• Published 2nd Jul 2015
  • 1,193 Views, 299 Comments

OC Slamjam - Round Three - OC Slamjam



A compilation of all entries received from Round Three of the OC Slamjam, where authors invented OCs and were paired up into brackets to write a story about their opponent's OC and their own!

  • ...
1
 299
 1,193

Haystacks vs. Mango Leaf - Winner: Mango Leaf (by Vote)

Haystacks vs. Mango Leaf - by Haystacks' Author

Haystacks pressed on through the warm night. The skitter of the occasional flagstone on his hoof was enough to mark the way forward, though he could see plenty well enough on such a moonlit evening.

Should he run? Excited was never a Haystacks kind of feeling, but it simmered like fruit moonshine in his stomach, sweet and bubbly and delicious. And nopony around here could brew it like Mango Leaf.

The mere idea of some of Mango's homebrew gave him a queer burning feeling in the back of his throat, and a sweet twinge to the back of his mouth.

No; walking would do. But trotting a little faster couldn't hurt. There was no reason to keep good company waiting any longer than was necessary, he thought. And besides, it hardly went without saying that he'd been looking forward to this evening for quite a while. Mango Leaf had been a phantasm in his life for what felt like months.

Or was it seasons by now?

The thought dogged him as he passed by the lit windows of the last row of houses in the village, the gold of their fire-lights and candles throwing shadows onto the road. His mind wove lazy beelines around the last year as he tried to remember what had been.

His birthday was the nearer side of winter. And his twenty-second birthday had been only a little while after he'd seen Mango Leaf – yes, he remembered now. Just before it got a bit too chilly for the apple trees to bear any fruit. Even then, Mango had complained bitterly about how mild winter was down here.

He took a deep breath, filling his lungs with a clear summer's night.

He was twenty-three now. That would mean he hadn't seen Mango in little over a year and a bit. And that simply made no sense. How could it ever? It felt like only yesterday that he had found himself curled up adjacent to the fire and Mango, drink in hoof, talking about life, ponies, and everything in between. Whateverso fell into his mind.

Thirteen or fourteen months, perhaps. That was long enough to go without seeing anypony just once.

The line between friend and acquaintance had blurred over the last year, but Mango was a good friend - that much was clear. And barring the reporter mare who had come to the carnival with him, he hadn't really had the heart to call somepony else a good friend in a while. In truth, he hadn't really allowed himself to get to know somepony, or in Mango Leaf's Case, to get to know him all over again.

Haystacks wondered briefly if Mango had changed. It lingered longer than he would have liked, and some small wisp of emotion stirred within him. It vanished just as quickly as he became aware of his surroundings, and he glanced up.

Barring a few lonely abodes behind him, the village had finally given way to the fertile fields that surrounded the town, most of them still not quite ready for harvest, and some fallow altogether. Those that were not waved at him as the wind swept silvery ripples across their moonlit surfaces.

Haystacks cast a cursory glance around, and the distant glimmer of the campfire caught his eye. He made a path for it.

The point where the paved stone of the township dwindled to the sprawling miles of dusty country roads was where he knew his friend would be. Despite repeated offers, Mango never chose to stay at the farm or in town. Perhaps he was more comfortable when he could see the sky. But then, that was Mango in a nutshell. Always stargazing.

As he came nearer the fire, he could make out the familiar blue wagon silhouetted against the flame, just next to the sign that marked the crossroads out to Sweet Apple Acres. It seemed like this time, Mango Leaf had been more careful about where he'd camped out.

Haystacks smiled to himself. He'd been a little curious about where the unicorn might choose to park his cart this year – and in particular, whether or not it would be on top of somepony's prize flower garden.

He took a fond moment to remember. Lily had caused such a fuss. The rhododendrons were still delicious, though, and in fairness to Mango, the patch didn't have a fence around it. He had even tried to make amends, albiet by making a rhododendron-flavoured snowcone out of some of the flowers and offering them back to her.

A smirk flitted its way across his lips. Perhaps, all things considered, it was better that he was farther out of town.

As he approached the camp proper, he took the location in. A nice, flat piece of earth just off the road, underneath a few sycamore trees. He could smell the woodsmoke of the fire now, mixed with the pleasantly familiar scent of mango chutney and vegetables. One lone figure lay prostrated by the fire, looking for all the world like the shaggy, mop-headed unicorn he fondly remembered.

