• Published 3rd Jul 2015
  • 635 Views, 56 Comments

The Chronicles of Moonshade - Kix



A unique filly finds herself turned into an agent of an ancient foe of Equestria

  • ...
4
 56
 635

Chapter Six; Glimpses Into the Past

Author's Note:

Alright, I was able to finally get this chapter finished despite the rough three weeks I have had. Let me know what you all think.

With a heavy sigh and lowered head 'Aunt' Celestia answers the smaller pink alicorn reluctantly. "Yes I know her,” The eldest alicorn tries to hold back a sniffle, her words sounding as if she is both relieved and horrified at having me back. “She is Luna's daughter from before she was banished and her father is, well… was Sombra before he took over the Crystal Empire."

At the revelation both Twilight Sparkle and the other alicorn just stare at me, their mouths working as they try to form a question for a couple minutes. Celestia just stands there, her head lowered as her mane covers her face, though her body trembles as more sniffling comes from her.

"H-How...? " Twilight begins as she turns to the biggest alicorn, unable to comprehend the revelation that she has just borne witness to.

As I lay there, still glaring at the four unwanted visitors, Celestia continues, tears staining her coat along her cheeks. "I... I don't exactly know what happened.” She pauses, probably trying to carefully choose her next words and to collect her thoughts. “But after my fight with Nightmare Moon, the castle was destroyed... I-I thought she was..." The celestial regent begins to break down even more as she tries to continue, earning a smirk from me. Say what you will, but as far as I know, she isn’t my real family. No matter what she said back then.

"I- I maybe able to help, but... It's going to take some time." The pink coated alicorn says softly while comforting the solar ruler, leaving Twilight to stare at me, our eyes burning into the other.

'She's scared of you, they all are. They know they can't defeat us'

"I- I don't… how… what… what can cause somepony to be so… cold and… hard?" Twilight asks nervously as she to begins to gather tears in her eyes as well after glancing over at the now crying ’princess’

"I just so happened to have paid our dear friend Zecora a visit. I must say, her home is very intriguing, though when I left it was even more fun than before. Anyway, I think you might be interested in this particular brew, Twilight." Discord produces one bottle filled with a white liquid, swirling it in front of the unicorn’s nose before pulling it away. “However this bottle is for Moonshade.”

I continue to glare at the bottle and the others in the room as the bottle is forced to my lips. Once I finish drinking I find myself in an unfamiliar scene.

~~~~~

Unable to stand for the moment, I lay there watching the battle between Nightmare Moon and Celestia. Over the sounds of them fighting another sound can be heard coming from behind me. It's my voice, only younger and obviously terrified.

Despite the pain I eventually force myself onto my hooves and hobble closer to the noise, snarling with each step. Even with the building falling apart around me I continue until I come to the opening of what looks like a secret passage.

Without even thinking I continue to look, my eyes narrowing at my younger self, trapped in the tunnel before a shield of some kind forms around the younger me and disappears from sight.

I have no idea how long I stood there, staring at the spot before I realize the fight is over. Looking over at her, Celestia is sitting inches from me, her head bowed as the Elements of Harmony, now stone, lay around her. Even with her disheveled mane covering most of her face I can see her tears as they splash onto the stone floor.

After a couple seconds of mourning and one last sniffle, she stand up and hurries towards where the royal chambers used to be as her shouts echo throughout the ruined castle. "MOONSHADE? MOONSHADE SWEETIE! ANSWER ME!"

As I try to follow her frantic charge, her scream of utter terror finds its way back towards me as I reach the hallway entrance. "NO! PLEASE NO,” Once she gets into view I can tell she is in a lot of distress as her legs give out, a cloud of dust bursts upward as she falls onto her belly. “MOONSHADEEEE!"

As I take in the scene of what I am guessing is, or was, my room beyond the sobbing, pitiful form of Celestia I can’t help but let out a shocked gasp.

Atop the bed is a large pile of stone and wood, a red puddle forms on the floor closest to us as multiple scarlet tendrils snake their way down the comforter.

For some reason I have this urge to go up to her and comfort the Sun Princess as she lies there, clutching a bloody teddy bear in her front hooves.

What… is this? This has to be a lie, doesn’t it? I can feel the prickling of my own tears as they gather in my eyes and in response I shut my eyelids, but soon I find myself trying to cuddle next to the devastated alicorn.


