• Published 16th Apr 2016
  • 801 Views, 41 Comments

A Rabbit Hearted Mare - MissytheAngle



Daisy and Lily go missing, and Roseluck goes to Derpy and her strange stallion friend for assistance in finding them.

  • ...
5
 41
 801

Chapter Seven: Run

Chapter Seven

Run

There was no sign of a clearing anywhere. Just as they had gotten lost in the forest together, she only made it worse, running off on her own. She knew this but kept going. There had to be an exit somewhere, right? She thought this, but as the thick of trees continued following her, her confidence in this faded.

She walked further and further, taking small turns. Her chest tightened as a light mist slipped across the ground. The fog weakened her vision, and she tried to see before her, perhaps a flower she had seen on the path on their way here or a clearing of sorts.

None came to her, and she looked over her shoulder every once in a while, as if feeling the Doctor’s gaze on her. Whether it was filled with disappointment or disgust at her abandoning him, it was only her guess. She wouldn’t blame him. I’d be no help, anyway. What can I do?

She wandered further until she looked above. The sky burned pink with wisps of orange. The sun was beginning to set. Roseluck wrapped her forelegs together as she sat down, panting to catch her breath. After running and hiding and crying, she felt tired. So tired. They’ll understand, right? I tried, but I can’t.

Roseluck kept searching for signs that she was near the edge of the forest, such as seeing the flowers she had seen on their journey here. But no red and white spotted flowers, and she could not find a group of drooping buttercups.

A roar screeched beside her, and she let out a scream before she could stop herself. Roseluck tried biting her lip to cut herself off, and her legs shivered underneath her. Shame washed over her, and she forced back more tears.

Who am I kidding?! I’m so stupid. Stupid stupid! What was I thinking? This isn’t me! Adventures and facing scary monsters! What am I doing here?!

Roseluck retreated into a high patch of grass that stretched over her head upon sitting down. It took only a second before she felt something crawl onto her leg. Whatever it was made a clicking noise, and when she looked down, a bug with large pincers greeted her. She shook it off with a shriek.

Curling herself into a protective form, she buried her face into her hooves. Her breathing calmed, but her brain kept racing.

Something crushed the ground underneath its feet, somewhere not too far away from her. Roseluck straightened herself and peeked through the grass.

“Doctor? Are you there? Listen, I’m just... ” Even though she had no way to tell it was him, the words spilled from her mouth anyway. When he didn’t respond, she stepped back. “Doctor?”

What if the pony they were searching for found her, or—

Her heart thudded when it came into view, only by silhouette. Even so, it was by no means pony sized. Stepping back, she pressed her body against the uneven bark of a tree.

A manticore stood before her, nostrils flaring. Its teeth shined as its lips curled back. When it hissed, her whole body froze. Roseluck’s hooves were planted on the ground. She wanted to move, she wanted to run, and she wanted to scream. But no. Staring at the giant animal growling before her made her thoughts shut down.

She. Couldn’t. Move.

“C’mon, now, run!”

She felt a hoof around one of hers, tugging her from her frozen stance. Without even knowing, her hooves followed where she was being dragged. It was enough to turn her gaze away from the growling manticore, waking her from the state of shock.

With a shake of the head, she turned to see the Doctor grasping her front hoof as he lead them away from the wild creature. Behind them, the manticore followed, and Roseluck struggled to ignore how close those paws were.

The Doctor and Roseluck ran, dodging trees and other passing animals, some docile and some hissing as they brushed past them. Yet the manticore continued tracking him. And eventually, thunder clapped, and with a glance above, they saw the skies become gray with clouds.

However long they ran, her legs soon began to tire all over again, aching with each step. Panting, she could feel her grip loosen against the Doctor’s. Drops fell from the sky. “Doctor, we can’t keep running!”

“I’m thinking, I’m thinking,” he muttered.

Behind her, the manticore growled. Her skin crawled. She wanted to keep her strength, but it was tiring. She looked around, but it was all the same; trees and small birds and animals hiding in bushes as the frightening monster chased the ponies.

Nowhere to run or hide. And the more they ran, the more lost they would get. And when the thin veil of fog spread into the air, walking forward became a blind task. Roseluck told herself to keep going, despite exhausted hooves.

She was about to make another turn, but the Doctor tugged at her hoof before she could. She was forced to the ground by the Doctor’s grasp, landing on the grass beside him. Adrenaline still rushing through her, she panted as they sat down in the grass. And with a glance around, she realized the Doctor found a tree, stripped of bark halfway down. It was big enough for them to hide inside.

“And safe! Hoohoo. Oh, I don’t often deal with these creatures. Not too knowledgeable on them, to be honest. So I just stuck with the old run and sneak tactic.” He flashed a grin at her. “Foolproof.”