“Nice place you got here,” he observed.

The figure by the fire jumped, and clambered to its hooves a little too quickly. It spun around, staring into the darkness. From the glow of the fire, Haystacks could faintly make out Mango Leaf's face, hidden amongst his thick, braided mane of mandarin and orange.

“Did ya finally decide to show up?!” he replied, his voice brashful and melodious. “Haikili save me, cousin, you like to take your sweet time, huh!?”

They took a few cantering steps forward each, meeting close enough to the light that their faces were clear to the other. He'd grown a beard since they last met, Haystacks observed. An uneasy smile spread its way across his face.

“Mango,” Haystacks murmured, proffering him a hoof.

Mango blinked. He stared at the hoof, and back. The mirth in Haystacks' chest began to spread up and away from his stomach, and now it was at the corners of his cheeks, threatening to burst. He felt like he might, and the thought didn't worry him one bit.

Mango Leaf's response, however, was a forlorn scowl.

“Haystacks,” he said, desiccating his words. “Hay-stacks. Do you mind explaining to me what in the hay is that supposed to be?” he jabbed his hoof at Haystacks' own.

The farmpony looked down at his hoof, up at Mango, and down again. Whatever smile had been there before slipped off his face like it was roped to an anchor.

“...What?” Haystacks recoiled, retracting his hoof a slight. “What do you mean, what, I –”

“Cousins don't shake hooves,” Mango Leaf replied firmly. “They hug." his voice softened. "Now come here, you big lump.”

And before Haystacks could think, the Haywaaiin took a half-step forward, reached out, and put a foreleg around his neck, pulling him into an embrace.

After a few seconds of shock, he raised his own foreleg and hugged him back tightly.

“...You missed me, then?” jibed Mango Leaf, into his left ear.

He'd often thought about how to reply to a question like that. The scene that unfolded before him was one that sometimes drifted through his mind after the evening's work was done, during those precious twilight hours where the small ponies seemed to do their best thinking.

Strange, then, that he could give no reply that felt tough or strong.

“Of course I did,” he said.

The hoof around the upper part of his back tightened sharply. For a brief second, the gentle snaps of the fire and the distant blare of cicadas was all there was to hear.

“Me too, bud.”

They separated to a hoof's length. Haystacks continued to regard the unicorn with a mixture of caution and amusement, but he couldn't help the delight that etched its way into his features.

“You... surprised me a bit, there,” he mumbled.

“Why?” The unicorn grinned foolishly, and the duo broke apart. “What, did think I'd changed horribly or something?”

“Well, so long as we're being honest with each-other, then yes.” Haystacks replied.

“And likewise, cousin. I thought you might be the one who'd changed, huh?" Mango Leaf said. "Good thing that didn't happen. You're still the ugliest son of a hydra I've ever had the chance of meeting." He turned and trotted to the fireside, leaving Haystacks to snort amusedly to himself. A wreath of emerald magic took hold of a large pot that hung just above the fireplace, removing its lid to stir slightly.

"I'm glad you're here," the unicorn added, his voice taking a fond tone as he worked.

Haystacks smiled. Spices that he hadn't thought he'd ever smell again made his mouth water.

“I wouldn't trade anything for it. Not for the world,” he replied. “I just had some work to do first.”

Now it was Mango Leaf's turn to nicker breathily. “Hah! Just like you. Keep an old friend waiting for your job? What are you, married to it?” He beckoned Haystacks over. “Come sit, so I can hear all about it. My legs are killing me.”

The earth pony took a few strides, bring himself forward to the fireside. In the light, he felt and looked less pale, less the pallid shade of dry grass and more the colour of his namesake. Warmth seeped into his hooves from the dusty earth. Whatever nerves that had dogged him vanished into the night, and as Mango Leaf placed another log on the fire, he forgot ever having had any worries at all.

“I'll trade you,” Haystacks said. “Fill me a glass of that drink you make, and we'll talk.”


Okolehao. That was what he called it. Equestrian Okolehao, 'mixed with mango juice so it didn't knock you out and send you home, cousin'. That was fine by Haystacks. The last thing he wanted to do was to fall asleep in a field next to his friend and that warm fire.

At least, that was the initial thought.

“To us again! Ōkole maluna!” Mango said cheerfully, his voice slightly slurred.

“Cheers,” he replied.