~~~~~

"What did you see, Moonshade? What happened?" The two alicorns ask as I carefully shake my head, not just to wake up, but to clear my thoughts as well.

If, if that... that's true than have I been... living a lie all this time? Does Celestia and Luna truly love me?

'No, that was a trick. They fear you so much they'll do anything to stop you, even lie.' The voice of Nightmare Moon replies, causing my eyes to tightly screw shut at the growing headache as my thoughts and emotions conflict with each other.

If… if that's a lie then I- I don't know who, or what to believe anymore. Please, just… leave me alone for now.

'See? Their plan is working. You need to trust me as you have in the past. I can help you. I am the only one who truly loves you.'

Please, just... be quiet.

’I can't and you know it. It is for your own good and protection. I love you, my daughter.'

Shut up.

You know I'm speaking the truth.'

Shut up!

'Let me save you.'

"SHUT UP!" My scream pierces the ears of the visitors and four pairs of eyes turn to face me as tears again pour from my tightly closed eyelids.

Pain suddenly blossoms from my chest and abdomen, as if something is trying to force itself out of me. It started with a slight burning sensation but quickly grows until I can only imagine what it is like to be flayed alive. "S- something's happening with her!"


"RESTRAIN HER, NOW!" I can barely hear the frantic command as the pain intensifies and the sensations of my back going rigid while arching till it nearly snaps is distant to almost unnoticed. The intense pain paralyzes my vocal chords so I can’t even scream.

"Wh- what is going on? WHAT IS HAPPENING?" I barely make out some pony's panicked voice as I feel something starting to separate from me.

With as much willpower as I can muster I open an eye, unable to gasp as I watch a tiny, shadowy form starting to peel away from me, right where my heart is. For a second I just stare at it as both of my eyes open wide, my gaze falling upon a very familiar, hate filled gaze.

“Fine, you don't want my gift? It's almost time anyway and you haveve already gathered the required materials, I can finish this myself!” As the shadow tears away and vanishes I pass out.

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

“W- where am I?” I find myself in some kind of building. The floor is made of some kind of reddish marble, while the walls are the traditional white and black marble. The room is basically barren as only a chair and desk is the only furniture. From my viewpoint I can see three doors on the wall I’m facing, one is made of wood, the other is made of stone and the final one is metal.

With a shake of my head I clear out the fuzziness as I stand up unsteadily on my hooves. My steps are wobbly as I stagger towards the stone door. Cautiously I open it, revealing a long hallway lit by torches.

For what feels like a long time I travel this strange place, looking nervously at the walls, decorated by empty picture frames. A whispered voice carries through the windless air, as if beckoning for me to follow, leading me towards a clearing before it stops. As far as I can see there isn’t a single tree, bush or flower in the still grass. The sky is a light blue but there is no sight of a sun or a single hint of a cloud. There is also a surprising absence of animals as I look around.

“You tell me. Where do you think you are?” Comes a voice from behind me, starting in that same quiet tone but gets louder with each passing word.

Turning around defensively, I come face to face with… something. As I watch, it begins to materialize as a vague outline about my height. The only thing visible is its eyes, one is blood red while the other is cyan and they bore into mine, as if searching for something.

“A- am I… dead?” The question comes out as a whisper as I continue to stare at the outline with the mixed eyes, my ears pinned back.

Unexpectedly it laughs. “No not yet, but seems you are at a crossroads. Follow me.” With my head lowered I'm led to another hallway lined with moving images. “Tell me, what do you see?”

As I take a look at the frames the spectre, or whatever it is, steps up next to me. Its presence as it solidifies draws my attention. It… What… but that… it can’t be! I find myself looking at a clear copy of myself, despite the difference in our eyes and expressions.

With a hoof the other me giggles while turning my head to face back towards the frames as they now show different snapshots of my past. “These… these are what I've done in the past… all the ponies I've killed and hurt… all the lives I've destroyed.” As I watch the multiple images, my legs go weak and I just crumple into a heap, curling into a ball as a swarm of emotions swirl around me.

“Yes, they are. Now you have figure out, is that the real you? Or is this the real you?” With a swish of her tail and a wave of her hoof the images change. This time a couple images of the day spent at the fair with the three ponies who tried to befriend me are on display. More images, I’m guessing of my past, also fill the frames.

