• Published 27th May 2012
  • 4,141 Views, 333 Comments

Collateral - Ogopogo



The search for changelings hiding in Equestria doesn't just affect the guilty.

  • ...
23
 333
 4,141

Chapter VIII - Exposure

Morning.

Now, that was a word I was unfamiliar with. Mind you, it was probably because I could be found rising from my bed anywhere from ten in the morning to two in the afternoon, depending on when I had fallen asleep. I was a deep sleeper, and my parents had berated me about it constantly while I grew up. At some point, I had hoped I would figure it all out, but I never did.

Instead, I was left struggling to discover about my race, with nothing save myself to go by. It didn’t take long to realize books had nothing to offer me, so imagine my joy when Mirra found me and took me on as her apprentice. Not only did I learn more my race, I also learned about my magic. To answer my earlier question, she had explained that changelings were neither nocturnal or diurnal. The creatures we could shift into could be either, so we couldn’t tie ourselves into their essence. Our bodies had evolved over the years, shedding the circadian rhythm in favour of simple ‘resting time’.

So when I express how much I enjoyed being woken up by the pounding of hooves, when the sun had scarcely peeked over the horizon, please understand how I felt.

Also, the bed was nothing less than heavenly. I think I have never slept so soundly.

The pounding started again.

“By the masters...” I growled, more to myself. “I’m coming!” I snapped, yelling to make my voice heard through the thick wood.

Grumbling all the while, I untangled myself from the nest of blankets on the bed, before searching for the floor and then stalking to the door. I opened it to find Luna waiting patiently, flanked by two guards.

“Good morning, Amethyst,” she commented cheerfully.

I stared tiredly at her for a few seconds, before swinging the door shut.

Again, the knocking sounded.

Let’s try this again.

“Go away,” I commanded, closing the door once more. Or, at least I tried to.

“Amethyst,” interjected Luna, forcing open the door much to my displeasure, “it is time to get up.”

“It better be something good,” I grumbled.

“Would it help if I said I brought you breakfast?” she asked, showing me the tray she cautiously balanced with her magic.

“Yes,” I muttered reluctantly. Without a constant source of emotion, my body was forced to produce its own magic to sustain itself, lending me a monstrous appetite. “But first, care to explain why guards barged into my room in the middle of the night?”

And that was the other cause of my foul mood. It must have been around three in the morning when eight guards had bucked in my door, scaring the ever-loving shit out of me. Tangled in my covers, I’d fallen off the bed.

I’d landed directly onto my back, the very same back where my torn wings were still healing. Holy cripes that had hurt. Do you know what the guards did then?

They just left. No explanation. No reason.

“A matter which I am not at the liberty to discuss.”

“Really, that’s it?” I asked, struggling to keep my voice level.

Luna’s glare told me enough. Whatever it was, they didn’t trust me with it and held my actions suspect. Would I really remain something to be feared for my entire stay in Canterlot?

Fine by me, if that meant justice.

“Better have brought something good, then,” I muttered, walking to the table already set up parallel to the edge of my room.

Behind Luna trundled a cart, similar to the one from last night. It was laden with silverware and other dishes common to a five star restaurant. At least she hadn’t disappointed in terms of food. The orange juice in the glass pitcher swayed along with the cart’s each and every jostle. On either side of the cart, identical covered trays stood, thin strands of vapour dancing above them in the air, twirling altogether into one. Her horn glowing brightly, Luna lifted the necessary instruments from the cart to the table, creating two matching, ordered sets of cutlery. She pointed to my seat with a gently raised hoof.

“I requested the chefs refrain from using grasses in your meal,” Luna explained, lifting the lid to reveal a wonderfully steaming omelette with a colourful mix of gently melted cheeses. Next to it, some toast had been cooked to a perfect, golden sheen. The slices were flanked by the eggs, offering contrast along with the cut strawberries and pineapple at the edge. Hers was similar, but flecks of green stood out against the yellow backdrop of her omelette.

