• Published 3rd Jul 2015
  • 5,006 Views, 892 Comments

Snails 1/2: Vol 2 The Perfect Stallion - kitsy-chan



Cursed, Snails searches for a way out of a life that would be a dream for some, but a nightmare for him. The continuing story of Snails as he travels to the Crystal Empire with his mentor.

  • ...
16
 892
 5,006

Part 18: The Good Ones

Part 18

"She may know of a cure for your problem."

"I can be me again?"

The Good Ones

Noot Noot
Noot Noot

Reaching over, Snails started thumping around till his hoof found his alarm clock. It was way too early for the poor colt. Even as Snails, he couldn’t sleep in anymore. Groaning softly, he pushed himself out of bed, and immediately fell on the floor.

“Ouch.”

Looking at the floor closely, Snails sighed. “I need to sweep under the bed one of these years.”

Pushing himself off the ground, Snails yawned and all but crawled into the bathroom. He slumped into the shower and turned on the water.

With a high pitched squeal, Escargot shivered and quickly turned up the hot water. 'It’s going to be another one of those days.' Snails thought, shaking his head.

Relaxing in the hot shower, Snails started washing his mane. Having a short scruff for a mane and tail was great- it didn’t require that much maintenance. He didn’t need to spend too long washing it, or even brush it really. It was just a quick shower, anyways- mostly to wake up.

Suddenly, a feathered head and beak invaded the shower. With a scream, Snails jumped back against the wall, looking at Gisa in alarm. “Wha- what are you doing here?”

“I heard Escargot, I came to see if she’s alright. What did you do with her?” Gisa snarled.

“Nothing, nothing! She- I.- I haven’t seen her honest!” Snails cowered.

“Then who squealed?” The little grifflet demanded, stalking forward.

“Me! The water was way too cold.” The colt said, backing against the wall.

“Wus.” Gisa huffed and stalked out.

Stepping out of the shower, Snails quickly dried off his mane and hair. At least he didn’t have to worry about frizzing out, or turning into a puff ball like some ponies. No, his problems were not nearly so mundane.

As he reached the foot of the stairs, he noticed Rarity sitting with his father. “Oh, hello, Snails. I was just discussing your strength and endurance with your father. You’ve been such a help, lifting fabric bolts and pulling wagons for me at work.”

“Umm, h- hello ma’am.” Snails stammered nervously.

“She said she’s very proud of you. You’re a perfect young stallion.” His father beamed with pride.

Warning should probably have been given. Perhaps it would have been better if Snails hadn’t just taken a bite of muffin. The resulting choking spasm sent a spray of crumbs across the room.

Rarity, on the other hoof, was prepared with a food-shield spell, which elicited a rather nasty look from Long Haul.

“I do not appreciate magic being used in my house.” Long Haul said firmly with a hint of disgust.

“Oh dear, I’m so sorry, but you can not really begrudge a young mare like myself for a reflex reaction. I simply could not allow food to soil such lovely fabric. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to get stains out of corduroy?” Fluttering her eyes, Rarity treated Long Haul to a winning smile.

“No, I suppose not. Try not to do it again,” Long Haul reluctantly conceded.

“Snails, I have somepony I would like to introduce you to today. She also may need to meet Escargot.” Rarity said.

“Oh? Umm, who’s that?” Snails asked timidly.

“Zecora wants to meet you. It’s best you pack a little snack, as we will be traveling into the Everfree.” Rarity turned to Long Haul. “Don’t worry, I’ll keep him safe, sir.”

Long Haul snorted, “A strong young stallion like Snails can look after himself.” He paused “Be careful though, the pegasi have a big storm planned for tonight. They missed the last two, so this one is supposed to be a big one.” Long Haul warned.

“Oh, I am quite aware. I remember the last storm like this- Twilight and Applejack invited me to an absolutely lovely sleepover.” Rarity said and turned trotting out, “Come now, Snails.”

Scampering up and out the door, the colt followed Rarity. “Zecora?”

