• Published 30th Jun 2015
  • 12,908 Views, 3,485 Comments

Astral Aegis - Silvak



Aether managed to help the princesses fix the dimensional barriers of Equus, but now she had taken the role of training a team of ponies devoted to dealing with any potential interdimensional threats that could come to Equus.

  • ...
69
 3,485
 12,908

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter XXV: Rant

Often times, some ponies have no regret when they do something that other ponies would considered foolish or insane. Currently, I'm one of those ponies with no regrets as I heard a collective gasp of shock from everypony around me as they all stared at me in unadulterated horror. However, to help my case, Celestia was the only one not giving me that look, but that was due to me electrocuting her with a taser. Her mane and tail to stood on their ends with little arcs of electricity jumping about, which reminded me a bit of Pinkie's fluffy mane. Celestia’s wide eyes stared simply at the tip of her muzzle, the rest of her face mirroring her surprise.

"Aether!" all the horrified mares cried in unison, including Fluttershy.

"What? Why are you all so shocked by this? It should have been obvious that I would have done something like this eventually," I muttered as I gave them all an angry look. "Besides, the princess deserved it anyway."

As predictable as always, Twilight was about to open her mouth, probably to scold me, before Celestia raised a hoof to silence everypony. Looking at me with stoic expression. "Aether, have you worked out the issues you have against me?"

"Not really, but I can say that my urge to hurt you has finally been satisfied," I said with a wave of my hoof, only for Twilight to glare at me before Celestia let out an amused laugh.

"It is good to hear that your aggression has finally been dealt with, my little pony," Celestia replied, as she used her magic to fix her mane. "Though, I am surprised and disappointed that you have kept a weapon on you."

"Hey, it's a... well it's not one of those dangerous weapons, it's actually one of the safer ones. At worst it would have left a pony twitching on the ground. Besides, it's better than having me smash things on a pony's head," I countered with a huff.

"How is shockin' a pony suppose to be safe?" Applejack asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Well, it doesn't do any lasting harm compared to other weapons. It's often used to capture any... alien alive, and is also used as a safe way to recover any pets owned by the rich aliens that gets loose from time to time."

"Regardless, it is still a weapon and I think you should turn it in over to me for safekeeping," Twilight said as she held out a hoof.

"...So I take it you want me to instead beat on ponies with whatever random object that is closest to them?"

"What? No, I didn't even said th—"

"Then let me keep... the electric thing. It's better than me breaking things on a pony's head, right?"

Twilight's left eye twitched a bit as Celestia spoke up to prevent an argument from occurring between us. "I think letting Aether have something like that device may be the wise choice to adhere to Twilight. As long are you actually use it with more control over your temper, Aether."

"Yeah yeah, that reminds me. Why did you have another Maralus core fixed without even letting me know‽" I yelled while pointing a hoof at Celestia.

Blinking in shock, Celestia said, "Didn't Twil—"

"That's besides the point! You just don't go messing around with interdimensional stuff like they're some kind of foal's toy! Even if you think Twilight would like to work with one and may help speed up your research projects, it's still a big risk! Which turned out to create a mess in the end when Rainbow, Twilight and I ended up in another world! We're just lucky that the only harm done was me being injured!"

Apparently, nopony wanted to agree with me as they just stared at me in silence, with the exceptions of Rainbow who's eyes were darting around while Celestia looked at me in shock before she took on a hardened expression. "Aether, I'm not some naive pony like you think of most ponies you have met. I have been ruling Equestria for over a thousand years, and while I admit that I made mistakes in the past, I know that I have to take risks in order to better protect Equestria from harm. Furthermore, I don't want you to be advising me on every interdimensional matter, I do have my own experiences in such circumstances as well."

After hearing Celestia's counter, I was a bit speechless at her sudden reprimand that she used against me. This gave the perfect opportunity for a pony to add to the argument, which Twilight took to her advantage as she said, "Princess Celestia is right Aether. If you think Equus could be invaded at any moment, naturally she would need to take steps to help better defend everypony. However... I think there is more to your anger than what happened."

Nodding, Celestia replied, "Indeed, for Twilight has brought to light something rather... horrible that may be influencing your temperament."

Giving Twilight the stink eye, I simply answered in a low tone, "Twilight... don't tell me that you told them the 'news', did you?"

Instead of Twilight answered, Celestia had chosen to press on. "Aether, this is something that you shouldn't just bottle up and try to forget about it. I know it's a horrible thing to hear, but you ha—" Celestia started to say before I finally had enough of hearing her prattle.

