• Published 30th Jun 2015
  • 12,888 Views, 3,485 Comments

Astral Aegis - Silvak



Aether managed to help the princesses fix the dimensional barriers of Equus, but now she had taken the role of training a team of ponies devoted to dealing with any potential interdimensional threats that could come to Equus.

  • ...
69
 3,485
 12,888

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter XXXV: Biology

"...Did you just said your name is Windbag?"

"Yes... madam," answered Windbag, the loudmouth changeling, with a tone full of spite. It was early morning when I picked up the changelings, who were staying in the barracks with the volunteers and the recruits. Thankfully, the design of the barracks permits it to fit enough beds for all three groups, though it resulted in relatively cramped quarters for all of them. The news that the changelings would be bunking with everyone else caused the volunteers to freak out, until they learned of the current situation. Five of them did leave afterwards, which I was fine with; speciest prejudice would only cause problems.

So here we were, the other changelings waiting outside the room while Windbag, Twilight, and I were in my new office with some furnishings of some chairs and a desk. The only reason I chose to go with the loudmouth changeling was due to the fact that Twilight brought in a variety of equipment for tests, that she was currently using on the annoying fool. The loudmouth was the changeling that I'm most willing to traumatize or lose, even if I had to explain how it happened to Chrysalis.

"Okay... so are you a male or a female?" I asked, since like most insectoid species I encountered, I couldn't find anything that would suggest a gender differentiation, if one existed.

"I'm a male changeling," Windbag said before narrowing his eyes at Twilight when she brought over that weird head device of hers; the look did nothing to deter her from putting it on him. "Why is she doing this again?"

"Oh, she wants to learn all she can about your kind now that she has an opportunity to do so. And trust me, it's better just to let her have her way instead of resisting. Mind telling me how changelings feed exactly? No one told me yet, so I rather know now in case it's something that can turn ponies into zomponies."

"That's biased thinking madam."

"Not if you’ve seen half the things I’ve seen," I countered, causing Windbag's eyes to widen a bit. "You can daydream your worst nightmares later. Just tell me in detail about your feeding methods."

"Fine, normally we feed via a direct siphoning of a creature's love, which is usually drawn out from their mouth and into that of the changeling’s. This however leads to ponies being easily drained of their magic and stamina in cases when excessively siphoned, and the amount that can be safely siphoned varies significantly between ponies. We can also draw upon ambient positive emotions, though it takes much longer to meet our daily needs, and love tends to be the most potent positive emotion. However, it would only take a few hours in a friendly environment for a changeling to be fully fed for a day."

"Oh? Then why did your species invade cities when just hanging around would be sufficient by itself?" I asked, as I watched Twilight just muttering to herself while taking notes on some of the readings her machines were outputting.

"Well, it's a combina—" thump!

Twilight and Windbag jumped at the sudden noise, while I just looked to the source of it, which was a pegasus that somehow crashed into my window. One that I recognized as one of the volunteers.

"What the hay?" Twilight squawked out in utter surprise, as Windbag just stupidly blinked as the pegasus started to slide down the window, producing an annoying screeching noise.

"Looks like the Crusaders are doing a good job at testing the volunteers," I commented, causing the two to snap their heads toward my direction.

"Testing‽ How could a pegasus hitting the castle's window be testing‽" Windbag shrieked.

"Well, it shows the recruits just how... unusual my training is. Also, if they can't handle the pain and discomforts that the tests are putting them through, then they won't make it through my training. Now back to what you were saying in regards to invading cities," I said.

"But what abo—"

"Ignore how they're doing for now."

"Are we goi—"

"Yes, you changelings will face the same hardships."

"But that isn't fa—"

"Are you blind? When have I ever been nice to recruits? I already insulted one of my own volunteers, so get back to the explaining already," I ordered, causing Windbag to grumble to himself for a bit before he let out an exasperated sigh. He then looked at Twilight, who only shrugged; she long ago conceded defeat on the subject.

"As I was saying earlier, it was a combination of the the fact that our queen wanted us to remain at full strength, which normally means we need to have an excess of love and other positive emotions. She was also impatient at times during her early life, so instead of general gathering, she wanted invasions to gather as much love as fast as she could."

"So another short-term thinking ruler, at the beginning at least. Though if she doesn't betray us, that means she's thinking long-term now. So tell me about your species’ physical and magical capabilities, but don't bother with the transformation magic bit."

Tilting his head, Windbag asked, "You're not interested in our ability to disguise ourselves?"

Looking at me as well, Twilight said, "But Aether, their transformation magic could have so many uses! They could be used to interact with aliens without causing alarm at first so we can lea—"

"Or the aliens either have senses that can pick them out or the technology to detect the transformation magic in some fashion. Until we know whether or not the aliens at least don't have the technology to expose them, I rather not waste thought on a slim possibility until it is assured," I replied.

