• Published 22nd May 2012
  • 9,741 Views, 193 Comments

The New and Reborn Trixie - Yukito



Trixie loses her memories, and begins her new life in Ponyville under the Mane 6's care

  • ...
16
 193
 9,741

The day the Great and Powerful Trixie died

Trixie took a long, deep breath, and then looked down at her report card. Math, A. English, A. History, C. She was expecting less for that; she was never very good at History. Geography, B. And finally, the most important grade out of all of them: Magic. A, with 96.5% scored on her final exam.

She looked at her report card with a big smile on her face, but it quickly faded as she looked over to her rival. Twilight Sparkle, the purple filly who, for the past year, has been a great source of stress for Trixie. Trixie’s special talent was magic, but no matter how high her magic grades were, she would always, without fail, rank second, with Twilight ranked above her. No matter how hard she tried, Twilight would always be above her. There was one thing that annoyed her even more, though.

“Excuse me, Twilight?” Trixie asked, slowly approaching Twilight, holding her report card tightly. “Can I…See you report card for a second?”

“Um…I don’t mind, but, who are you again?” Twilight asked, offering Trixie her report card.

“…” Trixie took the card, and studied it closely. Or, more specifically, she studied the Magic grade. This was the other thing that annoyed Trixie about Twilight. No matter how many times they spoke, or interacted with each other in any way, Twilight would never remember Trixie. It’s like she just forgot Trixie’s existence the moment it was no longer necessary.

“Um…You done?” Twilight asked, after Trixie had been looking at the card for over a minute. “Can I have my card back please? I’ve got a lot of studying to catch up on.”

‘Studying to catch up on!? You aced every subject! And you’re Magic grade…100%!’ Trixie gave Twilight her report card back and, without another word, left the classroom quickly, frustration clear on her face. ‘She did it again! Why? Why can I never beat her!?’


Trixie used her magic to levitate a log from a pile of firewood, and threw it onto the dying fire. Soon enough, the fire started to grow, and Trixie moved closer to it, as it was starting to get colder with the descending sun. It was getting dark. Or darker than it usually is in the Everfree forest. And she knew that dangerous animals were going to start hunting for food soon.

She would normally have started to build a shelter, but when she heard the loud crashing of foot stomps, and the unmistakable roars of a Hydra’s many heads, she quickly rose from her resting spot, and take refuge behind a nearby boulder as she poked her head out, looking for the nearby Hydra that was drawing closer.


Trixie opened the door to her house, and walked inside slowly, trying not to make any sound. It didn’t matter though, since her father was already standing there, at the doorway, waiting for her return. “So?”

“…Here’s my report card.” Trixie offered her card to her father, but he simply brushed it aside with his hoof.

“That’s not what I’m asking. Did you beat her?”

“I…” Trixie looked down at the floor, holding back her tears, and unable to answer his question.

“I see…” Her father sighed, and turned around. He began walking off in the opposite direction. “You’re useless. How long are you going to continue this?”

“But I still got the second highest Magic score in the whole school!”

“Second rank has no place in this family! I won’t accept failures in this house!”

Trixie was about to speak up, but the loud banging of the parlour door slamming shut stopped her. Now that her father was gone, she was finally able to let out her tears, although she had to be quiet about it. If her father knew that she had been crying, she would have had to spend the night outside. She ran up stairs to her room, closed the door, and jumped onto her bed. She let herself cry into her pillow, so that the noise would be drowned out. When she was finally finished crying, she looked over to her bookcase, which was filled with books designed to nurture and improve her special talent of magic.

“Useless…” Her horn lit up, and within seconds a bright flame appeared at its tip. She directed her horn at her bookcase, and allowed the flame to ignite all of the books on her shelf. It was a magical flame, that would only ignite what the user wanted it to ignite. “These books…They’re all useless! If I want to beat her…I’m going to need something stronger.”

Trixie grabbed the saddlebags lying next to her door, which contained her wallet and a small mirror, and made her way downstairs. As she opened the front door, she heard her father’s voice behind her. “And just where are you going?”

“I’m going shopping.” She said, facing her father with a look of frustration. “I need more advanced books if I’m going to defeat her.”

Her father walked away, and then returned a few seconds later, carrying a bulky pouch with him. “Here.” Trixie took the pouch with her magic, and opened it up. Inside it was a huge pile of bits. Trixie looked at her father with a look of surprise. “I’m willing to give you one more chance. Use this money, and beat.That.Filly. If you cannot, then I do not want you in this house any longer.” And with that, he walked back into the parlour, leaving Trixie alone again. Trixie closed the pouch, and put it into one of her saddlebags.


Trixie used her magic to create multiple images of herself, confusing the Hydra and giving her some time to think up an effective escape strategy. The Hydra roared and thrashed about, attacking each of the Trixie images one at a time. It wouldn’t be long until it hit the true Trixie, so she had to act fast. Her horn sparked, and within a few seconds the area around her became covered in a very thick smokescreen.

“Trixie will not go down so easily!” She used the smokescreen as a cover to send one of her clones running away. The rest of her clones disappeared, and she herself stayed in the smokescreen. As expected, the Hydra chased the illusion, believing it to be the true Trixie. The trick wouldn’t last for long, and even if she ran away now, she wouldn’t get far enough away to escape the Hydra before it realised her trick. Instead, she used the opportunity to strike at the Hydra from behind. “Let’s see Twilight do THIS!”

The Hydra turned around, and saw a huge blast of light behind it. The powerful flash blinded it for a few seconds. After it was finally able to open its eyes, it saw Trixie flying in front of it, with giant ball of fire above. It turned around and attempted to run away, but it was too late. Trixie threw the ball of fire towards the Hydra, setting it ablaze and causing it to thrash about in pain.