There is one of a filly standing in the middle of an extensive kitchen, a large mess of batter, flour and icing cake the floor and walls, even the ceiling. How the mess was able to extend that far I have no idea. Another frame shows an image of the same filly in a classroom, laughing and having fun with another filly as they pour over a text book.

“I- I don't… I'm unsure… how do I know which to choose?” My question comes as tears mat my pelt as I go from one image to the other before looking at my other self. “HELP ME!”

“I cannot choose for you. This is a choice you have to make on your own.” She responds neutrally while beginning to fade. “But I must warn you, the longer you take, the longer you'll remain here. Take too long and you won't be able to influence the upcoming events to unfold.” Her last sentence also starts to get quieter and quieter, until it sounds like she is whispering from a distance.

“Which do I choose? How do I choose? SOMEPONY HELP ME!” I just stare blankly at the hallway frames, the ones on the left are continuously looping happy, or at least positive memories while negative images run along my right.

Blindly, unable to watch anymore, I rush headlong down the corridor and I can feel the tears splash against my sides and flank.

The next room I find myself in is a plain stone room without any decorations or furniture. But it all changes once I step in the center. Colors rush around me and soon I find myself again next to Celestia. Her coat, mane and tail are so unkempt it takes me some time to recognize her. Even her wings look like a mess, as if she hadn’t preened them in a year.

As I look around I find we are still in my room and as I carefully look at her, I can tell she has lost weight, as if she hasn’t eaten in awhile. Even her gaze is different. Her eyes are dull, empty and bloodshot. How bad must she be hurting, to be in such a condition.

As I watch her she somehow manages to muster enough magic to lift the boulder. I know that I’m not under there, but what happened to cause that red stain? A sobbing gasp breaks my thoughts as I look over at the solar sister.

On the bed is I’m guessing one of the chambermaids, a young unicorn who must have been coming to find me but ended up getting crushed under the rubble. After the maid’s lifeless body is removed, Celestia lets the stone crash back onto the bed.

Why, why did this have to happen? Soon the room swirls around and yet again I find myself standing next to Celestia, who is still just as disheveled as before, even her voice sounds dull, as if she lost all hope. “Search the castle for her. Moonshade is still in there, somewhere.” Even in her condition Celestia goes with the impromptu search party, and from the looks of them they are the remainders of the castle staff and royal guard who are not seriously injured.

Curiously, I follow her as she goes straight for the throne room, which is almost completely obliterated. Just beyond where the thrones used to sit she begins to clear out a hidden passage that caved in and immediately I recognize it. “Please Moonshade, honey, please be alright.” Even though the words are whispered I can hear the desperate plea in her voice.

As expected, the entire tunnel is cleared out and there is no sign of my filly self. As the scene begins to slowly swirl around me another pony joins us, and sounds like he is a member of the royal guard. “Your highness, there is no sign of your niece anywhere in the castle. I am sorry, Princess.”

“No! It… how could she have just… are you certain, Sergeant?” The swirling room speeds up and the voices grow more and more distant.

“Yes your highness, we even searched the hidden tunnels---”

As the room rearranges itself I find myself in the shadow realm for some reason, right in front of a black sphere. As I continue to look at it, the part I’m looking through shifts and becomes clear, revealing my younger self inside with a cord attached to the stomach and another having formed into some kind of mask that is fitted around the small muzzle.

“Mommy? Aunt Celestia? Where… where are you? Where... am I? HELP! SOMEPONY, PLEASE!” A voice, mine but younger and sounding terrified echos around me, though the filly’s mouth does not move.

“Shh, I am here, my daughter. Relax.” Another voice comes from out of nowhere, one I am very familiar with, Nightmare Moon’s.

“You… you aren’t my mom. You sound like that scary mare that took mom’s place and attacked Aunt Celestia! W- who are you? Wh- what do you want? What did you do with my mom?”

“I am your true mom. As for what I want, I want help in regaining what is rightfully mine, what your aunt kept from me because she does not want to share the spotlight. She kep me oppressed because she could not stand the thought of being equal to another. Celestia wants to be the only ruler of Equestria, she wants to be worshipped.”

“That, that isn’t true. Aunt Celestia loves all of her subjects, and her sister. She would never consider herself-”

“Yes, she does consider herself above all others. You have not noticed it before? You need to open your eyes. You know the truth about how Celestia truly works.”