“Yes. She is a specialist in the Everfree, and knows a lot about its goings-on. She may know of a cure for your problem. That is, if you want to be cured.” Rarity glanced at Snails meaningfully.

“You mean… I could be me again?” Snails asked, wiggling his tail in excitement.

“You are always you, Snails, just as you are always Escargot. No matter what form you’re in, you have the same feelings, the same drives.” Rarity watched Snails as he lowered his head. “As a colt, would you want to see Noi or Belle hurt?”

“Well, no… It’s just hard sometimes.”

Leaning over, Rarity ruffled the colt’s mane, “I know, and you don’t have to feel pressured to accept or decline a cure, if one is available. I am simply inquiring, asking questions you need to consider.”

Nodding slowly, Snails looked at the CMC clubhouse as they walked. “If Escargot just vanished…”

“They would be devastated, but they would get over it in time. Gisa would have a harder time, but there would still be ponies for her.” Rarity said as they entered the forest.

“I- I know.” Snails said softly as the wind started to pick up. The pegasi had been harvesting and moving stormclouds into place all morning, and now they brooded over the area menacingly.

“You cannot base your choices on other ponies, dear. You must decide for yourself- listen to your heart. You can be generous, but if you do not stay true to who you are inside, you won’t feel right about what comes after.” Rarity spoke as the duo finally reached the knotted roots of Zecora’s tree.

“Rarity, always a pleasure when you visit me. You have brought a foal seeking help, I see.” Zecora said, tilting her head

“Oh darling, It’s always such a joy to see you. You really do need to stop by the boutique more often. I have a new cloak design that would complement your stripes nicely.” Looking down, “This is Snails, he stumbled into a pool in the Everfree and now has an... unusual magical problem.”

“You did right in bringing him to me. Please, describe his malady.” Zecora’s voice was calm yet gentle.

“It’s okay, Snails, you can trust her. Would you like me to?” Rarity put a foreleg over Snails protectively.

Looking up, Snails nodded slowly. Timidly, he stepped away from her. “I’m ready.”

Rarity picked up some water from her saddlebags and poured it over Snails.

Shaking himself out, Escargot looked down at the female forelegs and peach color of his coat. Looking up at Zecora, he smiled timidly. “Umm, yeah. See the problem?”

Giggling softly, Zecora covered her muzzle, “My apologies- You were so cute, I simply could not remain mute.”

Flattening his ears, Escargot looked down, and Rarity quickly poured some warm water over him. “Is there a way you can fix this?”

“Worry not little one, there is something to be done.” Zecora said smiling and walked around Snails. “A cure there is from herbs and tree bark, but only if the filly does not have her mark.”

“Well, he doesn’t have a cutie mark as Escargot, is it a major deal?” Rarity asked, looking at Zecora.

“The magic of a mark, once found, is something that should never be unbound.” Zecora said looking at Rarity, “They show the love and magic inside of you, something that can never be untrue.”

Looking back at her own mark, Rarity nodded, “Trust me, I know all too well how important they truly are.”

“So you can fix me?” Snails asked, ears perked eagerly.

“For this, a cure shall I make,” Zecora said, turning, “But herbs to gather some time will take.”

Looking to Zecora, Rarity nodded, “I’ll help you.” Turning back, she looked down at Snails, giving him a gentle nuzzle. “I really think you should take some time to think about this- decide if this is what you truly want. Or need.”

Snails sat looking out the window, watching the two mares walk off into the woods.

Even out here in the Everfree, the skies seemed shadowed by the clouds. The first drips of water started hitting the window, leaving wet streaks. Soon, he wouldn’t have to worry about the rain ever again.

Looking back at his cutie mark, he sighed, “It’s for the best isn’t it? I do want this, don’t I?”

Sitting down, he closed his eyes, thinking of the girls, thinking of Gisa. Who would she have? Noi and Belle practiced and helped with magic. They wouldn’t do that with Snails. Shaking his head slowly, Snails thought of Snips. He could go back to playing with Snips. That was good, right?

The door flung open, and Gisa looked around, “Where’s Rarity? Escargot?”