“Hmph! Simple minded fool!” Trixie used her illusion to get close to the Hydra, and when she was finally close enough, she was able to use a powerful tranquilizer magic on the Hydra. It required her to be in direct contact with the beast. Because it was intended for sick, not so powerful animals, it took more than one cast to work, but after the third casting, the Hydra finally collapsed, falling into a deep sleep. “There…Trixie…Got you…” Although she had beaten the Hydra, the running and the magic she used took its toll on her. She was breathing heavily, and had to sit down for a while to catch her breath. Luckily, she didn’t have to worry. The Hydra’s presence would keep most monsters away, and the Hydra itself wouldn’t wake up for at least 10 hours, so it was no threat to her, for now.


“Next: Trixie Lulamoon.” Trixie stepped onto the stage nervously, wearing the hat and cape that she had made herself last week. The hat and cape were both purple, and decorated with star patterns. She had made them after seeing a stage magician performing in the park near her house, which was also when she decided that she wanted to become a great show mare. For now, though, she had a more important goal in mind: Beating Twilight Sparkle.

The new school year had started, and in order to see how much each pony improved over the summer, each pupil had to go through a test in front of a few teachers, much like the entrance exam. Trixie was presented with a round object, just like the other students. It was some kind of purple ball with a strange device wrapped around it. It was a device for measuring somepony’s magic level. A Unicorn would levitate it with their magic, and the teachers would adjust it gradually with their own magic, making it require more magic to levitate it, until the Unicorn started to drop it. Once this happened, the teachers would be able to see how much magic the Unicorn possessed.

Trixie lifted it up with no problem, as expected of anypony in this school. The teachers were impressed when she had lasted for 10 minutes without becoming tired, which was currently the longest time this year. Once she had reached 13 minutes, she was starting to sweat and pant, but she insisted on continuing to the very end. Finally, she reached her limit at 15 minutes and 43 seconds. She received a loud applause and a high level of praise, but she didn’t care. When she looked over at Twilight, she could see the filly was also applauding, but it wasn’t a sincere applause. It was merely a formality; she was just following proper social etiquette.

“Next: Twilight Sparkle.” Finally, after a few more ponies had gone up, it was Twilight’s turn. Trixie would finally be able to see where she stood compared to Twilight. This was her last chance to impress her father. If she failed, she doubted she would have a home to return to tonight. But she didn’t care anymore. She had long accepted that she would never be able to impress her father, and over the summer, she had been making arrangements to leave her house. She had already managed to secure a job, despite still being a filly, as an assistant to her uncle, who worked at a small bar a few blocks away from her house.

She didn’t care about impressing her father anymore, but after spending so much time trying to outdo Twilight, she had developed her own grudge against her. Not just because she could never beat her, but because Twilight didn’t even consider Trixie a rival. She didn’t even notice Trixie. To Twilight, Trixie was just another pony who existed in the background. Somepony who would exist for one second when she spoke to her, and then disappear the next. She wanted to beat Twilight. No matter what, she would beat her.

“Amazing! 17 minutes, and she’s still not tired!”

Trixie was gobsmacked. She couldn’t believe what she was seeing. This filly who was only the same age as herself had so easily surpassed her best efforts, and was still going. This was impossible. After another 5 minutes, Twilight was finally showing signs of becoming tired. So she was pony after all. Even so, this was more than Trixie had ever expected. She expected Twilight to at most only beat her by about a minute or so, but this was completely unexpected. After 25 minutes and 37 seconds, Twilight finally had to stop. She had reached her limit. The applause for her was just as loud as it had been for Trixie, maybe even louder. Trixie, however, did not join in. She simply snuck away from the rest of the group, so that she could find somewhere to be alone and collect her thoughts.

“I swear…So help me, I will DEFEAT YOU, TWILIGHT SPARKLE!”


Trixie stopped for a moment to take a rest. She had been walking around the Everfree forest for a while now, trying to find her way back to the campsite that she had set up. She had run quite a distance from the Hydra earlier, and had lost her way. She was looking around for anything that she recognised. But in her attempts to get back to the campsite, she feared that she had only gotten herself even more lost.

“Trixie is sure it was somewhere around here…Or maybe it was further back that way…” Trixie took a few more steps through the forest, and stopped when she saw something in front of her. A nest. And not just one, but a whole bunch of them. Dozens of nests, stretching through the trees ahead of her. She had stumbled upon a nesting ground, and she didn’t want to stay long enough to figure out what was nesting here. She quickly turned around and began running, only stopping for a second when she heard a sound nearby. It was a strange, high-pitched sound, that echoed through the trees. And it was one that sent shivers through her entire body, and caused her to run even faster than she ever had done before. It was the sound of a Velociraptor.

A rare species, that only exists deep in the Everfree forest. And also, an extremely deadly one. They are fast, agile, and intelligent. Trixie ran as fast as she could, using her magic to move obstacles out of the way and putting obstructions behind her, to slow down any pursuers. She kept her eyes in front, occasionally turning her head left and right to check for sudden ambushes.

She noticed a rustling in the bushes to her left, and stopped immediately. They had caught up to her, and if that was the case, then running wouldn’t help. She needed to think of something, and fast. She concentrated her magic to her horn, and quickly unleashed another bright light, similar to earlier, only this time, she also used a masking spell to cover her scent. Because the spells were put together rather hastily, they wouldn’t last for long, but she only needed a few seconds. She had spotted a cave nearby where she could hide, with a rock next to it just large enough to block the entrance.

