• Published 30th Jun 2015
  • 12,891 Views, 3,485 Comments

Astral Aegis - Silvak



Aether managed to help the princesses fix the dimensional barriers of Equus, but now she had taken the role of training a team of ponies devoted to dealing with any potential interdimensional threats that could come to Equus.

  • ...
69
 3,485
 12,891

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter LXII: Land (unedited)

After Starlight suggested that I do something with all the bits I've been saving along with seeking some kind higher education so that when I retired from my job, or more likely quit when I am certain that I'm no longer needed, I would still be able to do something with my life. Raising foals wasn't an option, since I still show no desire to find a romantic partner regardless of the storm of hormones that puberty is putting me through. Which was amusing when Cadence paid me a visit to help get me on the path of finding my 'one true love'. It ended with her almost practically pulling her mane out with her forehooves out of sheer frustration.

On the topic of love, is was only a four months after my house visit when I had to go to Applejack's wedding. Go figure the more stable one was the first to find 'true love'. Though Pinkie wasn't having such a good time, for after about five months after the wedding she was dumped by her coltfriend. I spent about a hour comforting her, my heart arching as I tried to suggest things we could to cheer her up. When I finally suggested baking a cake, that was when she finally perked up. Then forty minutes later she was rolling all over the kitchen floor, laughing hysterically at how I caused the cake we were baking to blow up in such a way that I somehow ended up being buried in the majority of the cake's remains. The odd part about it was that I didn't use magic when we were trying to bake the cake, just my hooves.

Nothing exciting happened as time passed by till two months later, when the scientists finally made a breakthrough with Project Sinkhole. After many hardships, along with Discord occasionally pushing the limits of their sanity, they were finally able to come up with a device that could draw in dimensional travel to Selene. This was tested on Magus after closing the primary gate, and then they tried to open a gate from the planet to Equus, only for them to end up on Selene instead. Furthermore, it was shown that the device made dimensional portals a bit unstable, which caused them to have a limited lifespan, yet thankfully Discord was able to tell that both Selene's and Magus's dimensional barriers weren't harmed by the experiment. Though we finally have the means to prevent a direct invasion of Equus, unless the aliens find a way to bypass it, the researchers wanted to improve on the device, such as seeing how much of a range it possesses at certain power levels. As long as Discord is there to let us know when the scientists have finally doomed us all to a horrible end or a life of slavery, I guess they can fulfill their curiosity if it could help us out in the long run.

Moving on, it wasn't till three month later, when I received some annoying news from none other than Princess Celestia on what my future may be, regardless that several months ago I was stocking up on various textbooks that Twilight recommended for me that would suit my natural talent with magic. Somehow, she caught word of Starlight's suggestion of purchasing land only for me to reject the idea, cause Celestia decided to grant the title of Baroness, along with a parcel of uninhabited fertile land north of Canterlot. At first I was wondering what she was plotting, till I started to get mail from various nobility that were congratulating me on my rise in nobility, along with an increase of invitations to some parties or social gatherings. Normally, I only get one every other month or so due to my position as the captain of the guard, but now I'm getting one or two a week now. While this made me wonder if the nobility are just a bunch of idiots that sat around spending their money on pointless social events, I can certainly tell that Celestia only grant me this new title to cause me more torment.

As a result, I decided it was time for some retaliation, which consisted of sneaking some laxatives into some of Celestia's cakes that were chocolate, though I was tempted to just devoured them. After that, I learned that Twilight was the one that informed Celestia of my boredom, due to a conversation she had with Starlight. In turn, I emptied out her library before spreading all her books all over the castle one night. They thought that Luna's therapy was able to bring me to a level of tolerable stability, at least in the anger and violence department. I guess I proved them wrong.

After my revenge episode, which involved Luna having to put a few extra sessions for me on Celestia's request along with some future plan to punish me for my actions, two months passed before the scientists discovered a third habitable world, which was given to the griffons in line of the treaty that they and the other species agreed to years ago. As part of the treaty, the Aegis Guard was a neutral military force that was supported by all nations as I suggested. Seven months after that, Equus was hit with another stroke of luck when a fourth world was discovered, which was Equestria claimed. A world that like Selene, received its light from a moon. Difference is the world had six moons, to Luna's delight.

