• Published 30th Jun 2015
  • 12,908 Views, 3,485 Comments

Astral Aegis - Silvak



Aether managed to help the princesses fix the dimensional barriers of Equus, but now she had taken the role of training a team of ponies devoted to dealing with any potential interdimensional threats that could come to Equus.

  • ...
69
 3,485
 12,908

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter LIV: Tear

"Why do we keep that thing around? Why not just have her come back, shatter the thing and bury the pieces all over Equestria?"

"Cause our friends are over there, and if there’s a magic problem, we have to take care of it."

"Hey, I don't know anyone over there, and didn't the magic problems begin when you and her went over there?"

"..."

"See? I got you there. Hence my point is valid; just taking her back and breaking the mirror would probably end the magic problems in that world once and for all," I said as I point my hoof at Twilight, while keeping both a box and twenty feet between me and the magic mirror. It was a couple weeks after my talk with Discord, after which he was kind enough to give me a list of ideas he had that I could draw upon just by sending him a letter. He even sent up some kind of inbox in my office just for that so it can be sent instantaneously. Before he left though, he watched as I looked over the list, which was actually a stack of papers. After viewing the first few sheets, I told him that odds are I'll probably incorporate most of them. Only Silver heard of our plans, although he kept his mouth shut, besides muttering that the recruits would suffer horrendously over the next few years.

Things were highly uneventful in the meantime, with just some kind of concert going on that I didn't bother to attend, and Discord showing up to fire wads of cotton candy from a battery of cannons at my recruits while they race through one of the training fields. However, the momentary peace came to an end when Twilight received a message from Sunset about the magical occurrences that were happening in the other world. This led to her confronting me about it in order to go over to the world, but after reading the entry, I told her to just send over advice and not risk using the mirror. However, when she received a second message the next day, Twilight was insistent on going.

"Even if Sunset left, the other girls are displaying magic, so I have to be there to fix the problem," Twilight replied as she approached the mirror.

Shaking my head, I responded, "If only these mirrors were never made in the first place. That world wouldn't have a magic issue, and Equus wouldn't have to prepare for a possible invasion."

"But if there mirrors were never made, then you wouldn't be here."

"My statement still stands," I countered. Twilight just gave me an odd look before shaking her head.

"Regardless, what done is done and I have a duty to help my friends. Hopefully this will be quick," Twilight declared as she started walking into the mirror, only to smash her face against it.

Blinking, I asked, "Is that supposed to happen?"

Instead of getting an answer, Twilight frantically backed away from the mirror as she pressed her forehooves against it. "No no no no no! This isn't supposed to happen!"

Tilting my head, I pressed on with my questioning. "Is the mirror broken or something?"

"No! This hasn't happened before!" Twilight shrieked as she started to check the various devices connected to the mirror before pulling the book off the top.

While she was flipping pages around, I replied, "Okay... I'm just going to leave you to that as I return to my own business," before turning around to go on my way.

However, Twilight had other plans in mind when she yelled, "Aether, wait!"

Letting out a sigh, I turned my head around as I asked, "What?" before seeing that Twilight had that eerie smile of hers, which caused me to fold my ears against my head.

"Maybe you can help me fix whatever is interfering with the mirror! Your special talent is related to dimensions, after all, and we think your horn may be in tune with dimensions too!" Twilight declared, all while maintaining her smile.

This caused me to narrow my eyes at her as I simply responded, "No," before turning my head around to make my leave.

Sadly, that was prevented when Twilight teleported in front of me as she said, "But Aether, we have to help Sunset! The mirror not working is a bad sign! Who knows what’s going on there, we have to do something!"

"I am doing something: I'm walking away!" I snapped back while sidestepping Twilight, who, instead of acting like a responsible adult by letting me go, grabbed me by my shoulders before turning me around to face her.

"I'm being serious here Aether!" Twilight yelled into my ears, loud enough that it threatened burst my eardrums. Narrowing my eyes in fury, I did the same thing anyone would do in this situation. I took out my taser and zapped the crazy pony. Twilight shrieked and spasm for a moment before dropping to the floor, which also demonstrated that Celestia must be made of tougher stuff than Twilight, since they're both alicorns. Unless there are multiple subgroups to the alicorn tribe.

"Twilight, you need to calm down," I simply said as I stashed my taser back in my mane.

"You tased me!" Twilight shrieked after recovering from the shock.