The liqueur sloshed greedily from the two tankards as they clicked together for what must have been the fourth or fifth time. Haystacks raised it to his lips and allowed the golden, fruity mixture to flow down his throat, savouring every drop.

It went nicely with the stew, a hearty mixture of rice and fresh vegetables with a mango chutney. Mango insisted he was no good with anything hot – still, after all this time, Haystacks said – but that was all fine. He helped with the cooking, and together, they made something that was more than half-edible.

The tankard was a third empty before he put it down. He continued his story as a fresh buzz of alcohol zipped its way into his stomach.

“...So I'm out in the field, with nothing on me, right? And so I had to get the damn thing unstuck, fix it, while it's raining, and I'm knee-deep in mud, and of course, as soon as I get the plough fixed again, poof.” He swept his free hoof in a fanning gesture. “Sun comes out. Beautiful weather. And here I am caked in mud and Celestia knows what else. And that's when the carriage of tourists rolls by.”

The noise Mango Leaf made was somewhere between a leaky gas pipe and a rusty axle. The tears rolling from his eyes stained his yellow coat a shade darker as he doubled over in laughter that looked almost painful.

Haystacks waited until it subsided, feeling his cheeks ache through his own barely-controlled grin, until the noise of Mango Leaf's occasional hiccuping laughs fell quiet, and nature resumed its dominance of the realms of sound and sight. He felt his head draw itself high to the heavens above, though whether the urge to do so came from the alcohol or the weariness that eked at his bones, he couldn't say.

“...I've missed this,” he whispered, barely audible above the crickets.

And there it was. More than a statement of how pleasant it was to see Mango, it tapped into that strange other, that unspoken-of area that had plagued his mind – how nice it was to not be alone for a while.

He mused about adding more to that particular thought, but decided against it. He was never so good with describing his feelings. They sat best, and most comfortably, under wraps.

“S'been a while since, huh?” Mango replied.

Haystacks blinked. The stars looked clearer tonight.

“Yeah,” he replied. “Haven't seen you in ages.”

He heard the scraping of a spoon against a bowl as somepony scooped the last of their frozen yoghurt from a wooden bowl.

“That's...” there was a pause as Mango ate more of his dessert. “'At's not what eye meen.”

Haystacks dropped his gaze. The golden pony continued to tuck into his bowl, speaking almost absent-mindedly.

“Well, what do you mean?” the farmer replied, shifting his body against the woollen rug that lay between him and the earth.

“Eye meen,” Mango said, before swallowing, “That you don't get out much.”

Haystacks nickered indignantly, but made no reply. There was nothing about Mango's attitude, laissez-faire as it was, that showed any sign of a joke. He even went so far as to size Mango Leaf up, only to find that Mango Leaf was looking at him the same way.

“And how do you figure?” he finally conceded.

Mango's head tilted, his lips locked into a contended smirk.

“I mean that the farm is all you do,” he replied.

Haystacks fell silent, watching the fire burn until the absence of a reply began to eat away at him.

“It's just work. Work is something I have to do, and that's all,” he said, taking another sip of his drink.

“So you don't like it?” came the reply.

He had to think about that one.

“I do.”

That was honest enough. The farm was one of the few things he had in this world. How could he not love it?

There was a pause.

“...When was the last time you did something like this, Hay?” Mango quipped.

Haystacks didn't have to think to give him an answer.

“I told you about the reporter mare, right?” he said. “We went to the carnival together?”

“Yeah." Mango wiped his mouth and grinned. "But was that the only time you've gotten out and about? Blown the cobwebs out, so to speak?”

Haystacks frowned.

“In how long?”

Another pause. It only took a fraction of a second for the farmer to realise that he'd said more than he'd intended to.

“Uh, I mean...” he picked his words carefully. “Technically, yes. The 'only' time.”

“And do you remember the last time before that?”

Haystacks turned his head away, gazing over the fire and into the darkness.

“It was here,” he replied. “With you.”

“So twice in a year,” Mango said flatly.

“And there was that one time I went down to the tavern and stayed a while.”

“Three times,” he repeated. "And ya folks work there. That's cheating."

“Well, I... I'm sure I'm just not remembering some of them.” he nickered, lowering his hat onto his brow a bit more. “What's your point?”

“My point is, cousin,” Mango Leaf began. Haystacks heard a shuffling, and glanced up to see that Mango was moving his things around the edge of the fire. A small mat rolled itself out beside him, and Mango Leaf lay beside him, facing the fire. They were almost touching shoulders.

