• Published 11th Jul 2015
  • 3,258 Views, 84 Comments

The Man With The Quarter-Staff - HopeForTheFew



When Humanity is on its last stand from the power of chaos. One man will rise up and defend his people, to whatever end.

  • ...
16
 84
 3,258

Chapter 4: The Power Of Music

"Break open the ale!" When I said this I got cheers from every man, and some women. We had successfully one the battle against chaos and now we were celebrating our victory.


I watched as several people scrambled to the weak liquor, eager for a drink. A smile touched my face as I saw my merry people.


I was so busy gazing at the people that I failed to noticed that same little girl walk up next to me. She tugged on my leg and I looked down. My smile grew as I recognized the little girl beneath me. I picked her up in my arms and gave her a strong hug before putting her down. She giggled and smiled up at me. I knelt down and said two simple words to her. "Thanks you." I whispered in her ear and she just giggled again before saying.
"Your welcome!" And then she left without a further word. I stood back up and walked over to the keg barrels that were full of ale.
Tonight is gonna be a good night.


Celestia awoke from her dark slumber. How long was she out? she didn't know, all she knew was that some great evil had come upon them. What it was she had not a clue. She stood up and shook her light head in a vain attempt to get the dizziness out of her. Once her light head had become clear once more she gazed around the area. Her eyes widened as she saw thousands upon thousands of dead ponies in a war torn wasteland. Tears filled her eyes as she collapsed to the ground and began to cry over her subjects. What could have caused this much death? She kept asking herself.


But while she was crying a hand was placed on her shoulder and she looked up to see a Human in a dark cloak looking down at her. The Human knelt down and whispered into her ear something comforting, he said. "Come, let us go and get your friends." And with that said the man picked up Celestia in his arms and began to walk towards a city that was in ruins. For it was the last city of Humanity.


The Human entered the city and walked towards a tall building in the center of the city, it was one of the last buildings in that city that actually stood. He approached the building and opened the door. There were several other Humans inside and they seemed to be celebrating over something. But the Human that was carrying her just walked past those people and he opened another door which led down into a basement.


The man carried her down the flight of stairs and brought her two a room with several ponies. Some were injured and some her fine. All were confused.


Celestia's eyes widened as she saw a familiar pony and she flew out of the arms of the man. The man chuckled a little bit at this as he watched Celestia and her sister reunite. Without the power of chaos, Harmony could thrive, and would thrive. Though there will always be a spirit of chaos.


The man walked over to the other side of the room where he gathered the Elements and told them about Celestia's return. When they heard this their eyes widened and they all got out of their beds immediately. The man led them to Celestia and they all gave her large hugs. They were so glad to see their ruler again.


The man then began to walk around and check on all the ponies to see if they needed anything or wanted anything. Though all the ponies said that they didn't require anything the man knew that they were all sorrowful and he knew that something needed to be done to rise their spirits. And so the man went upstairs and retrieved Joshua who had become a good friend of the mans and he brought Joshua downstairs.


And so Joshua took a seat, brought his guitar up to his lap and bgan to play. The ears of all the ponies perked up when they heard the sound of music and they were slowly swaying back and forth to the song, some were even dancing to it. This brought a huge grin to the mans face as he listened to the music intently. The man then teleported his staff to him and began to repeatedly strike the ground with it, creating a low rumble that sounded like a subwoofer was going off. All of the sudden the ponies began to sing with the music and all were dancing, even the most heavy of heart.


I was surprised that Joshua had agreed to come down here and sing for the ponies since most of the Humans blamed them for all the death but Joshua must have believed me when I told them that it was Discords fault for that and not the ponies. I was glad he believed in me but even more glad at the happy faces of the ponies. When I was a child I would always love to go around and spread joy in whatever way I could.


When the song ended all the ponies hooves were smashing the ground in applause as they cheered Joshua on and they kept asking for more. And boy did Joshua give them more. Joshua began to play: Stand By Me. Which got them all even more joyful.


The song finished some time ago and now all the ponies were going to sleep except Luna since it was the night time and it was her domain. That one lonely man walked out with Luna and they both gazed out at the beautiful night sky that Luna had created. It had been some time since the night was so pretty like this and it forced a smile on the mans face. He put his arm around Luna and whispered in her ear: "Thanks you." He said before he turned and walked back inside. But before he could do so Luna called out to him and said: "No, thank you." She said as her horn glowed brightly and she tuned he head back to the sky to make it appear more wonderful than it already was.


The man gave a curt nod before walking back inside and going over to his bedroom. He deserved a good nights sleep, he would need it for what he had planned for tomorrow. Tomorrow would be a work day, they would try to get the city back in order and then they would do their best to fix the landscape that had been so demolished.


The man landed in bed and got comfortable, he turned off the little kerosene lamp that was next to him on a small corner table and he closed his eyes. Something told him that he would have sweet dreams tonight.