“Bu- but why… why would she do that? Sh- she loved you, sh- she loves us. She has even said so herself.”

“Those were just lies to keep us happy and under her control. She is jealous and does not want to share her power with anypony, even if they are family.”

As I listen to the back and forth conversation I fall onto my side, curling up into a ball while listening to how easily I have been swayed to the Nightmare’s point of view. What I don’t know is how many days I have spent listening, as the darkness around us barely changes. I… I know that the Nightmare was lying that Celestia didn’t care about me, but... is she wrong about her observations when it comes to Celestia and how she treats her subjects? By how protective of her status Celestia is?

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

The first thing registering as I find myself coming to consciousness is pain. A distant, constantly throbbing pain in my head, chest, sides and left hind leg. The next two things I am able to recognize is a surprising softness around me along with an uncomfortable dryness in my throat. My eyes barely crack open but immediately squeeze tight again at the intrusive brightness that overwhelms me. My hoof attempts to reach out but it feels too weak to do anything but flop uselessly at my side.

"Shh, don't move. Close the blinds and dim the lights." A voice sounds from my left quietly but with an air of authority. Before I can try to speak a glass is pressed against my lips, from which I eagerly I drink while sitting up some. The cold liquid flows down my throat and my chin, soothing the parched feeling in my mouth and throat, but before I can drink too much the glass is pulled away. "No, not to much, Moonshade. It'll make you sick."

As I lay back with a dull thud I finally find my voice, though it’s weak. "Wh- where am I?" seeing as how I can't sit up, despite multiple attempts, I reopen my eyes, blinking rapidly to clear my vision, thankful for the semi darkness around me.

"You're in Canterlot castle, Moonshade. How are you feeling?"

"H- how long have I been out?" I ask weakly, swallowing against the still irritating scratch in my throat. My view, blurry and unfocused, falls on the white form next to me.

"Two weeks. Please, you have to tell me, where did you hide my sister and the others?" Celestia pleads. “They were not at the ruined castle. Where would they be, Moonshade?”

"I- I'll be surprised if they... they did. Nightmare would have seen to it." With a groan I again try to rise from the bed, causing the various machines to go off as I begin to tear the needles and pads off my body. I am finally standing up on my good three legs shakily and almost ready to topple over, breathing heavily through both my nose and mouth while my eyes are tightly closed with the effort.

"Please, lie back down. You are going to---" Celestia approaches me cautiously, but stops as I snarl at her, showing off my fangs as I narrow my eyes.

"I- I gotta go, now." I grit out from between my teeth as I struggle to approach the closest window.

"You can't… get back in bed, now! MOON!." Her concern rises as I slither out of the window and take my shadow form, hurrying towards the old ruins as fast as I can, leaving a shouting Celestia behind me, who tries to catch up with me but to no avail as I lose her in the darkening clouds above us.

"My my, seems like somepony is feeling better, or is this just a ruse?" Discord's voice comes up from my left as I spot him in a rowboat, the oars moving of their own accord as he is holding an umbrella while fixing a cup of tea. Instead of an answer I struggle to go faster to get away from him. Unfortunately, I have already used up what reserves of energy I had until I finally land hard on the ground, unable to maintain the gaseous form any longer. My breathing is rapid as I lay there on my side, watching as he floats down next to me using the umbrella.

"Tired already, Moody? I figured a pony like you would have toughed it out for another inch or so. Let's get you back to the castle." With a snap of his fingers I am lifted up into the air, held in an invisible grip.

"N- no time. I… I need to get back---" Groaning at the growing headache, I let my body go limp in the invisible grasp after trying to force myself back onto my hooves while watching him carefully in case he tries something.

Without a word, Discord summons a feast which is carried by bowls, plates and glasses that seem to be semi living as they walk towards me. The utensils move on their own as well, using small wings to fly as I'm fed, even a straw dances its way to the cup of water in front of me and extends to my lips every so often to allow me to drink. I watch as Discord eats as well while smiling at me, which I can’t even attempt to snarl at him in response due to how drained I am.

Eventually I’m filled up and can feel some energy returning, but not much. After resting for a couple minutes I get up slowly, still unsteady on my hooves but not as bad as when I first woke up. I’m still too weak to travel to the shadow plane, so I take to the air once again. I expect Discord to follow me, but I’m surprised, and a little relieved, he doesn't.