As before, the food simply melted in my mouth. Nothing was overcooked or left underdone. Each succulent morsel dissolved into the purest essence of bliss. Even the fruit had somehow been grown to give the perfect flavor, with nothing lacking, and meshing perfectly with the other components.

Yet, despite the chefs’ culinary successes, our conversation remained stunted. Neither of us had any particular desire to speak with one another, or any questions that needed answering.

Actually, the second statement wasn’t true, but then again, this wasn’t the place for an interrogation.

We finished breakfast in silence, our eyes flicking up now and again, evaluating our opposite briefly, but both terrified at being caught staring.

Like schoolchildren looking at their crushes, a memory reminded. I crushed that thought ruthlessly, remembering how Glimmer had broken my heart so cruelly.

“So, do we bring the dishes back?” I asked, prodding my empty plate with a hoof.

“No,” she answered, dabbing her mouth with the napkin. “One of the castle staff will return the cart when they complete their rounds.”

“Come,” she said, rising. “Corporal Starlight and Sergeant Ocean Wind await your arrival.”

Hurriedly, I trotted to catch up to Luna. Casting a glance over my shoulder, I took another look at the mess we had left behind. There was no reason why we were incapable of looking after ourselves, save for privilege.

The food had been good, though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Although you may have requested them as your escorts, you will allow Starlight and Ocean time, to perform any tasks they are obligated to complete as Royal Guards,” Luna informed me as she led me deeper into the bowels of the castle.

“I hope this doesn’t include guard duty.”

Luna chuckled. “No, it most certainly does not. They have been excluded from the majority of their duties, but still have to complete the ones that remain, such as their daily drills. Those should not be a problem.”

I shrugged. Either way, I didn’t have much of a choice. If I refused to play by their rules, then other guards would pick up the slack. If I tried to go off on my own, Celestia would stand me before a jury before the day was out.

Luna paused in front a set of discrete doors, lacking the flair of the many others in the castle. By no means were they smaller or less majestic – far from it, in fact – but rather, the tall double doors lacked the elegant golden carvings like the ones to my own room. Luna stopped in front of the door, barring my path with her wing when I went to push through.

“Is there anything you wish to ask me? There will not be another chance for some time, as I have to attend to our duties.”

“My,” I instinctively corrected.

“No, our,” Luna insisted. “My sister needs her rest, and I refuse to let her be burdened by petty trifles of parliament. I will be taking on her duties for a few days while she recovers.”

A question sprang unbidden into my mind. It was only when I realized what it was that I understood my mistake. Boulder and Flare had accompanied me, had helped explain why I had entered the city under disguise, and finally, why I had even shown up. When I had attacked Celestia, I had done so without thought of them. They could be held as my accomplices – tried, and then found guilty. Within days, they could face life imprisonment – and all because they had decided to help me out of the kindness of their hearts.

“What happened to Boulder and Flare?” I demanded, unable to keep the urgency from my voice.

“Rest easy, your friends are safe,” Luna informed me. “We only held them to ensure they were not changelings themselves, and to verify their story. Once we were sure of the truth, they were freed.”

Either way, I owed them an apology. Under the best of circumstances, they were likely to be distrusting of me, and the term ‘friend’ would not apply to me anymore.

“Can I go later today to apologize to them?”

“So long as you refrain from taking a disguise, and are escorted there and back, it would be acceptable. Understand, though, that you are to be back in your room by midnight, or we shall dispatch guards.”

“Thank you,” I said, dipping my head. “Now, what do we do?”

Luna withdrew her wing, giving the door a nudge with her hind leg before turning. She led me inside, instantly drawing the attention of the nearby guards. A few of the ponies standing around were not wearing armour, and oddly enough, their coats and manes were not the usual whites, blues or grey that were on the posters plastered in the streets. It took me a few moments to realize that these ponies were also part of the guard, only without their armour. There must have been some sort of enchantment that altered their appearance.

