten so out of hoof . . . I just don't know what to do . . . .”

“Calm down, sugarcube,” Applejack soothed her, putting a hoof on her shoulder. “I still think Nocturne is a bad'n, but this don’t mean I won’t help ya. A friend of ours needs us, and we gotta help her before it’s too late. Gimme a few seconds to get ready, and I'll come with ya.”

Fluttershy beamed. “Thank you, Applejack!” she chirped, hugging the Earth pony. “You're such a wonderful friend! And I promise, once we get the letter back, I won't ask you to do anything involving Nocturne ever again.”

Applejack's brow furrowed as she answered, “Only if you promise me somethin' else, hon. Promise me you won't get in too deep with this Phantom varmint. I don't want him hurtin' you or anypony else the same way he hurt Rainbow.”

“Don't worry,” Fluttershy assured. “He won't.” Applejack walked back to the barn, seeming satisfied with the answer. But Fluttershy wasn't sure she could keep this promise. She was already in deep with Nocturne, and she wasn't sure how she could get herself out—or even if she would.

Fluttershy only hoped this letter would help. If it didn't, she just didn't know what else she could do. Somepony was already in danger, and Fluttershy was unwilling to let somepony else pay for her mistakes.

* * *

Another closed door, with another pony behind it who didn’t know who “Knock-turn” was.

I don’t understand, the mail pony thought, confused. Where is this pony? Why doesn’t anypony know where they live? She still hadn't found a clue as to who “Knock-turn” was (by now, “Knock-turnee” had become a hard habit to break), but they seemed like they didn't even live in Ponyville. She couldn't understand why, though; she knew some ponies didn’t live in normal houses, but where else could they go? As far as she knew, there were no homeless ponies in Ponyville. And even if there were, they must not have received letters very often; every letter she’d ever delivered was addressed.

She suddenly remembered something; she'd thought back to Fluttershy’s words about her own letter for a friend, and that she was going to the Forest to deliver it personally. Was this that letter? It would explain why there was no address on it. “Maybe she changed her mind?” she asked herself as she eyed the letter, glancing between it and the border to the Everfree Forest a long distance away.

Now knowing that this “Knock-turn” (“Knock-turnee”?) had a potential address gave her a clue. It wasn't really a proper address, but it was close enough. And as far as whether Fluttershy wanted to deliver the letter herself, she just shrugged it off. If she had the letter now, it must mean Fluttershy trusted her enough to deliver it. Sure, she'd caused some accidents around town, but if the kindest Pegasus in Ponyville trusted her with such an important delivery, then she wouldn’t let her down. Fluttershy’s mystery friend would get their letter, and Fluttershy herself would be so happy at not having to do the work. Fluttershy might not see his reaction, but she was sure it would be worth it to do something nice in return for Fluttershy’s help earlier.

Hoisting up her bag, she spread her wings and made her way for Everfree Forest. “Knock-turn” (or “Knock-turnee”) had a special delivery coming for him.