Once the spells were unleashed, she heard the sounds of raptors communicating nearby. She also heard the sound of them retreating, though that was most likely a ploy to make her lower her guard. She didn’t fall for it; she galloped at top speed towards the cave, building up magic in her horn as she did so. Once she was inside the cave, she used her magic to move the rock, blocking the cave entrance, and giving her some protection. Just as the rock was being moved, she saw a group of 3 raptors charging at her, unleashing their high-pitched roars, but she had managed to finish moving the rock before they reached her.


Trixie entered the classroom a little later than usual, since she had overslept last night. It had a been a few months since she started living with her uncle, and working at his bar, but she was still not used to it. It was much different than living with her father. Not that she minded all that much, but she would have liked it if she was able to sleep better.

She noticed that all of the tables were pushed to the back, and that there were no teachers in the room. Everypony in the class turned to look at her as she walked in, and then the one standing up at the front, a colt named Newton, approached Trixie. “You’re late.”

“Trixie apologizes.” Trixie said, even though she didn’t mean it. “Tell Trixie, what is going on here?”

“Don’t you remember? This week, we’re working on our class’ Hearth’s Warming Eve play.” He levitated a script from a pile on a chair behind Trixie, and handed it to her. She took it and stared at it, reading the cover. “The role list is inside. You’ll be in charge of special effects, since you’re good at creating illusions.”

Trixie nodded, and looked at the role list on the first page. The colt turned back around, and moved back to his position, giving advice to two fillies at the front on how to play their roles. “Hold on!” Everypony turned back to Trixie, some of them looking annoyed at this second interruption. “Trixie would like to request a different role!”

“We already have all of the roles assigned, and your talents are needed for the special effects.” Newton responded. “If you wanted a bigger role, you shouldn’t have been late.”

“Trixie will still remain in charge of special effects, but she demands to be a tree!”

The class looked at her with mixed expressions of confusion and concern. Concern that she had gone mad. She made a fuss over being a tree? They had expected her to demand one of the main roles, but they never expected something like this. Some of the ponies were trying to hold in their laughter, whilst some were just letting it out.

Newton turned around and looked at Trixie with the same look of confusion as some of the other ponies. “You…Want to be a tree?”

“That’s right. You heard Trixie correctly.”

“Well…I suppose you could…But can I ask why?”

“Do you want to know?”

“I…Guess I don’t really care.” Newton sighed and turned back to the two fillies. “Fine then. You shall be “Tree #5”. I’ll just have to ask the costume designers to make another costume.”

A group of ponies in the back of the class groaned. Trixie guessed that they were the costume designers, or at least some of them. She ignored them, however, and continued her objection. “Trixie wants to be “Tree #2”.”

Another look of confusion swept over Newton’s face, and now, a look of annoyance. She was starting to bother him now, and the rest of the class backed away when they saw this. It wasn’t easy to annoy Newton, but when he did get annoyed, they knew to get away from his as quickly as possible. His curiosity got the better of him, and he looked at the role list in the script. At the bottom, he read the tree roles in his mind:

Tree #1 – Genki

Tree #2 – Vanilla Sundae

Tree #3 – Twilight Sparkle

Tree #4 – Strawberry Dessert

When he read the third name down, Twilight Sparkle, he grinned, suddenly realising what Trixie was getting so worked up about. He adjusted his glasses with his magic, and then turned the script back to the page that he was on before. “Very well, then. You can be “Tree #2”. Now, can we please get back to rehearsing?”

Trixie bowed to Newton, using one of her front hooves to keep her hat from falling off, and then proceeded to leave. “Trixie thanks you. Now, Trixie shall be in the library, reading over the script, if anypony needs her.”

Once Trixie was gone, Newton let out a small chuckle, but quickly regained his composure, clearing his throat before continuing. “That filly’s quite an idiot sometimes…Ah, perhaps I should have told her that Twilight’s in the library right now…” He looked back at the door, not really paying much attention to the two fillies that were practicing their roles. “Oh well, I suppose this may turn out quite fun.”


Trixie took a few moments to catch her breath, and then used some magic to create a light on the tip of her horn. “There. Now Trixie can see where she’s going.” She placed her ear to the rock at the cave entrance, and heard the sounds of raptors outside. It was still too dangerous to leave, but at least she was safe in the cave. Or so she had hoped. “Hmm…Trixie should probably check this cave out, just to be on the safe side.” She walked through the cave a little bit, taking caution at every turn. After a short walk through the cave, she saw a bright light up ahead. She deactivated her light magic, and moved further into the cave, towards the light source.

Trixie poked her head around the corner, and her eyes widened at what she saw. It was a huge pile of gemstones, of all kinds, filling a huge chamber within the cave. There must have been at least 1 million bits worth of gemstones in that cavern. And they were all shining and sparkling beautifully.

Even so, Trixie did not let her greed get the better of her. She realised that there was no way she would have been able to safely transport all of those gems with all the dangerous creatures about in the Everfree forest. There was also another reason why Trixie didn’t want to go ahead and take all of the gems, something in the back of her mind telling her that it was a bad idea, but she was too tired to think of what that reason was. She instead just simply entered the cavern, and found a place near the foot of the gems to lie down and go to sleep.

Once she was comfortable, and she felt the temperature inside the cavern increasing, and she heard the sound of roaring behind her, accompanied by the smell of smoke, she realised what that other reason was. Generally, Dragons tend to nest in caves full of gems, just like this one.