How would it work if I put the golden plates on?

“Corporal Starlight?” Luna asked the assembled ponies.

“Here, Princess,” the Lunar Guard said, pushing through the forming crowd.

“Sergeant Ocean Wind?”

“Um...” Starlight stammered, craning her neck left and right.

“He’s just leading a few drills, Your Majesty” a pony said. “He should be in the dojo.”

“Thank you,” Luna said. “Please return to your duties. Corporal, please accompany us.”

The ponies dispersed, and we were free to move once more. As we headed to the rear of the room, towards another set of doors, I felt the eyes of the room upon me. The air reeked of their hate and distrust, accompanying the glares I received. I refused to acknowledge that them, to let myself shirk into the shadows. There was nothing wrong with who I was, and I stood behind what I had done. I had spent enough time in the dungeons kicking myself over my mistakes.

The sound of wood striking wood grew louder as we neared the second set of doors. I was struggling to figure out what the noise could be, when the doors opened, revealing two pegasi sparring at the center. They swung wooden staves at one another, trying to topple each other. Both were drenched in sweat; beads of it dripping from the pads they wore. At our entrance, the beige pegasus looked over, eyes widening as he saw Luna.

“Princess–” he started, only to have his words knocked away when his opponent’s staff struck his helmet.

“Don’t let yourself get distracted, Private,” the Prussian-blue pegasus said, evenly. “You have to stay focused. Were done for today, so go clean up.”

“Yes sir,” he mumbled, heading for the door.

“What do you need, Princess?” the pegasus asked, taking off his helmet and running a hoof through his sweaty, off-white mane.

“Sergeant, we are here to deposit Amethyst into your watch. I have duties to attend to and I cannot linger. Amethyst has our permission to go into the city with the goal of apologizing to his friends. However, he is not to deviate from this route. Should he attempt to, you may bring him back to the castle.”

“Anything else, Princess?” he asked, dumping a bottle of water over his head and then reaching for a towel.

“Yes,” she said. “He is not permitted to use magic. Simple telekinesis perhaps, but no disguises.”

“I’m still not sure that is a good idea,” I objected. “I don’t think ponies will enjoy seeing a changeling walking around.”

“True,” Luna said, a smug smile beginning to form on her lips, “but my decision still stands. Until we understand your magic, you will not use it. Sergeant Ocean and Corporal Starlight are as much for your protection, as for the city’s, and their presence will calm the populace. Now, if you will excuse us–”

“Me,” I mumbled.

Luna just ignored my interruption. “–other matters require our attention.”

She blinked out of the room, teleporting away before I could voice another concern. I sighed, the protest dying away, half-formed. Starlight and Ocean Wind looked at me expectantly, the latter fiddling with the buckles on his helmet, causing blue plume to flutter back and forth. Intriguingly, it was his armor that changed his coat to white and his mane to royal blue, but it was the helmet that altered the colour of his eyes.

“Ready to go?” I asked them.

“We’re not going anywhere until you answer some questions,” Ocean stated coldly.

“Fine. Go,” I snapped.

“Why did you attack Princess Celestia?”

Masters... It really was coming to this, wasn’t it?

“I attacked her because I lost my temper.” I held up the locket for them to see. “She took this from me – the last memento of my family.”

“So it’s true,” Starlight muttered, leaning forward to peer at the scorched metal. “You were really raised by ponies.”

“Yes, and how kind of you to remind me of them,” I seethed, speaking between gritted teeth.

“Sorry,” Starlight blurted, shirking away, “it’s just–”

“Luna told us you selected us for this role,” Ocean Wind interrupted. “What made us stand out?”

“Honestly, I would have rather not selected you,” I told him flatly. I really didn’t care how this came across to him at that moment. “Starlight, yes, but you were my second choice. I would have much rather had Gallant Warning instead of you. At least they are a little open to my side of the story. You? I only asked for you because you have a level head, and your current... ‘status’ with her.”