“My point is... other then that, all you've done is talk about work. That's fine and all, but... do you feel like that it's all you do, though?” Mango replied. “Don't you think you're a bit... well, lifeless?”

It wasn't really an admission he had ever made to himself. Work had always kept him busy; but that was the beauty of it. Where there was work, there was never much time to do much else. Including think.

“I don't know,” he replied. For some reason, Mango was hard to look at, even though he was only a hooflength to his left. “I just do what I think is right. I don't even think about it much. I just know I have to work hard.”

A silence fell between them. The fire snapped happily, long since having been reduced to a few small branches and coals.

“I wasn't being rude, or anything, cousin.” he sounded concerned. “Maopopo I a'u. I know what you mean. You told me about you having to run the farm on your own. I was just saying that I thought you'd changed, that was all.”

A small coal, seperated from the rest of the fire by a small plain of ash, caught Haystacks' eye. It sat alone, glowing gently.

Mango Leaf would be the only pony who had really seen him before and after his life had taken a turn for the adult. He was the only pony that had snapshots of Haystacks, that went as far back as he himself could remember.

A burning sensation crept into his stomach.

“I mean, have you ever considered that you might not want to be a farmer, Hay?”

He didn't reply. He couldn't.

He wouldn't.

“...Is this about your Momma, Hay?”

A full-body shiver caught Haystacks unawares. While it was easily hidden beneath the rug draped around his shoulders, the shaking breath that accompanied it was, regrettably, left bare to the campsite and its two inhabitants, and the whole night sky.

The tankard, just short of his right hoof, never looked so appealing. He seized it, and took another drink.

It was just the alcohol, he thought. Some Haywaain plant or herb that Mango had brought with him from the far side of Equestria. Surely it was just a side effect. The tears weren't meant to be. He was a strong pony, his father's pony, the farmer.

They burned all the way down.






Nothing ever really needed to be said between them. That was the best part. Whole volumes were spoken in the slow seconds of life that washed away as they sat, watching the fire burn for just a little longer. Catharsis. There was no rush, and nothing more important than each other.

But all good things had to come to an end sometime.

“Do you remember when we first ran into eachother?” Mango said.

Haystacks nodded, though he was not able to bring his gaze to bear on the unicorn.

He had just been given frozen yoghurt from Mango. The first time was always free, Mango said. It had always seemed bizarre how much attention the cart had gotten from the villageponies, so Haystacks accepted. One bite, and he saw why.

“I was gettin' angry at the flower mare,” Mango continued.

“...Lily?” the farmpony murmured.

Mango shivered audibly at the name.

“'Ae, that nag. Terrible temper... but she has a great butt.”

Haystacks snorted with a mixture of shock and laughter. The exertion felt good, an outlet for the pressure in his chest.

“S-she was paying you out about the flower snowcone, as I recall,” he said. “The one you made from her ruined flower garden.”

Mango Leaf nickered angrily. “But the snowcone was a great idea!”

“Time and place, surely?...” Haystacks murmured.

“No.” The unicorn paused for emphasis. “That's just it, Haystacks. That's just it.”

He felt a warmth on his shoulder, and looked over to find a hoof there. He looked up.

Haystacks could never recall Mango looking so intense, so serious in all his life.

“That's the whole point,” Mango said. “Don't you see? You can't compromise on what you feel like you have to do, cousin.” He gave Haystacks a wan smile. “You can't, not even for a second. And in the long run, if you can't meet your dreams halfway, then how are you ever going to be happy?”

Haystacks bowed his head. The shadow of the hat shaded his cheeks from the heat of the campfire.

“When you...” he sniffed, and wiped away the damp at the corner of his eye. “When you have people who rely on you, things change. It all changes.”

“That's true. But I don't think, even then, that your parents would want you to have anything less then they have. That they would want you to give up on your own dreams. That's why they worked so hard in the first place, right?”

The farmpony blinked, mulling the thought over.

It seemed... right. It made sense. He had never told his parents about Minie Ball's offer, and he had never been able to work out why. Had he thought they would be angry for passing up on the chance to leave? To sell his business and just go somewhere, like Mango?