"Oh... I didn't think of that..." Twilight said, before resuming her observations.

"Now... back to those traits... unless you want me to find out via physical observations?" I asked, an evil grin on my face as Windbag gulped.


Ten changelings, with seven of them being trained as infiltrators while the three Chrysalis left me were soldiers. From the entire volunteer group, I was amazed that fifty six of them stayed after what the Crusaders put them through. Catapults, fireworks, some construction project that in the end toppled over and landed on a few poor prospects; were just the tip of the iceberg of the stuff the Crusaders had them do. Giving them the idea of getting a Cutie Mark as a drill instructor along with near limitless freedom on what they could order the volunteers to do resulted in some really good 'thinning the herd' tests. It’s a shame that they probably won't do it again after not getting their Cutie Marks. Still, even knowing that, it is nice to get my hooves on more recruits, especially with a few more crystal ponies joining, including a crystal pegasus.

With my newly enlarged force, I had to delegate some of the basic training instruction to the original recruits. I set them up in pairs overseeing a mixed group each when we're running our usual drills, though once I had to test my recruits or teach them more-advanced stuff, I'll be stuck with informing the whole lot of them personally. Hopefully this will help me figure out which ones would be good at leading groups, which ones where the glory seekers, and the ones that are just absolute idiots in regards to leading. I have my money on Stalwart being part of the last one, though I do need to get a few of them to be some kind of instructors. I have a feeling that this branch is just going to keep on growing that it might hit a thousand recruits before a full year has passed.

A couple weeks had passed since the inclusion of the changeling recruits, when I finally got the news of the princesses starting their changeling public-relations campaign to the general public, which also introduced the alliance that was made with them. It was met with mixed results: some towns and cities calmly accepted the declaration, while other ponies were protesting on the streets, with Canterlot being the worst. Thankfully, in Ponyville, Twilight and the elements were able to prevent any backlash when the remainder of the town learned I would be including changelings in my training,, though I'm certain that it still negatively affected more than few ponies’ opinions of me. Regardless, there were at least some places where changelings can be openly and safely gather positive emotion, without which this alliance would possibly fall apart.

With my military branch growing, Luna sent me a letter that it was about time that I decided on some kind of uniform for my troops. I objected on grounds that the researchers were still working on personal shielding and discovering new alloys based on the samples they have on hoof, there was no way I could have my recruits armored for combat anytime soon. Luna countered that I could have some kind of uniform just to distinguish my troops from the rest of Equestria's military forces, and that it was essential to have something available if needed. Begrudgingly, I handed over the uniform designing project to Rarity, though I told her no dresses or flair, the uniforms had to be designed for the best efficiency for what I hope would be a highly mobile force. She accepted of course, though she said she will still have the uniforms look fabulous in the end. I told her that I needed uniforms that wouldn't stick out from the landscape, since camouflage is one of the tactics that I have to teach them in the future, but Rarity insisted that she will still be able to make them look like the best uniforms in all of Equestria. The fashionista also proposed some designs for an officer's uniform that she wanted to create, which caused me to shiver at the implications of that.

Anyways, several days later after the conversation with Rarity, it was the seventeenth day after the changelings arrived as I watched the new recruits being taught how to hold and fire the guns. It was completely amusing to see all the recruits trying to hold up the guns, and hilarious when some of the older recruits have to stop the ones that held the guns backwards. Good thing they were still the stun variety, otherwise I would be freaking out too instead of laughing at the scene. However, my laughter came to an end when Dusty spotted a few changelings flying toward our group. After telling Dusk and Golden to take over the lesson, I trotted a bit away from the group with Silver at my side as the changelings landed in front of me.

The changelings landed in front of me, the lead one giving me a short bow before saying, "Dame Aether, we come bearing news from our Queen."

"Good news or bad news?" I asked, causing Silver to cock an eyebrow at me. "What? I hope for the best but expect the worst, you'll live longer that way."

"I can not say for certain, but our queen has sent us to inform you that we have captured your intended target."

"Then it is good news!" I said with a wicked smile on my face as I sat on my haunches, rubbing my two forehooves together with glee.

Silver however only looked at me with confusion as he asked, "Target, capture? What are you doing madam?"

"Oh, making sure that some much needed justice is served to someone that really deserves it. Nothing to worry about Silver, I'm not doing anything illegal," I answered before returning my attention to the changelings. "So... you are going to bring her to me?"

As Silver mouthed the word 'her' in more confusion, the changeling nodded as it said, "Yes, she will be brought here tomorrow, though I have to warn you that she is very dangerous. She injured five changelings before she was captured, and our Queen is willing to have four changelings guarding her until they're no longer needed."

My grin growing wider, I replied, "I'm starting to like your queen. Anyways, meet me at Twilight's castle just before sunrise. I have a 'special place' in mind for her during her 'stay' with us."

PreviousChapters Next