Two months after the discovery of the fourth world, which has been named Nocturne, Celestia's revenge plan finally came into play. Apparently, even though I was willing to let the land she gave me sit unused, it turned out that there was some fertile land and valuable resources that can be used. This I found out when a letter arrived that bore the names of some ponies that wanted to settle on the land, which also came with a letter attached to it written by Celestia. Apparently, some of the ponies were poor farmers that needed to move to fertile land, but couldn't afford to immigrate to Magus nor Nocturne. However, they were interested in my land due to some government subsidies that Celestia apparently set up. The other ponies that wanted to settle were some poor miners, that learned that there was some rich mineral veins underneath my land. So, since Celestia clearly set things up so that I had to personally handle the matter, and that I couldn't refuse since that would be putting these ponies on the streets instead. I should've just went over to Canterlot and buck her teeth in instead of the laxatives.


"This is a buckin waste of time," I commented to myself while I was heading towards Twilight's castle. According to the letter, today the farmers and the miners were going to arrive at the castle so we can meet and discuss the nature of them being residents on my land.

"Now darling, I don't think it is a waste of time to hear to the appeals of these ponies who simply wish to make a living on your land," Rarity replied, who was accompanying to help me out in this matter. Though I personally think it was more of either Celestia ordering her to come with me, or Twilight requesting her to keep an eye on me. Regardless, I wasn't going to be rude to Rarity since either she was being sincere, or was just forced into this.

"Celestia only did this over the cake incident. I'm not like most nobles, so I would just be fine with them just settling on it and doing what they want as long as they don't wreck the place."

"But darling, if they are living on your land, then you have a responsibility to take care of them. Even if other nobles impose restrictions or taxes on their tenants, they make certain that the tenants are happy with their arrangements," Rarity explained.

"Which is still something that Celestia can take care of. This is just going to pull me into the political world more than I already have. Dear Luna, I'm tempted to start a bonfire with all the letters the nobility have sent me lately," I responded with a huff. Before Rarity could make a reply, we arrived at the castle to spot a group of wagons with some ponies that looked rather down on their luck. Though what stuck me odd the most was the fact that there was some foals with the group. I stopped as I saw a pair of earth ponies approaching us, though Rarity grimace slightly at the amount of dirt they had on their coats.

"Greetings Baroness Aether, it is an honor to have you hear our reque—" said a green coated stallion before I decided to interrupte him.

"Cut it with the pleasantries, I just rather get straight to business," I interjected, causing Rarity to eye me in annoyance. "You'll probably expecting me to be like the other nobles, but I'm not. Just give me your requests and ideas, and I'm likely going to approve of them unless they harm the land."

Upon hearing my words, the two ponies muzzles took on some mild grins as a yellow mare said, "Thank you Ba—" only for me to hold up a hoof to single her to drop the use of my title. "We just plan to raise our family and some crops on the land, but we will respect it and make certain to preserve the land."

Nodding, the stallion added, "My family and I will do the same, we'll keep our mining from damaging the landsc—" before I tuned him out as I eyed the families of the two ponies. That was when I noticed just how poor they were, with the adults being rather thin, while the foals were just playing with sticks and rocks. Just as the stallion finished with whatever he was saying, Rarity was about to respond when I raised a hoof to silence everyone.

"Big question, how are your families going to pay for all this changes? I know Celestia is offering subsidies, but something tells me that it may not be enough," I asked, while pointing a hoof at their wagons, only to cause the two to become nervous. "Relax, just tell me what you and your families may need to get yourselves set up properly." Apparently, other ponies aren't normally kind to them, based on their pupils widening with hope at what I told them. Rarity, on the other hoof, was smiling at my declaration, which only caused me to roll my eyes at her in response. "So how about we head inside and work this over in my office. Rarity, mind taking their families to someplace where they can get a meal?"


After dealing with the two ponies, I ended up drawing some funds from my bank account to cover all the materials the families would need to set up their livelihoods, while hiring a contractor who would be building them homes and whatever structures they needed. Shortly after the two ponies left, Rarity arrived in my office as I just sat there rubbing my forehead with a hoof.

"That was quite generous of you, Aether," Rarity said with a smile as she look at me, which quickly turned into a frown when she saw my expression. "Though I'm surprise that you're putting up such a fuss over it now since it didn't seem to bothered you earlier."

"It's not a bother for me to help those in need, Rarity," I said with a sigh. "I was in the same position as they were in my past life. I wouldn't be any different from those that caused so many species to live on the streets if I deny them help when I can afford to. I'm just annoyed by Celestia. And before you ask, yes I will get Celestia back for this."

"Do you really have to be so petty, Aether?" Rarity asked with a scowl, to which I just smirked at her in response.

"Of course, Rarity. Do you really have to ask?"

PreviousChapters Next