"I have to what, talk about my feelings? Hello! I'm an alien that has been through so many horrible experiences, there is nopony, or even an alien, that can help me through this! I am sick and tired of hearing all this talk about me needing to let my feelings out, to talk to a pony to feel better, to get help! How can you get help when you live a life where you to put your life on the line just to make enough money to eat? How can a pony relate to me about the fact that I had to bury my parents, alone? News flash Princess, there's nothing you or anypony can do to help me through this!

“Buck, I already have enough on my plate trying to train a squad of ponies to help protect Equus from an invasion from who knows what! There's dozens of interdimensional organizations that could threaten the world, and I have to figure out the best way to prepare a world that doesn't have a military force that can stop them! To make things worse, I have to deal with puberty on top of this! And don't anypony dare bring up the idea of going on a date with another pony! I am not in the mood for any of that romantic stuff!

Before anypony says a thing, yes I know I'm acting like a brat! And here's my answer, I don't care! I don't have the time to play nice with everypony, nor do I even have the patience for it! I got enough stress with all this stuff going on, enough paranoia from my past life, puberty that I have to go with, and dealing with ponies that think they know what is best for me! And to put the cherry on top, not only did I learned that my original species is gone, but I nearly died on same day I learned about it! Can you find me a pony that can relate to me on that? I don't think so! Instead, I have to make sure that the same thing doesn't happen to ponykind!" Pausing on my rant, I simply look at everypony in absolute fury, all of them wide-eyed at my outburst, unable to say a thing at the moment. This gave me enough time to catch my breath and calmed down a bit before I continued.

"I know... that I'm not a nice pony. I know that you think maybe by trying to help me, that maybe you could make me happier. But... it's not as simple as you think. I seen things that only maybe you might have seen Princess Celestia, and only because of your age. None of you can fully understand the... sadness my species and many others have experienced. It takes a toll on a pony like you can never believe. It's so great... that I literally seen aliens... simply going to a high spot somewhere and... just jump to their ends. Tarturus, even I was tempted to do that several times in my own life.

“So everypony, stop telling me to go to talk to somepony about this! I'm sick and tired of that, and... and everything! I... I just want a break from all this craziness! I... I just want to be able to live in peace again..." Finally, I finished my rant, panting a bit as I looked at everypony, only to be engulfed in a hug by somepony.

Turning my head, I saw that it was Pinkie who hugged me, rubbing a hoof against my back as she said, "Everything's okay now Aether, you're safe now." I was about to let out a retort when the rest of the Elements suddenly decided to give me a hug, which surprised me considering that I was yelling at them not but a moment ago. That's when my past fourteen years of bitterness and pain finally came up to me, as I started to cry a bit, until the dams let loose as I bawled into Pinkie's shoulder. I cried out all the pain I had accumulated over the years, the years of loneliness, years of enduring dangerous mission as I saw many others around me perishing in horrible ways. I cried out the stress of trying to keep on living, and I finally cried out the pain of the knowledge that my original species has gone extinct. I didn't know how long I cried, but I kept crying until I finally passed out.


Letting out a groan, I awoke to see that I was still in the hospital room. Turning my head to my right, I saw that Pinkie was sleeping on the bench, letting rather loud snores that somehow didn't wake me up earlier. I then turned to my left, I saw Princess Celestia standing still, watching over me. Letting out a sigh, I simply said, "You're still mad about my outburst earlier, right?"

Instead of saying something in anger, Celestia just took on an amused smile as she answered, "Now why would I be mad at you finally letting go of some of your pain."

Cocking an eyebrow in surprised, I replied, "Alright, I finally let some it out, but I still doubt that I'll be able to talk away the rest of it."

"It's still progress to say the least, though I hope you realized that you're not alone here. You have so many friends now that care about you."

"True... so what's going to happen now Princess?" I asked, shuffling a bit in my bed at the awkward memory of the Elements all hugging me.

"Hard to say, I know that your current role as a training instructor is causing you some stress, but I don't think you'll let any other pony take over your role."

Sighing, I averted my eyes as I said, "You're right there. I doubt that anypony will be able to come up with anything close to the experiences I had... and I'll regret doing what I can to save lives. I'm tired of seeing... well aliens dying from just being sent unprepared to another world, I don't want the same to happen to other ponies. It doesn't help that we may have even less time since there are at least a few interdimensional organizations that now know of our existence. Bright colorful ponies really attract attention."

"Are you certain about that? You did say that there are many species that are among... the poor classes like your former one. Couldn't they just assume that you were just another one of them?"

"Some might have, but remember that alien... machine that showed up when we returned from that world?" I asked, to which Celestia gave me a nod in response. "That machine belongs to a rather big and powerful organization. I hate to say it, but I don't think they're going to sweep the loss of that machine under the rug, particularly since that one is designed for a special role. We might be seeing them again the future, maybe even the near future."

PreviousChapters Next