• Published 27th May 2012
  • 4,143 Views, 333 Comments

Collateral - Ogopogo



The search for changelings hiding in Equestria doesn't just affect the guilty.

  • ...
23
 333
 4,143

Chapter XIX - Reveal

The queen’s head snapped around as the word hung in the air. The guards, too shocked to say anything, didn’t stop Cytri as she ran into her mother’s open forelegs, leaving behind a trail of tears.

Her mother.

I didn’t know what had shocked me more. The fact that Cytri had just spoken Equestrian openly, the fact that her mother was the one who led the invasion, the fact that that made her a princess, the fact that she’d lied to me...

I shook my head. Alright, so where does that leave me now? Ah. I had lied both knowingly and unknowingly to both Luna and Celestia, something they had just started to realise. Luna fixed me with a glare that promised a fiery home in Tartarus if I didn’t come clean in the coming minutes. She shifted her gaze back to Cytri and her mother, the same anger present, but coupled with a smudge of curiosity.

Cytri’s body shook as she cried in to her mother’s chest, enveloped in her mother’s forelegs despite the chains. “Mom...” I heard her sob.

“Shush, everything will be alright,” she replied. Her voice had not been what I had been expecting. I had thought it would be a harsh tone without a hint of warmth, but instead it was the tone of a mother comforting a child.

“That’s enough,” Celestia stated.

The pair didn’t even seem to hear her; oblivious to the world around them.

The room fell into an awkward silence of sorts, the situation warranting two different courses of action. A mother and a daughter reuniting was not something of foul intentions, quite the opposite actually. But should such a moment be denied just because what the mother has done? Cytri had lied, yes, but I could see now that it was not without good reason. I can’t imagine what would have happened to her if either Celestia or Luna found out she was this changeling’s daughter. About all I could do was keep my mouth shut and shuffle my hooves uncomfortably.

One of the guards eventually decided that enough time had passed, and stepped forward to seperate them. His hoof hadn’t even touched the ground when a knife lanced into the floor in front of him. Looking to back to the source, Tirith lowered his foreleg. His body was tensed and he sank into a ready stance.

“Nopony shall lay a hoof on my Queen or her daughter while I live.”

Thankfully, the queen didn’t want to try and prompt a confrontation. She released Cytri, pushing gently on her shoulders. “Cytri, please go stand by Tirith.” With a reluctant nod, her daughter complied. The queen’s eyes paused on me for all of a moment, considering my presence, before returning to the Princesses.

“Very well, ask your questions.”

With her sister still very much shocked, Luna took the prompt.

“What is your name?”

She held her head high, proudly. “I am Queen Chrysalis of the hive Iptoa,” she declared. I finally recognized the name of their hive for what it was.

“You are the same changeling who led the attack on Canterlot.”

Chrysalis’ eyes glinted. “I am.”

“Do you have anything to say to defend yourself?’

Chrysalis stared at Luna for a moment in disbelief. “Is that what you’re hoping for?”

Celestia narrowed her eyes (well eye), “And what do you mean by that.”

“You’re hoping I had some reason, something justifiable so you could sweep this whole matter under the rug. You hope that I did what I did, not out of choice but of necessity which you could excuse my actions on.”

“And is there?”

Chrysalis’s eyes shone dangerously. “It all depends on your matter of looking of it.”

“Then explain to us how you see it.”

“No.”

“You do not seem to understand the situation,” Luna said. “You will tell us one way or another.”

“I am not permitted.”

“Permitted? Who said anything about being permitted. You are being ordered, as your crimes against Canterlot warrant. You will explain yourself and offer an explanation as to your actions or you will be detained until you do.”

The air was tense, and I could feel Celestia’s anger. Oddly enough, I’m not sure how I felt about Chrysalis now. I had hastened to draw a conclusion as to her character, but what I was seeing was entirely different. Well, ok, she still had the ice cold bitch part down. She was just as sane as anyone else in the room, and weirdly, she felt...

Pity?

Chrysalis glanced at her daughter. “I had my reasons. We needed the power we took.”

The room fell silent.

“You could have asked for our aid if you truly needed it,” Celestia said. “We would have been happy to assist you.”

Chrysalis shook her head. “Even if we were able to, you overestimate what you are capable of.”

“So, too proud to bow your head, you set to invade us.”

“I–” Chrysalis bit back the retort, but still glared at the alicorn. “Let me ask you this, ‘Princess’. How many of your precious little ponies were killed in the invasion?”

“Thanks to the miraculous efforts of the Guard, none.”