Trixie quickly opened her eyes, and slowly turned her around to face behind her. There, she saw a huge, brown Dragon, looking down at her, roaring and breathing smoke through his nose. The Dragon moved his head down, so that his face was close to Trixie’s. “What are you doing in my cave!? Are you here to steal my gems!?”

“Um, no, Trixie’s not. S-She’s just here to-” Before she could finish, the Dragon opened his mouth wide, and let out a loud roar, one that shook the entire cave. “Ok then, nice meeting you, but Trixie’s got to go now! Bye!” And with that, Trixie was off, running back through the caves, being chased by the Dragon.

Once she reached the entrance, she remembered that she had placed a rock at the entrance. She turned back, her back against the rock, and watched in horror as the Dragon approached her, seeing her cornered. He started inhaling, getting ready to torch the little pony with a huge breath of fire.

Trixie had to think fast. There wasn’t much time. She looked around for options, but could only think of one plan. It was risky, but she had to try it. Gathering as much magic into her horn as she could muster, she levitated the rock at the cave’s entrance, revealing a pack of Veolciraptors outside, which all turned to the cave upon hearing noticing the rock moving. Trixie quickly ran out, and dodged to the side, avoiding the fire breath unleashed by the Dragon. The fire moved quickly towards the raptors, hitting two of them, and causing the other three to flee.

Wasting no time, Trixie ran in the opposite direction of the raptors, past the cave entrance, and through the Everfree forest. The Dragon gave chase, following her through the air, unleashing fire at her, attempting to burn her to a crisp. Trixie managed to narrowly dodge each blast, but she knew that she couldn’t keep it up for too long. She eventually reached the edge of a cliff, causing her to stop. The cliff was far too big for her to jump off. She couldn’t even see the bottom. She turned around, and saw the Dragon land in front of her.

Was this it? Was this how things were going to end? ‘No. To hell with that! I…I still have a reason to live!’ The Dragon roared loudly, and prepared for another blast of fire. ‘I can’t die yet! Not until I beat Twilight! Not until…I make her acknowledge me!’

Before the Dragon could unleash its fire breath on Trixie, a group of three raptors jumped out of the bushes behind it, and attack in unison. The Dragon unleashed its fire breath upwards, screaming in pain. It then attempted to shake of the attacking raptors, and succeeded in killing one of them with its claws. The other two continued attacking.

Trixie took this chance to try and get away, however, another two raptors had started to approach her. She back up as much as she could, until she had reached the edge of the cliff. One of the two raptors got into an attacking stance, and pounced towards Trixie, letting out a roar that horrified her. She couldn’t use any magic to get out of this; she was completely drained. She moved as quickly as she could, somehow managing to avoid being pounced on. However, she did receive three, rather deep cuts, across her stomach, from the raptor’s claws.

Unable to keep her balance, Trixie stumbled off the edge of the cliff. She tried to act quickly, and managed to grab onto the edge with her front hooves. Unfortunately, the ground would not hold, and it crumbled rather quickly, causing Trixie to fall down the cliff, plunging to her death. “Twilight…I…”


Rarity walked up the path towards Fluttershy’s house with her friend Pinkie Pie bouncing alongside her. She was on her way to meet with Fluttershy for their weekly spa trip, and Pinkie Pie, who had nothing better to go, asked if she could go along. Rarity didn’t mind, but when the entire walk to Fluttershy’s house consisted of Pinkie Pie’s nonsensical ramblings, Rarity was starting to regret letting her come along.

Fluttershy spent the morning as she always did; she was outside, tending to all of the animals, waking up and feeding the daytime ones, whilst putting the nocturnal animals to bed. She was so absorbed in trying to get Angel, her pet bunny, to eat his breakfast that she didn’t even notice Rarity and Pinkie Pie approaching. “Howdy Fluttershy!”

“AH!” Fluttershy jumped up at the sudden sound of Pinkie Pie’s voice, and used her wings to slowly descend. She turned around to Rarity and Pinkie Pie. “Oh, hello there, Pinkie Pie, Rarity.” She was about to ask them why they were here so early in the morning, but then she remembered what day it was. “Oh, um, I’ll be ready soon, Rarity. There are just a few more animals for me to feed. Um, is Pinkie Pie coming along today, too?”

“Yep! I saw Rarity on the way here, and asked her what she had planned today, and she said that she was going to her weekly spa meet with you, and then I was like “Hey! Mind if I come too?”, because the more the merrier, right? And she said it was ok, and I was like “YAY!”, and so I came with Rarity to come and meet up with you, and now here I am!”

Fluttershy simply smiled as Pinkie Pie continued going on and on. At this point, she wasn’t even on the same topic anymore. “Um, then, if you don’t mind waiting…”

“Oh, not at all, darling.” Rarity said. “Your animals need your care. Please, take your time. We’ll wait here until you’re finished.” Sometimes, being generous was hard. She wanted Fluttershy to hurry up so that they could escape Pinkie Pie’s ramblings, but she knew it would be wrong to rush Fluttershy simply for her own sake.

Fluttershy grab a bag of feed and headed down the bank in front of her house, towards the small stream that passed by it. She reached the bottom, and started to feed a family of ducks that were playing at the bottom. One of the ducks was trying to draw her attention to something. “What is it? What’s wrong?” She turned her head to where the duck was looking, and saw somepony lying in the stream, with blood pouring out of them. She stared for a few seconds, and then let out a loud scream.

“Fluttershy!?” Rarity and Pinkie Pie ran up to Fluttershy as quickly as possible. “Fluttershy darling, what’s wrong!?” She turned her head to look where Fluttershy was looking, and saw the injured pony in the stream. She let out a loud gasp and, together with Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy, approached the pony to see if they were ok. Upon getting close enough to properly examine the pony, Rarity found that she recognised her. “Wait…Trixie!?”

