• Published 27th Jun 2015
  • 964 Views, 8 Comments

Silence - Sleepy Panda



Luna can't sleep.

  • ...
2
 8
 964

Stillness

Ever since her return from the moon, Luna hadn't been sleeping properly. How could she?

Going to sleep in her room was similar to being trapped on the moon. She was tired, she was alone, it was dark, and all was silent. Basically, it brought her a general sense of unease, and unease most certainly does not aid in falling asleep.

And the nightmares... oh, the nightmares! She'd had the same ones during her imprisonment. They hadn't left her, and she doubted they ever would. They were all the same. Celestia's pained look as she sent Luna to the moon, the screams of fury and hopelessness echoing through her head as Luna realized what had been done. Then, the cold and the dark.

Luna hadn't told Celestia about the extent to which her banishment affected her. She deserved the pain, she knew that - she tried to take the throne for herself and do as she pleased. The original intentions may have been pure, but they had corrupted into something darker than the blackest night.

And now, as she laid awake in her bed, she was paying for her past crimes with sleeplessness. She supposed she deserved it.

Luna sighed and turned over, fluffing her pillow before resting her head on it again. But it was still uncomfortable. She sat up and fluffed it again, then snuggled up in her blankets again. Nope, still unsatisfactory.

Frustrated, Luna grabbed the pillow and threw it across the room, lighting it on fire as she did so.

A sinking feeling settled in her gut as she realized which pillow she'd destroyed - the one with she and her sister's cutie marks stitched onto it. The one she'd had since she was a filly.

What was the point in trying? She'd never fall asleep in this state, being that she was even more agitated than usual.

Groaning, Luna rubbed her tired eyes and sat up in bed, taking a moment to stretch before hopping out onto the floor and making her way out to the balcony.

She opened the doors and winced, quickly covering her eyes with a hoof as the bright sunlight assaulted her eyes. She'd forgotten how bright the day was, as her bedroom was enchanted so that it was always dark and no light could shine in.

She walked back inside, shutting the doors behind her to block out the sun. For a minute she couldn't see anything, but her eyes quickly readjusted. This time, she made her way towards the door to the hallway, where the lighting was less blindingly bright.

Slowly, mechanically, she made her way through the halls, not particularly paying attention to where she was going. A few guards looked quizzically in her direction, but they stayed silent. There was no reason to talk; the princess did not appear to be in any danger.

Somehow, she found herself at the doors to the throne room, where her sister was holding court. A long line stretched before the doors. She turned around and started towards the back of the line, but a guard stopped her.

"Princess, there is no need. You may go in as you wish," he informed her, but Luna shook her head.

"No, it's okay. I'll wait." The ponies in line gave her odd looks and shifted uncomfortably in the presence of a princess, but they ignored her and refrained from bowing. Being the stuffy nobles that they were, they did not recognize her as a ruler and did not treat her as such.

She waited patiently for almost an hour, in which time the ponies became accustomed to her presence and began talking among themselves again.

Finally, she was the first in line. The guards opened the doors to let her in, and when they closed behind her, Luna abandoned her emotionless attitude and ran up to her sister.

"Luna?" Celestia asked, surprised. "What are you doing awake this late?"

"I can't sleep," Luna confessed, sitting down at the foot of Celestia's throne.

"Is something bothering you?"

"Yes."

Celestia paused, looking down sadly at her younger sister. She played with an idea in her mind, then came to a decision. "Day court is over," she announced to her guards. "Inform those in line."

"You don't have to do that," Luna said quickly, but Celestia shushed her.

"Come on, let's go to your room."

Luna nodded, then allowed Celestia to put a wing over her and guide her back to her bedroom.

"So, do you want to tell me what's bothering you?" Celestia asked gently, stroking Luna's mane as she lay in her lap.

Luna shook her head and said nothing.

"That's okay. We can just sit here like this if that's what you want."

Luna snuggled up closer to Celestia, which she took as a yes.

"Luna, I know you're not up to it tonight, but I want you to understand that I'll always be here for you. Anything you need, I'll provide it. If you want a shoulder to cry on, cry on mine. If you want to talk, my ears are all yours. I'd even extend the nighttime if you asked, just for you, because you're my sister and I love you more than anything else. I'd fight an entire war if it meant your happiness."

There was silence for a moment, then Luna whispered back, 'I love you too, sis."

Celestia stayed with Luna until she was sure she was asleep, then quietly slipped out of the room, being careful not to disturb the sleeping princess.

That day, for the first time in a long time, Luna slept peacefully.

The stars shone brightly that night.

Comments ( 8 )

Stop making me feel stuff! :raritydespair:

I wish I could give you an extra upvote for making this exactly 1000 words.

Very nice! Added to Sad Luna.

this is a very beautiful story and it is worthy of more praise than it gets.

I am very interested to see the rest of your stories as this one helped me out with a block on mine and that is always good (btw I don't mean this story gave me ideas, as in stealing your idea, but it relaxed my mind so I came up with ideas easier.)

short, nice, beautiful and soothing this story gets a 9/10 and is Derpy approved, the only thing keeping this from being 10 is that i felt unsatisfied with the ending otherwise it was great:twilightsmile:

Now this... this was beautiful. In such a short amount of time, you've managed to convey such a wide range of emotions. From Luna's frustration, so sadness, and then to peace. That is the mark of a great writer. Bravo!

Why haven't I read your stories sooner!? I feel like a complete fool!

Login or register to comment