“Life throws adversity at you.” Mango continued. “But you have to find a way to carry on regardless. I spent too long trying to do things that everyone wanted me to do. Luau and firebreathing and swimming and canoeing, and sweet sun-princess knows what else. And in the end, all I wanted to do in life was just simple. I just wanted to share frozen yoghurt, what I liked the most, with everyone. Sure, it didn't stick too well with my folks at first, but at the end of the day, that's what made me happy, and they helped me with that." Mango Leaf paused a moment. "I didn't compromise on what made me happy. And you shouldn't either."

Haystacks couldn't help but chuckle, just a little. The logic, while classically Mango Leaf, was bizarrely sound. And despite the uncertainty in his heart, the thought of Mango persevering stayed with him, and the more un-knotted his stomach began to feel.

“How, though?” Haystacks said. “I've got so much to do right now, it's just –” He sighed. His shoulders felt heavy. “So much to do.”

Mango Leaf clucked his tongue. “I don't know how, cousin. I'm just a simple fro-yo vendor. But don't worry. If we think about it together, and walk the same road, then I'm sure we'll make some sense out of it. But you promise you'll chase your dreams, right?” He shoved Haystacks lightly. “No matter what happens.”

Haystacks nodded gamely, and dragged the back of his hoof across both of his eyes. The smile slipped unbidden onto his cheeks.

“Whatever they might be,” he said. “I promise.”




Mango Leaf vs. Haystacks - by Mango Leaf's Author

Gillette's wings flexed, stretching out as they reached the top of the overlook. She had to admit that she would've much preferred wing to hoof out here in the country, especially in her condition. But, Mango had been right; southern Equestria certainly was a different place from Canterlot.

The humidity, the way ponies spoke, how the days seemed so much longer and more relaxed… it’d been a wonderful vacation so far.

"There," Mango piped up, pointing a hoof at a distant farmhouse far down the other side of the hill. "That's where we're going." He gave her a slightly worried look. "How are you holding, love?"

She snorted, rubbing her belly and feeling a soft kick. "I'm fine, is that it? That little farm?" Gillette asked, popping her knees in anticipation as she glanced between the fields and Mango. "I know that you've traveled all over, but how'd you even meet a pony way down here? Were you selling froyo door-to-door or something?" She looked at the acres upon acres of cropland. She certainly couldn't imagine the margins would be very high out here in the podunks of Equestria.

Mango just chuckled, giving her a loving peck on the cheek. "Nah, I've known him for almost as long as you've known Rachis." He smiled, eyes focused on something far away—and apparently invisible as Gillette followed his gaze. "He changed my life. And I think, in some small way, I changed his too."


It all started when the Princesses decided that they needed to reform the reserve guard, just in case one of Equestria's old enemies was somehow resurrected and decided to, y’know, eradicate everypony and the regular guard was not enough. Remember how some ponies received their summons? Well, I got one. I wasn't thrilled, but as you can imagine, I took the punches with as much dignity as I could and rolled with it.

"Get your hooves off of me!" Mango Leaf shouted as he was hauled into the barracks and dumped in front of a group of similarly shorn, washed and uniformed rookies. Mango immediately whirled about, trying to flee, but the two guards that had brought him in glared him down.

"You're staying here until your training is complete!" the pegasus guard, twice the size of Mango, growled. "Do not even attempt to flee. The Drill Sergeant will be here soon."

Mango had barely a moment to open his mouth to complain before his duffle bag was heaved at him.

It didn't take long for another pony to show up, just as they had said. When I looked at him, I knew this had to be the commanding officer.

He was big and strong, standing proud at the door, looking at all of us as we each tried to stand taller in his presence. He had a buzz cut where a blond mane used to be going by the tail, as well as a wheat-colored coat visible under his uniform. He had a very intense look and carried himself with a dignity that demanded a pony follow him into battle, for glory and honor.

Of course reality had other ideas.

"Out of the way, ya filthy sun-scrubbed maggot!" a voice called from behind the stallion at the door. "What do you think you are? A curtain?"

The rookie was pushed out of the way by a short, muscular to the point of absurdity, grey-coated minotaur in uniform and a campaign hat.

He glared at the room and stomped his hoof on the floor, making it crack. "Atteeeen-hut!"

Every pony in the barrack lined up for the shorter creature, who started pacing in front of them.

"Listen up, maggots! I am Drill Sergeant Iron Hammer! I am here to turn you from the good-fer-nothin' bits of masticated barley that you are, into proper! Strong! Loyal! And capable guards!"