Trixie lay there in the stream, a pool of blood staining the water red. Her injuries were no longer bleeding, but it was clear that she was in pain from the way that she twitching. Her hat was missing, and her cape had a few rips and holes through it. She was breathing heavily and irregularly, and looked like she was struggling to say something. “Twi…Light…It’s all…Your…” After she said that, she opened her eyes, looking up at three ponies, two of which were reaching down for her.

Trixie backed up suddenly, trying to get away from the three ponies, but instead tripped and fell onto her back. This caused Rarity and Pinkie Pie, who were trying to lift her up, to jump back in surprise. Trixie looked at them for a few seconds, and then felt the pain coming from the injuries on her stomach. She then started to cry, like a young foal who had just received their first cut. She continued crying until she saw Fluttershy approaching her, and instead tried to back away again, tears still falling from her eyes.

“It’s ok.” Fluttershy said gently to Trixie. “We won’t hurt you. We just want to help you.” Fluttershy offered her hoof to Trixie, smiling kindly at the frightened mare. Trixie observed Fluttershy for a few seconds, and eventually decided to trust her, reaching out her hood and allowing Fluttershy to help her move. “Rarity, Pinkie, can you help me get her inside?”

“Of course, Fluttershy.” Rarity helped Fluttershy move Trixie onto a stretched that Fluttershy’s animals had brought her. Once she was set on the stretcher, Rarity and Pinkie Pie both moved the stretcher inside, whilst Fluttershy went ahead of them to prepare her first aid supplies. “My…She sure is…Heavy.” Rarity said, impressed that Pinkie Pie was able to lift up her end of the stretcher without any trouble.

Once they were inside, they placed the stretcher down. Fluttershy asked them to hold Trixie down while she tended to her wound. She started off by cleaning out the wound with some water, causing Trixie to flinch, but she calmed down when Fluttershy calmly assured her that everything would be alright. That still didn’t stop her from flailing about when Fluttershy applied the disinfectant. Rarity and Pinkie Pie managed to hold her down and stop her from moving enough to allow Fluttershy to continue working.

After she had finished treating the wound, she and Angel both started wrapping bandages around Trixie body. Once they were done, Rarity and Pinkie Pie let go of Trixie, allowing her to sit up as Fluttershy examined the rest of her body. She noticed a few bumps and small cuts on her head, but they weren’t anything serious. It was just a matter of administering a few plasters.

“There we go. All better now.” Fluttershy said as she placed the final plaster on Trixie’s forehead, just under her horn. “My, you were quite injured, weren’t you? What happened to you?”

Trixie didn’t answer. Instead, she looked around the room, stopping to stare at a box on a table in the centre of the room. She crawled over to it, and reached out her hoof, slowly touching it to see what would happen. “Hey! What’s up?” Pinkie Pie suddenly appeared next to Trixie, causing her to jump back in surprise. Pinkie Pie picked up the box and opened it, revealing it to be a perfume box that Rarity gave to Fluttershy. “You wanna know what’s in this box? It’s just perfume! See?”

Rarity sat down next to Trixie. She didn’t like the showmare very much, considering their previous encounter, but she was still concerned about her, and wanted to make sure that she was ok. “Trixie, please, can’t you tell us what you were doing that caused you to become so injured and filthy?” Trixie stared at Rarity for a few seconds, and then turned her gaze upwards, looking at something in awe and wonder. “W-What is it, darling?” She tried to look up at whatever Trixie was looking at, and then realised that Trixie was staring at her horn. Without warning, Trixie reached out her hoof and pressed it against Rarity’s horn, the sudden action causing Rarity to jump onto her hooves and back away quickly. “What!? What are you doing!?”

Trixie pulled back her hoof, and her expression changed to fear again. Rarity’s sudden increase in volume shocked Trixie, and she thought that Rarity was going to hurt her. Instead, Rarity just stared at her with an annoyed expression on her face. Trixie, deciding that Rarity wasn’t going to hurt her, began looking around the room again, until Rarity spoke up again.

“Don’t just ignore somepony like that! That’s incredibly rude, you know!?”

Trixie ducked down and covered her head with her hooves, once again afraid of Rarity after she had started shouting.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Three knocks at the door drew the group’s attention away from Trixie, who was still cowering under her hooves. Fluttershy walked over to the door and opened it, revealing her friend Twilight on the other side. “Oh, hi there Twilight. What brings you here so early in the morning?”

“I’m sorry to bother you so early, Fluttershy, but I think I left my book here during my last visit.” Twilight noticed Pinkie Pie and Rarity behind Fluttershy. “What’s up? You having a party or something?”

“Oh, no. Rarity and I were going to go to our weekly spar trip today, and Pinkie Pie decided to come along.” She moved aside so that Twilight could see Trixie. Twilight’s eyes widened when she saw the familiar showmare, and she moved closer to get a better look. “And then…We found her, in the stream that runs by my house. She was injured, and we just finished treating her injuries.”

Twilight leaned her head closer, and Trixie moved her hooves away from her head, looking up at the purple Unicorn. “Trixie? Is that really you?” Trixie got up, and moved closer to the purple Unicorn, examining her closely. “Um…Hello?”

Trixie looked up at Twilight’s horn, and stared at it for a while. Remembering how Rarity scolded her when she touched her horn, Trixie decided to leave it alone, but still stared at it with the same expression on her face as before.

“She’s been acting rather strange.” Rarity explained, keeping her distance from Trixie. “I think she may have hit her head rather hard.”

