• Published 27th Jun 2015
  • 211 Views, 0 Comments

A Change in Pace - KeiSetsureki



A story about a Tennessee Walking Horse

  • ...
 0
 211

Chapter 1

'A Change of Pace' Chapter 1

It was a humid, cool night in Tennessee, US. Normal for those who lived there. One of the many residents who was still awake at this time was a beautiful Tennessee Walking horse, called High Step, whose black coat shimmered like a wild arabian mare.

​‘Why can’t I sleep?’​ High Step thought to herself ​‘I have a lot of work that master wishes me to do tomorrow and I need to sleep’​ She continued. Suddenly, just as High Step was about to list her chores for tomorrow, a circular myriad of colour appeared in front of her.

‘What the-’ she started but she blacked out.

***

When she awoke, she found herself in a-

“What the hell?!” High Step exclaimed.
-You think a pony would let you finish a goddamn sentence but okay. She found herself in a cartoon room. That sort-of looked like an oddly shaped house; the proportions were all wrong.

“Where am I?” High Step mumbled. “Wait! Did i just?” She continued. She then proceeded to scream at herself.

“How… How can I... Talk?” She stared at her hooves that she was removing from her mouth.

“Why are you so shocked, may I ask?” a mysterious pony said as they walked in through an empty doorway. “I hope you didn’t suffer a concussion” the pony continued. ​‘Is that something on her head?’​ High Step thought to herself.

“Oh, my apologies. I have not introduced myself. I am Sea Spell” the unicorn announced.

"What is that on your forehead?" High Step inquired, curiously.

"It's my horn silly, have you never seen a unicorn before?" Sea Spell replied, sarcasm evident in her voice.

"As a matter of fact, no. I have never even seen a unicorn before, let alone even been able to speak like this to one..." High Step admitted, shyly.

"Well I am glad that I am to be your first unicorn friend." Sea Spell smiled and draped her hoof on her new friend's shoulder.

As time went on, the ponies decided that it would be best for them both to go back to sleep as it had been the middle of the night when High Step awoke.

***

Sea Spell was the first to wake up in the morning, she decided to let the earth pony sleep

"I forgot to ask that pony her name. Oh well, I'll ask her when she wakes up."
Sea Spell then decided to make a nice breakfast for the earth pony, so at least then they can both have something to eat and a place to have their conversation. Just as Sea Spell had finished making breakfast, High Step came down the stairs.

"Good morning" Sea Spell chimed

"Morning Sea" High Step replied, not so happily. As she didn't sleep well in new places and this was all very new.

"I made breakfast" Sea Spell said, still a bit too optimistically for High Step.

"Thanks" High Step replied.

They both sat down and started small talk, Sea Spell seemed to ramble for a bit. About where she used to live with her family and how her and her sister moved to Ponyville.

"What about you?" Sea Spell said quickly

"Me, well I... Um..." High Step mumbled nonchalantly

"Shall we start with your name?" Sea Spell urged, encouragingly

"Oh, yes. My name is High Step." High Step replied '​At least I can answer that' ​She thought to herself.

"And I'm guessing you're not from around here" Sea Spell said and she gave High Step a knowing look.

"What, how did you know that?" High Step panicked.

"Easy, silly. You're not the first pony to come from the human world." Sea Spell replied, as if it only happened yesterday. "Also, next time" she whispered " try to make a less flashy entrance into my house"

"What do you mean flashy?" High Step inquired.

"Follow me" Sea Spell said with a hint of anguish in her tone.

They both soon got to a room upstairs. Sea Spell opened the door. All you could see was glitter, sequins of every colour covering the floor, ceiling, cupboards, everywhere.

"See? Flashy" Sea Spell said in a slight matter-of-fact tone.

"I am so sorry, please let me clean it up." High Step offered

"No need" Sea Spell replied as her white horn shone a bright aqua blue and, seemingly without effort on Sea Spells part, the room was spotless.

"What? How? Huh?" High Step was speechless. Sea Spell just pointed to her cutie mark. It was a blue aura around a black star. The aura was almost exactly the same as the Aqua aura Sea Spell produced only moments ago.

"My special talent is anything to do with magic, High Step. I've been learning from other ponies for years" She then looked downcast "but it seems as though I'll never be good enough to be taught by the royalty in Canterlot."

“I do not understand, what is magic?” asked High Step.

"Wow, you really are from the human world. Magic is a force that causes certain things to happen, those who are especially talented can learn all manner of things. Every unicorn has some form of magic, but that's usually to do with their destiny. My talent is magic in all forms, much like Princess Twilight Sparkle. Although, I'm no where near her level of skill."

"Wow, she must be amazing" High Step exclaimed. Sea Spell smiled.

"Maybe you'll get to meet her someday." Sea Spell said "She does live here in Ponyville after all".

“Twilight Sparkle is another Unicorn like yourself?” High Step asked.

“No, She is an Alicorn”, Sea Spell Replied.

“What is an Alicorn?” High Step asked.

“An Alicorn Has a horn like mine and wings, it is this that sets them apart from the others, you have to understand there are three classes of Ponies, the Earth Pony like yourself, the Pegasus, they can fly, and the Unicorn, like myself, the Alicorn is unique as they have the qualities of all three, which makes them special.” Sea Spell explained.

“So, the… what did you call it? the Cutie mark? Indicates a special talent like the way I canter when walking?” Asked High Step.

"Yeah, but..." Sea Spell paused "I can't see your cutie mark"

"So?" High Step queried

"You just scream 'other-world-pony' at the moment... Wait" Sea Spell magicked up a paint-brush and painted a bright white hoof. "There" she said, pleased at her work.

"What did you do that for?" High Step practically yelled, sad that her prized coat was ruined.

"It's to make you fit in, I want to take you to Princess Twilight Sparkle. Maybe she knows what to do" Sea Spell started walking "Come on then" she shouted, not looking back as High Step followed. She wore a sad expression.

"It's fine, it's just coloured coat-conditioner" Sea Spell said, seeing High Step's glum expression

“I will trust you in this then, Sea Spell.” High Step said, the gravity of the situation was expressed through the serious tone in her voice.

As both ponies walked through Ponyville, you could see the wonder and amazement on High Steps face. Whereas Sea Spell was focused on their destination; The Castle of Friendship.

"We're nearly there" Sea Spell said to no one in particular.

Sea Spell suddenly heard the muffled chuckles of ponies through the door of the castle as she and High Step approached it.

'Did I just hear my name?'​ Sea Spell thought to herself as they got to the door of the monumental Castle of Friendship.

"Really, I can't believe Sea Spell could do such a thing?" Sea Spell heard from inside the castle

'They're making fun of me, great. Even Twilight Sparkle thinks I'm ludicrous for thinking I have any talent in magic' ​Sea Spell thought, a frown appeared on her face.

“What’s wrong Sea Spell?” High Step asked, concern for her new friend was evident in her voice.

“Nothing, let’s knock” Sea Spell said, raising her hoof.

“Okay… if you say so.” High Step replied.
They both knocked at the same time and the chatter stopped. AppleJack answered the door.

“Are you here y’ung’uns lookin’ for Twiligh’ by any chance?”

“Yes we are, may we see her?” Sea Spell asked, desperately.

“Ah, sure sugarcube.” AppleJack replied with a concerned smile that was a bit too forced. “Righ’ this way sugarcube” she said gesturing towards the hallway.
The earth pony and the unicorn entered...