“You mean those prissy ponies who like to think themselves strong and capable?” Chrysalis sneered. The guards around her brandished their spears threateningly. “I gave the order for no one to be killed. Nothing of your duty prevented those deaths from occurring. Why would we ever kill you when your love is the very thing we need? What more, you have the gall to assume this is a matter of pride.”

Celestia stood up and descended from her throne. “A ruler must be prepared to give up her rule if it is best for her people.”

“You would dare...” Chrysalis snarled.

“Be quiet.” Something in her tone gave her away.

Luna’s eyes widened. “Sister,” she interjected, voice tight. Celestia ignored her.

The Sun Princess crossed the distance till she was only a step away. “I see a ruler who places herself first, and refuses to do what is best for her subjects out of pride. You intended to be a conqueror for a reason that is hardly justification, and you even fail of that. You are a threat to Equestria and a tyrant.”

“If I am, then I am no worse than you: an egotistical bitch who always expects to get her way who is ignorant to the lives of others. One who can’t even protect her subjects.”

You could feel the tension between the two building like a tightening violin string. What had started as a strenuous diplomatic conversation began to take a turn towards less-than-thinly veiled insults and threats. Well, to be fair Celestia at least trying to be somewhat polite. I’m pretty “egotistical bitch” gives a pretty clear impression as to Chrysalis’s stance.

Suddenly, Private Cake left my side and approached the two. When he reached the circle of guards surrounding the two rulers. he brushed past, earning several confused and nervous glances.

“Excuse me.” His voice was level and calm.

I’m pretty that that is the first time I’ve heard him speak. It seemed that way for a few of the guards as well, judging by their hissed whispers. But then again, to try and step between two of the most powerful beings in Equestria so casually...

Neither the princess or the queen paid him any heed. A green glow lit around Chrysalis’s horn, but after the second of shock, Celestia matched it with her own golden glow. Spears were quickly levelled at Chrysalis.

Private Cake seemed unconcerned by this and stepped forward. Something in the air tingled, something familiar. Pale yellow fire curled around his body to reveal the dark chitin of a changeling. Her light daffodil mane and tail were cropped short. Not even the guards had time to react before she threaded the two rulers’ horns through the holes in her forelegs, and then snapped her legs shut. Both Chrysalis and Celestia had time for a single panicked gasp before she slammed their heads together.

Mirra?

I hadn’t seen her in years, and this was how I met her again? She just announced herself by bashing the heads of two of the most powerful individuals I’d ever met together? The guards suddenly found their attention divided. They milled for a moment, before a small group broke off and tried to surround her. Mirra lit her horn and simply threw them out of the way. She was about the height of Luna, maybe a bit shorter

“Smarten up you idiots!” she shouted over her shoulder. Yup, it was definitely Mirra. There was no mistaking that crystalline voice, a complete contradiction to her gruff manner.

“Um, hi teacher. Wh–”

Mirra’s hoof plowed into my muzzle with the force of a runaway cart. My head snapped back, and I cried out in pain. As I struggled to stay upright, Mirra hit me again, punching me square in the chest. She threw a right hoof, smashing across my cheek, and kicked out a leg, nailing my shin. She poised her hoof to smash the top of my head into the ground, but stopped, enveloping me in a hug instead.

I sniffled, powerless to stop the trickle of blood from my nose. “Wha–”

“You, Amethyst, are a self-centered, egotistical, hairbrained idiot,” she murmured in my ear. “I have never had any of my students give me so much trouble as you, but I know I can’t hold life’s mysteries against you.”

I blinked. Everywhere she had hit me ached horribly. “Teacher?”

“I’ve been to your house, Amethyst. I know what happened to your parents. It’s going to be alright now.”

My teacher might have been many things, occasionally cruel and harsh while offering little praise or reward, but she was still my teacher. No, she was more than that. In many ways she had helped raise me almost as much as my parents. She would be the one out with me in the rain as I struggled to learn a spell. She would be the one shouting at me to get back up once I had fallen. When I heard her say everything was going to be alright, it was like a weight had lifted from my shoulders.
I returned her embrace for a few moments, nestling beneath her chin.

“I believe some introductions are in order,” Luna sighed from her throne. From her devil-may-care tone, I think she had resigned herself to damage control. “I don’t seem to recall Private Cake being a changeling.”

“He isn’t,” Mirra replied. “Broom closet, seventh floor. Locked him in there with a muffling spell placed on the door.”

“So who are you?”