Roseluck stared at him, expecting him to yell or cast a look of chagrin. Yet his smile looked as bright as ever, even with the wrinkles in his features. Staring at him now, though, looking like he wasn’t disappointed or upset, it only drove guilt further inside her.

Why am I here?

For your friends, you idiot. How could you forget that?

“I just hope it doesn’t come back,” she muttered. She leaned back and rested against the bark of the tree.

“Manticores often are not that violent. It’s likely in a bad mood. I’m not quite good with animals, sometimes.” He paced around the surprisingly large interior of the tree.

Roseluck chose to ignore him, instead focused on the rain outside mixed with a fog that gradually began to thicken. The Doctor peeked out, as well, squinting around the area. Though he took a few cautious steps back into the forest, he didn’t stay long. Within a few seconds, he came back with his mane already dripping with rainwater. “Well, it won’t do us any good to try and walk blind out there.”

As her mind calmed down, Roseluck said nothing. She looked at the grass, eyes turned away from the Doctor and afraid that one more look would at him would make her burst into tears.

Unable to catch her gaze, the Doctor continued, “Although, it would be a good idea to keep an eye out in case our little kidnapper comes by. We could give him--or she, we never really clarified either--a good ol’ scare. Mmh, best not to approach them until we find And you’re being exceptionally quiet,” he finished with a sideways glance and a small pout.

Roseluck looked up, but again said nothing.

“Not a word… Now, what’s the matter? A little rain and fog isn’t that bad.” He peeked out. “We’ll be out as soon as the storm calms.”

“I’m an awful friend,” she muttered under her hooves.

“What?” Doctor Hooves’s shock was crystal clear, and she gave him a weird look. Then he leaned down toward her and asked with genuine curiosity, “Now what makes you say that?”

She glared at him. “I ran off… like an idiot!” She kicked the dirt in front of her. “I didn’t want to, but I panicked! I’m just… I feel dumb for doing that.”

“Well, you were scared,” he answered as if it were obvious. He shrugged. “That happens.”

“I bet if that manticore wasn’t so mad, and we weren’t so lost, I’d be back in Ponyville by now.”

Doctor Hooves sat down beside her. “Then it looks like you’re stuck with me them!” he said and flashed a goofy, toothy grin. When she didn’t laugh or so much as smile, he added, “Miss Luck, there’s no need to be down on yourself like this. If you went home, no one would mind. I’d miss the company, and I’m sure you’d be great help, but I’d understand. I was worried that you got lost, so I followed you.”

“I-I know. And thank you.” How could she explain it? She jumped onto her hooves and did what he did before; paced around the room. It made it easier for her to share her thoughts. “I want… ugh, I want to do more, I really do.”

“Such as?” When she glanced at him with a bit of confusion, he added, “Just asking.”

“Like, well, I want to find who took my friends and give him a good kick. ‘Cause he at least deserves that. But…” She looked down and realized her hooves were shaking. “I don’t have that in me. I do want them safe, but I’m worried I can’t actually do anything about it. Like I can’t bring myself to do it.”

Doctor Hooves grinned. “It wouldn’t be… ‘proper’, no, but yeah, that’s a start.” He chuckled. “You’re already using your imagination so, I dunno, it’s a start. Maybe you could give him that good kick, and I’ll find the others while he’s distracted.”

Roseluck’s eyes widened, but she also had to bite back laughter. “Well, don’t leave me alone with him, please.”

“You can handle yourself,” he said with a knowing look, his tone brisk with confidence.

Roseluck shied away, rubbing the side of her head. “D’you think so? I’m, uh, I’m a bit of a mess. And… I haven’t been helpful, since my idea of looking out at night just made it worse.”

The Doctor rose his chin, looking at her without a word for a long moment. “You’re handling it pretty well, I say. And don’t worry about that mistake. Mistakes are a good way to learn. Such as this.” He waved the device that went boop. He shook his head. “Darn thing got us wandering around.”

“And they have Muffins ‘cause of me.”

The dark look in Doctor Hooves’s eyes returned, but it blinked away before she could properly respond. He sighed a long sigh. “Well, can’t be helped.” He forced a smile. “All we can do is find everyone and stop that pony from doing anything else.”

In the distance, something hissed in the midst of the rainfall. Roseluck bit her lip to stop her squealing as it drew closer. “What if something sees us?”

“Don’t be worried. A lot of the creatures here are harmless and just like looking for trouble. At least the side we’re on. The way toward the sister’s castle, is ah, well, let’s hope we don’t need to go there.” He laughed awkwardly, a hoof on his neck.

