• Published 20th Sep 2015
  • 1,504 Views, 27 Comments

This is War - The Avenger



Something is found in the Frozen North. And when it breaks free, everything will change.

  • ...
4
 27
 1,504

Chapter 0: Discovery (revised)

In the most northern parts of Equestria, very few (if any) ponies live. The air was bitterly cold, and snow covered the area in white sheets. In between many mountains, there were broad, low valleys to mark the places around them. Blizzards were common here, and as hard to believe as it sounds, but the one currently happening was only a small gust of wind compared to what they’re usually like.

More unbelievably, two Royal Guards, wearing protective clothing, were making their way through it. Right now they were about 15 miles northeast of the Crystal Empire, Equestria’s most northern city, and they didn’t like it at all. They had heard legends of dragons dwelling around these mountains but knew that it was a lie. Dragons thrived in warm areas, not where winter lasted every day of the year.

Nopony would dare venter into such a hostile environment, so why are they here? Turns out that, even though nopony lived here, they do occasionally come here to explore, maybe hope to find some long lost treasure or ship. And something like that happened a few days ago.

Several Royal Guards from the Crystal Empire were doing winter exercises out here when they spotted something. Soon, word spread about an object of interest in the Frozen North, and thus Princess Celestia sent her top two Guards from Canterlot; Captain Stonewall and First Lieutenant Sky Line.

The faint glow of the warm and safe city was in the distance behind them. It was so tempting to just turn around and head back, but they trekked on. Eventually, after what felt like hours of walking through the thick snow and freezing wind, they spot a faint light up ahead. It was a Guard from the Crystal Empire, evident by his crystalized purple armor. “Are you the Guards from Canterlot?” He asked once they were close enough.

“Do you get any other visitors this far north?” Asked Sky Line.

“How long have you been on site?” The Captain asked.

“Since last night. The scientists here think that the unknown is at least a thousand years old, maybe even older. And we found something else nearby, about 200 feet from the first.”

“So there’s two of these things?” Sky Line asked.

“Then how come nopony’s spotted them before?”

“It’s not that surprising,” said the Crystal Guard as they trot through the camp. “This landscape is changing all the time.”

“Everypony down south, especial Princess Twilight, and Princess Sunset were eager enough just to study the first one. How long until we can get both down there?”

“We’re not entirely sure, but our current estimates say about 6-7 months,” said the Crystal Guard. “As for the first one, it’ll take that long at least just to dig half of it out of the ice. And all of that is based on the assumption that we won’t run into any problems.”

“Can’t we just crane it out? Or, better yet, teleport them?” Stonewall asked, but much to his and Sky Line’s surprise, the Crystal Guard began to laugh. “What’s so funny?”

“Because to get just one of these things out, you’re either gonna need all five princesses and Discord, or one heck of a crane.” Right as the Crystal Guard said that, something big came into view. A few feet in front of them, there was what looked like the tip of a wing sticking out of the ice. On it was the scientist mentioned earlier.

Rays of luminance akin to a flashlight shot out from his horn as he looked over the object. The jaws of both Canterlot guards dropped. The scientist looked like an ant crawling around on a horseshoe compared to the wingtip. Behind the wingtip, flags were placed to outline the object. And there were many, all in a vaguely bird-shape. It had to be at least 100 feet long!

“Sweet Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Twilight, and Sunset!” Exclaimed Sky Line.

To their left, they can see some Unicorn guards melting away at the ice with fire magic. That must be where the smaller one was. Their task wasn’t to melt the ice away from the unknown but to weaken it just enough so they can drag it out. And considering just how big these things are, it looks like seven months will be necessary.