One of the guards surrounding Chrysalis dropped his spear and took a step back. Blue flames swirled about him, revealing his true nature. It was the same changeling that had taken the scientists. “She is Master Illusionist Mirra Tirne of the hive Pictqe, and I am Grand Illusionist Mritc of the hive Nitxi.”

“You,” Luna hissed. Her mane froze, hanging in the air like the building clouds of a storm.“What have you done to them? Where are they?”

He just ignored her.

“I asked you–”

“I do not have to answer to you, pony.” he spat the last word.

“Their safety is my concern.”

He looked at her coldly. “The four scientists you so seek to protect have been tried and found guilty of desecration of a corpse. They will serve out their sentences in our hives.”

“What is their sentence?”

“They will spend the remainder of their lives as indebted servants.” Wasn’t that just a little extreme?

Several sharp intakes of air were heard. Luna snarled. “You dare level such an unfitting punishment, making slaves of them for–”

“You are ponies.”

Luna’s face went blank for a moment as she grasped at what he had just said. I understood it perfectly now. He treated ponies as though they were mere animals. He thought they were nothing more than livestock to be fed upon. To be fair, I could see how that thought could be formed. After all, changelings did “prey” upon other races for the energy brought by emotion. Their attitude towards non-changelings was still utterly revolting, especially considering what that would make my parents. Mirra thought so to. I could tell by the way her jaw clenched shut, but she didn’t say anything to stop him.

“What are you doing here, Mritc?” Chrysalis asked. “I thought the council refused to reveal our existence to outsiders?”

The blue-haired changeling looked at her crossly. “Do not think there will not be consequences for your hive’s action, Queen. You have forced the council’s hooves, and for that, they are not pleased.”

Chrysalis smirked, drawing a look of confusion from Celestia. “We have done what you have been too cowardly to do all these years.”

“And you failed.”

“We may have fallen far, but we have yet to fail.”

Luna stamped a shoe against the ground. “Queen Chrysalis. Are you implying that you still intend to conquer us?”

Mritc’s reply was quick and harsh.“Silence, pony. These matters don’t concern you.”

Something shifted in Luna’s eyes, foretelling what would come next. “Guards! Seize him! I will not tolerate anyp-anyone speaking in such a manner.”

I wanted to shout, to tell them to stop, but my mouth was dry as I watched the guards step forwards to capture Mritc. For changelings, our size is often relative to our power in more cases than not. He stood half a head above even Chrysalis, and his form almost radiated his strength. Unlike the slender body of the changeling queen, his was lined with lean muscle. He could crush the guards as easily as taking a breath if he so chose, and to him, killing them would be like swatting a few flies.

Dread overwhelmed me with each step the guards took. I was waiting for Mritc to attack, to eradicate those who would dare raise a hoof against him. Even when a spear danced at his adam's apple, he chose not to move.

“You mistake your place,” he said calmly, taking a step forward. It took only two steps, but he danced around the guard like a ghost. The guard stared at the broken point of the spear, which hovered in front of his nose. “Yours is not a position of power.”
Wait... The way he had moved, the complete absence of emotion coming from him. It was just an illusion! “It’s just an–”

Mirra wrenched me back by the tail. “Do not interfere, Amethyst.”

The mirage smiled, regarding me in new light. “Mirra, is this really your apprentice? He seems to have a knack for realizing the obvious.”

“You seem to be a little full of yourself!” I snarled in challenge.

Mirra cuffed the back of my head hurriedly. “Quiet!”

“Yes,” he laughed. “Listen to your teacher like a good little pupa.”

“Excuse me,” Celestia interjected. “I fear we may have gotten off on the wrong hoof. Would you be willing to explain the situation to us? We’d be more to happy to aid you in any way we are able.”

What the hell? Had she just forgotten what had happened? He was not willing to listen, however elegant the words might be.

“There is nothing you can offer us,” he said.

Celestia walked towards the illusion. “Surely there must be something. Perhaps a meeting can be arranged with your council.” She offered out a hoof. “What do you say.”

The illusion slapped the offered hoof away. Wait, slapped? “Do you –”

His next words were lost in the roar of Celestia’s magic. The spell sped out of her horn, only to pass through Mritc and detonate against the wall behind him. Chunks of stone the size of my head exploded from the pillar, falling to the floor below. Celestia’s momentary elation passed as she realized her surprise attack had had no effect.

“Are you quite done yet, or do I have to make my point clear?” the illusion asked plainly.