I tossed my head at the mare at the end of that sentence.

Both fought to hide the tinge of red. “W-What are you talking about?” Ocean stammered, suddenly scanning the room to check we were alone.

“Please,” I deadpanned. “You two are obviously attracted to each other, judging by the way you react when I suggested it. Plus, I’m a changeling.”

“What does that have to do with it?” Starlight asked.

I sighed, rolling my eyes. “Changelings can sense emotions. Sure, often it’s only a loose representation, but not this time. You're screaming it to the world – to our world. You two are more infatuated with each other than a pair of newlyweds, which suggests to me that you two have never even gone on a date together.”

Neither could deny it over their choked words and burning faces.

“Ding, ding, ding; we have a winner!” I said tiredly. Just as I had hoped, I had managed to shift the topic away from myself. I really didn’t feel like playing Twenty Questions with topics so dear to my heart.

“So are you going to stand there like an idiot, or ask her out?” I asked Ocean Wind.

I suppose you could say that it was a little presumptuous of me to so flagrantly accuse them of their love for one another. But patching together relationships just came with my instincts, I suppose. A changeling never really had much need for a second date when you could understand if they returned your feelings. Well, that wasn’t quite true. Anyway, let’s just say I had never been lucky finding someone, but the trial and error (entirely error) had had at least some benefit.

Either way, Ocean’s response wasn’t coming anytime soon. That much was obvious to me, so I decided to take matters into my own hooves. “Starlight,” I asked her, “would you like to go out with Ocean Wind on a date, on say... Tuesday evening?”

It was all she could do to mumble a barely audible response. “Yes.”

I snorted. “Great! Now, that wasn’t that hard, was it? Let’s move it then.”

Ocean shook his head, breaking the love-induced stupor. “You still haven’t answered my question. Why us?”

Looked like I wasn’t getting away from it.

“Look, I...” I sighed. “Just drop it, OK?”

“Alright,” Starlight said softly, cutting off Ocean. “Let’s go.”

And that was why I chose her. She understood.

Starlight pushed open the doors, stopping at the sight of every eye in the room shifting to us, or more specifically, me. Some were curious, others hateful, but common amongst all was the cold and distant anger.

This was going to be a fun day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Please let me put on a disguise,” I begged, as the gates to the castle swung open.

Merely leaving the barracks had been a harrowing experience. More than once, a pony walked by, intentionally ramming their shoulder into me and then pretending it was an accident. My escorts turned a blind eye to their actions, not even voicing warnings as I was battered around.

I didn’t even want to think about what the ponies outside would do.

“Luna’s order still stands,” Ocean Wind replied.

“I know, but–”

“That is final. If you want to leave the castle, you will have to accept the risk.”

For a brief moment I contemplated changing my mind and staying in the castle. But that wouldn’t be right of me. I had already put my friends (if they would still call me that) at risk, having placed my own desires above their safety with reckless abandon. I owed them at least an explanation, and perhaps some groveling and begging for forgiveness.

“Let’s go, then,” I said, gritting my teeth and taking a step into the light.

A few clouds hung in the sky here and there, some moving freely of their own accord, while others were propelled by pegasi in the midst of clearing the sky for another brilliant summer’s day. Taking a deep breath, I smiled at the aroma of fresh air and the small freedom I had been granted.

The castle may have had a venerable horde of servants, but there was only so much you could do to a thousand year old monolith. Dust was bound to accumulate in a building that size, regardless of how much you cleaned.

As we neared the city, Ocean Wind and Starlight shuffled closer to me, their eyes shifting constantly.

For a moment I went unnoticed.

A shriek changed that.

Almost immediately the crowds parted like the wings of a butterfly, falling silent. I continued to walk forward, paying them no heed. I wouldn’t let them have the satisfaction of seeing me quake, yet their fearful gazes hurt me more than I could have imagined. In their eyes I was beyond redemption; a monster. The zone of seclusion remained as I continued to stride forward, ponies shying away as if I bore a plague.