Turns out the guy at the door was just another rookie by the name of Haystacks, which would have been obvious if I had taken a second glance at his uniform. But Iron Hammer was a minotaur with a vision: a vision of pain… of anger and fury… and of boot camp being a Dantesque torture risen from Tartarus itself

"You call that a gallop?!" Iron Hammer roared as Mango tried and failed to run a second loop around the courtyard at any speed higher than a wheezing, dragging half-canter while his limbs scraped along the dusty ground.

"No, Sir!" Mango gasped. "I call it 'not being made for this,’ Sir!"

"Do not take that attitude with a superior officer, maggotbait! I don't care what you think you're made of! I will rip you apart atom by atom and rebuild you into a fighting machine so help me, Celestia!" Iron Hammer's face went red as he shouted, "I will make a soldier of you, rookie!" Iron Hammer growled, pointing at Haystacks. "You should follow his example, he knows to follow orders!"

Mango didn't care as his legs finally gave out, rolling onto his back and stretching, accidentally sticking a hoof in the way of Haystacks, who by now was on his third loop.

This had the misfortune of tripping him, and sending the large stallion to crash straight onto the ranting minotaur.

At least it shut him up for a bit.

Iron Hammer wasn’t happy with either of us, although I fully admit it was my fault. And who could blame me? I wasn’t made for half-hour sprints!

Anyways, he decided to punish us in the traditional manner: cleaning the restrooms with our toothbrushes.

"I'm telling you, buddy," Mango sighed, leaning against the door as his magic forced the toothbrush back and forth against a particularly resilient stain a few feet away. "There are so very few things you can't mix with froyo that don't taste delicious, you'd be surprised."

Haystacks rolled his eyes, dropping the toothbrush from his mouth to indulge the unicorn. "You don't say?"

And then, for no good reason, just because I’d “done something,” Iron Hammer would crack down on us again!

"Yep! You can start with the regular flavors, you know? Kiwi, banana, strawberry, blueberry..."

We’d have to do push-ups in the rain...

"...mango—of course—, dragon fruit, mamey, apples, cherymoya, chayote, duku..."

...sweep the courtyard during lunch...

"...jicama, sweet potatoes, lime shavings..." Mango paused, and Haystacks' ears twitched. "Orange peals..."

Haystacks' shoulders slumped and he resumed sweeping.

...stand outside all night to “secure the flag.”

Beet root, cardamom, zap apple..." Mango pondered for a moment, glancing over at Haystacks. "...and popcorn," Mango finally said before a silence stretched between the pair.

Haystacks' eyebrows rose when the silence lasted past thirty seconds and he looked to his fellow flag-watcher.

"Popcorn?" he asked, genuinely intrigued. "In froyo?"

Mango Leaf nodded. "An unusual flavor to be sure, but once the butter freezes and you eat it with yogurt, it's a bit like the food they eat in the minotaur lands. Salty and savoury twists for froyo. I'm telling you, my friend: the possibilities are endless."

Haystacks nodded, conceding the point. "I thought so too. I'm surprised you managed to list all the possible ingredients."

Mango barked out a laugh. "Nah, I didn't want to bore you with an excessively long list, you would have lost interest real quick." He sighed. "At least, getting to know... you…” He paused a moment as if asking, but before Haystacks could respond, he continued, “Anyways, I've started to hate this place less. I don't know about you, but I hate being stuck in one place. I can't wait to get out of here."

This time it was Haystacks' eyebrow that twitched.

Both of them snapped to attention, looking up at the flag as Iron Hammer marched his way up to them, and stopped, glaring at them for a moment, before snorting and walking away. The pair relaxed after a few minutes.

"No, but seriously," Mango Leaf said sincerely, "What's your name?"

Haystacks and I were inseparable from then on, given that we were assigned as battle-buddies. We were both held accountable for whatever the other messed up, no matter how uninvolved either party was.

"I'm really, really sorry, Haystacks," Mango said, looking at the roof from his mattress on the floor right next to Haystacks’, also on the floor. "I really didn't expect to be caught with Recoil Effect under the bed frame."

Haystacks was quiet for a moment. Mango could see his ears twitch, silhouette shifting as he gave a ponderous raise and lowering of a hoof.

"Mango. You know it's against the rules for mares and stallions to be in each other’s sleeping quarters," the earth pony said with his slow, deep voice. "Why would you risk that?"