Hidden defiance flared from behind her hastily constructed calm. “I will not stand by while you insinuate that my ponies worth any less than you! You are truly a monster, and I will not let a monster make demands of us!”

He simply smirked.

“Sister!” Luna’s cry was short and choked. I twisted my head to look at her, and my heart nearly froze at what I saw. A thin line of blood dribbled from Luna’s neck, dripping onto the floor. She held her head high, taking short, strangled breaths to stay atop the edge of whatever was there.

Celestia froze, her eyes going wide in horror. Her head whipped back around to the illusion, only for it to disappear. Mrtic appeared behind Luna, holding the knife which Tirith had held earlier. Not a trace of compassion existed in him. He would slit her throat as though he was only as moving his hoof. “I suggest you remind yourselves just how weak and incapable you are, princesses of dirt. For if you place one hoof out of line, we will cut it off.”

With that, he simply vanished. The instant the knife left her throat, Luna threw herself away from the chair, blasting where he had stood. The magic consumed the throne and burnt the wall, but there was nothing else among them. He was gone.

“See you in a few minutes.” Mirra whispered. By the time I glanced over my shoulder at her, she was gone too.

The doors to the throne room burst open, and a mess of guards poured into the room. At their head was Shining Armour. Of course. What else would happen?

Any question Shining had was thrown away when his eyes fell on Chrysalis. “You,” he snarled, lowering himself slightly. The glow of magic formed from his horn before I could even blink.

Celestia snapped from her horror, and turned quickly. “Captain!” her voice rang out clearly, cutting through the air like a knife. “Stand down!”

“Princess?”

“Stand down!”

The spell on his horn just itched to take the final step and throw itself at Chrysalis. With an irritated growl, Shining pushed the magic down, taking two steps forward to stand in front of her. “You’ve got a lot of nerve coming back here.”

Chrysalis lifted a leg, displaying the chains strung through them. She gave him a flat look. “It was hardly my choice.”

“Shining Armour, could you withhold your questions for the moment?” Luna asked.

He huffed, but fell silent.

“Thank you.” Her eyes fell on me. Well, shit. “Amethyst, I believe you have some questions to answer.”

No point in hiding the truth now. “I knew Cytri could speak Equestrian, but I didn’t know Chrysalis was her mother.”

“Why did you lie?” she asked.

“What would you have done if you had known she could?”

“Addressed her directly.”

I snorted. “If it was anything like you addressed me, you would have badgered and made demands from her endlessly.”

“So is that why you withheld the knowledge of her role in the attack?”

I opened my mouth, but Chrysalis beat me to it, though with a different response. “My daughter did not participate. I refused to let her risk the future of our hive.”

“Silence, Chrysalis,” Celestia ordered. “My sister’s question was not for you to answer.”

“Honestly, I didn’t know,” I admitted.

Silence descended on the hall, the weight and range of emotions astonishing. Strongest among them was Shining Armour’s and his absolute hatred of Chrysalis flowing from him like water. It seemed like Celestia bore ill-will towards Chrysalis, but now the reasons were a little murky. Tirith was ready to leap to the defense of his queen at a moment’s notice, wary of everyone. As for Luna, well, she just seemed to be unhappy with everything.

Cytri was the one to break the fragile quiet, her voice barely more than a whisper. “I’m sorry.”

“Cytri!” her mother admonished. “You have nothing to apologize for.” That was a bit of a stretch.

“No mother, I should. Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, I’m sorry for deceiving you. You too, Amethyst. I was just trying to protect the others. If you found out the truth, I don’t know what would have happened to them. I lied about our injuries because I had to. If anyone knew...”

Luna stared at Cytri, evaluating her, then nodded her head carefully. “I understand, Cytri, and seeing as how it has not affected anything, I think we should just let the matter pass. I have one question: why did you think you couldn’t tell us the truth?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” I interjected. “Take one look at those ponies hunting for changelings, and you’ve got all your reason right there.” Cytri nodded, shrinking behind her mother as I looked over.

Celestia sighed, straightening her shoulders. “Shining Armour, would you please escort Princess Cytri, Queen Chrysalis and Tirith back to their room.”

Shining Armour bristled. “But princess!”

“Captain, withhold your personal reservations till later. We wish to speak with Amethyst alone. Find Private Cake once you return them to their room. He should be in the broom closet on the seventh floor.”

He blinked, then snapped an ice cold salute. “Yes, Princess.”

“Chrysalis... We will speak later.”

The changeling queen snorted, but said nothing. Turning about, she strode for the door, Cytri following close behind.