Knowing where this could be going, I took my taser out again as I asked, "Want me to tase you again?" Receiving a wide-eyed shake of her head from Twilight, I decided it was high time to get some rational logic into her head. "Twilight, do you really want to mix my magic with a magical portal to another world? Despite the fact that my magic is a bit unpredictable with other dimensions, such as when it brought us to the world I lived on? Where we were so close to being eaten? Or when my first interaction with the mirror caused an imprint to invade my mind?"

Blinking for a bit, Twilight got to her hooves as she answered, "I… You have a point... what was I thinking‽"

"I say you were thinking like a maniac," I replied, causing Twilight to glower at me. "What? Have you ever looked at yourself when you're freaking out like that? Tell you what, next time you're freaking out that bad, I'll get a camera and take a picture, so you can see what you look like."

Letting out an exasperated sigh, Twilight just shook her head at me before turning around to face the mirror as she declared, "I guess I have to figure out what's wrong with the mirror. Maybe Sunset knows something about it."

"Yeah, you get to that, while I put as much distance as I can between me and that thing. We don't want more interdimensional problems to show up, we already got enough on our plate already. Good luck Twilight," I responded before I left.


"Why aren't you worried about the mirror?"

"Simple, there is nothing I can do about it, short of shattering it with a hammer. Which, for the record, I still really want to do," I replied, as Silver and I look up into the sky to see one of my recruits parachuting down. It's been a couple days since the mirror stopped working, and while Twilight was frantically trying to figure out what is wrong while communicating with Sunset, I opted to just ignore it and focus my own work. While a good portion of them are handling it fine, there is the occasional screamer that I'm marking down for more parachuting practice. After watching the recruit land forty feet shy of the marked landing zone, I waved a hoof for them to get out of the way so the next recruit can have their turn.

"Are you certain that breaking the mirror is a good idea in itself?" Silver asked.

"There was another like it, and it was broken into pieces. Since nothing bad came from that happening, it probably means we can safely break this mirror, too. Besides, it's better than keeping it around to cause more problems in the future," I commented, while watching a recruit having a panic attack as they fell down from the sky. As I was about to mark something down, my horn started to feel weird. "Oh, what the buck now‽" I yelled as I dropped my notepad to rub a hoof against my horn.

"Something the matter, madam?"

"My horn is bugging me, which means something must be going on with the mirror," I answered, as I tried to rub the pressure away from my horn.

"Are you certain it's something to do with the mirror?"

"Yes, because the last time my horn acted up like this, it a dimensional rift was forming. Since Twilight is messing around with the mirror, that is the only prob—what the buck‽" I started to say before a tear in the sky appeared. As the both of us stared into the tear, I saw that it lead to another world, based on the fact that some creatures I never seen before were staring back through the tear at us.

"Madam... aren't we supposed to do something about that?" Silver tentatively asked.

"...I'm so going to get Twilight to drag Sunset back to our world, so I can tie them to a flagpole and tase them repeatedly," I just muttered back, as my face took on a scowl.

"Madam, did you hea—"

"Yes I heard! This is something that just doesn't normally happen with dimensional travel though, so this is out of my area of expertise! All we can do now is hope that either Twilight or one of the princesses figure out someway to fix this mess! Dear Luna, I hate those mirrors! They're nothing but a disaster waiting to happen!" I yelled, as I felt one of my eyes twitching in irritation.

"Are you certain madam? What if some of those... things come through the... portals?" Silver asked, as my troops started to gather around me.

"We either round them up if they present no hostile actions, or we get out the guns and start killing," I simply replied, causing Silver and any nearby recruits to widen their eyes a bit. Thankfully the training and knowing that something like this may happen prevented any of my troops from protesting what I declared, since it was part of the job anyway. "In fact, Dusty Skies, Dusk Cloud, round up some troops to get us our armaments. Might as well be ready for anything that might occur at this point." Giving me a salute, the two proceeded with my orders, taking about a third of my troops as everyone kept an eye on the sole tear in the sky.

"Madam, what if there are other portals appearing in other places of Equus?"

"Then let's just hope that nothing bad happens, or we may start losing people really fast depending on the nature of the species on the other si—wait... what?" I started to answer before the tear suddenly disappeared. "Well... that problem is solved... for now..."

"That's relaxing to kn—what are you doing madam?" Silver said, as he spotted me heading off.

"I'm going to Twilight to give her an earful for this mess. I’ve told that mare so many bucking times that mirror is only going to cause problems in the future, but instead she had to keep the thing around for the sake of 'friendship'. Hopefully she'll change her mind and also bring her friend Sunset back to Equus, or so help me, I will shove my hoof up where Celestia's sun won't shine!"

PreviousChapters Next