Mango shrugged. "I don't know. I’m just... I'm not made for this, and... I don't want to waste an opportunity to meet somepony special, you know? Life is about taking risks, after all. If I just let chance pass me by, I'm going to be stuck in the same place forever."

Haystacks took a deep breath and let it out slowly, turning to look at Mango, barely visible in the darkness. "Rushing into things like that don't work all the time either, Mango. Sometimes ponies need to slow down and carefully consider the future and those that depend on us."

Mango sighed, hitting the mattress with his hoof, although he wasn't frustrated or upset. "Have you ever... you know, loved somepony?"

The silence stretched for so long that Mango thought for a moment that Haystacks had fallen asleep. But, just as he was about to also drift off, he heard his friend say one name:

"Minié Ball."

Haystacks didn't talk much about his ex. To be fair, I gathered it had not ended well.

Although when he showed me her picture... I'm not sure what he did wrong, but by looks alone... it was his loss.

Ouch! What was that for? It's true!

Anyway, our first week was mostly harmless shenanigans and draconian reprisals. It didn't really get better the second week, but Iron Hammer was mostly done punishing us and more interested in getting us to be "real soldiers".

"Do I make myself clear?!"

"SIR! YES SIR!"

"Mango Leaf! What did you mutter there, you sorry excuse for a fermented tropical fruit?"

"NOTHING SIR! I DID NOT MUTTER ANYTHING AT ALL!"

"Are you playing with me, Mango?!" Iron Hammer roared, standing eye to eye with Mango Leaf. "I saw your mouth move! I want to see it move again, repeating whatever imbecilic utterance at an audible level! Let all the good fillies and colts hear!"


"I MUTTERED NOTHING, SIR! NOTHING WILL MAKE ME MORE PROUD THAN TO BE A SOLDIER, SIR!"

Iron Hammer glared at Mango Leaf before turning his glare to Haystacks.

"Haystacks! Step forward and face Mango Leaf!"

Haystacks followed the order dutifully, stepping forth and turning to face his friend.

"Mango! Tell Haystacks you didn't say anything at all. Each time you lie, Haystacks will do one hundred push-ups!"

Mango's eyes widened, and he looked at his battle-buddy in shock. Haystacks, although externally calm, had a certain pleading glint to his eyes and it was clear that his body was already tensed in anticipation of the punishment.

"Mango Leaf!" Iron Hammer called again. "I thought you hadn't said anything! Why are you hesitating?"

I knew that if I admitted to saying "I'd rather sell froyo to fire elementals" there would be Tartarus to pay. In a split second, looking at those begging blue eyes, I knew what I had to do. There was no other way to deal with the situation, and with the trust Haystacks and I had built... it was no question really.

"I SAID NOTHING, SIR!"

Iron Hammer asked me three more times before he gave up. I apologized to Haystacks every day for the whole week, and although he made it seem like it was nothing, I know—deep down—he was glad to take one for the team.

"Mango Leaf!"

"Sir!"

"Did you just freeze the General's dinner?!"

"Sir! Yes Sir!"

"Why?!"

"Sir! It’ll taste better cold, sir!"

It wasn't much later that we had a chance to talk freely in the mess hall when we were put on late night cleanup duty once more. But, oddly enough, it wasn't until then that I really got to understand Haystacks. It all started with a question.

"Why did you leave Hoofululu?"

"I-What?" Mango stopped moping and looked over the kitchen counter at Haystacks, who was busy wiping the tables. "Why do you ask?"

Haystacks shrugged, moving efficiently from one table to the next, focusing on his work, but still relaxed enough to talk. "It's been bothering me, is all," he said. "We're a long way from your home. Your family, parents... friends... I just don't get how you can be so happy so far away from them."

Mango Leaf frowned. "Well, I wanted to start my own business, you know? Sell froyo. See the world." He leaned against the mop and looked at his friend. "Don't tell me you've never wanted to escape the farm? Maybe elope with Minié, see the big cities, visit Hoofululu, Canterlot, Baltimare..."

Haystacks snorted and shook his head, although constant hanging around his friend had given Mango some insight into his body language, which was at times more expressive than any words the stallion might use.

His wiping continued, but the strength from before was gone, making it a light sweep rather than a cleansing wipe as he had done with the other tables. His shoulders sagged a little bit, not too much, but enough to draw attention to those that knew what to look for, and his head lowered while his eyes grew distant.