The doors shut, leaving just me with Celestia and Luna. The guards had all left with Chrysalis, obviously more concerned with her than with the safety of their rulers. To be fair, I’m pretty sure Celestia and Luna could handle themselves better than their guards could protect them.

I shrieked as something stung me in the flank. I stumbled as I tried to turn about, recognizing my teacher’s laugh.

“I thought I told you to always be aware of your surroundings,” Mirra chuckled. “Nice shriek, by the way.”

I sighed, rubbing the bridge of my nose. “Yes, Mirra.”

“Pardon the interruption,” Luna said, “but why are you here?”

“Several reasons, actually, though mostly because of Amethyst. Can’t have my apprentice getting all uppity. Also, sorry about Mrtic. I know he is not the most agreeable of changelings.”

Luna rubbed at her neck, smearing a few drops of blood. “Thou art putting it lightly.”

Celestia shifted her weight, leveling her eye at my teacher. “Mirra, with all due respect, I will not tolerate anypony who believes themselves to be superior to another race. If you–”

“Yeah, that’s just him,” Mirra interrupted. “Although a fair number of hives and much of the council follow those lines of thought.”

Celestia took a breath, then hung her head. “It is unbelievable to believe that so many would hold such beliefs.”

“And now, princess, you know why Chrysalis invaded Canterlot.”

“What! Are you implying that the invasion was for our own protection? I’m afraid I don’t follow.”

Mirra shook her head. “You were more accurate than you realised, earlier. Chrysalis invaded, because not doing so would mean yielding her rule to another hive, the very same hive which Mrtic is from. By invading, even in the event the invasion failed, they would force the council into action. In a single day, Chrysalis has undone thousands of years of tradition.”

“Then why not just ask us for help?” Luna questioned. “Surely it–”

“That would mean lowering themselves down to the level of ponies, which would give the other hives a reason to look down upon them, not to mention taking months of work. That would give the council plenty of time to stop her, and you know how nasty politics can get. Furthermore... How would be the best way to put this... Chrysalis would sooner become a monster than have her children suffer. She would not hesitate to kill you if it meant protecting her subjects, especially her daughter.”

“Not that we are not grateful, Mirra, but why are you telling us this?” Luna asked. “I thought...” she hesitated as she struggled with the sound, “Mrtic, didn’t want to tell us anything.”

“He wouldn’t give a pony the time of day, but as for the rest of it? The council suggests you put everything behind you now.”

“And if we don’t?”

“Then they will make it happen.” The certainty of teacher’s tone was frightening.

“And how would they do that? Another invasion would not accomplish those goals, nor would harassing us.”

Mirra laughed “An invasion is just about the last option on the table, behind driving you from what you call Equestria. Really, though, the council could do it if they wanted. They are so integrated into your government that without them, it would collapse.”

“Aren’t you revealing just a little too much? Telling us you have operatives in our government.”

Teacher’s smile was dangerous. “And you think it matters? Yes, there are changelings in your government, but plenty of it is more subtle. Backers of politicians who are favourable to our causes, events which happen to sway public opinion... Even if you were to find some, the search would bring about paranoia which would either bring down the government or leave Equestria in civil unrest, if not civil war. I don’t think you would want either of those. I’m telling you because I don’t want you to be making any rash decisions.”
Celestia and Luna shared a few quiet words, their tones worried, though I imagine they were pretty panicked. Hell, I wasn’t particularly pleased to hear teacher say all that. It sure made me question them. Was the Equestrian government even more of a sham then I thought it was, though for entirely different reasons? Anything which even remotely affected the changelings would have been nudged to better suit their requirements. The scary part was that I could see exactly how they would do it.

“Is there anything more you can tell us, Mirra?”

“I’ll admit, that is about it,” she answered. “I do have one thing to ask of you, though.”

“And what is that?”

“I would like to resume Amethyst’s training. It’s been too long since I last taught him, something my duties to the council prevented me from doing. Would you have a room available for us later on?”

Though I hoped otherwise, I knew what the answer would be. Or rather, I knew what their conditions would be. “So long as we are able to sit in, I see no reason why not,” Celestia answered. And there is was.

“I don’t see why not. I think I’ll be going now; I’m sure you have guests to attend to. I’ll drop by tomorrow.” A swirling portal of yellow fire formed on the floor beside Mirra with a flick of her horn. It was one of the most difficult spells I hoped to learn,

“Mirra!” Luna called out after her.

She turned, sinking into the portal and raised an eyebrow.

“Thank you for the information.”

And with that, teacher was gone.