Twilight looked at Trixie with concern, and moved closer to her. “Trixie? Do you remember me? Or anypony here?” Trixie raised her hooves slowly, and pressed them against the sides of Twilight’s face, scrunching her face up. Trixie laughed as she made Twilight’s face look funny, along with Pinkie Pie, who had started joining in. Twilight, however, was not amused. “Hey! Do you mind!?”

Pinkie Pie merely stopped, but Trixie, like when Rarity yelled at her, retreated back a few steps, and hid underneath her hooves. Fluttershy walked over to Trixie, and gently lay a hoof on Trixie’s shoulder. “Now now, there’s no need to be afraid.” She said soothingly, and within moments, Trixie had emerged from her hiding place and was looking at Fluttershy with a smile on her face.

“She’s acting just like a frightened little foal…” Twilight pointed out, rubbing her chin with her hoof. “Wait! Could this be…Amnesia?”

“Am-what-a?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“Amnesia. A condition where somepony loses either some or all of their memories. I’ve read about it before, but I’ve never actually seen it in real life.”

Fluttershy looked very worried at this point, looking down at Trixie with a look of sympathy. “Oh my. It sounds awful. Is there any way to cure it?”

“I’m not sure.” Twilight admitted. “To be honest, I only really skimmed over it while I was looking for something else entirely. We should probably get her to the Ponyville hospital.” Twilight then noticed a strange smell in the room, and quickly realised that it was coming from Trixie. “But, first…I think we’d better get her cleaned up…”

The other ponies then also noticed the stench, and back away from Trixie, with Rarity backing away the most. “Yes, quite right.” Rarity agreed. “It’s too bad, but it looks like we’ll have to cancel this week’s…Wait! I know! Why don’t we take Trixie with us to the spa?”

“Are you sure?” Fluttershy asked, worried for Trixie’s health. “She’s not exactly well right now, and she seems afraid of everypony…”

“Well it’s not like she can wash herself, now can she?” Rarity pointed out, looking over at Trixie who was attempting to eat a book. Twilight used her magic to levitate the book away from her, and, after realising that it was hers, put it into her saddlebag. “And who better to clean her up than professional spa ponies? I mean if we did, it might cause quite a mess, especially in your small bathroom.”

Twilight nodded her head in agreement. “She’s right. You’re bathroom’s too small for us to wash Trixie in…” She then turned to Rarity. “But let’s not go too far. We just want her cleaned up, she doesn’t need a hooficure or anything.”

Rarity pouted, and complained a little, but she caved in when Twilight pointed out that somepony would have to pay for her spa treatment bill.

“Alright, then let’s get going!” Pinkie Pie shouted enthusiastically, cart wheeling out of the house. Rarity and Fluttershy followed soon after, with Twilight trying to get Trixie to follow them.

“Come on, Trixie. Let’s go.” She walked through the door, and then turned to see Trixie not following her. She let out an annoyed sigh, and went back into the house, approaching Trixie. “Trixie…” Trixie looked towards Twilight, which a good sign. She seemed to realise that Trixie was name. Or, at the very least, she could tell when somepony was addressing her. “Come on, let’s go.” Twilight motioned with her hoof for Trixie to follow her. After a few more seconds, Twilight tried leaving the house again, and was happy when she looked back and saw that Trixie was following her.


Twilight and the others moved through the streets of Ponyville much more slowly than they would have liked. Whenever Trixie saw something that fascinated her, she would stop to admire it until Twilight could get her attention again, and whenever something happened that frightened her, Fluttershy would have to calm her down to make her continue moving. Rarity was starting to get impatient, but Pinkie Pie didn’t seem to mind that much. She was still happily bouncing down the streets of Ponyville with the rest of the group.

They weren’t that far from the spa now; it was just around the next corner. However, they had to stop yet again, when Trixie sat in the middle of the street, squirming and flailing her forehooves in the air. Twilight sighed, and approached Trixie, wondering what was wrong now. She noticed that Trixie looked panicked, and scared. Trixie looked up to Twilight, still flailing her hooves. “What’s wrong? Are you tired? Hungry?” It really was like Trixie had reverted to being a foal. There was no way to understand her, and what was worse was that ponies around her were starting to gather to see what was going on.

Pinkie Pie examined Trixie, gasped, and starting panicking. “This isn’t good! I recognise that expression!” Rarity and Twilight looked at her with curious looks, but let her continue. “I’ve seen it from babysitting the Cakes’ foals! She needs to-”

Before she could finish, the sounds of ponies backing away and letting out “ew”s and small giggles could be heard all around the group. Twilight looked over at Trixie, and back away herself when she saw a small, yellow puddle forming on the ground where Trixie was sitting. The blue Unicorn just sat there, with an innocent smile on her face.


It hadn’t taken Twilight too long to clean up the mess left on the street by Trixie. She did, however, have to spend time explaining to the ponies nearby that Trixie was suffering from amnesia, and that it wasn’t her fault. Unfortunately, because amnesia wasn’t well known throughout Equestria, particularly in Ponyville, many ponies misunderstood amnesia as some kind of illness, or a curse.

Twilight and Rarity both scolded Trixie for peeing in the middle of the street. They knew she couldn’t help it, but she still had to realise that there were things that she wasn’t supposed to do. Once Fluttershy calmed down the crying Trixie, the rest of the group took Trixie to the spa. She now needed to be washed more than before. Twilight volunteered to clean up the street by herself.

One final mop of the floor, and she was done. The street was very thoroughly cleaned. A bit too thorough, honestly. She had finished cleaning up the puddle left by Trixie a while ago, but she wanted to make sure that the rest of the street was just as clean. She couldn’t stand to see it so uneven.