As I get closer to the ruined castle, I notice a black figure with a wavy, spectral mane on in one of the openings. It is just a shadowy outline right now and seems as if it has been waiting for me for some time. I guess it can’t take a solid form yet.

"Well well, my prodigal daughter returns. I am glad you have made the right decision, I was afraid that Celestia’s tricks would have changed your mind." The shadowy mass says as she pets me, concern and relief are clearly present in her voice. "It's too bad, however, that you couldn't defeat Twilight when you had the chance."

I fight to keep from passing out as I look up at her, my breathing labored as I speak. "Y-yes, I have… mother. I can… I can still defeat… Twilight Sparkle." As my breathing begins to slow down I stand more firmly on my three hooves, my voice getting a bit stronger as I look up at her. "I- I'll defeat her… right now for you, mother."

The form just laughs as she hugs me. "I know you're eager, but I need you to rest now. You are not strong enough yet, not in your current state. Besides, she doesn't need to be beaten until just before or during the ceremony."

"Ye- yes, mother." With a nod I find a comfortable spot to lay down, grinning as I pass out.

*****

With a yawn and stretch I wake up, surprised at the lack of pain from my leg, ribs or any other part of my body. I wonder what Nightmare did, or was I asleep for a very long time? Did I--- don’t tell me I missed it! I hurry to the throne room, not caring to take the time to take a shower or even fix my messy mane and tail. “How… how long have I been asleep for?”

"Good to see you are awake finally.” With a chuckle she looks over at me and I realize we are in the realm of shadows as I stand there. “Do not worry, daughter, you have not missed it. If you are curious, I was able to get you healed magically while you were sleeping. You have slept for a total of five days.” As a shadowy mass wraps me in a hug she looks down at me, her gaze boring into my own eyes. “Now, get yourself ready for combat. I am going to transfer all of us back to Equestria now.”

"Good, thank you, mother. I feel better than I ever had, like I can take on the entire royal guard on my own.” in a swirling ball of shadows I am soon encased in my usual set of armor, pitch black with the cyan emblem of Nightmare Moon proudly displayed on my chest. A helmet that almost looks like Nightmare’s sits atop my head with my mane pulled back into a high ponytail. The armor even surrounds most of my neck and reaches up to my barrel on my legs. A scythe with a backwards bent handle rests against my side. “Ready, mother.”

A large amount of energy is used as myself, the bound and caged Luna, Lily, Sunstreak and Almond are encased in a sphere and soon the six of us are brought back to Equestria in a flash.

Once I gain my bearings I go to work setting multiple traps around the throne room, preparing for the final battle. Just in time to, because I can hear the sounds of hooves quickly approaching our position.

"MOONSHADE! DON'T DO THIS! YOU HAVE THE POWER TO STOP THIS!" Twilight’s desperate plea comes from the hallway, the words are tinged with fear. Sure enough there she is, flanked by her friends. Even Celestia has appeared, though she tries to come in through a hole in the ceiling. They got here quicker than I imagined possible, but no matter. We are still ready for them. Glancing upwards I grin as she tries to enter, but finds herself pushing against an invisible barrier.

“Release my sister, Moonshade and stop this now, please!” Her golden aura is visible as she tries to break through the barrier. However, all she manages to do is get herself trapped as a pyramid like barrier encases her.


Before any of us can react, a cyan streak races towards me, trailing a rainbow. Hmph, just as impatient as last time, thank you, Rainbow Dash. You made this much easier. As she passes the threshold a black wall forms in front of her, but instead of bouncing off the surface the wall bulges before surrounding her completely.

"Let's settle this, Twilight Sparkle. The favored student of Celestia versus the gifted student of Nightmare Moon, let us see who is better. Either accept my challenge or Rainbow dies! RIGHT NOW!" Her violet pools, narrowed in anger, meet my own bloody orbs at the threat. The rainbow pegasus’ shouting to be released can be from her prison, though it is muffled. With a quick burst of magic the sphere shrinks a little, and the angry shouting turns to a yelp of pain as pressure is applied to her.

"Fine! but release her first!" The purple unicorn angrily demands as she advances towards me. Once she gets within a couple feet from me, her stance widens as she lowers her head, glaring at me.

Without a word I release the brash pegasus while forming a clear barrier to keep her and Twilight’s other friends from interfering.