• Published 3rd Jul 2015
  • 5,011 Views, 892 Comments

Snails 1/2: Vol 2 The Perfect Stallion - kitsy-chan



Cursed, Snails searches for a way out of a life that would be a dream for some, but a nightmare for him. The continuing story of Snails as he travels to the Crystal Empire with his mentor.

  • ...
16
 892
 5,011

Part 9: She Clearly Has.

Author's Note:

For the true feel of the train scene, feel free to play:

Part 9

“You got your cutie mark!”

“Oh, it’s so pretty!”

“A mark like that belongs on a mare.”

She Clearly Has

It had been another typical day in Ponyville: The sun had been out all day warming the backs and hearts of the townsponies. There had been an impromptu parade as the counter for ‘Days since monster attack’ shifted from 13 to 14.

The train had arrived just a half an hour ago, and Escargot was already with her friends. The whole group had come out to meet her as she got off the train.

“Was it fun?!” Sweetie Belle called out.

“Who’s your friend?” Scootaloo asked.

Apple Bloom butted in, “Didja remember to bring back some apples?”

Escargot barely had time to open her mouth before the screams started. The flower trio ran by, screaming in terror. Ponyville descended into chaos as its citizens panicked.

A young mare galloped headlong into a board labeled ‘days since last monster attack’, sending the numbers tumbling to the ground. Days since last monster attack: 0. Twilight ran towards her castle to gather the elements.

“What’s going on?” Noi asked, shivering in fear against Escargot.

Dinky trembled and hid under Escargot. “I want my mommy.”

Another roar filled the air. A large, black creature leapt from the roof of the train with feline grace. It was catlike and well-muscled, shrouded in mist and smoke. Down its back, a row of misty tendrils lashed in all directions. The creature was larger than Big Mac, and twice as long.

As Apple Bloom turned to run, a tendril whipped towards her and grabbed her leg, throwing her against the wall hard enough to knock the wind from the little filly.

Sweetie Belle tried the only spell she’d practiced, and launched a little sparkly bolt at the creature. It sputtered and bounced harmlessly off an ethereal shield guarding the monster.

Glancing at the girls, Escargot did the only thing she really knew how to do- she lit her horn. Maybe the light would catch the attention of the Element Bearers and they would come to save them.

The creature recoiled at the light, hissing. “Do you really think that will save you, pony? How long do you think you can keep that up, hmm? Seconds? Minutes? Eventually you will tire, then I shall have you and your little friends for myself.” It grinned.

Escargot stepped back, looking for an escape route.

Run, flee little thing. Save yourself and leave the others to me.” The shadow licked its lips in anticipation.

She looked at her friends. They needed her- she couldn’t just run.

Their love and friendship bound them together, gave her strength, cause, and purpose. Escargot looked at her friends around her and turned to face the creature. “I won’t abandon them, ever!”

She could feel their love coursing through her, giving her strength and power. She channeled their love through her light, giving her what she needed. It was a weapon against the shadow, a weapon of pure love and light to banish the darkness.

Digging her hooves in, she faced the creature, letting their energies flow through her. She cried out, “You are a creature of darkness and hate, you have no power here!”

Horn glowing brightly, she lashed out with everything she had, smashing the creature’s shield with a brilliant beam of light. It pierced through the creature, it in half until it faded into nothing. Panting hard, Escargot lowered her horn, her hips burning with heat and energy.

“Escargot, look! You got your cutie mark!!!” Scootaloo cried out in excitement.

Looking back at her flank, she saw a bright red jeweled heart, encircled by a lace ribbon tied with a delicate bow. It was a symbol of the love everyone had for her, how that love tied her friends together.

“Oh, it’s so pretty! And the lace, so feminine! It fits you perfectly!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed.

Apple Bloom bounced up, “Yeah! She clearly has!”

Looking at her mark, she began running in circles in a frenzy. “Oh no, Oh no, Oh no!”

“What’s wrong, Escargot?” She heard her mom call out.

“Snails is a stallion- a mark like that belongs on a mare. One who uses magic, and one that has no place in this house.” Her dad called out

Looking down, Escargot saw her shadow- the long legs, the slender body, the long horn. Slowly, a pair of wings formed, spreading out from behind her shadow. It was just too much. Escargot collapsed to the ground and started bawling her eyes out.

Luna slowly lowered her wings to her side and silently approached Escargot. She had sensed the turmoil in this filly’s dreams- she could sense her distress from the Crystal Empire, all the way to Canterlot.

Luna sat next to Escargot and put her wing gently around the little foal. “What’s wrong, little one?”

Escargot sniffled and kept crying while trying to talk. “I don’t wanna be a princess. I don’t wanna be an alicorn. I don’t wanna live on the street and then get banished to the moon.”

Banished to the moon? Luna leaned away a little from the foal. “Who would banish you?”

“Twilight, Celestia, and even you cuz I don’t deserve this. I don’t deserve any of this.” Escargot whimpered, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Luna looked down and used her other wing to wipe the little foal’s eyes. “This is just a bad dream, a nightmare. You’re not an alicorn, and not really a princess.”

“But what about the mark?” He said looking at the mark on his hip. “I got it for saving my friends?”

“It’s only a dream: the mark isn’t real. Maybe that will be your mark someday, or maybe it will be something different. Whatever happens, you must know- it’s just for you, and nopony else can judge it.” Luna smiled reassuringly.

“Celestia wants me to go to the school for gifted unicorns. Twilight is teaching me, and I really like magic.” Escargot sniffled. “My dad hates magic though. if I use magic, he’ll kick me out of the house.”

“I’ll talk to my sister and see what we can do to help.” Luna said softly. “You shouldn’t fear this though- I will be here help you through this, as will Twilight. However, I ask you to consider this for a moment: You dream about saving your friends and protecting them. What does that say about you?”

“Would they still be my friends if they knew the truth? If they knew I was really-”

“MORNING, ESCARGOT!”

Escargot bolted upright as the full force of the little griffin landed on her stomach and- well, she was grateful she wasn’t a colt right now. Still, it was a tender spot that the grifflet’s hind legs landed on. Feeling a little ill, Escargot coughed a few times.

“Morning, Gisa.” Escargot picked up the little griffin and gave her a bear hug. Not because Gisa needed it, but because she did.

“You were whimpering in your sleep! Are you ok, princess?”

Escargot quickly checked her hip in a flash of alarm. His blank flank had never been more comforting. Strange, who would have though being a blank flank would bring such a feeling of relief to anypony?