Once Twilight was finished, she put the mop and bucket back where she had borrowed them from the janitor’s closet in Town Hall, and headed over to the spa. Her original plan was to go to the hospital and arrange an appointment for Trixie, but after cleaning that entire street by herself, she could use a nice warm bath, too.


She met up with the others in the spa. Rarity and Fluttershy were enjoying a nice conversation in the steam room, and Trixie and Pinkie Pie were washing up in one of the bathtubs. Trixie was watching Pinkie Pie playing with some bath toys. One was a pony, and another was a Dragon. Pinkie seemed to be making the pony and the Dragon battle it out (quite inaccurately, Twilight noticed), and it looked like the pony was winning. Trixie seemed to be enjoying the show, laughing and clapping her hooves.

Twilight climbed into the same bathtub, sighing as she entered the warm, relaxing water. “Well, it took longer than I thought, but I’m finally finished.” She looked over to Pinkie Pie, who was making the pony pounce on the Dragon to slay it. “How’s Trixie been? She hasn’t caused any more trouble, has she?”

“Nope! She’s been fine! A lot better than the twins!” Pinkie Pie shuddered at the thought of foalsitting the cake’s twins. Even though she liked the two foals a lot, and had gotten better at foal sitting for them the more she did it, they could still be quite stressful, most of the time requiring Pinkie Pie to cover herself in flour, or a pile of toys.

“Well, that’s good.” Twilight said, looking at Trixie with a relieved smile on her face. “After this, we’ll take her straight to the hospital. They should be able to help her out.”

Some time passed, and Twilight decided that they had been in the bath long enough. However, Trixie didn’t want to leave. She enjoyed swimming around in the small tub, splashing about and playing with the toys, and she didn’t want to get out. Twilight wasn’t giving her a choice, though. She used her magic to grab Trixie and pull her out of the tub. In doing so, however, she slipped on a bar of soap, lost her concentration, and fell down the steps leading up to the tub. When she opened her eyes, she saw Trixie on top of her, sobbing and rubbing her head in pain. “Oh no! Are you ok? I’m sorry about that!” She apologized frantically.

Trixie rubbed her head, and let out a few tears, on the very verge of crying. She stopped when she felt something strange pass through her body. It was a strange feeling, that didn’t exactly feel bad. She wasn’t sure if it was good either. She opened her eyes to the sound of Twilight yelping, and saw that their horns were mere inches away from each other. She realised that their horns had touched, and wondered if that was the source of the strange feeling. Curiosity taking over her body, Trixie moved her horn forward, and rubbed it against Twilight’s, causing the strange feeling to return, and loud gasps to escape both of the mares.

The sound of Rarity clearing her throat brought Twilight back to reality, as she looked over to her friends looking at the two mares. Fluttershy was hiding behind her wing, and was obviously blushing. Pinkie Pie looked excited…A little too excited. And Rarity was blushing, but still tried to look dignified. “Twilight, darling. I won’t question your personal preferences, but…This is a public area. You do realise that, don’t you?”

Twilight ignored the sarcastic remark, and tried to push Trixie off of her, but she was lacking the strength. “A little…Help here?” She managed to ask, her face turning bright red as she realised that other ponies were watching. Pinkie Pie grabbed Trixie from behind, and lifted her off, surprising the blue Unicorn and causing her to flail about a little bit. “Phew…Thanks, Pinkie Pie.”

“No problemo!” Pinkie said cheerfully, before putting Trixie back down on the floor.

“Well, then…” Twilight said, scratching the back of her neck with her hoof, laughing nervously as the crowd around the still remained. “I’d say we’re just about done here. How about we get moving?” Rarity objected, still having much to do in the spa. Twilight didn’t care, though. After all that’s happened today between her and Trixie, she was more than eager to finally get the blue Unicorn checked into the hospital.

She left the spa with Trixie, the other three still wanting to stay. After paying for her and Trixie, she made her way out of the spa, dragging Trixie along with her magic. She wanted to get to the hospital quickly, and not have any more incidents happening on the way.


Twilight finally made it to the hospital. After walking through the doors at the front, she lay Trixie down on one of the benches. Her ears dropped when saw the huge amount of ponies in the waiting room, which meant that she’d have to stay with Trixie for a while before she could get her checked in.

Finally, after at least an hour of waiting (which was not made any easier by Trixie’s apparent need to play with anything she found interesting), she was finally next in line. She approached the receptionist, carrying Trixie in her levitation spell. “Hi, I’m here to check this pony in. She was found injured this morning.”

The receptionist examined Trixie closely, seeing the bandages and plasters on her. “She looks like she’s already been treated.”

“My friends treated her injuries this morning, but-”

“Then I’m sorry, but unless she comes down with something, there’s not much we can do. Maybe you haven’t noticed, but we’re currently overloaded with patients here!”

As a matter of fact, Twilight had noticed that. She also noticed that many of them weren’t very familiar to her at all. But she had been so busy keeping Trixie out of trouble that she hadn’t had time to question. “Yeah, I can see that…What happened, exactly?”

“A fire broke out in a town a few miles down the road. Their hospital was burned down, so they’ve come to our hospital instead. But there are simply too many, and we’re running low on space. So unless your friend is seriously hurt, or ill, we can’t spare any of our resources for her.”

“But…She needs help, she has-”

“What seems to be the problem here?” Twilight and the receptionist turned to the approaching Dr. Stable, who was looking at the floating Trixie quite curiously. “Is…She ok?”