“Oh my Celestia,” Roseluck muttered, hooves buried in her face.

“No worries! Maybe the weather is calming down. Let me check.” He stood up and exited the tree.

Roseluck did not have to wait long, because seconds later, he returned inside. She let out a quick gasp. Drenched and dripping, head to hoof, he still wore a wild smile.

“Nope, not at all. And it’s cold, too! Ooh!” he said through his teeth. He shivered. “Great, wonderful, fantastic…” With a grumble, he sat back down. “Normally, a little cold wouldn’t be a bother, but it’s killer out there without a coat. An actual coat, not a fur one.”

“See? Weird weather!” She pointed as if needed. Her lips curved up.

Doctor Hooves chuckled. “I can see a smile on your face. Amused by this, aren’t you?”

“It was sorta funny,” she admitted with a blush.

He nodded his head. “I suppose it was. Now!” he said, raising his voice a touch. “We have some time to ourselves.” He sat himself down across from her. “Have any stories to tell?”

Roseluck recoiled. “Me? Not really. Why?”

“Well, we only just met, but I like to get to know the ponies who help me with these sort of situations. Plus, I simply just don’t know much about you.”

“I feel the same way, Doctor,” she answered, tapping her hooves together. She shook her head. “You like to tell me where you’ve been, what you’ve seen travelling all of Equestria, and they’re all great stories. I love hearing them, but I don’t know, there’s a lot to you I don’t understand.” Roseluck couldn’t meet his gaze, having admitted this much.

“I have my reasons,” was his response, curt.

“Well, so do I,” she answered with far less sharpness in her voice than his, all while meeting his gaze.

He considered this for a minute, opening his mouth to speak. Though he shut it, another moment later, he spoke up. “Alright, then. I can respect that. So how about this? One question each. But if it’s too big, we don’t have to answer it, so you can keep going until we both have a question answered.”

Roseluck stared at him. “... Okay.”

She hesitated and worried she would ask of something too personal, but on accident. Considering she knew next to nothing of him, this was not an impossible thought. As if she wanted him to become more upset, especially with her; all while they had to wait for this storm to end. However, her nosiness drove her to it, and one question stuck in her mind. At last, she spoke.

“Why do you call me Miss Luck? Everypony calls me Roseluck or just Rose. B-but not Luck. It’s a new one, which is okay, I suppose, but I-I’m confused. It was…” She groaned, covering her face with her hooves again. “Sorry, it—”

“Her name was Rose.”

She stopped and blinked. With a glance at him, his face showed a solemn countenance, and he did not look at her. He stared up, like he could stare at the stars, if the tree was not in their way. “Who?”

“My friend. The one I lost.”

“Oh… okay.” She paused, letting out a long breath. He looked so far away, and she wondered if he was thinking about this Rose. Where she was, what she was doing. Roseluck was, too, but only knew that Rose was not with the Doctor. And from how lost his eyes looked, it hurt. “I-I’m sorry.”

He didn’t answer.

“What, umm, what happened to her?” And she grit her teeth, wishing she would shut up just once.

He didn’t respond again, and she swallowed a lump in her throat. Too much, oh my Celestia! You’re ruining this “I-is she… is she dead?” You’re not good at this!

“No, no, she’s alive,” he responded immediately, but not in a defensive manner. “Very much alive.” His eyes grew, showing how tired he looked, how old he looked.

Then he blinked several times, and with a twirl around, he glanced at her, his eyes shining, crinkles showing on the sides of the eyes. “Now! My turn!”

It took her a moment to realize that that was that. Whatever happened to his Rose, she would not know, besides the obvious. She desired to know more, curiosity burning through her, but she kept her mouth shut for his sake. Noting how quick he jumped subjects, she did her best to give him a smile. “Great.” She rolled her eyes and took a peek outside while she waited.

“Let’s see—”

Roseluck’s eyes grew. “Doctor.”

“I won’t ask anything personal!” he replied with a small snap. “We barely know each other. I could just ask for your birthday, if you’re nervous about it. You could tell me your Zodiac, though frankly, I think those are a load of—”

“D-Doctor, please!” she pleaded under her breath and gestured through the entranceway. He followed where her hoof pointed.

Though the fog clouded their vision a great deal, they could still catch small silhouettes of animals flying or walking by, or the shadows of the trees. In their case, a silhouette of a pony rushed by them, a cloak billowing behind them.

“Could that be them?”

The Doctor smirked. “Couldn’t hurt to check. I still have my question, you know,” he said with a point. “Stay with me this time, alright?” He stared at her, waiting with a smile.

Roseluck nodded. “Promise, but… H-hey, wait!”

He was already running out. She had to hurry through the mist to follow his shadow.