“Huh? They’re not here, why?” Snails turned, seeing an unusual sight: Gisa actually looked scared. “Gisa, what’s wrong?”

“Twilight and the other ponies are at the dam, there’s a problem there. The girls though are in trouble, they are trapped at the river.” She turned for the door, “I needed Rarity, or maybe Escargot.”

Looking out the door Snails saw the rain. All he needed to do is stay here, wait. Rarity and Zecora would be back soon, they would be able to help. Looking back to Gisa, Snails bit his lip, “How bad is it?”

“A sinkhole collapsed, the girls are stuck in a hole at the edge of the river.” Gisa said looking around, “Where is Rarity?"

‘Remember the dreams, don’t do it, stay here.’ Snails thought, ‘Don’t go. Don’t risk it, remember what the crystal heart showed you. Remember the nightmares!’

Gisa looked at Snails with tears her her eyes, “Why couldn’t you be more like-”

Snails started to run, “Show me where.” Lowering his head as he ran out into the rain grabbing Gisa with his magic. Looking over his shoulder he put Gisa on his back as he ran through the rain changing into Escargot. “Where are they?”

“Snails? Escargot?” Gisa blinked in shock.

“Where!” Escargot yelled.

“That way!” Gisa called out hanging on Escargot’s back guiding the filly as he ran through the brush. Together they came out by the river.

It was obvious what had happened. As the storm raged on, the river had swelled and ate at its banks. A sinkhole had formed in the path, disguised by a fallen tree. Inside the hole, Escargot could see Belle, Scootaloo and Bloom, as well as part of Scoots’ wagon.

“Girls, are you ok?” Escargot called out.

“No, we’re stuck!” Apple Bloom called out.

“I can’t fly out!” Scootaloo said. The other two gave her flat looks. “Well, I can’t.”

“I’ve got mud in my everywhere!” Belle whined, “And it’s getting higher!”

Escargot encircled Scootaloo, trying to pull her out. “Ugg, the mud’s sucking you down!”

“Do something, please!” Apple Bloom cried out trying to pull herself out more onto the tree.

“Gisa, if I can’t do this, you need to keep looking for adults, please…” Escargot looked at the grifflet with fear in his eyes. “Please.”

Nodding promptly, Gisa leaped off and ran for town.

“Escargot, don’t leave us!” Scootaloo called out.

“I won’t, I sent Gisa off for help.” Escargot called out.

Slipping slightly, Belle sank deeper into the mud, “Remember what Twilight taught us- concentrate! Focus! We believe in you!”

Spreading his legs, he lit his horn as bright as he could. Concentrating with everything he had he grabbed all three girls holding on. He could feel their love, their strength and drew from it. He pulled as hard as he could trying t back up.

“You can do it, Escargot!” Scootaloo called out.

“You have to! I’m too young to die!” Bloom added in.

Closing his eyes, he pulled with everything he had. He felt the girls slowly emerging from the sinkhole. ‘Grandmare, I know I’m not as strong as you, but if I have even a little of your power…’ Opening his eyes, he saw the three working to pull themselves up with the help of Escargot’s magic. Within moments, all four fillies were laying on their backs, panting in exhaustion.

“You did it, Escargot!” Apple Bloom said.

Gisa came running back, Twinkleshine and Lyra in tow. The two mares looked at the foals and quickly lit their horns picked them up.

“We’ll get you home.” Lyra said. “You take Applebloom and Scoots, Twinks.”

Nodding, Lyra settled both girls on her back and started walking. Gisa bounded up beside her, looking at the spent unicorn. “Escargot, your cutie mark!”

Looking back, Escargot saw the mark on his flank. He had earned it, like the dreams said. Or his nightmares. This had to be a bad dream. Looking down, he saw Gisa walking, head low.

“Are you ok?” Escargot asked weakly.

“After that… after the way I’ve acted…” Gisa started to speak, tears in her eyes.

“I promised I’d take care of you, Gisa, that will never change.” Escargot said, closing her eyes and falling into the soft, gentle darkness.

Author's Note:

Art as always by, Alkarasu.