• Published 29th Jun 2015
  • 10,199 Views, 166 Comments

The Phantom of Canterlot High - Lucky Seven



Danny Fenton finds himself at Canterlot High School after a mishap with the ghost portal.

  • ...
18
 166
 10,199

Immigrant Song (Battle of the Bands III)

Fleeing from the sirens had been easy, Danny had to admit. He probably could have defeated them right then and there, but he couldn’t risk the thermos being destroyed. Then again, it had proven to be pretty useless just then, unless…

‘Maybe they’re not ghosts?’

That would certainly help explain why it hadn’t even reacted to their presence, but then why did his ghost sense go off? Spying on them had left many questions unanswered, but he had an idea where he could get those answers. He just needed to be careful. If he let his identity slip, the sirens could easily use it against him.

The sound of the lunch bell ringing broke him out of his thoughts. ‘Guess I’ll have to talk to her after school.’

Quickly finding a place to change back to his human self, he hurried to his final class of the day. He had always hated history class. It was so pointless! Learning about things that happened hundreds of years ago definitely wasn’t his idea of interesting, and now he had to learn about things that happened hundreds of years ago in a world that wasn’t even his!

Letting out a sigh, he pushed open the door leading to his classroom and walked inside. “I presume you’re the new student Ms. Harshwinny informed me about?” The teacher guessed, and Danny nodded.

“Uh, yeah. Danny Fenton.”

“Well, Danny, you can have a seat in the back next to Fluttershy.” Looking back where she pointed, he noticed that the girl he’d be sitting next to had her head down, avoiding eye contact with him. “Don’t mind her, Mr. Fenton, she just dislikes attention.”

‘Well that explains her name,’ Danny joked to himself as he walked over and took his seat. Well in any event, it wasn’t like he would have to talk with her or anything. All he had to do was pretend to listen to what the teacher was saying.

“Alright class, today we’ll be working in pairs. Go ahead and move your desks together with the person seated next to you.”

Well that threw that thought out the window. Sensing that Fluttershy wasn’t going to make the first move anytime soon, Danny slowly slid his desk towards hers. “So, uh, I guess we’ll be working together?”

A simple ‘meep’ was the girl’s only response, and Danny slammed his head down to the desk. ‘This is going to suck...’

“I’m sorry.”

“Huh?” Actually hearing her voice threw him off a bit, and he raised his head up slightly to look at her.

“I’m just so…”

“Shy?” Danny ventured a guess, chuckling. Fluttershy giggled in response, a good sign. “It’s fine, I get it. Meeting new people can be pretty intimidating.”

“Well… Dashie actually told me about you already.”

“Oh, did she now? And what exactly did she say?” He grinned.

“She said you were ‘cool, but a big doofus too’.” The answer made him titter. That certainly sounded like something that, well, anyone who knew him would say. As he was about to respond, their conversation was cut off by the teacher clearing her throat. All eyes were on the front of the room, even Danny’s.

“Now that I have your attention, the focus of today’s lesson plan will be on the founding of Equestria. Does anyone here know why Equestria was founded?”

A few students raised their hands, and the teacher settled on one near the back. The girl looked fairly smart, but the way she answered threw off Danny. “Trixie thinks it was because of an agreement based on mutual help.”

“Did she just refer to herself in the third person?” Danny whispered to Fluttershy. Her only response was a giggle and a nod.

“Very good, Trixie. As everyone knows, Equestria was founded by three tribes. Alone, each tribe was only proficient at select things, hunting for the Eastern Tribe or farming for the Southern Tribe. Combined, however, the tribes were able to share their skill sets with one another and prosper.”

“Is it true that there’s never been a war in our history?” A voice on the other side of the class piped up. If that were true, Danny thought, then they were lucky. War was something no civilization should have to be put through.

“Don’t be silly, of course not. While we may have never been involved in any full-scale wars, we have had a couple…”

Deciding that this topic didn’t interest him, Danny tuned out the teacher’s voice. It sounded strange to say, but he kind of wished that something involving the sirens would happen soon. At least then he’d have something to do. Sadly, the rest of the class passed uneventfully. Aside from meeting another member of Dash’s band, it had been just as boring as his other classes.

‘Well, at least the day is finally over...’ He mused, walking towards the school’s exit.

That’s when a thought suddenly hit him like a bag of bricks. “Aw crap, where am I gonna stay tonight?”

“I can help with that.” Without even having to turn around, Danny knew who that was.

“How’s that, Dash? Gonna let me crash with you?”

“Not exactly,” she grinned. “I have a friend who’s been living by herself for the past few months. I’m sure she wouldn’t mind having someone to keep her company.”

“By herself? Is she rich or something?”

“Not…”

“‘Exactly’?” Danny guessed.

“Exactly,” Dash laughed. “Why didn’t you say you didn’t have a place to stay, though?” She inquired as the two shuffled outside. The light from the sun was almost blinding after having been inside all day, and the two shielded their eyes.

“I’m not going to be here long, so it’s not too big of a deal,” Danny shrugged, but Rainbow wasn’t buying it. Before she could ask any more questions, he asked one of his own. “Why are you so sure this girl will let me stay with her?”

“Well… she kind of doesn’t have any friends aside from my band.”

“Wow, that’s pretty sad.” And certainly not a feeling unknown to the teenager. He had been an outcast for most of his natural life, not to mention his ghost life. “What’s, uh, what’s wrong with her?” he asked her with some hesitation, hoping that didn’t come across as an insult.

“She was... pretty mean in the past, especially to us,” she replied bluntly, Danny’s jaw dropping as far as it could.

“And now you're friends with her?”

“It’s a long story, but that’s not what’s important. What’s important is making new friends, and that goes for both of you,” Dash finished off her sentence by poking him in the chest, and he winced a bit.

“Ow. Okay, I get your point. Where is this mystery girl, anyways?”

“She’ll be here any second, I always walk her home after school.”

“She lives near here?” That was lucky. It meant she didn’t have to take the bane of all human existence. ‘Public transportation…

“Yeah, just a couple blocks away. You should see her house, it’s huge!”

“It’s not that big,” replied a voice Danny hadn’t heard before. Turning his head back towards the entrance to the school, he laid his eyes on an unfamiliar girl. The girl, in response, pointed at him lazily. “Who’s this?”

“This is Danny, he’s the one I told you about in third period.”

A look of realization popped on to the girl’s face, and she smiled widely. “Oh! You’re Danny?”

“Uh, yeah. And you are…?”

“I’m Sunset Shimmer.”

Author's Note:

Hooray, not dead! I hope you guys enjoyed part three of 'Battle of the Bands', although it as rather short. I never actually responded to one of the comments I got, so I'll go ahead and do that now.

I feel as if many stories, potentially great ones even, are ruined by just this. It throws the pacing of the story off entirely, and it just doesn't feel right. It would be like Goku immediately going Super Saiyan just to show them. Unless there's a real need for your abilities, it's silly to reveal them to people you don't even know that well.

As for the second half of your comment, Wacky? It's not a question of whether or not the Dazzlings will want Ember around, it's a question of whether or not she'll want them around.