"Haystacks? You okay, buddy?"

"It don't matter," Haystacks finally answered. "I've thought about it, but the farm's my home. My father and mother left it in my hooves and I owe it to them to keep it afloat. Ain’t no mare or no pony gonna change that."

Mango kept mopping the floor in silence for a few moments. "Did they, I mean are they—"

"No," Haystacks shook his head. "They recently left for the city. My dad’s taking care of the farm with help from some neighbors and going down again to take care of my mother while I'm here." He paused and looked over at Mango. "That's why I ask. I'm surprised you left your parents behind."

Mango nodded, having finished the kitchen floor and moving out to the lunch floor, moving through the area Haystacks had already finished. "My parents hated the cold. They moved to Haywaii to avoid it. But I love it. It was my dream to do this stuff and staying there would have..." He sighed, resting his forehead on the mop's wooden handle. "I guess they're confused as to whether they should be proud of me or terrified for my future. But they wouldn't have stopped me either way, what they wanted for me was my happiness and this travelling around and selling froyo is the life I chose. I think they respect that."

Haystacks shrugged. "I don't know if I’d have it in me to ignore my father's wishes," he said, slowly starting to wipe the tables again with a bit more pressure. "And I don't know if I’d want to. My mother and father lived their whole lives there, and I've lived there my whole life too..."

I guess by then some of Haystacks’ calmer personality had rubbed off on me and I gave it some thought.

To him, there were many excuses to stay home. His roots were just stronger than mine, and he honestly loved the farm. It made more sense to not let a good thing die than to hope the new thing might work. He loved his parents and was afraid of losing them.

It was cowardly in some ways, naive in others, and finally noble in a way I simply couldn't be and that probably was killing his mother as much as whatever it was that had landed her in the hospital. But I hoped dearly he would eventually burst out and do something with his life.

We finished cleaning in silence, neither of us wanting to broach the subject again and went to sleep soon after. We only had one week left, after all.

The bells started in the middle of the night. They were the only warning before Iron Hammer burst into the barracks at full volume.

"Wake up, ya dead-like, snoring leeches! It's the real deal!"

As everypony in the room rushed to get their armor on, Iron Hammer called out for them.

"Mango! Haystacks! You're coming with me! We're on catapult duty! The rest of you go report to Sergeant Stammers for further orders!"

Mango and Haystacks shared a look before falling into step behind the trotting minotaur.

"Now listen you two, as far as I'm concerned, are both expendable. And as much as I loathe to admit, you might be the only ones crazy enough to find a way to deal... with that!"'

Iron Hammer had hopped up onto the catapult for a better view and pointed a finger at a large approaching creature. It looked like a mixture of minotaur and pony as it snatched up struggling soldiers and sucked out their energy before moving on, towards the base.

"You want us to find a way to stop that?!" Mango asked, incredulous.

"You're the horseapple-spewing prankster that don't ever learn and he"—Iron Hoof pointed at Haystacks—"is the best cadet I've ever seen at following orders and staying put, but can't even lick the box much less think outside of it! Unlike you, he came pre-broken and maybe if I smash your heads together I'll get a competent soldier instead of a wandering vagrant and a sissy homebody! Now get to—"

I'll never know why Haystacks pulled the lever and catapulted our drill sergeant straight at Tirek or why he was grinning like that. I asked him later, but he wouldn't tell me. Or maybe he didn't know himself. For my part, I promised myself not to question him ever again on why he wouldn't leave that damn farm.


"Did that slow down Tirek?" Gillette asked as they walked on one of the long, earthen roads that separated one patch of crops from another and turned to face Haystacks home, which now was just a little distance away.

"Nah, not even close. He just caught him and sucked him dry, then us a minute later." Mango shrugged. "We were dishonorably discharged, and never heard from the army again but Haystacks and I kept in touch through letters, and well," he gave her a pained grin. "If all fails, I always know exactly where to find him."

The pair made their way to the door and stared at the sign.

Gone Fishin’

"Well," Mango corrected, arching an eyebrow, "most of the time anyway. Come on, I know where the spare key is."

"He knows we were visiting, right?"

"Of course! I sent him a letter yesterday!"

"Mango!"

"I'm joking! He knows we're coming. I would have told his wife, but he never got married."

The End