Twilight laughed nervously, and put Trixie down. Trixie didn’t seem to mind, and actually seemed to enjoy floating about. Twilight decided to try talking to the doctor instead. “Doctor, she needs help. She has amnesia!”

“Doesn’t look so pale to me…” The receptionist remarked.

The doctor sighed, and corrected her before Twilight could. “Amnesia, not anaemia.” He then leaned in close to inspect Trixie, although she made it hard by ducking behind Twilight. “And I must say, that’s quite rare. I’ve only ever encountered two cases of it before in my life.”

Twilight’s eyes lit up at that news. “So…You can help her then?”

“Unfortunately, no.”

Twilight’s ears sank, and her smile was replaced with a frown. “But…Why not? If you’ve dealt with it before, then surely-”

“Because…It’s not something that medicine can cure.” He used his magic to hand over a clipboard that he was carrying to the receptionist, who then proceeded to call over a patient. Twilight and Dr. Stable moved to the side to continue their conversation. “Amnesia is caused when an individual suffers a shock to their brain…Or something like that. To be honest, I’m not entirely sure, with how rare it is in Equestria.”

“So…There’s no known cure?”

“No. No herbal remedy or magic will cure it. It is known, however, that amnesia usually tends to fix itself over time.”

“Over time? So…We just wait, and one day, she’ll be back to normal?”

“Again, not necessarily. There have been cases where ponies suffering amnesia recovered gradually, and some cases where it happened instantaneously. To be honest, all I can recommend is for her to just go about her life. There’s no guarantee that her memory will return, but that doesn’t mean she can’t still live a normal, healthy life.”

Twilight looked at Trixie with a look of sympathy. She couldn’t imagine what it must feel like to be completely torn from your past like that. ‘Well, actually, I guess she wouldn’t even notice it…’ She thanked the doctor for his help, but then, a new problem hit her. Where was she going to stay? The hospital was full, and it’s not like she could just stay at a hotel or something.

“If you’d like, I can look after her at my house for a few days while we work something out.” The doctor offered, suddenly cheering Twilight right up. “I’ve dealt with children before, so I should be just fine.”

“Well, I mean, if it’s not too much trouble….”

“Of course it isn’t. I’m a doctor after all. Helping ponies is what I do best.”

“Then…I guess I’ll leave her to you, then.” Twilight turned to Trixie, who was playing with her own mane, completely oblivious to the rest of the world. “Trixie…” Trixie responded immediately, jumping to her hooves and running up to Twilight. “Listen, I’m going to leave you Dr. Stable for now. He’s a doctor, so he’ll be able to help you out.” Trixie simply smiled at Twilight, and she wasn’t sure if Trixie properly understood her or not. “Um…So…You be good now. I’ll…See you later, ok?” And after that, Twilight began to leave the hospital. However…

“Trixie, I said you’ll be staying with Dr. Stable.” Twilight turned to face Trixie, who was following Twilight out of the hospital. Dr. Stable place a hoof on Trixie’s shoulder, and tried to help her to understand. “Thanks again, doctor.” Twilight again began to leave, only to stop when she heard to sound of crying behind her. She turned around to see Trixie reaching out to Twilight, and struggling against Dr. Stable, with tears running down her face.

“It seems…She’s taken quite a shine to you…” Dr. Stable was trying to calm Trixie down, but somehow, she managed to free herself. She then ran towards Twilight, and latched onto one of her hooves. “Well, this is quite problematic…”

Twilight looked down towards Trixie, who was rubbing her face against Twilight’s leg, still crying, and looking positively frightened. Was she scared of being separated from Twilight? Did she really “take a shine” to her, as Dr. Stable put it? She reached one with one of her free hooves, and gently patted Trixie’s head, seemingly calming her down a little bit. She smile when Trixie looked up at her. ‘I guess there’s not much choice…’ She turned back to Dr. Stable. “On second thought, I think I’ll take care of her for now.”

“Are you sure?” Dr. Stable asked. “You know it will a lot of work, right? Like looking after a fragile young foal.”

Twilight lifted Trixie to her feet, and wiped away the tears from her eyes. Trixie responded by smiling with the same innocent face that she’d been wearing all day, and suddenly, Twilight couldn’t bring herself to refuse Trixie. “Yeah, I know. But, she seems to want to stay with me quite badly. And I don’t think we should force her to stay with somepony if she doesn’t want to.”

“You have a point…” Dr. Stable rubbed his chin with his hoof, and then turned around. “I’ll be right back. Don’t go anywhere just yet…” He left around the corner, and returned a few minutes later, carrying a small book. “Here. I’m sure you have plenty of books that can help you in your library, but this is a little more concise and to-the-point.” He handed Twilight the book, that was entitled “So you’re a parent now, eh?”.

“A guide to parenting?” Twilight asked, putting it away in her saddlebag. “Um, thanks…I guess it could come in helpful…” ‘I already have plenty of parenting books back at the library…Besides! It’s not like I’m going to be Trixie’s mother or anything. I’m just helping her out because she has nopony else to turn to…’

With a quick thank you and goodbye to Dr. Stable, Twilight was on her way, walking down the streets of Ponyville, with Trixie following closely behind. “…Boy, is Spike gonna be surprised…” She laughed at the thought of how Spike would react when he learned that Trixie would be staying with him, and behind her, heard Trixie laughing, too. “This might actually be quite fun. It’ll be like having my own pupil! I can teach you how to cook, clean, write, read, all the things everypony learns in school! And maybe even teach you a bit about magic!” She thought back to a particular event earlier that day, and sighed. “I guess the first thing I should teach her is how to use the toilet…”