Two pegasi suddenly swooped down, landing before us, intent on stopping them. Both of them stood arrogantly with assumed superiority. Neither of the stallions so much as flinched at the sight of me, as they lowered their heads aggressively. If they were looking for a fight, they were certainly conditioned to provide one.

“Where do you think you’re going?” one of them sneered.

“Out of the way,” Ocean Wind commanded, stepping forward as Starlight and I stopped.

“Not until you tell us where you’re taking that thing, and why you’re headed away from the castle.”

“We have no obligation to tell us where we are headed,” Ocean replied coldly. “If you continue to obstruct our orders, I will arrest you and have you both tried.”

“You wouldn’t,” growled the blond pegasus.

The solar guard did not bother to respond. He simply moved forwards until he, and the intruding pegasus, were looking eye to eye. A few moments passed before the stallion backed down. Ocean Wind’s famed iron gaze had won.

“Our orders are to protect and escort Amethyst. They come directly from the princesses.”

“Protect!?” the pegasus shouted, his eyes narrowing “You mean–”

“This is the last time I will warn you,” Ocean interrupted. “Move.”

They complied, snorting as they did so. As they stepped to the side to let us pass, I could smell the waves of anger and hate rolling off their frames, as they fought back the urge to charge. There was also something else...

Satisfaction?

I jerked back as a tomato flew in front of my nose, breaking my concentration. The flash of red was accompanied by a abusive shout.

Instantly, other ponies took it as a signal.

Soon, the air was thick with projectiles, ranging from fruit to stones. My chitin kept me safe, but I was forced to shut my lenses for fear of something getting in my eye.

All changelings have a second set of ‘eyelids’ that we refer to as lenses. These lenses are translucent, tinted with colour depending on which hive we were from. For me, with my mane and tail the colour that they were, it should be obvious that my lenses were purple. Anyway, beyond mere protection, they also had intriguing arcane properties. I couldn’t, and still can’t think of anyway to describe it, but it effectively points out magic, letting us marginally see through enchantments and changeling disguises. Basically we look at something and...

Gah. I’ve never been good at explaining things. Think of someone holding a magnifying glass up to a forgery. All it does is make differences and mistakes easier to see. If you are not looking for them in the first place, the lenses will not help.

Even though they did all that, they did nothing to stop the half rotten mango from obscuring my vision.

“The hell?” I sputtered, spitting as a wet tendril of juice dripped into my mouth.

After wiping off my face, I sped up, taking a moment to glance at Ocean Wind and Starlight.

Starlight was faring better, using her magic to fend off her attackers. Here and there, however, the odd stain coloured her armour and coat. Ocean Wind, on the other hoof, looked terrible. He bore the brunt of their projectiles, with only his wings and armour to protect himself. I could already make out one particularly painful looking bruise forming on his neck.

When Lemon Marmalade’s inn finally came into view, I broke from my urgent trot into a gallop. Not so fast as to appear like I was trying to lose Ocean Wind and Starlight, but enough to get out of the shower of projectiles. Five strides away from the door, I tore it open, stumbling on the threshold, nearly crashing into a table. Starlight was the last one through, slamming the door shut in time to halt a sudden barrage of projectiles. She flicked the lock shut and held the door, until the repeated thumping stopped.

Picking myself up from the floor, I looked up, barely registering the look of anger on Marmalade’s face. A second later, she whacked me over the head with a frying pan.

“What–” I managed to get out, one second before she hit me again.

“What the hell!?” I whined, holding my head in my hooves.

“Don’t tell me you didn’t deserve that!” she spat in reply.

My retort died upon my lips when I realized that she was correct. It was, in fact, the reason I had come here.

“Marmalade!” Boulder shouted, his muffled voice coming from the stairs.

I braced myself.

“What is–” He froze on the steps, looking at me.

“Hi,” I offered meekly.